Author Topic: Adrenal Fatigue  (Read 3916 times)

The Coach

Adrenal Fatigue
« on: May 12, 2008, 12:41:59 PM »
My research for my article is still ongoing, but I had brought this up some weeks ago and was met with some resistance regarding this topic. But here is just one more thing I came across from a new article on Poliquins site to help back my claims........

An Interview with Dr James Wilson
What is Adrenal Fatigue?

Adrenal Fatigue is any decrease (but not failure) in the ability of the adrenal glands to carry out their normal functions. The chief symptom of Adrenal Fatigue is, indeed, fatigue, but is accompanied by many other signs and symptoms. Adrenal Fatigue occurs when stress from any source (physical, emotional, mental, or environmental) exceeds, either cumulatively or in intensity, the body's capacity to adjust appropriately to the demands placed upon it by the stress. When this happens, the adrenals become fatigued and are unable to continue responding adequately to further stress. 

Who is most likely to suffer from Adrenal Fatigue?

Anyone, from birth to old age and from any race or culture, can suffer from Adrenal Fatigue. People vary greatly in their ability to respond to and withstand stress. However, those suffering from serious or repeated injury, illness, infectious disease, allergies, inadequate nutrition, intense social, emotional or physical pressures, or who are exposed to a toxic environment are most likely to suffer from Adrenal Fatigue. Unfortunately many of these factors are common in modern life. 

What causes Adrenal Fatigue?

There are multitudes of individual causes of Adrenal Fatigue but they usually stem from one of four common sources that overwhelm the body. 

1. disease states such as severe or recurrent pneumonia, bronchitis or flu, cancer, AIDS, auto-immune and other illnesses. 

2. physical stress such as surgery, poor nutrition, addiction, injury, exhaustion, etc. 

3. emotional stress, usually arising from relationship, work or psychological origins

4. continual and / or severe environmental stress from toxic chemicals and pollutants in the air, water, clothing or food 

Where are the adrenal glands?

The adrenal glands are two small glands, each about the size of a large grape, which sits over the kidneys. They are located in the back, near the bottom of the ribs on each side of the spine. 

Is Adrenal Fatigue common?

Yes, Adrenal Fatigue is a common disorder, estimated to affect many millions of people in the United States and other industrialized nations. This is why I call it the disease of the 21st century.

Once someone has Adrenal Fatigue, can he or she ever recover?

Yes, with proper treatment, most people can fully recover from Adrenal Fatigue. People in different situations, can take longer to recover from illnesses. 

Does Adrenal Fatigue affect the thyroid gland?

Yes. Approximately 80% of the people suffering from Adrenal Fatigue also suffer some form of decreased thyroid function. Often people who are shown to be low thyroid and are unresponsive to thyroid therapy are suffering from adrenal fatigue as well. For these people to get well, the adrenals must be supported in addition to the thyroid. 

Is one more prone to infections if he / she has adrenal fatigue?

Yes. Adrenal fatigue often goes hand in hand with decreased immune function, which makes someone more prone to illnesses. There is a special association between adrenal fatigue and respiratory infections, such as bronchitis and pneumonia. 

Does anyone ever go through life without adrenal fatigue or adrenal fatigue problems?

Yes. Many people go through life with only a temporary decrease in adrenal function after an infection, the death of a loved one, loss of a job or other severe stress, but their adrenals are able to bounce back and they recover. Someone with adrenal fatigue is overwhelmed and is very slow to recover from these same kinds of problems. 

If someone suddenly experiences an increase in the amount of allergies, could it be due to Adrenal Fatigue?

It has been long observed that people suffering from Adrenal Fatigue have a definite increase in allergic responses or become allergic to things that previously did not bother them. This is because cortisol, the major adrenal hormone, is the most powerful anti-inflammatory substance in the body. When the adrenals fatigue, cortisol levels drop and make it more likely that the body will have allergic (inflammatory) reactions and that these reactions will be more severe. 

What is the difference between Adrenal Fatigue and hypoadrenia?

