Author Topic: Supreme Court Affirms Right to Gay Marriage  (Read 113170 times)

BayGBM

• Getbig V
Re: Supreme Court Affirms Right to Gay Marriage
« Reply #1150 on: February 13, 2014, 08:41:05 PM »
I made this argument about equal protection years ago. It's nice to see the courts are finally catching up.  ::)

Federal judge strikes down Va. ban on gay marriage
By Robert Barnes, Updated: Thursday, February 13, 8:10 PM

A federal judge in Norfolk struck down Virginia’s ban on same-sex marriage Thursday night, saying it violates the constitution’s guarantee of equal protection.

U.S. District Judge Arenda L. Wright Allen stayed her decision so that it can be appealed, and so same-sex marriages in the commonwealth will not begin immediately. Virginia Attorney General Mark R. Herring (D), who had switched the state’s legal position on the issue and joined two gay couples in asking that the ban be struck down, has said the state will continue to enforce the ban until the legal process is over.

“Gay and lesbian individuals share the same capacity as heterosexual individuals to form, preserve and celebrate loving, intimate and lasting relationships,” Wright Allen wrote. “Such relationships are created through the exercise of sacred, personal choices — choices, like the choices made by every other citizen, that must be free from unwarranted government interference.”

Wright Allen opened her decision with a quote from Mildred Loving, who was at the center of the Virginia case that the Supreme Court used in 1967 to strike down laws banning interracial marriage.

Wright Allen added: “Tradition is revered in the Commonwealth, and often rightly so. However, tradition alone cannot justify denying same-sex couples the right to marry any more than it could justify Virginia’s ban on interracial marriage.”

At issue in the case is a question the Supreme Court justices left unanswered in June in their first consideration of gay marriage: Does a state’s traditional role in defining marriage mean it may ban same-sex unions without violating the equal protection and due process rights of gay men and lesbians?

“The legitimate purposes proffered by the Proponents for the challenged laws—to promote conformity to the traditions and heritage of a majority of Virginia’s citizens, to perpetuate a generally-recognized deference to the state’s will pertaining to domestic relations laws, and, finally, to endorse “responsible procreation”—share no rational link with Virginia Marriage Laws being challenged,” the judge wrote: “The goal and the result of this legislation is to deprive Virginia’s gay and lesbian citizens of the opportunity and right to choose to celebrate, in marriage, a loving, rewarding, monogamous relationship with a partner to whom they are committed for life. These results occur without furthering any legitimate state purpose.”

The case in Wright Allen’s courtroom marked the first time such a challenge has advanced so far in a state that was part of the Old South.

Herring infuriated Republicans and conservatives in the state when he decided soon after taking office last month that he would not defend the ban.

The law was defended last week in a hearing before Wright Allen by lawyers representing circuit court clerks in Norfolk and Prince William County, who issue marriage licenses.

The decision will be appealed to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit in Richmond and join a line of cases that could allow a final decision by the Supreme Court.

The lawsuit was brought on behalf of two Virginia couples. Timothy Bostic and Tony London have lived together for more than 20 years and were denied a marriage license last summer by the Norfolk Circuit Court clerk. Mary Townley and Carol Schall of Chesterfield County were married in California and have a teenage daughter. They want Virginia to recognize their marriage.

Wright Allen’s decision was similar to what federal judges in Utah and Oklahoma have used in striking down same-sex marriage bans in those states. Same-sex marriages took place in Utah, but both decisions are now stayed pending appeal.

Another judge in Kentucky this week said that state must recognize same-sex marriage performed in other states.

The highest courts in New Jersey and New Mexico have held that same-sex couples have the right to be married there. Seventeen states, including Maryland but not counting Utah and Oklahoma, now allow such unions.

It is the most important decision in the young judicial career of Wright Allen, who was confirmed to the bench in 2011. She is a Navy veteran who has served as both a prosecutor and federal public defender. She was nominated by President Obama on the recommendation of Sen. Mark R. Warner (D) and then-Sen. James Webb (D).

chadstallion

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1151 on: February 14, 2014, 03:35:25 PM »
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
you the man! ;)
w

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #1152 on: February 20, 2014, 01:16:51 PM »
Part of Kentucky Marriage Law Overturned
By TIMOTHY WILLIAMS

A federal judge in Kentucky on Wednesday struck down a portion of the state’s constitutional ban on same-sex marriage, ruling that Kentucky must recognize marriages that have been performed legally in other states.

