Author Topic: No more soda, candy in public schools  (Read 421 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
No more soda, candy in public schools
« on: May 14, 2008, 11:51:41 PM »
Different.

No more soda, candy in public schools
Department of Education adopts "wellness guidelines"
Associated Press

The state Department of Education is implementing new "wellness guidelines" that could end candy sales for fundraisers, boost fruit juice in place of soft drinks and lead to healthier food in school cafeterias.
The guidelines, which were developed by state education and Department of Health officials, also cover nutritional education, as well as physical education and activity for Hawaii students.

A federal mandate requires all school food authorities participating in the National Lunch Program to establish and implement wellness policies to promote healthy schools.

State officials said today that the guidelines should lead to significant changes in all public schools over the next four years.

For instance, sugary and carbonated beverages considered unhealthy will no longer be sold on campus and chocolate bars and other candy won't be sold for fundraisers. In addition, trans fat will no longer be used in preparing cafeteria meals.

"The commitment to the whole child -- mind and body -- brought the partners together to develop the Wellness Guidelines for Hawaii," state Schools Superintendent Patricia Hamamoto said. "The Department of Education and Department of Health continue to work together on helping schools implement the Wellness Guidelines for the children and youth of Hawaii."

To accommodate differences, schools will be allowed to select components of the guidelines to implement each year over a four-year rollout plan, officials said. Officials are requiring all of the components to be in place by June 2011.

"This is a significant step forward in developing lifelong healthy living habits among our children," Lt. Gov. James "Duke" Aiona said.

"We are taking a comprehensive approach to providing children healthy school environments through consistent practices from the classroom to the cafeteria to the playground," he said. "The Wellness Guidelines act as the official policy for the Hawaii state public school system."

The Education and Health departments will host workshops this month to help schools meet the new guidelines for healthier living.

State officials are also planning a summer workshop for businesses that provide fundraiser options for schools. The businesses will have the option to work with wellness staff on reformulating recipes and introducing new products.

http://starbulletin.com/breaking/breaking.php?id=7103

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: No more soda, candy in public schools
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 05:43:41 AM »
I like the idea.  Fruit juice and healthy snacks in machines instead of soda.  I am not sure a 14-year old (high school) or 11-year old (middle school) has the mental capacity to know that 3 moutain dews each day during lunch is a horrible idea.

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
Re: No more soda, candy in public schools
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 05:46:15 AM »
I like the idea.  Fruit juice and healthy snacks in machines instead of soda.  I am not sure a 14-year old (high school) or 11-year old (middle school) has the mental capacity to know that 3 moutain dews each day during lunch is a horrible idea.

back when i ws growing up we were not allowed sodas unless it ws a special ocassion
carpe` vaginum!