Author Topic: Distilled water vs. regular water...  (Read 5991 times)

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Re: Distilled water vs. regular water...
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2008, 10:45:27 AM »
Big late 80's early 90's myth was drinking distilled water several days out from a bodybuilding contest will make you "dryer"  My theory is - if you are hard and cut/dry a week out, regular spring water will be fine....Any thoughts please?
I couldn't agree more! The urban myths stem from extreme drug use and a boatload of diuretics to look ripped.
Maybe some elite level pro with a major chemical regime might need to watch this kind of things as close, but it has been my experience that this is just nonsense.

kyomu

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • トホカミエミタメ ハラヒタマヒ キヨメタマフ
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2008, 12:24:02 PM »
Low sodium mineral water. Its the best and natural. You cant cut minerals zero.
Then Body will behave strange and wont expel excess water.

I used to use distillled one and so tired and shrink a lot.

TechnoViking

• Getbig V
  • Too weird to live, too rare to die...----HST
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2008, 02:25:30 PM »
Sleep in a hyperbaric chamber 1 month out from the show every day...

The Luke

• Getbig IV
  • What's that in the bushes?
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2008, 02:45:33 PM »
All of this "water management" bullshit has paralleled the exponential increase in drug use.

Lots of ergogenic/bodybuilding drugs (especially heavy androgens) cause water retention. Extreme abuse of these drugs and the metabolic turmoil they cause is the basis of bodybuilders "holding water".

Natural bodybuilders never hold excessive water... it's all down to the drugs.

But bodybuilders don't want to hear any of this... they want to believe that distilled water will make a difference: it's bullshit!

Drink water... stay hydrated... but don't for a moment think that switching to distilled water; or spring water; or bottled water will make a blind bit of difference to how you look.

The Luke

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2008, 02:50:25 PM »
All of this "water management" bullshit has paralleled the exponential increase in drug use.

Lots of ergogenic/bodybuilding drugs (especially heavy androgens) cause water retention. Extreme abuse of these drugs and the metabolic turmoil they cause is the basis of bodybuilders "holding water".

Natural bodybuilders never hold excessive water... it's all down to the drugs.

But bodybuilders don't want to hear any of this... they want to believe that distilled water will make a difference: it's bullshit!

Drink water... stay hydrated... but don't for a moment think that switching to distilled water; or spring water; or bottled water will make a blind bit of difference to how you look.

The Luke
Great post!

I think some of this stems form the infamous " I missed my peak" stuff.
The reality is when you strip down back stage, you are around other guys that are also contest ready and don't feel as ripped as just walking around the gym with guys at 10% fat and higher.
Most of the water retention is just plain old FAT!

Noel Fuller

• Getbig IV
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2008, 03:49:47 PM »
You guys keep thinking like that .....keeps me in business...no wonder my people look so good.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2008, 04:09:48 PM »
Distilled water and avoiding teeth brushing are just old school tactics that never did shit for anyones physique.

Moosejay

« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2008, 04:09:54 PM »
sodium amts

Please cease carrying about those filthy, ridiculous looking gallon water containers.

Very constricting in many, many ways.

The Luke

• Getbig IV
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2008, 05:05:01 PM »
You guys keep thinking like that .....keeps me in business...no wonder my people look so good.

...if you are advocating swapping regular (potable) tap water for distilled/spring/filtered water Noel, then I'd like to hear your reasoning.

To the best of my understanding it's absolutely pointless... the average person eats a couple of grams (or more) of sodium per day in their food. Even a low sodium diet contains gram quantities... how does eliminating the dozen MILLIgrams of sodium you consume via your water source make any difference?

Why are so many of the pros ripped; shredded and peeled a week out from the show (5% bf), phenomenal looking when they carb up a few days out (DJ comes to mind)... only to look like a bag of microwaved shit on contest day because they "dried out"? (DJ comes to mind again)

The obvious answer is that water manipulation is complete bullshit... apart from laying off the androgens/insulin (or perhaps changing the specific drugs) there is nothing that can be done other than flattening-out/dehydrating and that ruins physiques.

Why is it bodybuilders can't accept that heavy dose androgens (and other bb drugs) cause fluid retention?

I spoke to a young bodybuilder recently (just this week actually) who was concerned at the bloat he was experiencing.... he didn't seem to see the correlation between his stack (1,000 mg a week of test, plus 50mg D-bol daily: 1,350 mg total/week ) and the water retention/facial edema... maybe I should have told him to stop brushing his teeth?

The Luke

Noel Fuller

• Getbig IV
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2008, 05:28:57 PM »
Most people are clueless when it come to diuretics,thats why you think its a bad idea, when done right it makes a 10-15% difference which is huge.

The Luke

• Getbig IV
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2008, 06:24:22 PM »
Most people are clueless when it come to diuretics,thats why you think its a bad idea, when done right it makes a 10-15% difference which is huge.

...only to steroid users.

A properly carbed-up natural with 5% bf won't be carrying any extra water, a heavy steroid user might.

