Author Topic: The biggest and Strongest man EVER lived, weight 425 pounds and low body fat.  (Read 51440 times)

robocop

• Getbig III
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angus_MacAskill

Angus Mňr MacAskill, frequently referred to as Giant MacAskill (1825-August 8, 1863), was known as the world's largest "true" giant (normal proportions, no growth abnormalities). The 1981 Guinness Book of World Records lists Angus as the tallest natural giant who ever lived, the strongest man who ever lived, and the man having the largest chest measurements of any non-obese man (80inches).

Giant MacAskill with General Tom Thumb in mid 1800s.MacAskill was born on the Isle of Berneray in the Sound of Harris, Scotland, and emigrated to Nova Scotia at a young age. After several years in Stornoway, Outer Hebrides with his family, they finally settled in the fishing community of Englishtown, Cape Breton Island somewhere between 1830 and 1835. As a child he was said to be of "normal" stature, but in entering his adolescence he began to grow rapidly and by his 20th year had attained 7 ft 4 in (223 cm), eventually reaching 7 ft 9 in (236 cm) within another year or two. His weight was 425 pounds, his shoulders 44 in. wide, and the palm of his hand 8 in. wide and 12 in. long. In 1863 he was wearing boots 17 1/2 in. long. He had deep-set blue eyes and a musical, if somewhat hollow voice. Despite his huge size he was perfectly proportioned. He was known in his home town as St. Ann's "Gille Mňr" or Big Boy. He was also known to many as The Cape Breton Giant or Giant MacAskill.

MacAskill was well known for incredible feats of strength such as lifting a ship's anchor weighing 2800 lb. to chest height, and an ability to carry barrels weighing over 300 lb. apiece under each arm or reputedly able to lift a hundredweight (50kg) with two fingers and hold it at arms length for ten minutes. People also claimed to see Angus lift a full-grown horse over a four-foot fence, without breaking a sweat.

In 1849 he entered show business and went to work for P.T. Barnum's circus, appearing next to General Tom Thumb. Queen Victoria heard stories about MacAskill's great strength and invited him to appear before her to give a demonstration at Windsor Castle, after which she proclaimed him to be "the tallest, stoutest and strongest man to ever enter the palace", and presented him with two gold rings in appreciation.[1]

He would sometimes jog down the street with a 300-pound barrel of pork under each arm to the admiring whistles of bystanders.[2] To win a bet with some French sailors he lifted an anchor weighing 2700 pounds to his shoulder and walked down the wharf with it. [3] Another time when Big Angus was about fourteen he went on a fishing boat to North Sydney (a small village in Cape Breton Island), and the crew took him along to a dance. The Big Boy had gone ashore without shoes and in old clothes and was sitting near the door watching because dancing was frowned upon by the strict Presbyterian elders of St. Ann's. One of the dancers was a young man from town who danced over with his pretty lassie and stepped on Angus' bare toe. The big, red-faced boy quickly pulled his feet out of the way but bystanders laughed. Angus became absorbed in the dancing and unconsciously put his feet out again. The dandy stepped on the boy's toe again. For a moment it looked as if there would be a fight for the fishermen who had brought Angus along would have joined in. Angus turned red and clenched his fists but remained seated while the bully laughed. The third time his heel came down, the Big Boy jumped up and his fist swept up to his tormentor's jaw. That gentleman landed in the middle of the floor- and was unconscious for so long they thought he was dead. [4]When the captain returned to his schooner he found Angus on his knees praying that he had not killed the man.

The fishermen of St. Ann's envied Big Angus' strength. While they laboriously bailed their boats, Gille Mňr set his weight under his half ton boat, tipped it on its beam ends and out spilled the bilge water! Singlehanded, he set a forty-foot mast into a schooner as easily as a farmer set a fence post in a hole.

John A. Morrison of South Gut of St. Ann's, told James Gillis that one evening at twilight when he was returning from his nets Angus called to the fishermen on the shore to help him pull his heavy boat up the steep slipway. The men thought they would play a trick on the Giant and carry it right up over the hill into a pool. At high water mark Angus said: " That will do, thank you, " but the crowd pretended not to hear and kept on. Big Angus grabbed the boat - which was pulled to pieces.

