Author Topic: McCain’s Navy Records Detail Commendations  (Read 2450 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
McCain’s Navy Records Detail Commendations
« on: May 08, 2008, 09:01:06 AM »
McCain’s Navy Records Detail Commendations
by Associated Press
Wednesday, May 7, 2008

WASHINGTON — From his five years in a North Vietnamese prison camp to his tenure as the Navy’s liaison to the Senate, John McCain’s Navy record boils down to a series of unadorned paragraphs that bestow upon him some of the nation’s top military honors.

The Navy recently released McCain’s military record — most of it citations for medals during his Navy career — after a Freedom of Information Act request by The Associated Press.

McCain was awarded a Silver Star Medal for resisting “extreme mental and physical cruelties” inflicted upon him by his captors from late October to early December 1967, the early months of his captivity, according to the citation. The North Vietnamese, according to the Navy, ignored international agreements and tortured McCain “in an attempt to obtain military information and false confessions for propaganda purposes.”

McCain, now the Republican Party’s likely presidential nominee, was taken prisoner in October 1967 after he was shot down while on a mission over Hanoi. He wasn’t freed until March 1973, after the United States signed peace agreements with the North Vietnamese. His captors tortured him and held him in solitary confinement. Still, he declined an offer of early release until those who had been at the prison longer than him were let go.

That decision earned McCain a Navy Commendation Medal. Although McCain was “crippled from serious and ill-treated injuries,” he steadfastly refused offers of freedom from those holding him prisoner. “His selfless action served as an example to others and his forthright refusal, by giving emphasis to the insidious nature of such releases, may have prevented a possibly chaotic deterioration in prisoner discipline,” the citation says.

McCain attended the U.S. Naval Academy from 1954 to 1958, and was commissioned as an ensign in June of that year. He retired in April 1981 with the rank of captain. In that time he received 17 awards and decorations. Besides the Silver Star Medal, McCain also received the Legion of Merit with a combat “V” and one gold star, a Distinguished Flying Cross and a Bronze Art Medal with a combat “V” and two gold stars.

Several citations mention his achievements either as a prisoner or as a lieutenant commander flying bombing runs off the deck of the USS Oriskany. Some are signed by then-Secretary of the Navy John Warner, who would become a colleague of McCain’s in the Senate.

The citations refer to his “accurate ordnance delivery” and his “aggressive and skillful airmanship.” He earned his Bronze Star the day before he was shot down, for participating in a mission over an airfield in Phuc Yen, 11 miles north of Hanoi.

The citation for his Distinguished Flying Cross sums up McCain’s misfortune the following day:

“Although his aircraft was severely damaged, he continued his bomb delivery pass and released his bombs on the target. When the aircraft would not recover from the dive, Commander McCain was forced to eject over the target.”

Years later, as his Navy career approached its end, McCain received the Legion of Merit Medal. By then, his missions were in the halls of Congress as a liaison to the Senate from the Navy’s Office of Legislative Affairs.

He was praised for providing Navy leaders “with sage advice and sound judgment for enacting critical legislation during a period of severe fiscal constraint.”

The following year, he ran for Congress from Arizona, and won.

http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/05/07/mccains-navy-records-detail-commendations/

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: McCain’s Navy Records Detail Commendations
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 09:25:52 AM »
He was ranked 894 out of 899 grads in his class at the Naval Academy.

Kinda on the low end...

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 09:48:45 AM »

Kinda on the low end...
Yeah but you know what they call the guy that graduated at the bottom of his class in medical school

Getting to Know John McCain
By Karl Rove
The Wall Street Journal

It came to me while I was having dinner with Doris Day. No, not that Doris Day. The Doris Day who is married to Col. Bud Day, Congressional Medal of Honor recipient, fighter pilot, Vietnam POW and roommate of John McCain at the Hanoi Hilton.

As we ate near the Days' home in Florida recently, I heard things about Sen. McCain that were deeply moving and politically troubling. Moving because they told me things about him the American people need to know. And troubling because it is clear that Mr. McCain is one of the most private individuals to run for president in history.

When it comes to choosing a president, the American people want to know more about a candidate than policy positions. They want to know about character, the values ingrained in his heart. For Mr. McCain, that means they will want to know more about him personally than he has been willing to reveal.

Mr. Day relayed to me one of the stories Americans should hear. It involves what happened to him after escaping from a North Vietnamese prison during the war. When he was recaptured, a Vietnamese captor broke his arm and said, "I told you I would make you a cripple."