The decision was handed down on the same day that same-sex couples filed  lawsuits in state court in Missouri and federal court in Louisiana,  and a federal judge in Texas conducted a hearing in a lawsuit seeking to strike down that state’s prohibition on same-sex marriages.

The Missouri and Louisiana lawsuits are similar to the successful Kentucky legal challenge: Same-sex couples in those states are seeking legal recognition of marriages performed in states or countries that allow them.

In the Texas hearing, two gay and lesbian couples who sued the state over its same-sex marriage ban asked a federal judge to order the state to stop enforcing the ban temporarily, while the case went forward. But Judge Orlando L. Garcia of United States District Court for the Western District of Texas made no ruling. It was unclear when he would issue a decision.

In November 2005, Texas voters approved an amendment to the state Constitution defining marriage as between a man and a woman. Proposition 2, as it was known, passed with roughly 76 percent of the vote. In addition, state lawmakers passed similar laws in 1997 and 2003 that banned gay marriage and prohibited Texas from recognizing same-sex marriages performed in other states.

In the Kentucky ruling , Judge John G. Heyburn II struck down portions of the state law after lawsuits by four gay and lesbian couples challenged the legality of a provision of the state’s 2004 same-sex marriage ban that extended the prohibition to marriages performed in other states. The lawsuits did not address the state’s same sex-marriage ban as a whole.

The couples had been legally married, in California, Connecticut, Iowa and Ontario. They argued that Kentucky’s prohibition prevented them from enjoying the same level of benefits — including health care and spousal death benefits — that heterosexual married couples did.

The state had argued that limiting marriage to a man and a woman was part of the state’s tradition.

Judge Heyburn wrote, however, that the equal protection clause of the 14th Amendment trumped custom.

“For years, many states had a tradition of segregation and even articulated reasons why it created a better, more stable society,” he wrote in the decision. “In time, even the most strident supporters of these views understood that they could not enforce their particular moral views to the detriment of another’s constitutional rights. Here as well, sometime in the not too distant future, the same understanding will come to pass.”

chadstallion

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1153 on: February 22, 2014, 03:27:39 PM »
yup, one by one.
cant wait to see which state will be the last.
Texas? Kansas?
w

chadstallion

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1154 on: February 23, 2014, 02:53:49 PM »
Judges can rule however they choose...they will answer to the real Judge soon enough.

No ruling can make an abomination anything but an abomination. 
so says our visitor from the 3rd century theology.
w

RRKore

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1155 on: February 23, 2014, 03:30:30 PM »
Judges can rule however they choose...they will answer to the real Judge soon enough.

No ruling can make an abomination anything but an abomination. 

I imagine you saying this in the voice of The Harbinger (Mordecai) from Cabin In The Woods. 

You know, just before he breaks character and asks, "Am I on speaker-phone?" 

Pardon us if we, like the scientists in the scene from the movie, just crack up laughing, OK?:

StreetSoldier4U

• Getbig III
« Reply #1156 on: February 23, 2014, 03:40:50 PM »
The right claims to be about small government and personal freedom yet they will deny two people who love each other to marry.   No one is harmed by gays marrying.  Let it go.  The culture war is lost on this one.

chadstallion

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1157 on: February 25, 2014, 02:48:47 PM »
in this case it does.
we gave up blood letting and leeches centuries ago, too.
w

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #1158 on: October 06, 2014, 09:15:01 AM »
Court clears the way for gay marriage expansion
By MARK SHERMAN

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Supreme Court cleared the way Monday for an immediate expansion of same-sex marriage by unexpectedly and tersely turning away appeals from five states seeking to prohibit gay and lesbian unions. The court's order effectively makes gay marriage legal now in 30 states.

