Author Topic: Supreme Court Affirms Right to Gay Marriage  (Read 112025 times)

BayGBM

• Getbig V
Re: Supreme Court Affirms Right to Gay Marriage
« Reply #1100 on: June 30, 2013, 12:09:00 PM »
Supreme Court justice denies Prop 8 supporters’ request to halt same-sex marriage licenses
By Associated Press

WASHINGTON — Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy has denied a request from Proposition 8 supporters in California to halt the issuance of same-sex marriage licenses in the nation’s most populous state.

Kennedy turned away the request on Sunday with no additional comment.

Same-sex marriage opponents asked him to step in on Saturday, a day after the federal appeals court in San Francisco allowed same-sex marriages to go forward. Numerous weddings were performed at San Francisco City Hall following the court decisions.

The opponents said the appeals court had acted about three weeks too soon. Proposition 8 supporters could continue their efforts to halt gay marriage by filing their request with another Supreme Court justice.

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #1101 on: June 30, 2013, 12:49:31 PM »
Congrats, bay. It was to long coming.  I hope you and the mayor are happy. 
A

Chadwick The Beta

• Getbig V
  • "Stop calling me by my name."
« Reply #1102 on: June 30, 2013, 01:51:34 PM »
Congrats, bay. It was to long coming.  I hope you and the mayor are happy. 

He only wishes he could marry Mayor McCheese.

K

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #1103 on: July 01, 2013, 05:06:14 PM »
Hurt just a little?  Or ass-on-fire butthurt like Chadwick?

Like a long, slow, throbbing, pulsating, burn...oh wait....

I didn't think these things were allowed on the Politics board?

It's not.  Usually the mods here address it, and it's one of the reasons I prefer this board.  Keep that family shit outta here!

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #1104 on: July 01, 2013, 09:37:04 PM »

Like a long, slow, throbbing, pulsating, burn...oh wait....

It's not.  Usually the mods here address it, and it's one of the reasons I prefer this board.  Keep that family shit outta here!

Well, he's railing against Gay marriage and one of the more prominent Mods is a very devout christian, so he will not intervene.

Sad.

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #1105 on: July 02, 2013, 04:42:18 AM »
Well, he's railing against Gay marriage and one of the more prominent Mods is a very devout christian, so he will not intervene.

Sad.

Translation = hypocrite

Chadwick The Beta

• Getbig V
« Reply #1106 on: July 02, 2013, 12:34:28 PM »
Translation = hypocrite

::)

Nobody has to pretend that abominable behavior is normal, even if society "accepts" such behavior.
K

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #1107 on: July 02, 2013, 05:37:40 PM »

Nobody has to pretend that stupid people are relevant, even if society "tolerates" them.

chadstallion

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1108 on: July 03, 2013, 12:46:16 PM »

Nobody has to pretend that stupid people are relevant, even if society "tolerates" them.

I could kiss you, or at least buy you a drink... ;D
w

Chadwick The Beta

• Getbig V
« Reply #1109 on: July 03, 2013, 12:51:17 PM »

Hilarious retort "Lurker No More" but again...no amount of "societal acceptance" will make abnormal behavior normal.  See if the Court can declare dying of AIDS un-Constitutional. 
K

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #1110 on: July 03, 2013, 02:26:41 PM »
Sounds like you are having a really tough time over this queer issue.

Chadwick The Beta

• Getbig V
« Reply #1111 on: July 03, 2013, 02:29:40 PM »
Sounds like you are having a really tough time over this queer issue.

not nearly as rough a time as you will when AIDS catches up to you
K

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #1112 on: July 03, 2013, 02:37:09 PM »
Since it won't catch up with me, it is safe to say I will be much happier day in and day out than you apparently will be.

Sounds like there is a deeper reason for your angst and whining.  Most likely due to your boyfriend rejecting your marriage proposal. 

Chadwick The Beta

• Getbig V
« Reply #1113 on: July 03, 2013, 02:39:35 PM »
Since it won't catch up with me, it is safe to say I will be much happier day in and day out than you apparently will be.

Sounds like there is a deeper reason for your angst and whining.  Most likely due to your boyfriend rejecting your marriage proposal. 

nice try, polesmoker

a lot of dead queers didn't think AIDS would catch up to them, but it did

K

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #1114 on: July 03, 2013, 02:43:54 PM »
Well seeing how it is a queer disease by your definition, I am double safe since I am straight.

