Author Topic: Supreme Court Affirms Right to Gay Marriage  (Read 112603 times)

CQ

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • TGT
Re: California Court Affirms Right to Gay Marriage
« Reply #400 on: November 12, 2008, 06:44:43 AM »
Hahaha, here go the blacks again acting like they were the only ones who have ever been oppressed and nobody else in history will ever feel their "pain" or their "suffering". What an absolute crock of self-deprecating bullshit.

Actually BF, safe to say most the convo around here about blacks isn't from us. If I was to get truly bored I could go through 5 pages of threads and show that. The ratio has to be an easy 10 to 1, people bring us up all the time, kinda creepy really.

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #401 on: November 12, 2008, 07:16:49 AM »
Actually BF, safe to say most the convo around here about blacks isn't from us. If I was to get truly bored I could go through 5 pages of threads and show that. The ratio has to be an easy 10 to 1, people bring us up all the time, kinda creepy really.

I'm mentioning you guys because no one can ever feel oppressed or harassed these days without it being compared to the civil rights movement, as if black people were the only people ever oppressed throughout history. I would say there are a lot of similarities between what blacks went through and what gays do and there are differences as well. To completely write their problems off as being below what the blacks went through is not only bullshit, but just a continuance of the self-deprecating black bullshit and their broken train of thought. I understand that more white people bring you up than blacks on here, but it's pathetic watching gay problems get written off by the blacks on here as "beneath" what they went through, when in reality "they" probably weren't even alive during the civil rights movement.

Gay beatings, murders, violence towards gays is all reminiscent of the civil rights movement. Now I'm not gay, but the double standard played by blacks really cracks me up. I personally don't hold marriage in any sort of religious regard so whether or not they marry is of no consequence to me. I have a thousand other things I would rather worry about than what little Sarah and Sally down the street choose to do.

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Ron = 'Princess L' & many other gimmicks - FACT!
« Reply #402 on: November 12, 2008, 07:22:00 AM »
Now I'm not gay...
No, just a self loathing Jew.  :D
!

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #403 on: November 12, 2008, 07:23:54 AM »
No, just a self loathing Jew.  :D

Aww, ickle wickle Tyrone Rafiq Shakira Mohammed III is still upset with me.

Apparently you're still brainwashed by the institution known as religion, as evidenced by your hypocrisies regarding gay marriage. What a bitter and angry 40 year old black man. I'm sorry that your life turned out terrible and you blame it on whitey, but get over it. Probably has to do with the fact that there's a very high chance that your IQ is lower than most whites. 

I know it stings Benny. I know. Keep venting on all the whites here, you racist crybaby. Get it all out.  :D

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #404 on: November 12, 2008, 08:51:23 AM »
Here are yet more examples of the “tolerance” from some protestors of Prop. 8:
Churches Vandalized Over Prop 8

Several churches have been vandalized by apparent supporters of same-sex marriage since the idea was banned in California last week, local police have reported.

Proposition 8, which defines marriage as the union between one man and one woman, was passed 52 to 47 percent on Nov. 4. Since then, local authorities have reported a protest or vandalized property nearly every day.

Last Friday in Orangevale, Calif., a Latter-day Saints chapel sign and several walkways were tagged with the phrases "No on 8" and "hypocrites."

Saturday morning, two churches in San Luis Obispo, Calif. were also hit. Someone had poured adhesive on a doormat, key pad, and window at a Mormon church, while eggs and toilet paper were thrown at a nearby Assembly of God church.

Mormons, Evangelical Christian churches, and other religious groups were strong supporters of Proposition 8 and provided much of the funding for the measure.

Monday in Utah, home to the Mormon church, the windows of five Latter-day Saints wardhouses were shot out with a BB gun. Police, however, did not openly link the damages to Prop 8 supporters.

"A lot of opinion has generated that this is in connection with Prop 8," Layton Utah Police Lt. Quinn Moyes said. "We aren't making that connection yet."

Several protests have also been reported in California; most of them peaceful.

About 1,000 gay rights supporters protested outside Rick Warren's Saddleback Church in Lake Forest, Sunday. Warren publicly endorsed Prop 8 weeks before the Nov. 4 election.

Monday, at least 400 gathered outside a Mormon church in Oakland. Police had to close two highway ramps because of the protest.

Marriage ballots were also passed in Arizona and Florida, but demonstrations have been on a smaller scale in the states.[/i

http://www.cbn.com/CBNnews/479857.aspx

And, lest some folks think that these reports are coming from “hate sites”:

Church Vandalized With 'No On 8' Tags:

Messages Spray-Painted On Walkways At Orangevale Chapel

ORANGEVALE, Calif. - A Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints chapel was tagged by vandals who are apparent opponents of a same-sex marriage ban that voters recently passed.

