Author Topic: Natural Targets  (Read 1837 times)

burn2live

• Getbig IV
Natural Targets
« on: May 10, 2008, 06:40:43 PM »
What are good natural peak targets for a powerlifter? I mean what would be respectable and what should I be aiming to achieve naturally? (in my case a 242lb class lifter)

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
Re: Natural Targets
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2008, 09:31:49 PM »
What are good natural peak targets for a powerlifter? I mean what would be respectable and what should I be aiming to achieve naturally? (in my case a 242lb class lifter)

I'm not trying to be a smartass with this reply, so please don't take it that way. 

I've gottten to the point where I think asking questions like "whats strong for a natural at my weight class" or "whats respectable" or anything like that is a subconscious means of shooting yourself in the foot. 

You want a goal?  Then look at the rules of the federation you compete in and figure out what it takes to total ELITE.  That should be your goal.    Once you total ELITE, your goal should be state, national, or world records.

Don't get caught up in what some other schmuck thinks is "respectable".  What'll happen if you do that is you run a very good risk of cutting yourself back once you get close to that arbitrary number.  You can start thinking "damn I'm strong" and you don't stop to realize you haven't reached your potential yet, but you don't strive for the limit either.  I think I sort of did this for years.  Then I got smarter.  Just get under the bar and lift the heaviest possible weights you can.   

Even if you don't compete, chart your PR's and make sure you are constantly increasing on what you've got as a personal record.  If you don't set mental barriers for yourself, you very well may surprise yourself with what you are actually capable of doing. 

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2008, 12:25:47 AM »
perfect response.

thing is, if you say, for example, "a 400 pound bench is a good target for a natural", then two things will happen. if you do get it, you'll think you've hit a target that is, most likely, below your natural limit (400 being an arbitrary number for this example).

secondly, as you APPROACH it, your brain is going to screw you up by telling you that you're on the cusp of a natural's strength limits. you get a 390 bench and the jump to 400 is going to seem monumental.

if you want to know what "elite" is for a raw lifter, here's a good start: http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/node/794

as a 220 (yikes i feel skinny saying that), the best estimate says i need a 660 squat and deadlift, and a 440 bench. i have to admit the bench feels pretty doable, the deadlift long off but possible, but that squat is nearly laughable.

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2008, 02:24:15 AM »
Thanks for the comments guys. I don't ever intend on stopping lifting heavier  ;D I still have a long way to go to be classed as "elite" But I will get there  :)

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2008, 09:48:54 AM »
general rule: if you're ever satisfied with where you are, it means you set your goals too low.  ;)

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2008, 10:03:07 AM »
general rule: if you're ever satisfied with where you are, it means you set your goals too low.  ;)

Yeh, I'll never be satisfied. I've already exceeded a lot of my goals for this year, so I just keep making more  :D