Author Topic: Jay Cutler has Type I diabetes  (Read 1497 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Jay Cutler has Type I diabetes
« on: May 03, 2008, 08:12:25 AM »
The Denver Broncos player, not Mr. O

DENVER (AP) -- Jay Cutler realizes he should have recognized something was wrong last season when lost 35 pounds and some zip on his famous fastballs.

"I had no energy," the Denver Broncos' third-year quarterback said Friday. "We thought it might be stress and the grind of going through a whole season. But once I got back here and started working out again, I just wasn't making any improvement. I wasn't getting any stronger. I was still losing weight."

Routine blood tests that are required before players participate in the team's offseason strength and conditioning program revealed the answer: His sugars were about five times higher than normal.

The 25-year-old quarterback met with doctors last month, who told him he's an insulin-dependent diabetic. He got a crash course in the disease and its ramifications if uncontrolled.

"It's a little overwhelming to get that news and realize you're going to have to completely change your life," said Cutler, who accepted his fate after a few days.

"It's not something that's going to go away," Cutler said. "It's something I'm going to have to deal with my entire life and you've got to come to grips with that."

He said he never worried about his career being in jeopardy.

"No. That's the first thing they said to me: 'It's going to affect your lifestyle a little bit, but you'll be able to continue to play football,"' Cutler said. "I'm not the first athlete to get diabetes and I won't be the last."

Other professional athletes who dealt with diabetes and had successful careers include NFL quarterback Wade Wilson; tennis stars Arthur Ashe and Billie Jean King, Olympic swimmer Gary Hall Jr., NHL star Bobby Clarke, baseball Hall of Famer Ty Cobb and boxing greats Joe Frazier and Sugar Ray Robinson.

As long as Cutler manages his disease through exercise, medication and diet, there's no medical reason he wouldn't be able to continue performing at the NFL level. He'll have to monitor his blood glucose levels during games and drink some Gatorade if his sugars drop too low or take a shot of insulin if they skyrocket.

"It's a big adjustment," Cutler said. "You're 25 years old, you're used to eating whatever you want, doing whatever you want. If you want to go out to lunch, go ahead and go. Now, you're counting carbs and eating healthier and injecting insulin at the table. You've got to have your insulin, your needles, your glucose meter, yeah, it's a big change. But it's something you have to deal with."

FullROM

• Getbig III
  • GetBig
Re: Jay Cutler has Type I diabetes
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2008, 09:35:38 AM »
How's the weight gain man?

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2008, 09:40:02 AM »
Doesn't that basketball player with the really bad mustache have Diabetes also? I never realized Sugar Ray Robinson had Diabetes, greatest fighter ever.

gordiano

• Getbig V
  • TEAM "CUTE PENIS", TEAM TRIFLIN' RONNIE COLEMAN
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2008, 10:01:23 AM »
Cool....now both Cutler's share a name, and insulin.....
HAHA, RON.....

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2008, 10:03:05 AM »
How's the weight gain man?

Cutler dropped from 240 to 203 in one season.  He's back up to 223 now thanks to insulin.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2008, 11:04:17 AM »
Hi, Chick's thread, 3 hours too late.

jetpower

• Getbig III
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2008, 11:07:11 AM »
Hi, Chick's thread, 3 hours too late.
Yes, but this thread doesn't have The Coach sanctimoniously preaching the evils of insulin.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2008, 11:10:35 AM »
Yes, but this thread doesn't have The Coach sanctimoniously preaching the evils of insulin.

Insulin = evil.

Rush Limbaugh dreaming of riots in American cities = patriotic?

I'm so confused.

jetpower

• Getbig III
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2008, 11:11:31 AM »
Insulin = evil.

Rush Limbaugh dreaming of riots in American cities = patriotic?

I'm so confused.
V for Vendetta