The break was designed to shatter Mr. Day's will. He had survived in prison on the hope that one day he would return to the United States and be able to fly again. To kill that hope, the Vietnamese left part of a bone sticking out of his arm, and put him in a misshapen cast. This was done so that the arm would heal at "a goofy angle," as Mr. Day explained. Had it done so, he never would have flown again.

But it didn't heal that way because of John McCain. Risking severe punishment, Messrs. McCain and Day collected pieces of bamboo in the prison courtyard to use as a splint.

Mr. McCain put Mr. Day on the floor of their cell and, using his foot, jerked the broken bone into place. Then, using strips from the bandage on his own wounded leg and the bamboo, he put Mr. Day's splint in place.

Former POW Earnest Brace describes conversations with John McCain through the walls of a Hanoi prison.

Years later, Air Force surgeons examined Mr. Day and complimented the treatment he'd gotten from his captors. Mr. Day corrected them. It was Dr. McCain who deserved the credit. Mr. Day went on to fly again.

Another story I heard over dinner with the Days involved Mr. McCain serving as one of the three chaplains for his fellow prisoners. At one point, after being shuttled among different prisons, Mr. Day had found himself as the most senior officer at the Hanoi Hilton. So he tapped Mr. McCain to help administer religious services to the other prisoners.

Today, Mr. Day, a very active 83, still vividly recalls Mr. McCain's sermons. "He remembered the Episcopal liturgy," Mr. Day says, "and sounded like a bona fide preacher." One of Mr. McCain's first sermons took as its text Luke 20:25 and Matthew 22:21, "render unto Caesar what is Caesar's and unto God what is God's." Mr. McCain said he and his fellow prisoners shouldn't ask God to free them, but to help them become the best people they could be while serving as POWs. It was Caesar who put them in prison and Caesar who would get them out. Their task was to act with honor.

Another McCain story, somewhat better known, is about the Vietnamese practice of torturing him by tying his head between his ankles with his arms behind him, and then leaving him for hours. The torture so badly busted up his shoulders that to this day Mr. McCain can't raise his arms over his head.

One night, a Vietnamese guard loosened his bonds, returning at the end of his watch to tighten them again so no one would notice. Shortly after, on Christmas Day, the same guard stood beside Mr. McCain in the prison yard and drew a cross in the sand before erasing it. Mr. McCain later said that when he returned to Vietnam for the first time after the war, the only person he really wanted to meet was that guard.

Mr. Day recalls with pride Mr. McCain stubbornly refusing to accept special treatment or curry favor to be released early, even when gravely ill. Mr. McCain knew the Vietnamese wanted the propaganda victory of the son and grandson of Navy admirals accepting special treatment. "He wasn't corruptible then," Mr. Day says, "and he's not corruptible today."

The stories told to me by the Days involve more than wartime valor.

For example, in 1991 Cindy McCain was visiting Mother Teresa's orphanage in Bangladesh when a dying infant was thrust into her hands. The orphanage could not provide the medical care needed to save her life, so Mrs. McCain brought the child home to America with her. She was met at the airport by her husband, who asked what all this was about.

Mrs. McCain replied that the child desperately needed surgery and years of rehabilitation. "I hope she can stay with us," she told her husband. Mr. McCain agreed. Today that child is their teenage daughter Bridget.

I was aware of this story. What I did not know, and what I learned from Doris, is that there was a second infant Mrs. McCain brought back. She ended up being adopted by a young McCain aide and his wife.

"We were called at midnight by Cindy," Wes Gullett remembers, and "five days later we met our new daughter Nicki at the L.A. airport wearing the only clothing Cindy could find on the trip back, a 7-Up T-shirt she bought in the Bangkok airport." Today, Nicki is a high school sophomore. Mr. Gullett told me, "I never saw a hospital bill" for her care.

A few, but not many, of the stories told to me by the Days have been written about, such as in Robert Timberg's 1996 book "A Nightingale's Song." But Mr. McCain rarely refers to them on the campaign trail. There is something admirable in his reticence, but he needs to overcome it.

Private people like Mr. McCain are rare in politics for a reason. Candidates who are uncomfortable sharing their interior lives limit their appeal. But if Mr. McCain is to win the election this fall, he has to open up.

