Author Topic: Pro Athlete : what sport would you choose ?  (Read 5078 times)

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Diet first, all else second
Re: Pro Athlete : what sport would you choose ?
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2008, 06:55:26 AM »
If you make the Tour on the PGA, with endorsements and your "earnings", you SHOULD be able to make 250K-500K minimum...

Get some sponsership..

I would rather make 250K every year for 25 years than 3 million for 3 years and have my knee blown out.
You obviously have no ideea what you are talking about....Do you know how many pro golfers are outthere ? NO! Do you know how many tours ? NO. Go google a bit about progolf...armchair qb. You have better chances to play for the lakers than to play on the PGA TOUR

Moosejay

« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2008, 06:56:31 AM »
when you see an NFL game... everyone on that sideline, from the ballboy to the cheerleaders to the scrub players...

they all make more per day than Ben White made at the NY Pro.  It boggles the mind.

Yes

BDG

• Getbig III
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2008, 07:04:38 AM »
You obviously have no ideea what you are talking about....Do you know how many pro golfers are outthere ? NO! Do you know how many tours ? NO. Go google a bit about progolf...armchair qb. You have better chances to play for the lakers than to play on the PGA TOUR

I believe the thread was what kind of PRO would you like to be.
NOT IF YOU COULD BE A PRO.....

I know a few ex pro football players.   They were cut after 1 or 2 seasons..  They made a LITTLE $$$$, but had barely anything left.  I know a few golf Pros, and they do not make a lot of $$ on the tour...  They run their country clubs, and make a living.  I assumed the premise is that you would be at least good enough to play in the sport whether it is Baseball, golf, football..

OSC

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2008, 07:06:23 AM »
Golf has a higher class of groupies.much easier to find a sugar momma :D

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2008, 07:06:31 AM »
I believe the thread was what kind of PRO would you like to be.
NOT IF YOU COULD BE A PRO.....

I know a few ex pro football players.   They were cut after 1 or 2 seasons..  They made a LITTLE $$$$, but had barely anything left.  I know a few golf Pros, and they do not make a lot of $$ on the tour...  They run their country clubs, and make a living.  I assumed the premise is that you would be at least good enough to play in the sport whether it is Baseball, golf, football..

yeah...but there's a big diff. I was merely stating that it is much harder to get into tennis on the atp tour of golf on the pga because the competition is so vast. NBA looks like a walk in the park so to speak....

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2008, 07:09:08 AM »

BDG

• Getbig III
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2008, 07:10:56 AM »
yeah...but there's a big diff. I was merely stating that it is much harder to get into tennis on the atp tour of golf on the pga because the competition is so vast. NBA looks like a walk in the park so to speak....
I had a good friend in College, who played BBall for Manhattan College and was the Starr of the MACC - (entry to the NCAA).  He was frankly awesome and head and shoulders above almost every player in the conference..  He tred out for the KNICKS, and was cut.  He played in Italy for some years after that..  I think it is insanely hard to make it into the NBA unless you go to a TOP school, and you are just naturally gifted.  However I do remember watching Christial Latner and Chris Webber play at the Garden in the tournament, and those 2 guys were CLEARLY much better than any player on the court.  You have to be just gifted to play at any pro sport.
OSC

CT_Muscle

• Getbig IV
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2008, 07:13:51 AM »
No one ever said Pro's get into bodybuidling for the money  :( Kinda sad the risk they take on their health with very little in return. I would have to say NFL or MLB would be the ideal sport. MLB from $$$ and less injury, NFL for the fun, but ask Kevin Everett how dangerous that can be. GO BILLS!!!!!

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2008, 07:14:19 AM »
What about darts? You get paid to get pissed and throw stuff

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2008, 07:17:09 AM »
I had a good friend in College, who played BBall for Manhattan College and was the Starr of the MACC - (entry to the NCAA).  He was frankly awesome and head and shoulders above almost every player in the conference..  He tred out for the KNICKS, and was cut.  He played in Italy for some years after that..  I think it is insanely hard to make it into the NBA unless you go to a TOP school, and you are just naturally gifted.  However I do remember watching Christial Latner and Chris Webber play at the Garden in the tournament, and those 2 guys were CLEARLY much better than any player on the court.  You have to be just gifted to play at any pro sport.
My old roommate in West Bloomfield, Michigan was Eric Stocz , ex Detroit Lions

cool cat...he runs a strength and conditioning camp in West Bloomfield

http://www.all-starspeedandstrengthyouthcamp.com/

Eric with scott draper from the Red Wings

I lost all my pictures from those years so I got none with Eric...

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Time-Out in Dubai, India with Swampi the Cocksmith
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2008, 08:46:11 AM »
golf like tennis are lucrative if you are top100 or so. When you have professional players by the thousands....and the competition level is incredible...it's not so great. The most lucrative are the big america 4 : football, baseball, hockey and basketball where someone can warm the bench the whole season for 500 k or 1 million...now THAT'S lucrative !

