Author Topic: Bloat - Potassium deficiency?  (Read 1639 times)

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
Bloat - Potassium deficiency?
« on: May 08, 2008, 11:23:36 AM »
The cause or causes of bloat has been an ongoing debated topic.  From diet, to feeding bowl height, to genetics, to exercise, to you name it.   

This author brings up the possibility of a potassium deficiency as being a cause, and shows why the authors think that. 

Now while raw fed dogs have and do bloat, it is more common in kibble fed dogs. Is  that because raw feeders usually don't feed grains which some believe (me being one of them) contributes to digestive problems and bloat, or because their is a deficiency in the diet, has not been proven.

Again, this is not a conclusive or proven theory, but it does give something to think about IMO. (I don't agree with the 'diets' at the end  :P)    I do think there are some flaws in the reasoning, and some information seems to be not validated, so take it for another theory that is as of yet not proven.  Hell maybe I shouldn't even post it based on that, but people can think for themselves!

http://www.weimaraner-scotland.com/GenInt/Bloat.htm

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
Re: Bloat - Potassium deficiency?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 03:52:34 PM »
Flower, its interesting, but its not completely accurate.  The "wild or semiwild dogs do not suffer from bloat" isn't entirely true.  I personally have disgnosed a GDV (gastric dilitation with volvulus) in a wolf hybrid (supposedly 75% wolf) which was euthanized.  I'm also aware of at least one anecdotal report in a grey wolf from the wolf sanctuary in St. Louis and an anecdotal report in a Maned Wolf.   All of these animals were, to the best of my knowledge, fed whole food diets although the grey wolfs diet did contain commercial mazuri wild canid chow during certian times of the year.   

I also have a bit of a hard time with the "low potassium causes intestinal dysfunction" becuase low potassium is generally associated with muscle weakness, cardiac arrthymias, and collapse first, then other effects.  I'd expect to see to see a gait abnormality before there'd be abnormal intestinal motility becuase of the differences in smooth vs skeletal muscle. 

I also had to smile at the cauliflower, barley, and rolled oats.  Man, I bet you the dog fart smell would be nearly deadly in a house with dogs fed that.  ;D  ;)

Anyway, its an interesting thought. 

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 04:24:37 PM »
I saw some things that didn't add up, but with all the bloat hypotheses out there, what's another one!   ;D

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 10:35:23 PM »
I saw some things that didn't add up, but with all the bloat hypotheses out there, what's another one!   ;D

Sure.