Hypoadrenia, as it is used in a medical sense, refers to adrenal failure or the extremely low adrenal function which is called Addison's disease. Although hypoadrenia, in actuality, occurs in a spectrum ranging from almost normal to Addison's, only the most extreme low end is recognized and called hypoadrenia in medicine. The less severe forms of hypoadrenia are referred to as adrenal fatigue.

Are there laboratory tests that detect Adrenal Fatigue?

Yes. The most accurate and valuable laboratory test for detecting Adrenal Fatigue is the Saliva Adrenal Hormone Test. This simple and relatively inexpensive test has been unavailable until recently but offers several advantages over blood or urine tests.

1. It is the most accurate test for determining actual tissue levels of the adrenal hormones and associated steroids.

2. It is the most useful test for adrenal and other steroid hormone detection.

3. It is non-invasive, that is, no skin has to be broken or any other part of the body invaded to perform this test.

4. This means there is no fainting, no chance of infection, no accidental spread of disease and no necessity to face the dreaded needle in order to get an accurate sample.

5. It is not necessary to go to a laboratory to take this test.

6. It can be taken at home or anywhere for that matter.

7. Consequently, it is much easier to get patient compliance to take this test.

8. This test can be repeated as often as necessary without compromising patient safety or test accuracy.

9. Compared to other hormone tests, it is much less expensive.

10. Because it is non-invasive and portable, this test can be done several times during the same day if necessary.

There are other blood and urinary laboratory tests that can also be useful, but these require more interpretation beyond just a simple reading of the results. For example, blood cortisol levels can be useful when taken at specific times of the day if the doctor recognizes that the so-called "normal range" is much too broad and uses more exact criteria to determine adrenal dysfunction. The 24-hour urinary cortisol and the 24-hour ketosteroid and hydroxysteroid tests are also useful in some situations, but again they need special interpretation by physicians trained to recognize and treat Adrenal Fatigue.

Adrenal Fatigue can also cause changes in blood sodium and potassium levels as well as in lymphocyte counts. Knowing these electrolyte and white blood cell values are of value, especially when used in conjunction with other test results.

Remember however, that laboratory results should always be used in conjunction with other factors such as signs and symptoms, presentation, history and clinical indications as a part of the total picture comprising the person. We are looking at a person, not a test result. The test results are only one piece of the picture.

Click here to read Part II

The Coach

Re: Adrenal Fatigue
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 12:45:39 PM »
An Interview with Dr James Wilson
Is age a factor in Adrenal Fatigue?

Any age can suffer from Adrenal Fatigue but both the very young and very old are more vulnerable to stress and therefore to Adrenal Fatigue. 

How often can someone have a bout of Adrenal Fatigue?

It varies with the person. Some people have only one episode of Adrenal Fatigue during their lifetime, some have several, and others experience chronic Adrenal Fatigue from which they never fully recover.

Can Adrenal Fatigue become chronic?

Yes, in some people the adrenal glands do not return to normal levels of function without help, either because the stress was too great or too prolonged, or because their general health is poor. However, when Adrenal Fatigue becomes chronic it is almost always because of factors that can be changed. That is why I wrote this book, to provide the knowledge people need to recover from Adrenal Fatigue.

How can I keep my adrenal glands healthy?

The guidelines for keeping your adrenal glands healthy are very similar to the overall principles of good health. A moderate lifestyle with high quality food, regular exercise and adequate rest, along with a healthy mental attitude to the stresses of life go a long way towards keeping your adrenal glands strong and resilient. However, because modern life is so stressful, certain nutritional supplements are also important to both maintaining healthy adrenal glands and helping depleted adrenal glands recover. These supplements range from Ashwaganda to American Ginseng when looking at herbal solutions, while pantothenic acid and Vitamin C being at the forefront on the vitamin side. 

Can adrenal fatigue affect one's sex drive?

Yes. A common complaint from people suffering from adrenal fatigue is decreased sex drive. This is because some of the sex hormones are manufactured in the adrenal glands, as well as in the sex organs themselves. Low adrenal function can lead to low performance or low desire. Both usually return to normal as the adrenals recover. 