The church's main sign was tagged with a "No on 8" message, as were several walkways. A message that said "hypocrites" was also painted on the property.

"It is evident that the election results for the constitutional marriage amendment will not mean an end to the debate over same-sex marriage in this state, or our country," regional church spokeswoman Lisa West said in a statement. "We hope that now and in the future all parties involved in this issue will act in a spirit of mutual respect and civility toward those with a different position."

Logan Jackson, a member of the church who said he's not speaking on its behalf, called the vandalism "saddening."

California voters approved Proposition 8, a ban on same-sex marriage, on Tuesday.

The outcome has sparked protests across the state from those who opposed the measure, including a massive demonstration in front of a Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints chapel in Los Angeles on Wednesday.

The church encouraged its members to work to pass California's Proposition 8 by volunteering their time and money for the campaign. Thousands of Mormons worked as grassroots volunteers and gave tens of millions of dollars to the campaign.

Church officials said members were encouraged to support the ban but deny making any institutional donations.

The chapel is on the 7900 block of Hazel Avenue.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27601056/

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #405 on: November 12, 2008, 09:06:28 AM »
It seems that lots of people are acting a fool, over this issue in California, as a Jewish synagouge that performs gay "marriages" got vandalized, as well.

Jewish Synagogue Targeted By Vandals
Prop. 8 Controversy At Helm Of Vandalism

SACRAMENTO, Calif. - A progressive Jewish synagogue in Sacramento is the latest victim of vandalism in the divide over a ban on gay marriage in California.

Leviticus 18:3 was spray painted on the wall at the Congregation B'nai Israel following Tuesday's election in which voters passed Proposition 8, a constitutional amendment defining marriage as between one man and one woman.

That verse in the Bible says: ''You shall not do what is done in the land of Egypt where you lived, nor are you to do what is done in the land of Canaan where I am bringing you; you shall not walk in their statutes.'

It appeared whoever spray painted the scriptural reference was condemning this Jewish Synagogue for performing several same-sex ceremonies.

A video shows one such ceremony from September.

Congregation B'nai Israel said they acknowledge there are other Jewish temples that do not support same-sex marriage.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27631731/

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #406 on: November 12, 2008, 10:10:57 AM »
Lovely.  ::)  That kind of extremism isn't going to make selling this thing to the public any easier.   

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #407 on: November 12, 2008, 10:14:57 AM »
Lovely.  ::)  That kind of extremism isn't going to make selling this thing to the public any easier.   
Would you tell me how you feel about gay marriage?

Do you think it is the business of government to keep these people seeking marriage disenfranchised?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #408 on: November 12, 2008, 10:26:03 AM »
Would you tell me how you feel about gay marriage?

Do you think it is the business of government to keep these people seeking marriage disenfranchised?

I'm opposed, just like the overwhelming majority of the voting public, state legislatures, and the U.S. House and Senate, Presidents Clinton (who signed the Defense of Marriage Act) and Bush.  Even Obama claims to oppose homosexual marriage. 

Marriage is the government's business, because it regulates marriage.  Government has decided that marriage should be between one man and woman, like it has been since the institution started.  The public does not want to redefine marriage.  I do think it will happen one day, but for the time being, whenever it comes up for a vote, I'll be expressing my opinion at the ballot box (although we already voted to preserve traditional marriage here by 70 percent). 

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #409 on: November 12, 2008, 10:31:43 AM »
I'm opposed, just like the overwhelming majority of the voting public, state legislatures, and the U.S. House and Senate, Presidents Clinton (who signed the Defense of Marriage Act) and Bush.  Even Obama claims to oppose homosexual marriage. 

Marriage is the government's business, because it regulates marriage.  Government has decided that marriage should be between one man and woman, like it has been since the institution started.  The public does not want to redefine marriage.  I do think it will happen one day, but for the time being, whenever it comes up for a vote, I'll be expressing my opinion at the ballot box (although we already voted to preserve traditional marriage here by 70 percent). 

Fair enough and it was the answer I expected.  A good one.  But like with separate but equal, which the country fully supported, this oppression will fall.  I think you're right saying that it is doomed.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #410 on: November 12, 2008, 10:44:40 AM »
Fair enough and it was the answer I expected.  A good one.  But like with separate but equal, which the country fully supported, this oppression will fall.  I think you're right saying that it is doomed.

It will fall, but I don't view it as oppression.  We are doing some dangerous things in our society.  I don't think homosexual marriage is dangerous, but to get there we are embracing confusion.  I've said this many times, but this isn't just about legitimizing homosexual behavior, because the movement include bisexuals, transsexuals, and transvestites under their umbrella.  Also, we have even redefined gender by statute in Hawaii (and probably other states).  It's incredible.  Here, gender is whatever you think it is on whatever day you think it is.     