You are really taking that "no" kind of hard huh?

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1115 on: July 03, 2013, 02:44:58 PM »

nice try, polesmoker

hahahaha still living in the 80's

chadstallion

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1116 on: July 03, 2013, 05:41:11 PM »

nice try, polesmoker

AIDS, in 2013?  there are drugs these days. not like the 80s
w

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #1117 on: July 09, 2013, 08:53:47 AM »
A.C.L.U. Lawsuit Aims to Overturn Pennsylvania’s Ban on Gay Marriage
By TRIP GABRIEL

The Supreme Court returned the battle over same-sex marriage to the states last month, and Deb and Susan Whitewood are among the first to pick up the fight.

A couple for 22 years with two teenage daughters, the Whitewoods filed suit on Tuesday to overturn Pennsylvania’s ban on gay marriage, one of the first of an expected outpouring of cases around the country to cite the court’s majority opinion that same-sex couples are denied a “status of immense import” and their children deprived of “the integrity and closeness of their own family.”

The suit, carefully assembled by the American Civil Liberties Union, was filed in Federal District Court in Harrisburg with the aim of adding Pennsylvania to the column of 13 other states permitting same-sex marriage, plus the District of Columbia. The 23 plaintiffs come from many walks of life, including a doctor, college professors, a truck driver, a Vietnam veteran and a widow who lost her partner of 29 years.

“What we’re looking for is the validation from the legal system that we are equal in our marriage as anyone else,” said Susan Whitewood, 49, in an interview before a planned news conference to announce the suit at the Pennsylvania Capitol in Harrisburg.

The legalization of same-sex marriage has primarily come through the political process, with lawmakers and voters approving it in six states in just the past year. But earlier victories were achieved through state courts, including in Massachusetts and Iowa. The A.C.L.U. acknowledged that it was bringing suit in Pennsylvania because overturning the state’s gay marriage ban in the Republican-controlled legislature is a near-term impossibility.

Pennsylvania’s law defines marriage as between a man and a woman – similar to the federal law struck down by the Supreme Court — and it denies recognition to same-sex marriages legally performed elsewhere.

Gay-marriage opponents say using the courts undermines the will of the voters. Michael Geer, president of the Pennsylvania Family Institute, which opposes same-sex marriage, said that in 1996 when the state passed its law, fewer than 25 out of some 240 legislators opposed it.

“The fact the A.C.L.U. is turning to the courts to try to redefine marriage takes it out of the hands of the people,” he said.

The A.C.L.U. plans to file suit shortly in two other states, Virginia and North Carolina. In Michigan, a federal judge blocked a state law denying domestic partner benefits to public employees, citing last month’s United States Supreme Court rulings. “You’ll have these things filed all over the place,” said Frank Schubert, political director of the National Organization for Marriage, which opposes same-sex marriage.

James Esseks, national director of the LGBT Project at the A.C.L.U., agreed. “No question this issue will get back to U.S. Supreme Court over the next several years,” he said.

At the heart of many of the cases is the issue the Supreme Court ducked in one of its two recent rulings, a narrow decision on a California case: If a state prohibits same-sex couples from marrying, does it trample the guarantee of equal protection in the United States Constitution?

Supporters believe that enlarging the map of states that allow same-sex marriage will ultimately influence the Supreme Court when it next takes up the issue of a constitutional right to same-sex marriage, as it is expected to do in the next few years. Activists are pressing legislatures in three more states that appear ready to pass measures legalizing same-sex marriage: New Jersey, Hawaii and Illinois.

“We think what the map of the country looks like is going to make a big difference to how the issues in the case feel to the Supreme Court,” Mr. Esseks said. “Will we have the 13 states plus D.C., or will we be at 20 or more?”

Opponents are fighting back under the same logic. They believe they have an opportunity to add Indiana to the 29 states with constitutional bans on same-sex marriage.

“Our challenge is to let the court see they’re not going to get away with this without a massive public revolt,” said Mr. Schubert of the National Organization for Marriage.

Both sides have trained their focus on one man, Justice Anthony M. Kennedy, the frequent swing vote on the court, who wrote the 5-to-4 majority opinion striking down a key part of the federal Defense of Marriage Act. Justice Kennedy did not say whether there was a constitutional right to same-sex marriage, leaving it up to individual states. But he defined the terms of battle.