A visitor to the neighbourhood, a captain who had come on one of the American fishing vessels which came to St. Ann's to buy bait, challenged Angus to a wrestling match. St. Ann's Big Boy refused. When the three hundred pound visitor taunted him, the Cape Bretoner lost his temper and grabbed the American and threw him over a woodpile ten feet high and twelve feet wide. Another time he shook hands with a tormentor until the man's fingers started to bleed.

There are contradictory accounts of the anchor incident which may have taken place in New York or New Orleans, which is natural as many anecdotes about McAskill were collected by James Gillis more than forty years after the Giant's death. French sailors taunted the Giant to lift an anchor lying on the wharf {the weight of which was estimated at 2200 to 2700 pounds). He did so and walked down the wharf with it, but one of the flukes caught in his shoulder, crippling him. Almon, who talked with the Giant's younger brother John, said that Angus admitted lifting "That Anchor" but would not talk about it and that when Angus came home he was "as straight as an arrow". Mr. Almon believed that the Giant must have lifted "That Anchor" in a "Press Lift" being braced between a solid and a moveable object-but wonders how the fluke caught in his shoulder. However this did not kill him nor was it the cause of his death he died years later.

After a career demonstrating his size and strength in Europe and North America, he returned to Englishtown and purchased a grist-mill and several other real estate holdings as well as a general store. One story is that a customer wanting to buy tea would be asked by the giant, "will you take a pound or a fistful?". Since tea was expensive in those times, most would ask for a fistful, not realizing that MacAskill's fist would easily hold more than a single pound of tea. It was on a trip to the colonial capital at Halifax to buy stock for his store that he fell ill and died August 8, 1863. He is buried alongside his parents, who were of normal proportions, in the Englishtown Cemetery; the size of MacAskill's burial mound dwarfs those of his mother and father.[5]

Big Angus McAskill was planning to go to Halifax to sell the produce he had collected and to buy the stock he needed for the winter season from the wholesalers in the capital city. Suddenly he became seriously ill, and his family moved him back to his parents' home, where his old bed was hastily lengthened and put up in the living room. The doctor's diagnosis was brain fever. After a week's illness, the Cape Breton Giant died peacefully in his sleep on August 8, 1863, the Rev. Abraham McIntosh, the Presbyterian minister, being in attendance and many neighbours in the house. The Halifax Acadian Recorder of August 15, 1863 reported that "the well-known giant ... was by far the tallest man in Nova Scotia, perhaps in British America" and that "his mild and gentle manner endeared him to all who had the pleasure of his acquaintance". The whole county mourned. MacAskill's presence lived on in Englishtown where his timber-frame house sat on the edge of Kelly's Mountain, overlooking St. Ann's Harbour. The structure, with its massive door frames still stood, albeit in ruins, as late as the 1950s and the foundation was visible into the 1980s.

The province of Nova Scotia replaced the family's grave marker with a new one after the original had fallen into disrepair around 1900. Some of MacAskill's original personal effects from his house, including a bed frame, clothes and chair were removed for preservation and displayed for many years at the nearby Gaelic College of Celtic Arts and Crafts. These artifacts were moved back to Englishtown after the "Giant MacAskill Museum" was established in the late 1980s on a road-front portion of MacAskill's former property by the "Giant MacAskill Heirs Association". In addition to the collection from the Gaelic College, the Englishtown museum also houses a more expanded collection of artifacts that had been previously maintained by family members.

The "Giant Angus MacAskill Museum" was also established in 1989 at Dunvegan on the Isle of Skye and is operated by a community group; this museum having several replicated artifacts from the Englishtown museum.

In 1977, the provincial government's new cable ferry running across the 700 foot wide entrance to St. Ann's Harbour between Englishtown and Jersey Cove was christened as the Angus MacAskill. Despite the relatively short crossing, it is the busiest ferry service in Nova Scotia, carrying hundreds of thousands of vacationers and residents every year. There are many other very interesting stories about Angus MacAskill and his stories of amazing strength and size at External Links.

technokc

• Getbig IV
  • Official member Getbig 300!!
this thread is useless without pics.

JasonH

• Getbig V
this thread is useless without pics.

It's even more useless without a Youtube video - did they have those in 1849?

No?

How convenient.  ::)

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
Squadfather: "bullshit until I see a video"

fathead

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
and he had a cawk the size of a bazooka

technokc

• Getbig IV
  • Official member Getbig 300!!
Note even a century ago the utilized the standard thumbs up pose! :D

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
All giant  ;D

Army of One

• Getbig V
"To win a bet with some French sailors he lifted an anchor weighing 2700 pounds to his shoulder and walked down the wharf with it."

