Author Topic: Study: Restaurant tobacco bans influence teen smoking  (Read 2570 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Study: Restaurant tobacco bans influence teen smoking
« on: May 05, 2008, 04:30:24 PM »
Good.

May 5, 7:06 PM EDT

Study: Restaurant tobacco bans influence teen smoking

By STEVE LeBLANC
Associated Press Writer

BOSTON (AP) -- A Massachusetts study suggests that restaurant smoking bans may play a big role in persuading teens not to become smokers. Youths who lived in towns with strict bans were 40 percent less likely to become regular smokers than those in communities with no bans or weak ones, the researchers reported in the May issue of the Archives of Pediatrics & Adolescent Medicine.

The findings back up the idea that smoking bans discourage tobacco use in teens by sending the message that smoking is frowned upon in the community, as well as simply by reducing their exposure to smokers in public places, said Dr. Michael Siegel, of Boston University School of Public Health, and the study's lead author.

"When kids grow up in an environment where they don't see smoking, they are going to think it's not socially acceptable," he said. "If they perceive a lot of other people are smoking, they think it's the norm."

Siegel and his colleagues tracked 2,791 children between ages 12 and 17 who lived throughout Massachusetts. There were no statewide restrictions when the study began in 2001 but about 100 cities and towns had enacted a hodgepodge of laws restricting smoking in workplaces, bars or restaurants.

The teens were followed for four years to see how many tried smoking and how many eventually became smokers.

Overall, about 9 percent became smokers - defined as smoking more than 100 cigarettes.

In towns without bans or where smoking was restricted to a designated area, that rate was nearly 10 percent. But in places with tough bans prohibiting smoking in restaurants, just under 8 percent of the teens became smokers.

The study found that having a smoker as a parent or a close friend was a factor in predicting whether children experiment with cigarettes. But strong bans had a bigger influence on whether smoking grew into a habit, reducing their chances of becoming smokers by 40 percent.

"There is really no other smoking intervention program that could cut almost in half the rate of smoking," Siegel said.

Age was also a factor. Smoking bans had a greater effect on younger teens than on older teens.

The researchers said it's not clear whether strong bans would have the same effect in other states since local towns adopted their restrictions as part of an aggressive anti-smoking campaign throughout the state.

A statewide workplace smoking ban that included restaurants went into effect in mid-2004. Since then, high school smoking rates in Massachusetts have continued to decline, from about 21 percent of students in 2005 to about 18 percent in 2007.

Many restaurant owners fought the ban, saying it could drive away diners, according to Janine Harrod, director of government affairs for the Massachusetts Restaurant Association, which represents 2,000 restaurant owners.

While some restaurants were hurt initially, the effects have eased over time since the ban applies to everyone, she said.

Bill Phelps, a spokesman for Altria, parent company of cigarette-maker Philip Morris USA, said the study shows that the reasons teens take up smoking are complex.

"There is no single reason why young people engage in risky behaviors like smoking," he said. "We believe that there should be a multifaceted approach to address youth smoking."

At least 23 states, the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico require most public places and workplaces, including restaurants and bars, to be smoke free, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures.

Another nine states ban smoking in workplaces but have various exemptions for restaurants or bars.

"We already have more than enough evidence why we should pass these smoke-free laws, but certainly this study should help push them along," said Danny McGoldick of the Campaign for Tobacco Free Kids.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/T/TEEN_SMOKING_RESTAURANTS?SITE=HIHAD&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: Study: Restaurant tobacco bans influence teen smoking
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2008, 04:54:03 PM »
brutally unimportant issue.

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2008, 06:06:41 PM »
brutally unimportant issue.

Nice trolling.   ;D

Yeah maybe so but as a non-smoker.........

I think the no-smoking thing started out ok and with the right intentions, but it is fast approaching the over-board realm.  California, which can be considered a no-smoking state prohibited smoking in Bars a few years back.  I think if a person who owns a bar should be able to provide a place people can drink and smoke.  I don't know why you can't have smoking bars and non-smoking bars.  As a result, some bars......whose names i will not mention  8), have resorted to declaring part of their bars a residence and even have gone as far as giving it a different address. 