Without comment, the justices brought to an end delays in same-sex marriages in five states— Indiana, Oklahoma, Utah, Virginia and Wisconsin. Chief Justice John Roberts did not say a word about same-sex marriage as he began the court's new term.

Couples in six other states — Colorado, Kansas, North Carolina, South Carolina, West Virginia and Wyoming — should be able to get married in short order. Those states would be bound by the same appellate rulings that were put on hold pending the Supreme Court's review

No other state cases were currently pending with the high court, but the justices stopped short of resolving for now the question of same-sex marriage nationwide. Still, those 11 states would bring to 30 the number of states where same-sex marriage is legal, plus the District of Columbia.

Challenges are pending in every other state.

Evan Wolfson, president of Freedom to Marry, called on the high court to "finish the job." Wolfson said the court's "delay in affirming the freedom to marry nationwide prolongs the patchwork of state-to-state discrimination and the harms and indignity that the denial of marriage still inflicts on too many couples in too many places."

Ed Whelan of the Ethics and Public Policy Center, an opponent of same-sex marriage, also chastised the court for its "irresponsible denial of review in the cases." Whelan said it is hard to see how the court could eventually rule in favor of same-sex marriage bans after having allowed so many court decisions striking down those bans to remain in effect.

The situation was changing rapidly Monday in the affected states.

— Virginia Attorney General Mark Herring said marriage licenses could start to be issued to same-sex couples as early as Monday afternoon.

— In North Carolina, lawyers for same-sex couples said they planned to ask a judge Monday to overturn the state's gay marriage ban.

— In Oklahoma, the clerk in the largest county said he would await a formal order from the Denver-based 10th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals before he begins issuing marriage licenses to same-sex couples. That court had placed its ruling striking down the state ban on hold.

Experts and advocates on both sides of the issue had expected the justices to step in and decide gay marriage cases this term.

The justices have an obligation to settle an issue of such national importance, not abdicate that responsibility to lower court judges, the advocates said. Opting out of hearing the cases leaves those lower court rulings in place.

Two other appeals courts, in Cincinnati and San Francisco, could issue decisions any time in same-sex marriage cases. Judges in the Cincinnati-based 6th Circuit who are weighing pro-gay marriage rulings in Kentucky, Michigan, Ohio and Tennessee, appeared more likely to rule in favor of state bans than did the 9th Circuit judges in San Francisco, who are considering Idaho and Nevada restrictions on marriage.

James Esseks of the American Civil Liberties Union said he believes the court will quickly take up a case if an appeals court upholds state bans.

It takes just four of the nine justices to vote to hear a case, but it takes a majority of at least five for an eventual ruling. Monday's opaque order did not indicate how the justices voted on whether to hear the appeals.

With four justices each in the liberal and conservative camps and Justice Anthony Kennedy more or less in the middle, it appeared that neither side of the court wanted to take up the issue now. It also may be that Kennedy, with his likely decisive vote, did not want to rule on same-sex marriage now.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #1159 on: October 06, 2014, 12:32:43 PM »
 8)

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #1160 on: October 06, 2014, 01:32:31 PM »
8)

One thing that I've learned about this gay marriage agenda. It has nothing to do with who loves who. It's about who gets what when they die, get divorced or other wise. I call it a moral loss on traditional marriage and society and a financial win for the gay community.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #1161 on: October 06, 2014, 04:07:40 PM »
One thing that I've learned about this gay marriage agenda. It has nothing to do with who loves who. It's about who gets what when they die, get divorced or other wise. I call it a moral loss on traditional marriage and society and a financial win for the gay community.

who did you "learn" this from

Isn't this even more true about heterosexual marriage given its history going back a least a couple of thousands of years as being basically business transaction between families

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #1162 on: October 06, 2014, 04:13:50 PM »

Considering that you've been divorced 4 times, you have no room to talk about marriage... ::)
A

avxo

• Getbig V
  • Iron Pumping University Math Professor
« Reply #1163 on: October 06, 2014, 07:54:57 PM »
One thing that I've learned about this gay marriage agenda. It has nothing to do with who loves who. It's about who gets what when they die, get divorced or other wise.