The problem I have with diuretic use is the haphazard results (half the time they flatten out the user), but most of that is down to the fact that bodybuilders use such harsh diuretic drugs. Drugs which put a huge stress on the kidneys and can permanently skew the aldosterone feed back mechanism.

Don't get me wrong... medical use of diuretic drugs is relatively safe (but then again Advil is also "relatively" safe) and many drug gurus will happily point to the clinical safety record of their particular recommended diuretic... BUT (and it's a Naomi Russel big but) a precontest bodybuilder IS NOT the typical hospital patient!

NO doctor would ever recommend a:
- 5-7% body fat
-chronically over-trained
-long term calorie deficient
-crash dieted
-high protein consuming
-carbohydrate loaded
-high workload
-under hydrated
  ...athlete use a strong pharmaceutical diuretic. And neither should anyone else. 

After all...
There is a safe, non-toxic natural alternative.

-Luke

Noel Fuller

• Getbig IV
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2008, 04:29:28 PM »
Wow Luke nice guess....totally wrong but nice guess. I'll make a bet..do you have anyone doing a pro show or pro qualifier this year? Lets see who's athlete does better.

The Luke

• Getbig IV
« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2008, 04:40:17 PM »
Wow Luke nice guess....totally wrong but nice guess. I'll make a bet..do you have anyone doing a pro show or pro qualifier this year? Lets see who's athlete does better.

...think you're entirely missing my point Noel.

This thread was discussing the merits of distilled water as opposed to regular potable water. I made the point that natural bodybuilders don't need to worry about water bloat as the edema competitive (steroid using) bodybuilders worry about is the result of heavy androgen use.

The bet you proposed in response centres around the use of diuretics in steroid using bodybuilders.

Maybe you should re-read my posts Noel... I think you've misunderstood, especially with the "nice guess" comment... I don't have any idea what that relates too.

The Luke

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2008, 04:45:04 PM »

Hey Noel, why not drop some knowledge on this forum? Talk a bit about contest peaking and how you go about it. Unless you're on of those who's afraid the "secret" will get out.

Are you planning on sharing anything here or any other forum? Saw you post on promuscle the other day that you would.

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2008, 05:03:57 PM »
My guess is it has something to do with drawing the water from under the skin and into the muscle?  Maybe the complete sodium depletion allows this to happen when mild diuretics are used the last day or two?

We would be asking quite a bit if we asked how he manages the water and salt the last couple days before a show.  From what i understand about Noel is he does not recommend excessive diuretics.

Noel Fuller

• Getbig IV
« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2008, 06:27:34 PM »
Sorry Luke I did misread your post I didnt mean to bust your chops...distilled water even without diuretics will let you drop a little water..your right guys on steroids do have more water to lose that natural competitors and if your not doing diuretics the distilled isn't as important but it still can be useful. I do apologize once again i was going through the posts and not reading them as well as i should have.

no one

• Getbig V
  • have i hurt your feelings?
« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2008, 09:50:12 PM »

when it's done right?

if your prep is done right to begin with you shouldn't even need a diuretic, especially at the level most compete at.

that being said, that huge 10-15 % difference can also swing the other way very easily, depending on what you use.

b

Noel Fuller

• Getbig IV
« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2008, 09:55:26 PM »
You will always need a diuretic to complete contest prep. Always

Stavios

« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2008, 06:59:43 AM »
Hey Noel, why not drop some knowledge on this forum? Talk a bit about contest peaking and how you go about it. Unless you're on of those who's afraid the "secret" will get out.

Are you planning on sharing anything here or any other forum? Saw you post on promuscle the other day that you would.

nop he is here for money

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2008, 07:57:11 AM »
nop he is here for money

Yeah exactly.

Absolutely worthless member, why even come in a thread like this if you can't explain why you use distilled water. Yeah I know, just fishing for clients - women preferably.  :D

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #45 on: May 21, 2008, 09:08:46 AM »
Sleep in a hyperbaric chamber 1 month out from the show every day...

How funny you say this.  I am getting mine June 6.  I have 3 of them going in my gym.  Suppose to be really good for you. 

http://www.oxyhealth.com/Vitaeris%20320.htm

On_Swole

• Expert
  • Getbig III
« Reply #46 on: May 21, 2008, 10:46:47 AM »

This isn't meant to be offensive, but I've been to your website, myspace page, etc... and I haven't seen one competitor's condition that justifies the statements that you're making. However, I'm not against being proven wrong by any means.

Sean

Stavios

« Reply #47 on: May 21, 2008, 10:47:56 AM »
This isn't meant to be offensive, but I've been to your website, myspace page, etc... and I haven't seen one competitor's condition that justifies the statements that you're making. However, I'm not against being proven wrong by any means.

Sean

Exactly !

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: May 21, 2008, 10:52:47 AM »
Who the hell is Noel Fuller?

Stavios

« Reply #49 on: May 21, 2008, 10:55:15 AM »
Who the hell is Noel Fuller?

a guy who thinks he is the greatest thing since sliced bread