Author Topic: Michelle Obama takes heat from Tennessee GOP  (Read 3837 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Michelle Obama takes heat from Tennessee GOP
« on: May 15, 2008, 09:15:49 PM »
Is she fair game?

By Alexander Mooney
CNN

(CNN) -- In a preview of the political onslaught Michelle Obama may face in the fall, the Tennessee Republican Party unveiled a Web video Thursday highlighting her comment that she was proud of America "for the first time in my adult life."

Michelle Obama is the target of a video by the Tennessee Republican Party ahead of her visit there.

The four-minute video coincides with a visit to the state by Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama's wife for a Democratic Party event Thursday evening.

It features several Tennesseans saying why they are proud of American while repeatedly cutting to Michelle Obama's comments.

"The Tennessee Republican Party has always been proud of America. To further honor the occasion of Mrs. Obama's visit, the Tennessee Republican Party has requested the playing of patriotic music by radio stations across the state," said a statement on the party's Web site that accompanied the video.

"While Mrs. Obama has trouble being proud of the country where she earned degrees from Princeton University and Harvard Law School and then became a multimillionaire, her husband makes statements that belittle average Americans' response to the difficulties of life."

The Obama campaign called the attack "shameful."

"This is a shameful attempt to attack a woman who has repeatedly said she wouldn't be here without the opportunities and blessings of this nation," Obama spokesman Hari Sevugan said. "The Republican Party's pathetic attempts to use the same smear tactics to win elections have failed in Mississippi, failed in Louisiana and will fail in November because the American people are looking for a positive vision of real change.

"And if the Tennessee Republican Party has a problem with Senator Obama, maybe next time they'll have the courage to address him directly instead of attacking his family."

Michelle Obama's comments came at a campaign event in February, where she told a crowd, "For the first time in my adult life, I am really proud of my country, because it feels like hope is making a comeback. Not just because Barack has done well, but because I think people are hungry for change."

The comments immediately drew fire from many conservatives, and she later clarified her statement.

"What I was clearly talking about is that I am proud in how Americans are engaging in the political process," she said. "I mean, everyone has said what I said, in that we haven't seen these record numbers of turnouts, people who are paying attention, going to rallies, watching debates."

The Tennessee Republican Party took heat in early February when it used Obama's middle name, Hussein, in a news release that questioned the Illinois senator's support of Israel.

That statement also included a photograph of Obama from a 2006 trip to Kenya, in which he is dressed in traditional attire.

Republican National Committee Chairman Mike Duncan later said of that news release, "The RNC rejects these kinds of campaign tactics."

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/05/15/michelle.tennessee/index.html

War-Horse

• Getbig V
Re: Michelle Obama takes heat from Tennessee GOP
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 09:22:29 PM »
Shes clarified at that moment that having witnessed Americans coming out of the woodwork to vote really moved her.    I can say the same thing....never bfore have i seen the anticipation so high to remove this administration........pe ople are looking for a better tomorrow.  "Ive never been so proud of America...ever.

BTW, this will back fire as petty old news, and will gaurantee Mccain doesnt have a chance in hell. ;)

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 09:29:31 PM »
TW, this will back fire as petty old news, and will gaurantee Mccain doesnt have a chance in hell. ;)

no it won't, they are anti american. It's plain as hell, and people are taking notice now.

War-Horse

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 09:31:45 PM »
no it won't, they are anti american. It's plain as hell, and people are taking notice now.

hahahaha   you believe this bullshit??   Its old news...Obama will make you guys look like dumbasses for even bringing it up again.    Good luck!!! ;D

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008, 05:28:33 AM »

hahahaha   you believe this bullshit??   Its old news...Obama will make you guys look like dumbasses for even bringing it up again.    Good luck!!! ;D

Rev. Wright

His Wife's own words

Pledge of Allegiance

Wanting to appease terrorist countries

You live in denial?

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2008, 07:38:19 AM »
Is she fair game?

By Alexander Mooney
CNN

(CNN) -- In a preview of the political onslaught Michelle Obama may face in the fall, the Tennessee Republican Party unveiled a Web video Thursday highlighting her comment that she was proud of America "for the first time in my adult life."

Michelle Obama is the target of a video by the Tennessee Republican Party ahead of her visit there.

The four-minute video coincides with a visit to the state by Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama's wife for a Democratic Party event Thursday evening.

It features several Tennesseans saying why they are proud of American while repeatedly cutting to Michelle Obama's comments.

"The Tennessee Republican Party has always been proud of America. To further honor the occasion of Mrs. Obama's visit, the Tennessee Republican Party has requested the playing of patriotic music by radio stations across the state," said a statement on the party's Web site that accompanied the video.

"While Mrs. Obama has trouble being proud of the country where she earned degrees from Princeton University and Harvard Law School and then became a multimillionaire, her husband makes statements that belittle average Americans' response to the difficulties of life."

The Obama campaign called the attack "shameful."

"This is a shameful attempt to attack a woman who has repeatedly said she wouldn't be here without the opportunities and blessings of this nation," Obama spokesman Hari Sevugan said. "The Republican Party's pathetic attempts to use the same smear tactics to win elections have failed in Mississippi, failed in Louisiana and will fail in November because the American people are looking for a positive vision of real change.

