Author Topic: Questioning Obama's Judgment  (Read 485 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Questioning Obama's Judgment
« on: April 30, 2008, 12:31:13 AM »
Interesting discussion on Larry King.  In summarizing Obama's latest denunciation of Wright, the liberal Lanny Davis said what a lot of people think and summarized why this Wright thing is a legitimate issue.  Even Al Sharpton agreed. :o

DAVIS: Yes. And I was impressed with his performance. But I have to respectfully say to my friend, Reverend Sharpton, and Flavia, you know, I may be the odd man out here, but I am still uneasy with his judgment. In all these years, what he said today was well taken, but late. And I do not understand why he remained silent over the years, with "chickens coming home to roost," 9/11 is America's fault...

KING: Well, hasn't that been said over the years?

DAVIS: It has been said in 2001. In 2003, he said "God damned America." And in 2007, he said "the United States of white America." He has been making these sermons over the years. And while I greatly respect Senator Obama for what he did today -- and I certainty do not attribute any of those views to him -- it is an appropriate question, me, personally speaking, I am uneasy why he was silent, why he still appointed him to his religious advisory committee...

KING: OK.

DAVIS: ...and why it took until today to finally use the language that I appreciate his using today.

KING: I'll get...

COLGAN: Larry, could you permit me...

KING: Hold it. Hold it, Flavia.

COLGAN: Sorry. Could you permit me just to talk about this from a theological standpoint, just for a quick second?

KING: All right, quick.

COLGAN: OK. I agree with Jamal in that, you know, you can't back up everything your church always does. Hillary Clinton, for instance, is the only candidate in the race who is part of a religion, the Methodist Church, that, in writing and in their doctrine, says that it's impossible to be a Christian and a gay person. Now, obviously, that's not how Hillary Clinton feels. And she's never felt that she needs to come out and say by the way, I'm a member and I feel strongly...

KING: I see.

COLGAN: ...as well, about the Methodist Church.

So I really think that we have to look at liberation theology in general.

SHARPTON: You've got to have one standard.

COLGAN: Yes.

SHARPTON: You have to have one standard. I think the problem with my friend's position there is, first of all, they keep talking about 20 years he's been a member. There was 20 years of events. There was no 9/11 20 years ago. So we can't act like this is an ongoing judgment.

I think that Barack Obama -- I first heard of Barack Obama when he was a state senator running for Congress. What he was saying then, what he said at the convention, what he said in the Senate is what he's saying now.

KING: Most people heard him on that...

SHARPTON: And I think that this is not somebody changing. This guy has always been inclusive. That -- you know, the irony is that when he started running, Larry, we were sitting around saying, is he black enough?

Now we try to make him too black by somebody else's blackness. I mean, so now he becomes too black by some miracle of media.

I mean come on, the man is what he is. And I think that's what he came out today. Whether I agree or disagree everything he said...

DAVIS: And I don't...

SHARPTON: ...I've got to respect him.

DAVIS: And I don't disagree with you, Al. And I, again, admire what he did say. I have an appropriate and legitimate unease at his silence in the face of this since 2001, 2003, 2007 and 2008 -- silence in the face of what I believe was hate speech. And so that's my unease.

And I hope, as a Democrat, that he can explain further why he remained silent over the years, because if he's our nominee -- and I believe Hillary will be -- I want to be enthusiastic. And right now, Al, I feel uneasy.

SHARPTON: Well, I agree with you...

COLGAN: But, Lanny, from a...

SHARPTON: ...in this sense...

COLGAN: Lanny, from a Christian stance...

SHARPTON: Can I just say this?

COLGAN: Sure.

SHARPTON: Let me say this quickly. I agree with your sense of uneasiness, because I will be at the convention and I will have to say...

DAVIS: Thank you, Al.

SHARPTON: ...that I will have to judge whether Senator Obama really knew some statements, which he said he didn't...

DAVIS: Thank you.

. . .

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0804/29/lkl.01.html

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
Re: Questioning Obama's Judgment
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2008, 01:04:18 AM »
I don't think it's a legit issue for one second... sure maybe some but in the pecking order of issues, this is fucking goddamned stupid.