Americans need to know about his vision for the nation's future, especially his policy positions and domestic reforms. They also need to learn about the moments in his life that shaped him. Mr. McCain cannot make this a biography-only campaign – but he can't afford to make it a biography-free campaign either. Unless he opens up more, many voters will never know the experiences of his life that show his character, integrity and essential decency.

These qualities mattered in America's first president and will matter as Americans decide on their 44th president.

Mr. Rove is the former senior adviser and deputy chief of staff to President George W. Bush.
R

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 10:05:02 AM »

Kinda on the low end...
We should all post where we finished in our high school and college graduations...my money says we wouldn't be hearing this argument as much. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 10:09:57 AM »
We should all post where we finished in our high school and college graduations...my money says we wouldn't be hearing this argument as much. 

I had a 3.8 in HS and I was magna cum laude with a masters degree in college.

This is completely irrelvant though.  I'm not trying to be president.

A person who is trying to be president is going on a job intereview in front of 310 million Americans.  His academic credentials ARE relevant.  if he has a Harvard HD (like Obama has) we'd be hearing about how smart he was.  He flaunts his war records - would he be flaunting them if he had gone AWOL?  No.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008, 10:16:30 AM »
War record..I have a war record. This guy is a fucking hero. He spent 5 years with a bunch of people who beat the dogshit out of him. Does that make him a good President..no.... but he has my respect. Obama knew commies as well..except he hung out and admired them...who will be a better president.
L

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2008, 10:34:59 AM »
I had a 3.8 in HS and I was magna cum laude with a masters degree in college.

This is completely irrelvant though.  I'm not trying to be president.

A person who is trying to be president is going on a job intereview in front of 310 million Americans.  His academic credentials ARE relevant.  if he has a Harvard HD (like Obama has) we'd be hearing about how smart he was.  He flaunts his war records - would he be flaunting them if he had gone AWOL?  No.

So, the higher the GPA, the more credibility you have as a politician?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2008, 10:36:36 AM »

Kinda on the low end...

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2008, 10:37:15 AM »
Yeah but you know what they call the guy that graduated at the bottom of his class in medical school

I know the answer to that one.   :)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2008, 10:39:15 AM »

That or people will just lie about it.   :)

His class rank is about the dumbest argument in opposition to McCain I've heard this election season. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2008, 10:41:23 AM »
So, the higher the GPA, the more credibility you have as a politician?

No.  But your GPA is part of your collective lifetime resume you're selling to voters.

Tell me this:
Would you elect Mccain if he had dropped out in the 6th grade?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2008, 10:42:48 AM »
His class rank is about the dumbest argument in opposition to McCain I've heard this election season. 

If mccain had been the #1 ranked student in the naval academy.... we would be hearing about it in commercials ;)

He's applying for a job, and all his skill, work experience, and education are relevant.

I GUARANTEE you'd prefer - all things equal - a VP candidate with a degree in economics, as opposed to a 6th grade dropout, no? ;)

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2008, 10:55:47 AM »
What about these veterans that question McCain's service and sanity?

"John McCain seriously violated the Military Code of Conduct by trading "military information" and making numerous public statements that appeared favorable to the communist war effort in exchange for "special treatment.""
http://www.usvetdsp.com/mcianhro.htm

I am speaking of course of Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.). None of the Senators on the Select Committee have been as vicious in their attacks on POW/MIA family members and activists than the man behind the mask of war hero, former POW, and patriotic United States Senator . . .

Not even Sen. John Kerry (D-Mass.), who went into his job as chairman of the Select Committee with a predisposition that no one was left alive in Southeast Asia, that it was therefore "time to put the war behind us" and normalize relations with Hanoi, has shown such a bias against those who have fought and kept alive the POW/MIA cause.

Not even Sen. Kerry, with his own record as an anti-war protester during the early 1970s after serving in Vietnam--has turned a totally deaf ear to the numerous individuals and groups who are, correctly or not, convinced that Americans were and are alive in captivity in Southeast Asia.

What, therefore, motivates a John McCain to attack as a pit bull everyone and anyone who has the opinion that men are still alive in the very same captivity that he himself once experienced? Mr. McCain disguises his attacks on the POW/MIA by claiming he is on the committee to ask "the tough questions" to grill and berate in order to get to the truth. What motivates the man, who at the same time has shown a sensitive, almost patronizing approach to U.S. government officials who have lied to the committee? . . .

http://www.usvetdsp.com/manchuan.htm

Is it sour grapes or swiftboating or the truth?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2008, 10:58:02 AM »
What about these veterans that question McCain's service and sanity?