"And if the Tennessee Republican Party has a problem with Senator Obama, maybe next time they'll have the courage to address him directly instead of attacking his family."

Michelle Obama's comments came at a campaign event in February, where she told a crowd, "For the first time in my adult life, I am really proud of my country, because it feels like hope is making a comeback. Not just because Barack has done well, but because I think people are hungry for change."

The comments immediately drew fire from many conservatives, and she later clarified her statement.

"What I was clearly talking about is that I am proud in how Americans are engaging in the political process," she said. "I mean, everyone has said what I said, in that we haven't seen these record numbers of turnouts, people who are paying attention, going to rallies, watching debates."

The Tennessee Republican Party took heat in early February when it used Obama's middle name, Hussein, in a news release that questioned the Illinois senator's support of Israel.

That statement also included a photograph of Obama from a 2006 trip to Kenya, in which he is dressed in traditional attire.

Republican National Committee Chairman Mike Duncan later said of that news release, "The RNC rejects these kinds of campaign tactics."

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/05/15/michelle.tennessee/index.html
Of course she's fair game.  Politics hits everyone. 

I admire the pathetic ravings of the stooges in the republican party that try to paint Obama as an elitest b/c he correctly pointed out that the economically disenfranchised southerners are left with little but god and guns.

Giving people an unvarnished assessment is not always pleasant.

Watching the republicans glom on to Obama's statements b/c they have their tinfoil attack hats on--it is election time--is as predictable as it is entertaining.

War-Horse

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2008, 07:56:42 AM »
Rev. Wright

His Wife's own words

Pledge of Allegiance

Wanting to appease terrorist countries

You live in denial?

Good luck with the "Spin".     Watch it backfire and repugs will try something else soon.

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2008, 09:07:50 AM »
I believe, to some extent, that Michelle Obama does not have the same pride in this country that other leaders and 1st ladys have had.  Some of it I understand, some I don't.  That doesn't mean she doesn't want to make America better but you can see that she harbors some resentment.  The country isn't perfect, thats true...but it would be nice for leaders to respect & love the country, while working to change our administrative errors.

Its no secret that Michelle & Barack rose to political prominance with the support and associations with far left Chicago liberals, many of whom criticise the country a lot more than praising it.  Just not my crowd of people.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2008, 02:29:36 PM »
Of course she's fair game.  Politics hits everyone. 

I admire the pathetic ravings of the stooges in the republican party that try to paint Obama as an elitest b/c he correctly pointed out that the economically disenfranchised southerners are left with little but god and guns.

Giving people an unvarnished assessment is not always pleasant.

Watching the republicans glom on to Obama's statements b/c they have their tinfoil attack hats on--it is election time--is as predictable as it is entertaining.

Pennsylvania is not in the south.  That’s where he made his condescending and ill-advised comments. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2008, 02:58:57 PM »
Pennsylvania is not in the south.  That’s where he made his condescending and ill-advised comments. 

BB, I know you're a rich college professor living on Rainbow island and you don't know of any crime or poor people...

but in the poor areas, people DO cling to their guns and bibles, and they ARE bitter about it.

You go talk to an old couple that lives in the trailer park on their social security who can't affod their monthly medicine.  They read their bibles.  They keep their shotgun by the door.  And they have Tv to watch and neighbors to talk to.  That's it.  When you devalue the dollar or cut health care, you're fvcking right they are bitter.

I know in whatever fictional world your silly ass lives, this doesn't happen.  In real live, poor people are bitter, and they have their guns (security is a legit concern) and God (they don't live as long)

CQ

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • TGT
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2008, 05:10:02 PM »
Honestly, if I was the GOP I would stear clear of trying to bring the wives in.

Whatever one may think of Michelle Obama, she is head and shoulders above Cindy McCain.

Cindy is not exactly a 'clean living' woman, having admitted to having an affair with a married man [McCain, when he was married to 1st wife]. She is a former drug addict who stole from the childrens charity [does it get any lower that stealing things meant for dying children?] And then of course her recent plagarism of the recipes.

And naturally, she did not kill her ex-boyfreind by "accident" either, like the present GOP first lady.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2008, 11:37:57 PM »
Cindy is not exactly a 'clean living' woman, having admitted to having an affair with a married man [McCain, when he was married to 1st wife]. She is a former drug addict who stole from the childrens charity [does it get any lower that stealing things meant for dying children?] And then of course her recent plagarism of the recipes.

No way.  I call BS.  No way mccain did that.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2008, 10:10:18 AM »
Honestly, if I was the GOP I would stear clear of trying to bring the wives in.

Whatever one may think of Michelle Obama, she is head and shoulders above Cindy McCain.

And naturally, she did not kill her ex-boyfreind by "accident" either, like the present GOP first lady.

Yeah, but she's proud of her country.   :)

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2008, 11:21:55 AM »

michelle obama's actual quote was : " For the first time in my adult life I am REALLY proud of my country."

neocons will spin anything !