BTW, I'm glad restaurants do that.  Nothing spoils food more than cig smoke.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2008, 06:51:44 PM »
Nice trolling.   ;D

Yeah maybe so but as a non-smoker.........

I think the no-smoking thing started out ok and with the right intentions, but it is fast approaching the over-board realm.  California, which can be considered a no-smoking state prohibited smoking in Bars a few years back.  I think if a person who owns a bar should be able to provide a place people can drink and smoke.  I don't know why you can't have smoking bars and non-smoking bars.  As a result, some bars......whose names i will not mention  8), have resorted to declaring part of their bars a residence and even have gone as far as giving it a different address. 

BTW, I'm glad restaurants do that.  Nothing spoils food more than cig smoke.

There was an outcry from some about the restaurant/bar ban here, but it really hasn't negatively impacted business at all.  I haven't been to a sports bar to watch a game since the ban, but I quit going years ago after inhaling a pack of cigarettes.   >:(  Getting my own big screen helped too.   :)

Anything we can do to discourage kids from smoking is a good thing.   

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2008, 07:24:23 PM »
There was an outcry from some about the restaurant/bar ban here, but it really hasn't negatively impacted business at all.  I haven't been to a sports bar to watch a game since the ban

So if you havent been to any places, how can you know they're unaffected?

I'll play on your irrelevant thread.

Smoking ban was a terrible idea.  Most FL bars simply ignored it, because the ones that followed it went outta business.  People who drink also usually smoke.  This is a fact.  I have never tried a cig in my life, but 99% of all bar patrons and workers do smoke. 

you make people stand up, leave their drink on the counter (dangerous) and go into the heat/cold to smoke.  They lose their sink, they lose their drink, they are outside at night in a bad area, and they go to their cars and leave. 

It completely killed the bar scene in SW Fla.  Then there was a uniform 'ignore' and unenforced policy just to keep local economy alive.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2008, 07:43:06 PM »
Hey!

Turn the boat around and let's go back for another pass.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2008, 10:21:13 PM »
Hey!

Turn the boat around and let's go back for another pass.

:)

Wednesday, March 12, 2008
Study: Smoking ban doesn't hurt tourism
Pacific Business News (Honolulu)

The Hawaii Department of Health says the state's year-old anti-smoking law has not hurt the hospitality or tourism industries.

State health officials on Wednesday released the results of a $13,000 study by Andrew Hyland and Cheryl Higbee of the Roswell Park Cancer Institute in Buffalo, N.Y. The institute has studied the economic impact of similar smoke-free workplace laws in other states including New York and Delaware.

Anti-smoking activists and supporters of the law have insisted that it can't be blamed for a declining economy. Those opposing the law have argued that it has drained Hawaii business owners of customers and profits and is directly responsible for a drop in visitor arrivals and spending.

The institute's report, which used data collected from the state Department of Business, Economic Development and Tourism, did show slight dips in visitor spending and arrivals but concluded that other variables and changing trends are at play.

Among the highlights:

Overall total monthly visitor spending in Hawaii was comparable in the years before and after the law took effect -- $1.038 billion before November 2006 and $1.018 billion after that.

Overall total monthly spending from Japanese visitors was $183 million before November 2006 and $168 million after that.

The average number of monthly visitor arrivals to Hawaii in the year before the law took effect was 616,895 compared to 615,106 in the year after November 2006.

There were 212 more people working in Hawaii's visitor industry after the law went into effect in November 2006 than in the previous year.

There were 1,591 more jobs in the food and beverage services sector after the law went into effect.

http://www.bizjournals.com/pacific/stories/2008/03/10/daily28.html

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2008, 05:12:48 AM »
3 days ago i heard the exact opposite. Someone cited that it played along in the personal fables teenagers undergo. Also they "tracked" children 12-17, what does that mean? They handpicked students who would fit their agenda.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2008, 05:54:29 AM »
I definitely think there should be a tobacco ban.

