Author Topic: McGovern to Clinton: Time to go  (Read 517 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
McGovern to Clinton: Time to go
« on: May 07, 2008, 09:00:26 AM »
More supporters jumping ship. 

May 7, 2008
McGovern to Clinton: Time to go
Posted: 11:43 AM ET
(CNN) — Former Democratic presidential candidate and North Dakota Sen. George McGovern is switching his support to Barack Obama and actively urging Hillary Clinton to drop out of the presidential race, CNN has confirmed.

McGovern is not a Democratic superdelegate, though he is the first major Clinton supporter to publicly suggest the New York senator should abandon her presidential bid following Tuesday night's results.

According to the Associated Press, McGovern now feels it is impossible for Clinton to win the nomination following her tight win in Indiana and bruising defeat in North Carolina.

McGovern formally endorsed Clinton last October, saying then, "I think that if we can elect her president, she'll be a greater president even than her brilliant husband."

McGovern has been a longtime friend of both Clintons. The couple's long political career has its roots in McGovern's 1972 presidential campaign, during which both Clintons were dispatched to Texas to run the candidates operation there.

McGovern told the AP he will call former President to inform him of his decision. He also said he will remain a good friend of the Clintons.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
Re: McGovern to Clinton: Time to go
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 09:57:46 AM »

At this point, the damage has been done. 

By bowing out now, she saves face and gets credit for taking the high road, despite the fact that she destroyed the Dems chances of winning the White House. 

That's just how the Clintons roll...they know how to extract every possible gain from any situation.

If she quits before June, I *guarantee* she will run again in 2012. 

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 10:52:44 AM »
She should bow out at this point...unless they are going to count Michigan and Florida, she has no reasonable chance of winning.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 01:53:01 PM »
I don't know about all y'all, ...but I want to see footage of the old girl collapsing and her euthanization on the track.

She was a tough girl, ...but just didn't have what it took to go up against Big Brown!

Never ask for whom the eight belles toll, ...they toll for thee Clinton supporters! Long live Big Brown!  :D
w

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 01:59:44 PM »
I don't know about all y'all, ...but I want to see footage of the old girl collapsing and her euthanization on the track.

She was a tough girl, ...but just didn't have what it took to go up against Big Brown!

Never ask for whom the eight belles toll, ...they toll for thee Clinton supporters! Long live Big Brown!  :D

LOL @ your very timely Big Brown reference!

This qualifies as an *instant classic*.