Author Topic: The reason Bodybuilding will never be in the Olympics...  (Read 5310 times)

Meltdown

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
Re: The reason Bodybuilding will never be in the Olympics...
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2008, 06:45:45 PM »
Chick take that story to Joe W as he has always dreamt of BB in the Olympics after all that's why they the IFBB have their Drug Rule.REMEMBER.

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
  • sometimes you get the elevator, somtimes the shaft
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2008, 06:46:16 PM »
That is the main reason, but definitely not the ONLY.

No...that's it.

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2008, 06:48:48 PM »
Chick take that story to Joe W as he has always dreamt of BB in the Olympics after all that's why they the IFBB have their Drug Rule.REMEMBER.

Ben and Jow did al they could to make BB an Olympic sport, the rules were made to mirroe those of the Olympics to make it more attractive to the IOC...and the end of the day...it came down to the very reasons I outlined.

This in no way takes away from the monumantal effort put forth by Ben, for many many years...

JohnnyVegas

« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2008, 06:52:29 PM »
Olympics = A cultural diverse appeal

Pro Bodybuilding = A homo diverse appeal

Bottom line, Pro Bodybuilding will remain in the cultural-sewer where it belongs. 

No body in their right mind could ever take this drug-fuelled-passtime Sean Rey seriously.

Fixed.

Meltdown

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2008, 06:53:59 PM »
Chick
The Pros
Getbig V

sometimes you get the elevator, somtimes the shaft

« Reply #27 on: Today at 06:48:48 PM » Quote  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote from: Meltdown on Today at 06:45:45 PM

Ben and Jow did al they could to make BB an Olympic sport, the rules were made to mirroe those of the Olympics to make it more attractive to the IOC...and the end of the day...it came down to the very reasons I outlined.

Well that was a waste of years.They should have just asked Hank Wood.

kh300

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2008, 07:54:14 PM »
2004 Athens Olympics Baseball results

Gold - Cuba
Silver - Australia
Bronze - Japan

2006 World Baseball Classic

1. Japan
2. Cuba
3. Korea

college players are the only ones on team USA. the world baseball classic was before spring training. nobody played, nor were the ones there even in shape to play. while cuba was nearing the end of their season.

their are almost no good baseball players outside of the US, because if they were, this is were they would be.

gordiano

• Getbig V
  • TEAM "CUTE PENIS", TEAM TRIFLIN' RONNIE COLEMAN
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2008, 08:06:16 PM »
Most athletes in the Olympics are probably using anyway. They just don't get caught. Maybe I'm being cynical though  ???

Bingo.

The Olympics features some of the BIGGEST drug abusers.....it's just about passing the test.....
HAHA, RON.....

TheTerrifyer

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2008, 08:21:54 PM »
Drug free sports are boring.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2008, 08:23:56 PM »
Drug free sports are boring.
There is no such thing as a drug free sport.

TheTerrifyer

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2008, 08:24:58 PM »
Good thing, too. If officials start enforcing drug rules in every sport, people might figure out that all records since the 1960s have been set thanks to chemical enhancement.

There is no such thing as a drug free sport.

Proper Status

• Getbig II
« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2008, 08:40:38 PM »
i dont see why people care so much who takes drugs in sports...honestly is it affecting their way of life???...clearly its jealousy in their behalf  ::)

Meltdown

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2008, 08:50:34 PM »
I feel the same way about Drink Driving and Bashing people why have so many Rules about Drugs or anything for that matter. ::)

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2008, 09:59:13 PM »
Not many sports are in the Olympics...

In fact, baseball and softball were both voted out of the Olympics, so they will be there for 2008 Beiging, but not for 2012 London.

The sport before that which was elminated out of the Olympics in 1930 was Polo.

There actually 28 sports with over 300 events.  And the obvious reason why BB is not in the Olympics is because BB is drug (steroid) driven.  Without the steroids BB is REALLY just a body contest (like a beauty paegent).  With the drugs size and definition are pronounced.  No other sport or activity relies on the use of steroids as much as BB. 

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2008, 04:42:54 AM »

This in no way takes away from the monumantal effort put forth by Ben, for many many years...

This subject has been beaten to death...

There is one reason, and one reason only that BB never made it into the Olympics:

There is no athletic move to be judged as a completed movement. There is no set criteria, and no required elements.

End of story.

Funny you guys should mention this. You may remember that it was about 10 years ago, that Ben Weider actually got Olympic recognition for bodybuilding. I remember seeing it on the cover of MuscleMag International (I think Frank Sepe was on that one, in a B&W shot).

The way it was supposed to work (I think) is that, first, bodybuilding gets Olympic recognition. Then a panel votes to see if it'll hold a bodybuilding event as a demonstration game. Then they vote a second time. If the IOC gave it the thumbs-up, bodybuilding becomes an Olympic sport.