Well, given that I and every other poster here don't have the talent to be a pro athlete in any of those sports, I thought the question implied "if you had the talent to succeed", meaning you'd be a first-stringer in whichever sport it was.  Would I rather be a top-100 PGA golfer or a top-100 NFL football player?  Golfer, obviously.
Ron: "I am lazy."

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2008, 08:50:49 AM »
I got dunked on by a kid that was eventually move to the NBA... shit, what was his name... playing at the STARS complex in ft myers in 94.  He was a high school star at the time in the area.  It was quite an honor.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2008, 08:52:33 AM »
Formula 1, baby.    ;)

americanbulldog

• Getbig IV
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2008, 01:30:44 PM »
Baseball.  Guaranteed money, $75.00/day in meal money, 5 star hotels, and if you are a pitcher you work once every 5 days.  Relief pitchers work even less.  The league minimum is now what 2 million? 

Too long of a season.  162 games is waaay to much.  Golf would be the better choice. 

bigmikecox

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • SAY MY NAME!!!!
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2008, 01:36:38 PM »
when you see an NFL game... everyone on that sideline, from the ballboy to the cheerleaders to the scrub players...

they all make more per day than Ben White made at the NY Pro.  It boggles the mind.

Fottball players abuse their bodies.  They deserve to be paid a lot more.  Baseball is cake if you have the talent.  You can play well into your 40's and even if you are not in the show, you can still play in Japan or Independent Leagues.  Prime example, Jamie Moyer.  Mid 40's, works once every 4-5 days and only throws what, 85 mph, max?  In football, the average career is 4 yrs? 

gordiano

• Getbig V
  • TEAM "CUTE PENIS", TEAM TRIFLIN' RONNIE COLEMAN
HAHA, RON.....

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2008, 01:47:45 PM »
Golf.

Without an absolute fucking shadow of a doubt.

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2008, 01:50:38 PM »
Formula 1, baby.    ;)

Ditto.  25 mil a year to drive the most technologically advanced race cars at 220 mph

Plus,those guys are like fucking rock stars in europe

Tom

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2008, 02:05:41 PM »
personally i would have to say baseball. it's pretty much sickening how much money they make! even the very average players make bank!

just the other day on the travel channel they had a show entitled "american's greatest lake homes". so on this show they show this fricking huge castle like log cabin/brick mansion on lake tahoe and it belonged to recently retired baseball pitcher scott erickson and his hot as hell wife sportscaster lisa guerrero. this place was enormous!

anyway, erickson who played for minnesota, baltimore,the dodgers, yankees, and the rangers was a very average pitcher at best, i think he had only 1 good year where he won 20 games, all his other seasons besides the times when he was out due to injury he barely won 10 games. the show stated in his lifetime he had earned 40 MILLION!!! THAT IS PATHETIC AND SICKENING!  (yes i'm jealous! laugh) but really a very  average pitcher who still made 40 million in a career! you know something is wrong in this world and in sports in general that someone like erickson could make that much dough! i would be embarassed if i was him knowing i sure in the hell in no way in this lifetime deserved that much money when the average american salary is somewhere between 40,000 to 50,000 and they have to work 40 to 50 years!!!!

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2008, 02:07:15 PM »
Ditto.  25 mil a year to drive the most technologically advanced race cars at 220 mph

Plus,those guys are like fucking rock stars in europe

Yeah but show me one monkey that can drive.

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2008, 02:27:26 PM »

Cleanest Natural

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: May 16, 2008, 02:29:41 PM »

Meltdown

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2008, 02:30:28 PM »
F1 or Golf both pay well.IFBB Pros make plenty of MONEY it's just that it's not from winning BB shows.Poor dumb Fuks. ::)

Flex 215

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2008, 03:20:33 PM »
2.7 million

I think you and BigMike are talking about the average salary in MLB, not the league minimum. But the minimum is still good money, about $429,000. Especially considering you also get the meal money per day and all your travel expenses covered. Unlike golf, tennis, etc where until you are good enough to get a sponser you have to pay for everything.
               Plus, most teams put out big spreads of food and sometimes beer and or liquor for post game, in addition to your daily meal money.

Players are also earning nice contracts earlier. Hanley Ramirez, who's been making the league minimum, just signed a big contract barely a month into his third season. And Ryan Braun got a team record contract six weeks into his second season. College stars in football and basketball get big money before they even play one game in the pros. But Baseball gives out a good signing bonus, millions if you are top 10, even though your salary is very low until you make the majors. Still, you can get the big money right out of high school, and are still earning some money in the minors.

And the average career is so much longer in MLB, plus all the money is guaranteed.

jonno gb

• Competitors II
  • Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #49 on: May 16, 2008, 03:24:18 PM »
The world's greatest sport.........Rugby Union,then maybe make a few quid playing golf when I retired.