What an absolute pile of bullshit, why do people believe this crap.

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
"To win a bet with some French sailors he lifted an anchor weighing 2700 pounds to his shoulder and walked down the wharf with it."

All true - hater  >:(

polychronopolous

• Getbig V

The greatest GIANT ever.

whateva

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
No true,
 I have a Samoan friend ,He is 6' 2", 430 lbs  around 8% bf .

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!

im guessing like a yoke walk rather than cleaning 2700.

yes he is enormous. legit too

oldman

• Getbig III
No, its true.  He actually moved to the United States, he did not pass away.  He was able to swim to Florida.  Shortly after arriving, bigfoot sightings started!  If you go to the Everglades and leave a bowl of porridge at the glades in the evening, stand back!!!

bebop396

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Imagine Angus on steroids.

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
imagine if he competed in getbig III , 240 would have him as the same height in pictures as all the other competitors showing how pathetic this giant is  ;D
A

Epic_Monster

• Getbig V
  • "Let me pose on this one" - REV. X
All the way big dude! :D
Spirit of Truth

Sarcastic Deity

• Getbig III
lol...as a child, i remember reading about him in guiness

there was another guy in this vein...name was darden or something similar...a tremendously strong "giant" whose voice could be heard for six miles (a record, naturally), and he went on to marry one of the tiniest women alive at that time, creating yet another record for "biggest mis-proportion in a marriage" or something

great stuff...lol

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
I have a stupidly deep voice.

I love it

spinnis

I just did 100rep dumbell shrugs, Saw some veins in my traps.

Sarcastic Deity

• Getbig III
excerpt fom "The Human Marvels":

Lastly, another giant of impressive strength and size is one Mills Darden. Not only was Darden a giant, he also holds the distinction of being the largest documented human being to walk the earth. Standing at seven and six inches tall, Darden also weighed over 1000 pounds – between 1020 to 1080 during his lifetime. He was born on October 7, 1799, near Rich Square, North Carolina and was farmer and saloon owner. Mills Darden died on January 23, 1857 taking with him the reputation of being an incredibly powerful, though sensitive man. He refused newspaper interviews or to be photographed and as a result, no photograph exists of Mr. Darden.

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
No, its true.  He actually moved to the United States, he did not pass away.  He was able to swim to Florida.  Shortly after arriving, bigfoot sightings started!  If you go to the Everglades and leave a bowl of porridge at the glades in the evening, stand back!!!

;D ;D ;D

Further facts about Big Angus....

- in 1852 he suffered from diarrhea... it was raining shit all over europe
- while visiting Australia he cut his toenails and invented the boomerang
- Angus killed one of his girlfriends while cuddling
- a livesized fartbubble of him could suffocate Ireland - watch out Stark!
- for breakfast he used to have an egg-omelette the size of 3 football-fields
- in 1854 he stumbled over his own feet while dancing... it took his gargantuan frame six months to hit the ground
- two of his mansized turds were put in a Museum and later branded as the BarbarianBrothers
- in 1860 he traveled into the future, went on 16grams of Test a day and deadlifted EdCoan + bar - RAW  :o
- in the late 70ies he went on Milos snakeoil-routine, lost some size and started as a guitarist for AC/DC

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
excerpt fom "The Human Marvels":

Lastly, another giant of impressive strength and size is one Mills Darden. Not only was Darden a giant, he also holds the distinction of being the largest documented human being to walk the earth. Standing at seven and six inches tall, Darden also weighed over 1000 pounds – between 1020 to 1080 during his lifetime. He was born on October 7, 1799, near Rich Square, North Carolina and was farmer and saloon owner. Mills Darden died on January 23, 1857 taking with him the reputation of being an incredibly powerful, though sensitive man. He refused newspaper interviews or to be photographed and as a result, no photograph exists of Mr. Darden.

there are some crazy huge fuckers in nc

i remember some time back i was eating at some real countryfied buffet in hillsboro nc,...and saw this beast of a farmer wearing overalls had to be an easy 500 pounds with 22 inch forearms not biceps but forearms. probably was around 6feet6 or so i remember being like "wtf" for days after that
A

