Author Topic: Libertarian Barr announces run for president...  (Read 3045 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Libertarian Barr announces run for president...
« on: May 12, 2008, 01:37:42 PM »
Barr will only chip away 3 to 5% of McCain's vote.  McCain will still win by a mile, right?

Former US congressman Bob Barr on Monday announced plans to run for president on the Libertarian Party's ticket, in a move some analysts say could hurt Republican presumptive nominee John McCain.

"My name is Bob Barr and I'm a candidate for the presidency of the United States of America," said the former Republican lawmaker, who played a key role in the congressional impeachment of former president Bill Clinton.

Barr said he was running because there was not "currently or anywhere on the horizon" any candidate who understood the principles of fiscal conservatism and basic principles on which he said America was founded.

The former Georgia congressman, who announced his plans at a press conference here, must first win the Libertarian Party's nomination before throwing himself into the 2008 field for real.

The 59-year-old said he was not concerned about the prospect of damaging McCain, possibly among conservative voters whom the Republican candidate has had trouble courting.

"If Senator McCain ... does not succeed in winning the presidency ... it will be because Senator McCain did not present, and his party did not present, a vision, an agenda, a platform and a series of programs that actually resonated positively with the American people."

Barr believes spending by the US government is running out of control and says federal authorities have seized powers not granted by the constitution, and believes US forces should be brought home from Iraq.

The Libertarian Party stands for non-interference by the US government in the personal and business lives of Americans, and advocates lower taxes, a smaller government and more individual freedom.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
Re: Libertarian Barr announces run for president...
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 06:47:01 PM »
Barr will only chip away 3 to 5% of McCain's vote.  McCain will still win by a mile, right?

Former US congressman Bob Barr on Monday announced plans to run for president on the Libertarian Party's ticket, in a move some analysts say could hurt Republican presumptive nominee John McCain.

"My name is Bob Barr and I'm a candidate for the presidency of the United States of America," said the former Republican lawmaker, who played a key role in the congressional impeachment of former president Bill Clinton.

Barr said he was running because there was not "currently or anywhere on the horizon" any candidate who understood the principles of fiscal conservatism and basic principles on which he said America was founded.

The former Georgia congressman, who announced his plans at a press conference here, must first win the Libertarian Party's nomination before throwing himself into the 2008 field for real.

The 59-year-old said he was not concerned about the prospect of damaging McCain, possibly among conservative voters whom the Republican candidate has had trouble courting.

"If Senator McCain ... does not succeed in winning the presidency ... it will be because Senator McCain did not present, and his party did not present, a vision, an agenda, a platform and a series of programs that actually resonated positively with the American people."

Barr believes spending by the US government is running out of control and says federal authorities have seized powers not granted by the constitution, and believes US forces should be brought home from Iraq.

The Libertarian Party stands for non-interference by the US government in the personal and business lives of Americans, and advocates lower taxes, a smaller government and more individual freedom.

He calls himself one but he isn't. Based on what I have read he sounds like a right wing nutcase.
I hate the State.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 06:50:14 PM »
Barr is an arrogant, hypocritical fool.  I doubt a noticeable number of independents and Republicans support him. 

War-Horse

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 07:17:12 PM »
Barr is an arrogant, hypocritical fool.  I doubt a noticeable number of independents and Republicans support him. 

Hahha.  What will you do when exactly that starts happening?       Your in La La Land.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 07:33:50 PM »

Hahha.  What will you do when exactly that starts happening?       Your in La La Land.

I'll go vote for McCain, unless he croaks before November. 

If you think Barr is a viable candidate, or that he's some kind of danger to Obama or McCain, then you probably don't know much about Barr. 

War-Horse

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 07:38:52 PM »
I'll go vote for McCain, unless he croaks before November. 

If you think Barr is a viable candidate, or that he's some kind of danger to Obama or McCain, then you probably don't know much about Barr. 

I think he'll cause a stir. While he shares some of ron pauls ideas, he's not as wild with them so i think he could steal alot of independants....never know.

I think Mccain croaking soon is a real possibility....not to healthy looking.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 07:39:03 PM »

10 to 20% of Americans consider themselves libertarians.
If only a tenth of that - 1 to 2% of voters - choose Barr, then Mccain loses a close one.

Also remember that Barr's position is almost IDENTICAL to Ron paul's on war, economy, and other major isssues.  if RP supports barr, or if RP's large vocal base suddenly sees Barr as a second RP, he could chip away enough repub vote to cost mccain the election.

or, imagine a world where Barr asks Ron paul to be his running mate.  How messy does shit get then? lol...