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #411 on: November 12, 2008, 11:25:55 AM »
Gay Marriages Begin in Connecticut
By LISA W. FODERARO

NEW HAVEN — Bunches of white balloons and giant sprays of long-stemmed red roses festooned City Hall here Wednesday morning, as one of the eight couples who successfully sued the state to allow same-sex marriage became the first to obtain a marriage license as the law took effect.

The couple, Barbara and Robin Levine-Ritterman, filled out the paperwork and waited about 10 minutes for it to be processed, but they said they would not marry today because they were still working out their wedding plan. “We’re thinking about doing it May,” said Robin Levine-Ritterman, who was holding a bouquet of roses. “We really wanted to be part of this historic first.”

The official start of gay marriages came a month after Connecticut’s highest court legalized the unions, and the court announced only last week that Wednesday would be the official first day of nuptials. Many gay and lesbian couples said they would wait to apply for their licenses, which expire after 65 days, as they planned big wedding celebrations for the spring and summer.

Advocates for same-sex marriage predicted there would not be the same rush for licenses here on Wednesday that there was in 2004 when Massachusetts became the first state to legalize the unions, and in June, when California began performing the ceremonies. They cited the short notice of Wednesday’s events and the fact that Connecticut has had civil unions for gay couples since 2005. But the lawyers who argued the case and others called the day momentous, especially as a counterpoint to last week’s passage of a ballot measure in California invalidating that state’s court decision legalizing gay marriage.

“Today, Connecticut sends a message of hope and promise to lesbian and gay people throughout the country who want to be treated as equal citizens by their government,” said Ben Klein, a lawyer with Gay and Lesbian Advocates and Defenders, a Boston group that litigated the Connecticut case. “It is living proof that marriage equality is moving forward in this country.”

Among the first couples actually to be married, just before 11 a.m., was Peg Oliveira, a 36-year-old yoga teacher, and Jen Vickery, a 44-year-old lawyer, who wed just outside City Hall with their 3-month-old daughter, Willow, and half a dozen friends watching. They exchanged rings, shared a story about how Ms. Oliveira proposed in the aisles of IKEA, and then had a slow, tender kiss after a friend, Judge F. Herbert Gruendel of the state appellate court, pronounced them married.

“We decided that we wanted to hold out for the real thing,” Ms. Oliveira said of why the couple, together four years, had not entered into a civil union. “We’re not having a party. Parties are fun. It’s not about the celebrating piece of this. It’s about honoring the magnitude of the rights that we will be granted and we wanted to jump in and take advantage of that right away.”

Massachusetts and Connecticut are now the only states allowing same-sex marriage. Vermont and New Hampshire also have civil unions. And California has domestic partnerships that provide many similar rights and privileges.

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #412 on: November 12, 2008, 12:00:37 PM »
I live in Connecticut. Interestingly enough, the state didn't fall into hell today.  ::)

drkaje

• Getbig V
  • Quiet, Err. I'm transmitting rage.
« Reply #413 on: November 12, 2008, 01:33:54 PM »
I live in Connecticut. Interestingly enough, the state didn't fall into hell today.  ::)

So your marriage license is safe? :)

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #414 on: November 12, 2008, 02:11:52 PM »
So your marriage license is safe? :)

Doc, my boy, I know you're in NY. It's just a stone's throw away if and when you and Junaids ever decide to take the next step in your relationship.

drkaje

• Getbig V
« Reply #415 on: November 12, 2008, 03:20:47 PM »
Doc, my boy, I know you're in NY. It's just a stone's throw away if and when you and Junaids ever decide to take the next step in your relationship.

New York state recognizes marriages from other states. If you and your husband ever come upstate, pleas call.  :)

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #416 on: November 12, 2008, 03:32:22 PM »
New York state recognizes marriages from other states. If you and your husband ever come upstate, pleas call.  :)

That's a good thing. You and Junaids won't be forced to stay in CT.

drkaje

• Getbig V
« Reply #417 on: November 12, 2008, 03:39:49 PM »
That's a good thing. You and Junaids won't be forced to stay in CT.

Screw CT, I'm only willing to leave New York for someplace warm. Freezing my ass off already and there's no snow.

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #418 on: November 12, 2008, 03:41:45 PM »
Screw CT, I'm only willing to leave New York for someplace warm. Freezing my ass off already and there's no snow.