From what I remember, Ben Weider was a good friend of the IOC president at that time. When that guy retired, his replacement gave bodybuilding the axe, citing the whole steroid thing as rationale (I guess he forgot about the '92 controversy with those Chinese lady swimmers).

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2008, 10:06:11 AM »
There actually 28 sports with over 300 events.  And the obvious reason why BB is not in the Olympics is because BB is drug (steroid) driven.  Without the steroids BB is REALLY just a body contest (like a beauty paegent).  With the drugs size and definition are pronounced.  No other sport or activity relies on the use of steroids as much as BB. 

Nothing to do with it, Keith...so is Olympic lifting. But with OL, either the guy lifts the weight, or he doesn't...there is little chance for opinion to enter the equasion...

And...if BB were in the OLympics...they would be subjected to the same drug tests and IOC procedures as any other sport. The fact they would be natural, most likely less freaky and smaller...is completely irrelevant.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2008, 11:19:08 AM »
Actually, when bodybuilding first began, it was an athletic event in conjunction with displaying muscles.  Guys were acrobatic & performed feats of strength like over head presses or hand stands.

I remember a few years back it was discussed as maybe this should be brought back as part of the norm.  Well, it didn't happen as could you imagine Ronnie doing a handstand....or even wanting to see that?

bigbalddaddy

• Getbig IV
« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2008, 01:42:18 PM »
Chick,

Come on man...you honestly don't feel that money has nothing to do with it? 

I think it has everything to do with money and the fact that how much is made in the BB industry by having freaks.  I mean, just look at who buys magazines, buys every supplement there is (like the world is ending tomorrow) and goes to every show he can afford.  Look...you'll find so many small guys buying every magazine on the rack (MONEY).  You'll see countless pencil necks in supplement stores as a bi-product of the magazine they bought thinking that if they buy NoExplode they really can look like Ronnie but they fail to believe drugs are a huge % of his gains (again, more MONEY in the industry).  And lastly go to to the "O" freak show and look around...unless you are blind you'll see that the expo is filled with dreamers trying to be a Chick, or a Ronnie or a Ruhl...Again, MONEY in the show. Plus sales down the line via expo marketing...ALL MONEY!  Nothing to do with anything else!  Take the drugs out and test guys, nobody will want to look like Levrone looks right now, nobody will want to look like TP, nobody will want to look at skinny natural guys...And guess what?  You got it!  NO MONEY!!!  So tell me how that has nothing to do with it please...Ben and Joe could give a rats ass about the Olympics and BB.  Quite frankly I couldn't either...I was just trying to make a point that its all about MONEY...No drugs, no freaks, no dreamers, no jobs, no money...no Olympics... ;)

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2008, 01:52:29 PM »
No way will anyone in thier right mind who makes money on bodybuilding will ever try to make it an olympic sport.  Just look at the USADA list of how many people were tested.  It's easy to tell their interests...If BB goes to the Olympics guess what?  Testing...and ummm...I can't imagine how that would turn out!!! ::)

http://www.usantidoping.org/files/active/resources/press_releases/Final%202007%20Testing%20Numbers.pdf

its also subjectibve. 5 diff guys might pick 5 diff winners. whereas in 100m etc which is performance based whoever crosses the line first of throws furthest etc will win.

Captain Equipoise

• Getbig V
  • back from the dead...
« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2008, 03:06:02 PM »
You wouldn't understand until you actually pick up a weight.

Picked up a weight ??! lol.. my pics have been up here before, I bet I smoke your '140lb.' swimmers physique all day long.

New Hank Wood

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #44 on: May 09, 2008, 09:51:56 PM »
it will be one day.

ANAL DISCHARGE

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2008, 03:41:48 AM »
The efforts made by Ben Weider to gain Olympic recognition during the 80s actually became quite pathetic and embarrassing.  Bribes to Samaranch and the like.  Weider was seriously deluded if he ever thought bodybuilding would be accepted. 

rccs

• Getbig IV
  • Alma Matter!
« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2008, 04:04:38 AM »
Why isn't powerlifting an olympic sport? Far more interesting tha olympic lifting...
S

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2008, 06:05:22 AM »
There is one reason, and one reason only that BB never made it into the Olympics:

There is no athletic move to be judged as a completed movement. There is no set criteria, and no required elements.

End of story.

Why can't you guys understand that simple reality? 

What Chick is trying to tell you is that there's no base element from which to even begin a conversation, so all the other stuff you're talking about is extraneous fluff. 

Hope this helps.

New Hank Wood

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #48 on: May 10, 2008, 06:08:47 AM »
Jesus Christ, who cares about bodybuilding and the olympics.

Bodybuilding has and will remain a homo erotic event...period.

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #49 on: May 10, 2008, 06:47:29 AM »
2004 Athens Olympics Baseball results

Gold - Cuba
Silver - Australia
Bronze - Japan

2006 World Baseball Classic

1. Japan
2. Cuba
3. Korea

Wow. I never expected that. Genuine eye-opener for me