"John McCain seriously violated the Military Code of Conduct by trading "military information" and making numerous public statements that appeared favorable to the communist war effort in exchange for "special treatment.""
http://www.usvetdsp.com/mcianhro.htm

I am speaking of course of Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.). None of the Senators on the Select Committee have been as vicious in their attacks on POW/MIA family members and activists than the man behind the mask of war hero, former POW, and patriotic United States Senator . . .

Not even Sen. John Kerry (D-Mass.), who went into his job as chairman of the Select Committee with a predisposition that no one was left alive in Southeast Asia, that it was therefore "time to put the war behind us" and normalize relations with Hanoi, has shown such a bias against those who have fought and kept alive the POW/MIA cause.

Not even Sen. Kerry, with his own record as an anti-war protester during the early 1970s after serving in Vietnam--has turned a totally deaf ear to the numerous individuals and groups who are, correctly or not, convinced that Americans were and are alive in captivity in Southeast Asia.

What, therefore, motivates a John McCain to attack as a pit bull everyone and anyone who has the opinion that men are still alive in the very same captivity that he himself once experienced? Mr. McCain disguises his attacks on the POW/MIA by claiming he is on the committee to ask "the tough questions" to grill and berate in order to get to the truth. What motivates the man, who at the same time has shown a sensitive, almost patronizing approach to U.S. government officials who have lied to the committee? . . .

http://www.usvetdsp.com/manchuan.htm

Is it sour grapes or swiftboating or the truth?

"Propaganda is a type of message aimed at influencing the opinions or behavior of people. Often, instead of impartially providing information, propaganda can be deliberately misleading, or using logical fallacies, which, while sometimes convincing, are not necessarily valid. ..."
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propaganda

calmus

• Getbig IV
  • Time is luck.
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2008, 11:08:05 AM »

Hahaha, incredible. Incompetence personified gets a medal for some highly dubious shit and now he's a war hero. WTF kind of hero anyway? It's not like he was an ace or something. 

calmus

• Getbig IV
  • Time is luck.
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2008, 11:09:41 AM »

Look up Robert E. Lee you dumbasses.  That's what a good soldier looks like. Not this weak-ass bullshit.

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2008, 11:14:03 AM »
"Propaganda is a type of message aimed at influencing the opinions or behavior of people. Often, instead of impartially providing information, propaganda can be deliberately misleading, or using logical fallacies, which, while sometimes convincing, are not necessarily valid. ..."
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propaganda
I would tend to agree with you.

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2008, 11:15:21 AM »
That is a military hero folks and someone that deserves your respect because of what he went through for this country during his 5 yrs as a POW.  5 f-cking yrs of torture...you can't even imagine what that would be like.
We can debate on how or if this applies to his presidency run but to deny him respect as a physically and mentally tortured veteran who has sacrificed much for his country is ludicrous.

calmus

• Getbig IV
  • Time is luck.
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2008, 11:16:06 AM »
 ::)

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2008, 11:49:18 AM »
Calmus, as our previous disagreements on this topic....I'd like to see you survive 5 yrs as a POW with permanent and significant disabilities and physical disfigurement.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2008, 12:43:34 PM »
While I wholeheartedly aprove and congradulate Shoot for taking the moral highground as far as Calmus goes..I'd like to comment. Calmus has continued to bash the US military and its soldiers since he joined the board. Douchebag wouldn't have made it through his plebe year at the Academy let alone 5 years in the Hilton. He like many of his worthless lib friends would have shit their pants and run home to mommy.
L

calmus

• Getbig IV
  • Time is luck.
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2008, 01:40:04 PM »
 ::)

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2008, 08:01:33 PM »
Calmus, as our previous disagreements on this topic....I'd like to see you survive 5 yrs as a POW with permanent and significant disabilities and physical disfigurement.

McCain spent 5 years as a POW in a war of arrogance.

Not like he fought for a GREAT cause.

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2008, 08:57:23 PM »

No it goes: You know what they call a doctor that graduated at the bottom of his class?

A Doctor.

calmus

• Getbig IV
  • Time is luck.
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2008, 10:08:47 PM »
McCain spent 5 years as a POW in a war of arrogance.

Not like he fought for a GREAT cause.

Don't waste your time. There's a faction here who like being led around by the nose.