Opponents said that their course is to show how same-sex marriage is a breach of thousands of years of history.

Advocates have seized, especially, on Justice Kennedy’s language that denying marriage to gay and lesbian couples harms their children by assigning them second-class status. The Pennsylvania suit argues that children of same-sex couples are deprived of “social recognition and respect” and of financial benefits that married parents enjoy.

The Whitewoods said their daughters, Abbey, 16, and Katie, 14, were eager to join the suit.

“Having children means we have to protect our children in the utmost way,” said Susan Whitewood, a human resources executive. “We have to be enormously proactive in everything we do that we don’t get discriminated against or don’t have negative ramifications.”

Before school each year, she and her partner, Deb Whitewood, 45, a stay-at-home mother, met with teachers in their suburban Pittsburgh community to explain their family and answer any questions. Invariably their girls were the first a teacher had encountered with two moms, the women said.

“People would ask the questions,” Deb Whitewood said, “and then things would just go totally normal from there.”

chadstallion

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1118 on: July 11, 2013, 04:14:36 PM »
yup; and now the rest of the states will start to fall in line.
w

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #1119 on: July 15, 2013, 04:54:35 PM »
Prop. 8: California Supreme Court refuses to stop gay weddings
by Maura Dolan

The California Supreme Court refused Monday to stop gays from marrying while it considers a legal bid to revive Proposition 8.

The court rejected a request by ProtectMarriage, the sponsors of the 2008 ballot measure, to stop the issuing of marriage licenses to same-sex couples while considering the group’s contention that a federal judge’s injunction against the marriage ban did not apply statewide.

The court is not expected to rule on the group’s petition until August, at the earliest.

The U.S. Supreme Court decided last month that ProtectMarriage lacked the legal right to appeal a 2010 injunction against Proposition 8 issued by a federal trial judge in San Francisco.

Gov. Jerry Brown said the injunction compelled him to order county clerks to issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples.

But ProtectMarriage insists the injunction applies only to two counties at most and that Brown erred when he ordered clerks to stop enforcing the marriage ban.

State Atty. Gen. Kamala D. Harris, whose office represents Brown, has contended that ProtectMarriage is asking the state court to interfere with a federal court order in violation of the constitution.

Chadwick The Beta

• Getbig V
« Reply #1120 on: July 15, 2013, 04:57:20 PM »
Prop. 8: California Supreme Court refuses to stop gay weddings
by Maura Dolan

The California Supreme Court refused Monday to stop gays from marrying while it considers a legal bid to revive Proposition 8.

The court rejected a request by ProtectMarriage, the sponsors of the 2008 ballot measure, to stop the issuing of marriage licenses to same-sex couples while considering the group’s contention that a federal judge’s injunction against the marriage ban did not apply statewide.

The court is not expected to rule on the group’s petition until August, at the earliest.

The U.S. Supreme Court decided last month that ProtectMarriage lacked the legal right to appeal a 2010 injunction against Proposition 8 issued by a federal trial judge in San Francisco.

Gov. Jerry Brown said the injunction compelled him to order county clerks to issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples.

But ProtectMarriage insists the injunction applies only to two counties at most and that Brown erred when he ordered clerks to stop enforcing the marriage ban.

State Atty. Gen. Kamala D. Harris, whose office represents Brown, has contended that ProtectMarriage is asking the state court to interfere with a federal court order in violation of the constitution.

amusing that queers think their "marriages" are valid
K

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
« Reply #1121 on: July 16, 2013, 05:19:04 AM »
Someone is really having a hard time with this.

chadstallion

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1122 on: July 17, 2013, 11:10:45 AM »
amusing that queers think their "marriages" are valid
according to the law of the land, they are. and god has far too many other, real issues to worry about.
w

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #1123 on: July 17, 2013, 11:15:01 AM »
according to the law of the land, they are. and god has far too many other, real issues to worry about.

exactly

Jesus told me that his dad is busy right now trying to figure out who Zimmerman should murder next

Chadwick The Beta

• Getbig V
« Reply #1124 on: July 17, 2013, 01:32:40 PM »

disobediance of His laws is a real issue to Him

enjoy your "victory" while it lasts, rump ranger
K