Is Adrenal Fatigue related to fibromyalgia or clinical depression?

Yes, Adrenal Fatigue can be related to both. Most people who suffer from fibromyalgia have a form of Adrenal Fatigue. Sometimes the adrenal fatigue comes before the fibromyalgia. A mild depression is also a chief sign of adrenal fatigue and although there are other conditions that cause clinical depression, if clinical depression is present, a saliva test for adrenal hormones will determine whether the adrenals are involved. 

Is Adrenal Fatigue related to chronic fatigue syndrome?

Yes, Adrenal Fatigue is a common, but usually unrecognized, component of chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS). The most likely connection between them is that the infectious agent(s) that lead to the development of CFS also set up conditions that foster Adrenal Fatigue. The direct effects of a smoldering pathogen in the body as well as the systematic stress the infection creates put the adrenals on overload. With new diagnostic procedures available for detecting the specific infectious agent(s) responsible, there have been encouraging results using a combination treatment that eliminates the specific pathogen(s) while strengthening the adrenals.

Will I need prescription drugs to treat Adrenal Fatigue?

Most cases of Adrenal Fatigue can be remedied without prescription drugs. The treatments given in my book are natural, inexpensive and effective, and most have been used by many aware physicians to help people recover from adrenal fatigue. The most severe cases may need prescription drugs in the treatment. 

What if the reader's doctor says there is no such illness as Adrenal Fatigue. What should I do?

Unfortunately, this is the view of many conventional doctors, but they are not as well informed as they believe. Adrenal Fatigue was first diagnosed over 100 years ago and has been successfully treated for decades. However, for various reasons that largely have to do with the close association between medicine and the pharmaceutical industry, the medical community has ignored the existence of adrenal fatigue syndrome over the past 40 years. The best thing to do is to switch to a doctor who is familiar with Adrenal Fatigue Syndrome. 

Do athletes or very fit people have the same risk as the rest of us of developing Adrenal Fatigue?

Athletes and very fit people can also suffer from Adrenal Fatigue under certain circumstances. If they push themselves too hard, skip meals, take drugs (e.g. steroids), and have a lifestyle that is otherwise not conducive to their health, they can lead themselves into Adrenal Fatigue, the same as anyone else. Relentlessly pushing themselves, as some athletes do, is also a significant risk factor. Also, severe injuries, illnesses and emotional stresses can debilitate the adrenal glands of athletes the same as they can in other people. Just because someone is an athlete does not necessarily mean they are in excellent health. The better overall health someone has, the less they will experience Adrenal Fatigue.

Does diet have anything to do with Adrenal Fatigue?

Yes. Diet has a lot to do with Adrenal Fatigue, both in its cause and in its recovery. The phrase "garbage in, garbage out" aptly describes the relationship between what we eat and Adrenal Fatigue. If we eat garbage, our bodies eventually become trashed and one of the common results is Adrenal Fatigue.

Are Americans more prone to Adrenal Fatigue than people from other nations?

Despite a relative abundance of resources, Americans have increased their likelihood of suffering from Adrenal Fatigue because of their hectic lifestyle, poor food choices, lack of exercise, and drug, alcohol and caffeine consumption. People of less wealthy nations may be subject to other factors that are individually worse than those Americans experience, but their overall lifestyle and social structure help counterbalance these.

If I already have Adrenal Fatigue, how likely am I to get worse or to even acquire Addison's disease?

The answer to this question largely depends upon you. The more things in this book you do to recover, the less likely you are to go down that path. Approximately 70% of cases of Addison's disease are actually an auto-immune disease, but the rest (about 30%) are precipitated by things that happen in people's lives. Your lifestyle, food choices, exercise patterns, attitudes and how you teach yourself to respond to stress all have a tremendous impact on whether you recover from Adrenal Fatigue or continue to progress downhill.

Are there any precautions I need to take before surgery to protect my adrenal glands?