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008, 08:00:39 PM »

I think he'll cause a stir. While he shares some of ron pauls ideas, he's not as wild with them so i think he could steal alot of independants....never know.

I think Mccain croaking soon is a real possibility....not to healthy looking.

Have you ever listened to Barr?  He does not have the likeability factor, he doesn't have the charisma, he doesn't have the money to really do much of anything. 

He also has some skeletons.  He had a nasty divorce in which his wife accused him of forcing her to get an abortion (or something like that; don't remember exactly).  He is about as marketable a candidate as Cynthia McKinney IMO.   

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2008, 08:05:15 PM »
Have you ever listened to Barr?  He does not have the likeability factor, he doesn't have the charisma, he doesn't have the money to really do much of anything. 

He also has some skeletons.  He had a nasty divorce in which his wife accused him of forcing her to get an abortion (or something like that; don't remember exactly).  He is about as marketable a candidate as Cynthia McKinney IMO.   

Gee, did he ever call his wife a C*NT in front of a room full of reporters?

Did he leave the first wife for a 16-year od millionaire when she was sick?

every candidate has mistakes in their personal life.  I"m surprised you stooped low enough to point out Barrs, when your candidate has his own.

C*nt, huh?

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2008, 09:38:18 PM »
10 to 20% of Americans consider themselves libertarians.
If only a tenth of that - 1 to 2% of voters - choose Barr, then Mccain loses a close one.

Also remember that Barr's position is almost IDENTICAL to Ron paul's on war, economy, and other major isssues.  if RP supports barr, or if RP's large vocal base suddenly sees Barr as a second RP, he could chip away enough repub vote to cost mccain the election.

or, imagine a world where Barr asks Ron paul to be his running mate.  How messy does shit get then? lol...

No, he is a big supporter of the War on Drugs, 'sanctity of marriage', and all other sorts of 'conservative' nonsense; that's not Libertarian; then again I don't consider Ron Paul very libertarian, save on economic issues. His overweaning religiosity nauseates me. Barr is also a religious nutcase. True libertarianism or classical liberalism is decidedly conservative in terms of economics and liberal on social issues; it also has a secular basis as its greatest proponents were secular people.
I hate the State.

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2008, 11:48:55 PM »
No, he is a big supporter of the War on Drugs, 'sanctity of marriage', and all other sorts of 'conservative' nonsense; that's not Libertarian; then again I don't consider Ron Paul very libertarian, save on economic issues. His overweaning religiosity nauseates me. Barr is also a religious nutcase. True libertarianism or classical liberalism is decidedly conservative in terms of economics and liberal on social issues; it also has a secular basis as its greatest proponents were secular people.

Could you site a time where Ron has displayed "religiosity"?

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2008, 05:49:54 AM »
Could you site a time where Ron has displayed "religiosity"?

When he goes on about our rights being derived from his fictious deity, i.e. from the creator and his 'pro life' stance.
I hate the State.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2008, 06:41:30 AM »
he sounds like a right wing nutcase.
so you're saying he'll take even more of the republican vote from McCain :)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2008, 06:45:47 AM »
so you're saying he'll take even more of the republican vote from McCain :)

the analysts agree almost competely that it will be constitutionalist repub voters - republicans who dislike borrowing and war - that choose barr over Mccain.

Of course, asshats here will claim "obama is fuct now" because they are dumb.  Camp Mccain is not happy about the libertarian candidate.

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2008, 05:26:01 PM »
When he goes on about our rights being derived from his fictious deity, i.e. from the creator and his 'pro life' stance.

No, I think he talks about our individual rights as outlined by the Constitution. He doesn't say, "In the name of God we have to change foriegn policy." He says the war is unconstitutional. Out of all the candidates, I've never heard Ron Paul even mention his church or preacher or anything even close to that. I don't agree with his prolife stance but even there he believes it's not a Federal decision but a state decision and has never said God thinks it's immoral.

Inalienable (Individual) Rights are: natural rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. They are the most fundamental set of human rights, natural means not-granted nor conditional. They are applicable only to humans, as the basic necessity of their survival.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2008, 08:42:25 PM »
No, I think he talks about our individual rights as outlined by the Constitution. He doesn't say, "In the name of God we have to change foriegn policy." He says the war is unconstitutional. Out of all the candidates, I've never heard Ron Paul even mention his church or preacher or anything even close to that. I don't agree with his prolife stance but even there he believes it's not a Federal decision but a state decision and has never said God thinks it's immoral.

Inalienable (Individual) Rights are: natural rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. They are the most fundamental set of human rights, natural means not-granted nor conditional. They are applicable only to humans, as the basic necessity of their survival.

I hate the State.

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2008, 11:33:58 PM »

Cant hear the question, whats he asking him?