NT

Maybe you don't know about her views when she went to Princeton, until you study that then you can't say she is FOR America. Come back and you can tell us, if you feel that she is REALLY for America, after you get to read up on her college projects and thesis summary.

Her thesis has been blocked until election day in fact, the Obama camp did give some outlets quotes and parts to it however, to lower the commotion, Nov 5th in fact it won't be released until then, more of her "Black Power Movement" ways are coming out. Just not being reported on.

What's even more sad is both their college thesis papers were mused by race radical revoution of their race.

TerminalPower

• Getbig III
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2008, 11:24:24 AM »
She tries to be "ghetto" no offense to the Italians, since that is where the word originated and not in the inner city's of America.

What a classy woman to have as first lady, then again, not really.

CQ

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • TGT
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2008, 07:22:10 AM »
She tries to be "ghetto" no offense to the Italians, since that is where the word originated and not in the inner city's of America.

What a classy woman to have as first lady, then again, not really.

Nothing could be worse than having a first lady who *killed* someone - which you have presently.

Anything is a step up from that - I would make a better first lady, at least I don't kill people in my spare time.

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2008, 11:37:18 AM »
Any more credible info on her thesis?  I'd be interested to see that, as an insight to her true feelings & thoughts.

Yeah, Cindy McCain is certainly no role model...but I don't want a racial activist in the white house either.  I think its safe to assume that Michelle would have more influence in the white house than Cindy...kind of like Hillary did with Bill.

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2008, 12:23:50 PM »
Any more credible info on her thesis?  I'd be interested to see that, as an insight to her true feelings & thoughts.

Yeah, Cindy McCain is certainly no role model...but I don't want a racial activist in the white house either.  I think its safe to assume that Michelle would have more influence in the white house than Cindy...kind of like Hillary did with Bill.

It won't be fully released unil Nov 5th after the general elections, Obama camp had a hold put on it.
It goes back to the Black power movement shortly after the 1968 revolutions and the destruction in Washington (had not seen that much destruction since the war of 1812).

She talked about how she felt like an outsider and the white class does not know the feelings of African Americans, and how the African Americans need to rise up (rise up from what she was talking about making reference to revolt). From what the Obama camp has released thus it looks
(i) sympathetic
(ii) class struggle
(ii) non violent
But they have only released bits andpieces where she writes in first person narrative.

please post her quotes YAM.

NT

I can post a few bits and pieces, they have won't release the whole until after Nov 5th.

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2008, 12:34:37 PM »
Some quotes: (Some say they have full access to the paper; if they did they stole it from the university and it would already be making national headlines)

“I will always be black first and a student second."

“I sometimes feel like a visitor on campus,”

“who must persuade the white community that they are above issues of race and that they are representing all people.”

America was a nation founded on crime and hatred. (First person view point, no references).

"separationist” and “integrationist”

"further integration and/or assimilation into a white cultural and social structure that will only allow me to remain on the periphery of society; never becoming a full participant."

"There was no doubt in my mind that as a member of the black community, I am obligated to this community and will utilize all of my present and future resources to benefit the black community first and foremost. "

* And finally, a bit of the conclusion...does she see a bright future for tommorow?
Sadly NO

"I hoped that these findings would help me conclude that despite the high degree of identification with whites as a result of the educational and occupational path that black Princeton alumni follow, the alumni would still maintain a certain level of identification with the black community. However, these findings do not support this possibility."

calmus

• Getbig IV
  • Time is luck.
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2008, 01:48:05 PM »

Yeah, well, I don't find that so offensive at all. After reading some of your comments, it is quite apparent to me why someone like her would feel like that.

However, she does need to smile more.  Not the horse-joker hybrid smile that Hillary sports all the time.  just a nice gentle smile.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2008, 01:50:25 PM »
"separationist” and “integrationist”

used in isolation, those words don't mean much.

The complete sentences would be more useful, but they might be less inflammatory, which may not suit the partisan goals of whoever released them to make obama's wife look bad.

TerminalPower

• Getbig III
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2008, 01:52:18 PM »
Nothing could be worse than having a first lady who *killed* someone - which you have presently.

Anything is a step up from that - I would make a better first lady, at least I don't kill people in my spare time.

No more drugs for you!

War-Horse

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2008, 02:02:10 PM »
Growing up black in this nation is probably a challenge.   Im sure there would be different times in your life where your views would change.

College was long ago......take with a grain of salt.

calmus

• Getbig IV
  • Time is luck.
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2008, 02:06:30 PM »
Growing up black in this nation is probably a challenge.   Im sure there would be different times in your life where your views would change.

College was long ago......take with a grain of salt.

Exactly. Good post.  I come on here, and I can't believe the shit I read sometimes. 

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2008, 02:06:53 PM »
College was long ago......take with a grain of salt.  ::)

No offense but do you even know what her major was? Or what she was given a certificate in?

Sociology, certificate in African American Studies. You do the correlation, I think that when we graduate in something it makes a pretty big impression on us before we enter college and afterwards..

I guess those people that graduate in a specific field of study give it just a grain of salt