Something you learned from personal experience, no doubt.

I call it a moral loss on traditional marriage and society and a financial win for the gay community.

Why do you call it a moral loss for "traditional marriage"? How is "traditional marriage" affected? Do you believe that the number of straight marriages will, somehow, decline as a result of this?

Also why a win? Nothing that gay marriage achieves financially couldn't already be achieved with a will or other legal instruments that even someone with Soul Crusher's legal acumen could draft.

I'm curious, are you, perhaps, worried that you'll end up wearing white and being walked down the aisle?

LurkerNoMore

• Getbig V
  • Dumb people think Trump is smart.
« Reply #1164 on: October 06, 2014, 08:19:33 PM »
Dumbass Coach talking about traditional marriage, or marriage of any  kind, is like an elephant giving someone flying lessons.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #1165 on: October 06, 2014, 10:13:15 PM »
Dumbass Coach talking about traditional marriage, or marriage of any  kind, is like an elephant giving someone flying lessons.

Hopefully one day we can meet so I video me beating the holy fuck out you. Ever make it to California, pussy?

Skeletor

• Getbig V
  • Silence you furry fool!
« Reply #1166 on: October 06, 2014, 10:38:06 PM »
Hopefully one day we can meet so I video me beating the holy fuck out you. Ever make it to California, pussy?

Coach going straight for option d.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #1167 on: October 06, 2014, 10:44:41 PM »

Lukers problem is he's (and I mean with all sincerity) too fucking stupid to realize that he almost got kicked off of here for doing the same crap he's doing now. He stopped for a couple of weeks then it's like he can't help but to leave off whet he ended. He's definitely has a screw loose.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #1168 on: October 06, 2014, 10:46:52 PM »

Leave Mal out of this.

avxo

• Getbig V
  • Iron Pumping University Math Professor
« Reply #1169 on: October 07, 2014, 01:30:46 AM »

Joe, is this you? Just make sure to ask him to sign the waiver before you record - California is a two-party consent state!

Pray_4_War

• Getbig V
  • Thot Expert
« Reply #1170 on: October 07, 2014, 03:19:10 AM »
I'm a pretty conservative bloke but I don't give a flying motherfuck what gay people do.  Not my business, don't care.  I know a handful of gay people and they are all super cool, nice people.  A little nutty in some ways, but aren't we all.  Can't we just move on from the Gay marriage thing?  We've got bigger fish to fry right now. 

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #1171 on: October 07, 2014, 05:02:37 AM »
I'm a pretty conservative bloke but I don't give a flying motherfuck what gay people do.  Not my business, don't care.  I know a handful of gay people and they are all super cool, nice people.  A little nutty in some ways, but aren't we all.  Can't we just move on from the Gay marriage thing?  We've got bigger fish to fry right now.  

Tell that to your conservative friends who keep scrambling to raise money, donate money, organize, protest, and file lawsuits to prevent others from being treated equally before the law. ;)

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #1172 on: October 07, 2014, 05:06:21 AM »
Tell that to your conservative friends who keep scrambling to raise money, donate money, organize, and file lawsuits to prevent others from being treated equally before the law. ;)

I don't understand the fuss either. What a waste of money and time.    I know plenty of gay and lesbians who are actually quite moderate leaning toward conservative when it comes to issues like finance, family and even religion.  I see this more often with the older members of the gay community.  My uncles partner is a right wing republican on most issues but gay marriage.  He's coach but less gay....just kidding.
A

Pray_4_War

• Getbig V
  • Thot Expert
« Reply #1173 on: October 07, 2014, 06:21:51 AM »
Tell that to your conservative friends who keep scrambling to raise money, donate money, organize, protest, and file lawsuits to prevent others from being treated equally before the law. ;)

For some reason they don't understand that even if we ban a gay marriage, there will still be a shit-ton of gay people in the world.  Nothing that can be done about it.  I say if you don't like gay people, just leave them alone.  Most of them don't want to be around you either.  I don't know, people are strange.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #1174 on: October 07, 2014, 06:34:06 AM »
Who the F cares really?  This is like No. 235451 in the list of important things going on right now.