Yes. Increase your intake of magnesium, pantothenic acid and ascorbic acid with bioflavinoids will help. Eat only high quality foods, especially good quality proteins and lots of dark green vegetables. Use self-hypnosis, visualization and/or relaxation methods to prepare yourself mentally and emotionally to remain calm and positive throughout the procedure to heal more quickly afterwards.

emn1964

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 12:53:58 PM »
wilson's a quack.  post up some studies by real doctors.

The Coach

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 12:55:17 PM »

I have in the past from several sources including jama. What do you know about Wilson?

The Coach

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 12:57:59 PM »

Hope this clears up some things.

Dr. James Wilson

James L. Wilson D.C., N.D., Ph.D. has helped hundreds of people with Adrenal Fatigue regain their health and vitality during his 24 years of private practice.

For the past 10 years he has lectured extensively to physicians and is acknowledged as an expert on endocrine imbalances and their impact on health, including the effects of stress on adrenal function.

He is the first person to have presented Adrenal Fatigue as a distinct, diagnosable syndrome. A scientist as well as a physician, Dr. Wilson holds 3 doctorate degrees and 2 master's degrees, all from different disciplines.

He was one of the founding fathers of the Canadian College of Naturopathic Medicine (CCNM) in Toronto, Ontario and is listed in The International Who's Who in Medicine (Cambridge, England).

His new book, Adrenal Fatigue: the 21st Century Stress Syndrome (Smart Publications, 2001) is a comprehensive self-help book on the diagnosis and treatment of Adrenal Fatigue. Dr. Wilson currently resides in Tucson, Arizona

emn1964

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 01:24:41 PM »
My biggest problem is that he's not a real doctor.  Second, I don't trust anyone's papers who is peddling something.  Wilson is peddling a book and some wacky ass supplements.  Has anything he has said been peer reviewed? 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 01:33:52 PM »
Joe,

You've been spewing this Obama propaganda for way too long here.

Just let us vote for McCain.  You libs keep this garbage on the political board.

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008, 01:52:41 PM »
can i just say summat here and i know i will get laughed at.

my kindneys are fucked. Though sometimes for no reason whatsoever i feel i get huge surges on adrenaline throughout my body. It feels the same as when u are about to fight. I have never had thisin the gym though usually after and i get huge shudders.

i guarentee you the day i get it in the gym im fucking jumping under a weight for a pb lol

come to think of it. i had it once when a guy was pissing me off and hit all time pb.s much easier than ever before on shoulder press one day and bench press the other. both times i felt like smacking someone or was in a confrontation

The Coach

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2008, 02:58:04 PM »
My biggest problem is that he's not a real doctor.  Second, I don't trust anyone's papers who is peddling something.  Wilson is peddling a book and some wacky ass supplements.  Has anything he has said been peer reviewed? 

Don't you think if he wasn't a dr. someone would have called him out as a fraud? BTW, did you read the bio?

The Coach

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2008, 03:01:46 PM »
Joe,

You've been spewing this Obama propaganda for way too long here.

Just let us vote for McCain.  You libs keep this garbage on the political board.

Rob, you have a habit of posting political shit in threads totally not related to the topic................whi ch brings me to my next question, are you severely ADHD :-\??

AGB

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2008, 03:50:25 PM »

Haha. Adrenal fatigue. No such thing.

The Coach

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2008, 04:00:39 PM »
Haha. Adrenal fatigue. No such thing.

Really? How so?

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2008, 04:04:26 PM »
if you 'think' you have adrenal fatigue, epxperiment with different diets,foods, vitamin, coffee,water ect perhaps with care and patience for self, this issue can  be resolved
A

The ChemistV2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2008, 04:04:52 PM »
I have a book on Adrenal fatigue and I believe it is 100% true. Overtraining definitely can tax the adrenals, so can abusing stimulants, along with prolonged mental and physical stress. The adrenals are responsible for numerous functions. Systemic inflammation can result, then the immune system can attack the inflammation resulting in disorders like MS, Arthritis, Lupus. Doctors often administer corticosteroids to combat many of these problems which can include asthma. They would never ponder the fact that if the adrenals were working properly a person wouldn't need synthetic versions of adrenal hormones. But most modern medicine is about giving chemicals that replace what the body is supposed to do rather than getting the body to function properly on it's own.