Sarcastic Deity

• Getbig III
there are some crazy huge fuckers in nc

i remember some time back i was eating at some real countryfied buffet in hillsboro nc,...and saw this beast of a farmer wearing overalls had to be an easy 500 pounds with 22 inch forearms not biceps but forearms. probably was around 6feet6 or so i remember being like "wtf" for days after that

yes..now that you mention it, i think the heaviest man to ever exist was from NC, too...i wonder what the hell is that about..lol

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
yes..now that you mention it, i think the heaviest man to ever exist was from NC, too...i wonder what the hell is that about..lol

North Carolina owns all other states when it comes to athletes, and innovative thinkers and personalities, and monster beasts

A

Sarcastic Deity

• Getbig III

holy shit...LOL....also from north carolina:

Benny McGuire, half of the famous giant McGuire twins, died Monday of heart failure in Hendersonville, N.C. at 54.

Benny and Billy, whose real last name was McCrary, at 814 pounds and 784 pounds in the Guinness Book of World Records, are most widely recognized in a famous photograph of them on motorcycles. It was taken as they rode across country for a Honda promotion.

In the 1970s, the twins traveled around the world as tag team partners. They called themselves the McGuire twins because announcers in foreign countries had difficulty pronouncing McCrary. They appeared several times on 'The Tonight Show.'

In an interview with Scott Teal's Whatever Happened to ...? publication a while back Benny McGuire talked about the cross-country promotion. "We worked out a deal with Honda Motorcycle Company and rode mini-bikes from New York to L.A. Three thousand miles. We rode a hundred miles a day and it took us thirty days. I also had a deal worked out with Holiday Inn where we'd stay at night, and we'd ride into town and give autographs at a dealership for a couple hours."

During the cross-country trip, they stopped in El Paso, Texas and went to the wrestling matches. Gory Guerrero approached them about wrestling. "Gory Guerrero came up to me and Billy and thought we were gonna wrestle. We said, 'No. We sure love rasslin', and we've done a lot of rasslin' between each other, but we'd be interested in gettin' into it.' He said, 'Go ahead and finish your engagement for Honda. When you come back through El Paso, stop by and see me.' We did ... and he trained us."

Eddie Guerrero, Gory's son, was one of the youngsters watching the twins learn the mat game in Juarez, Mexico. Gory Guerrero worked out a routine for the McGuires where they didn't take bumps like regular wrestlers, instead other wrestlers would run at them and fall down.

Benny remembered that Gory took the training seriously. "Gory wanted to make it strictly rasslin'. We didn't wave our butts and wave them at people, like the other heavy guys did. We had some high spots, though. I'd get 'em in the corner and Billy would run in against me. The steamroller ... we'd get 'em down and just roll up and down 'em. That was one of our finishing moves. And the big splash ... that's what blew my knees out. I did the move most of the time, then Billy would come sit on top of me. I've had wrestlers poo-poo in their pants from the weight. (laughs)"

They trained about two months in Mexico and began wrestling there, often in bullrings. From there, they went to work with Dory Funk Sr. in Amarillo, Texas. Later, they worked for Leroy McGuirk in Oklahoma City and in Nashville. After that, they were pretty seasoned and hit the road.

In Japan, they switched from being the McCrary Twins to the McGuire Twins. "The announcers would have trouble with it. They would pronounce it Queary and we'd say, 'We ain't no queers.' We changed it to the McGuires. Nick Gulas come up with the idea, by the way. He said, 'The McGuire Sisters done good. Let's see how the McGuire Twins do.' That stuck with us."

After Billy died in 1979, Benny teamed up with other wrestlers, including Andre the Giant, before retiring from the sport. He later bought a pawn shop in Hendersonville, where he worked as an auctioneer.

In 1998, McCrary moved with his wife Tammie to Walkertown and began working for the Christian Golfers Ministry at the Pine Knolls Golf Course.

In a 1998 interview with Inside Wrestling magazine, McCrary said he and his brother began gaining weight when they were 4 years old after their pituitary glands were damaged by German measles.

"That's why our parents bought the farm,'' he said. ``They said 'Maybe they'll burn the calories up working on the farm.'''

The twins weighed 200 pounds each by age 10 and had topped 600 pounds by age 16. The McCrary brothers grew up in Hendersonville, but dropped out of East Henderson High School to travel to Texas, where they worked branding cattle.

McCrary is survived by his mother, Virginia McKinnish McCrary, and a grandmother, Mary McCrary.