Fall is the best season of the year. Right when it starts getting crisp. Not freezing but crisp. Like high 30s. Nice fleece, see your breath, that kind of shit. Really wakes one up.

drkaje

• Getbig V
« Reply #419 on: November 12, 2008, 03:50:12 PM »
Fall is the best season of the year. Right when it starts getting crisp. Not freezing but crisp. Like high 30s. Nice fleece, see your breath, that kind of shit. Really wakes one up.

I want to be on a beach... drinking, smoking cigars and chilling. I hate being cold

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #420 on: November 12, 2008, 03:51:59 PM »
I want to be on a beach... drinking, smoking cigars and chilling. I hate being cold

Calm on Doc, black people can't swim.

I like the beach and this weather. I'm all indifferent to it. In another month or two when it's frigid and ugly as shit up here I'll like the beach weather more than I do now.

I had to put a racist comment in there, was getting too lovey dovey. Got to keep it real.  ;)

drkaje

• Getbig V
« Reply #421 on: November 12, 2008, 04:04:58 PM »
Calm on Doc, black people can't swim.

I like the beach and this weather. I'm all indifferent to it. In another month or two when it's frigid and ugly as shit up here I'll like the beach weather more than I do now.

I had to put a racist comment in there, was getting too lovey dovey. Got to keep it real.  ;)

Surely you and 'friend' will be fireside all winter, LOL!

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #422 on: November 12, 2008, 04:08:17 PM »
Surely you and 'friend' will be fireside all winter, LOL!

Doc, the chances of me being gayer than you are incredibly slim. I'm not the guy who hangs out with 30-something year old Pakistani homosexuals I met on a bodybuilding forum.  ;)

drkaje

• Getbig V
« Reply #423 on: November 12, 2008, 04:43:56 PM »
Doc, the chances of me being gayer than you are incredibly slim. I'm not the guy who hangs out with 30-something year old Pakistani homosexuals I met on a bodybuilding forum.  ;)

You are so more likely to be gay than me, you Mo!  :)

Let's see.. you probably dress better, own hair product and always have to get in the last word.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #424 on: November 14, 2008, 08:33:20 AM »
State high court interested in Prop. 8 suits
Bob Egelko, Chronicle Staff Writer

(11-13) 18:17 PST SAN FRANCISCO -- The California Supreme Court has asked state Attorney General Jerry Brown to reply by Monday to lawsuits challenging the voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage - a sign that the justices are taking the cases seriously and will not dispose of them quickly.

Two groups of gay and lesbian couples and local governments led by the city of San Francisco filed the suits a day after the Nov. 4 election, when Proposition 8 passed with a 52 percent majority.

They argue that the initiative, a state constitutional amendment, violates other provisions of the California Constitution by taking rights away from a historically persecuted minority group and stripping judges of their power to protect that group. The couples' suits contend that Prop. 8 makes such fundamental changes that it amounts to a constitutional revision, which can be placed on the ballot only by a two-thirds vote of the Legislature.

Brown has said he will defend Prop. 8 in court while also supporting the legality of an estimated 18,000 weddings performed under the court's May 15 ruling legalizing same-sex marriage.

That ruling declared that state law defining marriage as being between a man and a woman violated the state Constitution. Sponsors of Prop. 8 contend that the initiative - which declared that only marriage between a man and a woman is "valid or recognized in California" - would invalidate all existing same-sex marriages.

The filing the court requested from Brown's office will not address the ballot measure's validity, but will focus instead on the initial questions of whether the justices should accept the suits for review - and, if so, whether they should suspend Prop. 8 while they decide the case, said the state's lawyer, Christopher Krueger, a senior assistant attorney general. Suspending Prop. 8 would allow same-sex marriages to resume.

"I think it's fair to infer that the court is looking at these (cases) very carefully," Krueger said. Usually, he said, when plaintiffs ask the state's high court to take up their case directly without first filing in a lower court, the justices dismiss the suit without asking the other side for a reply.

Krueger declined to say whether Brown's office would ask the court to dismiss the suits without further review. He noted, however, that Bill Lockyer, the attorney general when gay-rights advocates first challenged the marriage law, invited the state Supreme Court to review the issue in 2006 even after an appellate court had upheld the ban on same-sex marriage.

Although the court's request, issued Wednesday, did not mention any issues in the suits or state the justices' views, "it indicates that the Supreme Court sees the seriousness and immensity of the issue, and before it takes any action it wants to hear from Jerry Brown," said Irving Greines, an appellate lawyer in Los Angeles.

Greines filed papers Wednesday on behalf of the Beverly Hills Bar Association and California Women Lawyers supporting the legal challenges to Prop. 8 and urging the court to accept the suits for review. On Thursday, the conservative Pacific Justice Institute submitted a letter arguing that the court lacks authority to issue a stay that would suspend a voter-approved state constitutional amendment.