Anyone who disagree should google COPD.

It starts out like astma for many people, but the difference is that the lung capacity won't recover when the smoking stops.

And it often leads to death.

It costs not only lives, but tremendous pain and is expensive as hell for our society.

COPD would be almost non-existent if there would be no smokers.

As empty as paradise

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2008, 06:06:25 AM »
It should be up to the club owner whether or not to allow smoking.

patrons can decide to stay, or choose a place that doesn't allow smoking.

restaurants are something else.  but bars?  nearly everyone there smokes.

BB, you can cite some lame hawaiian study if you'd like... you've already been living in a scared bubble and even the far-right people here are now agreeing youre an out-of-touch liberal liar.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2008, 06:41:35 AM »

BB, you can cite some lame hawaiian study if you'd like... you've already been living in a scared bubble and even the far-right people here are now agreeing youre an out-of-touch liberal liar.

I agree with the club thing and agree that all restaurants should be smoke free.

As far as keeping kids from starting to smoke.......any thing that helps, no matter how little is good.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2008, 06:55:50 AM »
I agree with the club thing and agree that all restaurants should be smoke free.

As far as keeping kids from starting to smoke.......any thing that helps, no matter how little is good.

I'd rather the local economies in all 50 states do well.

I don't see how preventing smoking in bars - where you have to be 21 to get in the door anyway - stops kids from smoking.

This issue should be separated.  Grouping restaurants and bars only closes bars unnecessarily.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2008, 06:57:30 AM »
I'd rather the local economies in all 50 states do well.

I don't see how preventing smoking in bars - where you have to be 21 to get in the door anyway - stops kids from smoking.

This issue should be separated.  Grouping restaurants and bars only closes bars unnecessarily.

I'm not saying the existing laws are good and therefore should be kept becuase it keeps children from smoking.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2008, 06:58:42 AM »
I'm not saying the existing laws are good and therefore should be kept becuase it keeps children from smoking.

I know.  I agree with you.  I'm a big fan since you admitted the official 9/11 story is a sham.  Took a lot of courage.

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2008, 07:19:33 AM »
I love that there is no smoking in resturants and sports bars that serve food anymore.   Huge improvement.
However, private clubs should be left alone.

The issue is that smoking undeniably affects others negatively so a ban on public indoor places is appropriate in the aim of protecting our health....but in the effort not to restrict freedoms excessively, there should be no restrictions in the open air (away from building entrances) or private clubs.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2008, 07:50:04 AM »

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2008, 07:51:58 AM »
have you finished that sam walton book yet?

I remember you gave us the book review then didn't know who the waltons were.

not your finest moment.  Liberal.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2008, 07:52:32 AM »
I love that there is no smoking in resturants and sports bars that serve food anymore.   Huge improvement.
However, private clubs should be left alone.

The issue is that smoking undeniably affects others negatively so a ban on public indoor places is appropriate in the aim of protecting our health....but in the effort not to restrict freedoms excessively, there should be no restrictions in the open air (away from building entrances) or private clubs.

That might be a good compromise (open air).  

The ban has apparently been pretty well received here:

74% of Hawaii Residents in Favor of Smoke-Free Law      
Written by KGMB9 News - news@kgmb9.com    
April 23, 2008 12:23 PM  
An overwhelming majority of Hawaii residents support the Smoke-Free law, according to a survey commissioned by the Coalition for a Tobacco-Free Hawaii (CTFH). Fifteen months after the Smoke-Free law took effect, support for Hawaii's Smoke-Free Law continues to increase. According to study results from Ward Research, nearly three-quarters (74 percent) of Hawaii residents strongly favor the Smoke-Free Law. This represents an increase of eight percent from initial survey results recorded in February 2007.

