Author Topic: Clinton/McCain Gasoline-Tax Plans Denounced by More Than 200 Economists...  (Read 1282 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
May 5 (Bloomberg) -- More than 200 economists, including four Nobel prize winners, signed a letter rejecting proposals by presidential candidates Hillary Clinton and John McCain to offer a summertime gas-tax holiday.

Columbia University economist Joseph Stiglitz, former Congressional Budget Office Director Alice Rivlin and 2007 Nobel winner Roger Myerson are among those who signed the letter calling proposals to temporarily lift the tax a bad idea. Another is Richard Schmalensee of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, who was member of President George H.W. Bush's Council of Economic Advisers.

The moratorium would mostly benefit oil companies while increasing the federal budget deficit and reducing funding for the government highway maintenance trust fund, the economists said.

``Suspending the federal tax on gasoline this summer is a bad idea, and we oppose it,'' the letter says. Economist Henry Aaron of the Brookings Institution is among those circulating the letter. Aaron said that while he supports Obama, the list includes Republicans and Clinton supporters.

The gas-tax suspension has become a flashpoint in the race for the Democrat presidential nomination between New York Senator Clinton and Illinois Senator Barack Obama. Clinton and Republican McCain tout the proposal as an example of their concern for struggling middle-class families. Obama, who estimated it would save the average driver less than $30, calls the idea a ``gimmick,'' rejecting it on similar grounds as the economists.

War-Horse

• Getbig V
It is a gimmick.  18cents a gallon  wont help anyone.    We need bigger bites...

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
This was for people who are too stupid to look into what politicians say.

Which, on considering the presidential candidates over the last 20 years, is better then 60% of America

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
I guess I called that right, not that it was a hard call to make ::) lol

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
hilary is a mess.  i hope obama wins 2x tomorrow so we can get the real race going. 

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
Any ideas on a what a president can do to bring prices down?

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244

I would tell you, ...but then you'd call it spamming.
w

Neurotoxin

• Getbig IV
This was for people who are too stupid to look into what politicians say.

Which, on considering the presidential candidates over the last 20 years, is better then 60% of America

i was thinking more like 99.8%

NT

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
Makes sense.  We need immediate relief thats sustainable.

War-Horse

• Getbig V

Obamas leaning the right way.  Tax oil heavily on $80 or more a barrel.   Some may say this isnt fair but the gov is always butting in "For the good of the nation"

See  "Eminant domain"  Land grabs.