The Coach

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2008, 04:09:26 PM »
I have a book on Adrenal fatigue and I believe it is 100% true. Overtraining definitely can tax the adrenals, so can abusing stimulants, along with prolonged mental and physical stress. The adrenals are responsible for numerous functions. Systemic inflammation can result, then the immune system can attack the inflammation resulting in disorders like MS, Arthritis, Lupus. Doctors often administer corticosteroids to combat many of these problems which can include asthma. They would never ponder the fact that if the adrenals were working properly a person wouldn't need synthetic versions of adrenal hormones. But most modern medicine is about giving chemicals that replace what the body is supposed to do rather than getting the body to function properly on it's own.

When I first mentioned this the first time, the thread that I mentioned it in was a thread on ephedrine.

The ChemistV2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2008, 04:20:28 PM »
When I first mentioned this the first time, the thread that I mentioned it in was a thread on ephedrine.
I don't know why people have a hard time accepting the fact that if you were to abuse ephedrine, meth, or any strong stimulant, that you could overtax the major stress  glands of the body which are the adrenals. If they don't function properly, they won't produce the  proper level of adrenal hormones. In the US , there are more kids than ever that have diabetes. Is it because we suddenly have an epidemic of kids whose body's just stop producing insulin for no reason. No, you'd find most of these kids are from ethnic or low income families that feed the kids buckets of sugary cereals, sodas, candies until their pancreas gets exhausted and temporarily stops producing insulin. Rather than change the kid's eating habits, so the pancreas starts functioning normally, most doctors will simply put the kid on insulin for life thus insuring the kid will have chronic diabetes for life and all the complications that go with it. The adrenals are no different. Abuse them and they stop functioning properly. At least some medical doctors are starting to come around to this way of thinking. However, the pharmaceutical companies who fund most of the major studies, do not want doctors who think this way.

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2008, 04:27:44 PM »
There's definitely something to the theory of adrenal fatigue.  I'd like to see more hard science/studies though.
I've come across a few docs that follow the same thinking and txs.  Unfortunately, the ultra odd patients seem to be drawn to this type of non-mainstream medicine, which sometimes makes it appear less credible.

The ChemistV2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2008, 04:37:57 PM »
There's definitely something to the theory of adrenal fatigue.  I'd like to see more hard science/studies though.
I've come across a few docs that follow the same thinking and txs.  Unfortunately, the ultra odd patients seem to be drawn to this type of non-mainstream medicine, which sometimes makes it appear less credible.

There are more and more people that are starting to realize that modern medicine isn't usually about helping someone get healthy and have their body function normally..it's more about keeping the Pharmaceceutical money machine going, by giving drugs that manage the symptoms of a disorder. ..not trying to cure the root cause of the disorder. Don't have to be odd to take responsibility for your own health, rather than rely on some pharmaceutical drug to control your symptoms. That being said, if I were in an accident or was exposed to a strong toxin , or any numerous emergencies, I'll gladly put myself in the hands of modern medicine.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2008, 04:42:35 PM »
Rob, you have a habit of posting political shit in threads totally not related to the topic................whi ch brings me to my next question, are you severely ADHD :-\??

I'm just picking on you for your pro-obama stance.

I mean, I respect your opinion to choose any candidate you want... but you should stop defending that crazy reverend.

Bast000

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Team Malk-Gallon
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2008, 04:44:23 PM »
I'm just picking on you for your pro-obama stance.

I mean, I respect your opinion to choose any candidate you want... but you should stop defending that crazy reverend.

Obama probably never went to church.

The Coach

« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2008, 05:02:09 PM »
Obama probably never went to church.

He didn't.......it was more of a cult!