In February 2008, Ward Research was commissioned by CTFH to track any changes in Hawaii resident attitudes toward the Smoke-Free Law. Results of this survey indicate that 74 percent of Hawaii residents now strongly favor the law, compared to 66 percent in February 2007.
Eighty-two percent of respondents strongly agreed that all workers in Hawaii should be protected from exposure to secondhand smoke in the workplace. This statistic increases to 95 percent for Hawaii residents aged 35 to 54.

Eighty-three percent strongly agreed that it's really nice to enjoy restaurants and bars in Hawaii without smelling like cigarette smoke when you get home. Now that they are smoke free, 80 percent of Hawaii residents strongly agreed that restaurants and bars are healthier for customers and employees.
In an economy where 80 percent of consumer purchases are driven by women, it should be noted that females are significantly more likely than males to be in favor of the public smoking ban, smoke-free workplace, and to agree that smoke-free restaurants and bars are healthier for customers and employees. Eighty-one percent of females interviewed strongly favor the Smoke-Free law.

Hawaii residents with higher household income are more likely to agree with Smoke-Free law. Ninety-six percent of respondents with a household income of $100,000 and above agree that restaurants and bars are healthier for customers and employees now that they are smoke-free.

Hawaii became the 14th state to join a national and international movement to protect people from the dangers of secondhand smoke, since then, 11 other states have passed smoke-free work-place laws. Under Hawaii's law all enclosed and partially enclosed workplaces are now smoke-free, including bars, nightclubs, airports and shopping malls.

CTFH was instrumental in the passage of Hawaii's smoke-free law designed to protect people from secondhand smoke while at work and in most public places.

The Coalition for a Tobacco-Free Hawaii represents agencies, businesses and individuals working together to reduce the negative impact of tobacco in the islands. For more information about the Coalition visit www.tobaccofreehawaii.or g.

http://kgmb9.com/main/content/view/5823/40/

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2008, 07:57:36 AM »
74% of Hawaii Residents in Favor of Smoke-Free Law      

The problem is that these measures are psased by people like you, voters who admit they don't even go to bars - but they just want to 'help the children'.

#1 - there are no kids in bars to be influenced.
#2 - they should hold the election at the bars so that only those affected - the patrons and the owners - can vote on the issue. 

You have elderly folks and high school dropout college professors telling bar owners how to run their business, when they'll never step foot in these places.  They just don't like smoking.  (i dont either) But I respect the rights of others to smoke, and I sure respect the right of business owners to allow/not allow smoking in their 21+ age area.

It doesn't affect most people in any way.  but locally in florida, it put dozens of clubs out of business.  I suppose it means you're also voting for higher unemployment and a weaker local economy :)

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2008, 08:10:03 AM »
I know.  I agree with you.  I'm a big fan since you admitted the official 9/11 story is a sham.  Took a lot of courage.

Oh brother.

No it didn't.  It took brains and common sense.  The same stuff it takes to see that it wasn't holograms of a planes hitting the WTC's.   :D  ;) ;D

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2008, 08:25:01 AM »
Oh brother.

No it didn't.  It took brains and common sense.  The same stuff it takes to see that it wasn't holograms of a planes hitting the WTC's.   :D  ;) ;D

You rock, brother.

That means that 2/3 of the moderators don't believe the story, just as 2/3 of Americans don't believe it.

Balance has been achieved@!

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2008, 08:29:40 AM »
You rock, brother.

That means that 2/3 of the moderators don't believe the story, just as 2/3 of Americans don't believe it.

Balance has been achieved@!

Yes, we Mods are a cross section of the American public!   This proves it!   ;D

Time to march on the White House!

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2008, 08:32:35 AM »
Time to march on the White House!

Disagree.

Time to win in november by an uncheatable margin.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2008, 08:33:35 AM »
Disagree.

Time to win in november by an uncheatable margin.

Good luck with that.  We'll need it.   :(

War-Horse

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2008, 08:35:42 AM »
I have no sympathy for smokers.  Nothing good comes out of it.  If you want to kill yourself, do it around yourself then.     More toxins in ciggs than a car exhaust pipe...wonder why that never caught on.. ;D