Author Topic: Race-Conscious Democrats Would Vote for McCain  (Read 988 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Race-Conscious Democrats Would Vote for McCain
« on: May 08, 2008, 09:00:10 AM »

Wednesday, May 7, 2008 12:14 PM

Less than half of white voters in Tuesday’s Indiana primary who consider race an important factor would vote for Barack Obama in the general election, exit polls reveal.

In Indiana, 13 percent of white voters called race an important factor in their vote, according to the polls reported by ABC News. In North Carolina, 14 percent of voters in Tuesday’s election cited race as an important factor.

Among those voters in Indiana, only 49 percent said they would support Obama against Republican John McCain in November. The rest said they would vote for McCain or sit out the election.

In North Carolina, 46 percent said they’d opt for the Republican or not vote at all, ABC News reported.

Among the large majority of whites who said race was not an important factor, 67 percent in Indiana and 64 percent in North Carolina said they would support Obama against McCain in November.

http://www.newsmax.com/insidecover/exit_poll_Dems_for_McCain/2008/05/07/94126.html

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: Race-Conscious Democrats Would Vote for McCain
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 09:26:47 AM »
If you are a dem, and you have enough money that race matters more to you than taxes,

You are called a Republican :)

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 10:08:23 AM »

I'm surprised at the honesty of those polls (even though we know the real numbers are actually higher). 

240 - you've been in denial about the race issue this whole time, man, and I've maintained all along that many of the Clinton voters are there simply because the alternative is black. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 10:11:57 AM »
240 - you've been in denial about the race issue this whole time, man, and I've maintained all along that many of the Clinton voters are there simply because the alternative is black. 

I know race is a legitimate issue.  In 2004, he would have gotten creamed on it.

However it is 2008.  We're on the brink of a recession, dollar is weak, we're losing TWo wars despite spending a trillion dollars on them, and Bush/Cheney admit they don't give a shit about public opinoin.

A lot of people are out of work.  A lot lost their health insurance.  A lot have seen business drop.

I believe the vast majority of them would vote for a purple dinosaur if he promised to change the shitty stuff they've suddenly faced in the last year.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 10:17:56 AM »
many of the Clinton voters

Precisely - those chose hilary over obama - that means (since hil/obama positions are near identical) that they want obama's policy but not his skin. 

Clinton lets them have both (dem policy and white skin).
Mccain does not.

The voters have to choose either skin color, or wallet/healthcare/war.  I believe most will accept his skin color if it means they have more $.

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008, 10:46:25 AM »
I honestly think its more than skin color for most of those people (some not, I agree)...but many non-blacks fear blacks associated in any way with black liberation theology (ie the Rev Wright types) or those who focus on past injustices in a more hostile way.  If you have Condelezza or Powell, who are farther removed from these kinds of issues, you'd see less opposition.  I'm not saying Obama is the same as Wright, Sharpton, jackson, etc...but looking at his past there is at least some documented influence/connection and I think that scares people considering the presidency is the most important position in the land.  Even some of the things he writes in his book about race and his internal struggles, while I think they are insightful personally, we aren't used to hearing those things from presidents.

If he was more moderate and did not have past connections with people like Wright and others on the far left, it would be a hell of a lot easier for him in the general election.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2008, 10:47:16 AM »
I know race is a legitimate issue. 

::)

race is an issue addressed by ignorant folks who can't understand the economy or the war.

My point is that it's only an issue to people who are stupid, petty, and who can't comprehend issues that matter. 

... for stupid people.

Obama put it into his speech because the media, pandering to stupid viewers, made it an issue.

Obama, pandering to stupid voters who love race issues, made his speech.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2008, 12:16:27 PM »
beach bum sucks.  hth.

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2008, 03:12:28 PM »
from now on when i wanna be racist i'll just say i'm Race conscious! ;D
carpe` vaginum!

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2008, 02:01:55 AM »

Wednesday, May 7, 2008 12:14 PM

Less than half of white voters in Tuesday’s Indiana primary who consider race an important factor would vote for Barack Obama in the general election, exit polls reveal.

In Indiana, 13 percent of white voters called race an important factor in their vote, according to the polls reported by ABC News. In North Carolina, 14 percent of voters in Tuesday’s election cited race as an important factor.

Among those voters in Indiana, only 49 percent said they would support Obama against Republican John McCain in November. The rest said they would vote for McCain or sit out the election.

In North Carolina, 46 percent said they’d opt for the Republican or not vote at all, ABC News reported.

Among the large majority of whites who said race was not an important factor, 67 percent in Indiana and 64 percent in North Carolina said they would support Obama against McCain in November.

http://www.newsmax.com/insidecover/exit_poll_Dems_for_McCain/2008/05/07/94126.html

Whoa, ...hold the phone. Is that some wierd spin or what?

Of those who say race is a factor "only" 49% said they would support Obama against McCain. (Gotta love the only)  ::)

The rest would either support McCain or sit out the election.

That means Obama gets 49% of the vote, ...with the remaining 51% being split between McCain or no vote at all.

That spells certain victory for Obama (from my lips to God's ears!)

Am I the only one who interpreted that article correctly, ...or has the spin spun it's magic and confounded you all?
w

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2008, 06:11:43 AM »
It was only a democratic primary in Indiana jag.  I don't believe that only 49% of those democratic voters will go for Obama.  However, as McCain is a very moderate republican with most issues, there will inevitably be a good # of democrats voting for McCain.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2008, 06:35:50 AM »

The thing is, a majority of the Whites we're talking about here had no intention of ever voting for Obama, even if he was a moderate.

Rev. Wright is the excuse that many will use, but the smart liars (who choose to answer) will simply say, "He's inexperienced". 

And these things are ok.  I love my country and despite the outcome, his successful run thusfar is indeed a sign of progress.  I felt that needed to be said. 

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2008, 06:44:23 AM »
It was only a democratic primary in Indiana jag.  I don't believe that only 49% of those democratic voters will go for Obama.  However, as McCain is a very moderate republican with most issues, there will inevitably be a good # of democrats voting for McCain.
cancel that with his promise of war for hundreds/thousands of years ::)  He's to crazy to get a lot of dem votes.  And this will only translate into dems viewing him as another Bush, period.  Dems are threatening now because we're in the primary.  They'll rally behind the nominee...

a_joker10

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2008, 08:33:30 AM »
So were the blacks that didn't vote before Obama ran, considered race conscious or just racist.
What one groups sees as inclusive other groups see as divisive and all groups have members that vote a certain way because of certain criteria.

For example, there was talk that many evangelicals won't vote because there isn't a candidate that supports their issue.
Z