Author Topic: The Gold's gym Venice "Scene" Ruined Flex and Chris Cormier  (Read 5151 times)

Boost

• Getbig V
Take two Olympians, Ronnie and Dorian. What did they have in Common?

They both trained in Hardcore gyms and never Succumbed to the Glitz and Glamour of the "bodybuilding scene" the so called Mecca, Venice beach Calafornia. Their chosen gyms, Temple Gym Birmingham and Metroflex Texas were devoid of wannabes and ass kissers trying to be "something". These two men didn't have guys telling them they were great. They did not "hit up" the clubs and crave the attention of others. As Ronnie puts it "Nothing to it, but to do it!"

Flex and Chris....Some of the best genetics EVER, "Should of, Would have, Could have". This phrase sums up these guys. I believe the Venice Beach lifestyle got the BETTER OF THEM, The partying, the fast cars, The hanger's on telling them they were incredible. These two men were so wrapped up in the social scene of the Mecca, that they forgot what it takes to be a real champion.....BLOOD AND GUTS.......not bullshit materialistic garbage or social status.

Dorian said it best "Flex Wheeler didn't have the mental capacity to be a Mr Olympia"

Opinions?

Compare this garbage to Ronnie or Dorian's Training, and it soon becomes apparent why flex never amounted to the sum of his genetic potential.

Beener

• Getbig IV
Re: The Gold's gym Venice "Scene" Ruined Flex and Chris Cormier
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 02:18:08 PM »
yeah, sorry but you're a fag.quit livin in the past. plus, flex and chris were top teir competitors...they were the best they could be quit whining.

SirTraps

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 02:24:09 PM »
who gives a shit ? its juiced up men in thongs posing for old queens.

Boost

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2008, 02:25:02 PM »
yeah, sorry but you're a fag.quit livin in the past. plus, flex and chris were top teir competitors...they were the best they could be quit whining.
Really? haha
If Cormier had thrown his cellphone away and stopped partying in Amsterdam......then he could have taken Dorian up on his offer and trained in England for a year...away from the bullshit. Chris is the definition of wasted potential. "best they could be".....please ;D

Zaphod

• Getbig IV
  • IFBB Mr Canada 1970
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2008, 02:29:29 PM »
Maybe they needed workout partners that screamed "SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZE IT!" at the top of their lungs?

Beener

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2008, 02:58:55 PM »
Really? haha
If Cormier had thrown his cellphone away and stopped partying in Amsterdam......then he could have taken Dorian up on his offer and trained in England for a year...away from the bullshit. Chris is the definition of wasted potential. "best they could be".....please ;D

What i mean is, thats not the type of poeple they are. Its not what happened. We can go back and say what if this , what if that, but thats not how it was.  whereas wiht dorian and ronnnie, they ARE the type to bust ass. whatever i dont know what im sayin anymore ima go take a nap.

Method101

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2008, 03:00:52 PM »
lol, flex had a tiny neck, so out of proportion with his body,
how many pros train their neck specifically? i dont see many with pencil necks like flex

JohnnyVegas

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2008, 03:04:14 PM »
Really? haha

Yeah, I hear ya, Arnold, Franco, Sergio, Draper, Viator, Mentzer Bros, Serge, Corney, Christian, Paris....training at the mecca was a disaster for all of them.

The RedMeatKid

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2008, 03:14:05 PM »
Yeah, I hear ya, Arnold, Franco, Sergio, Draper, Viator, Mentzer Bros, Serge, Corney, Christian, Paris....training at the mecca was a disaster for all of them.

Draper=ex-drug addict
Mentzer Bros=ex-organisms
Christian=Crip
Paris=FM side of the dial
(

JohnnyVegas

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2008, 03:23:59 PM »
Draper=ex-drug addict
Mentzer Bros=ex-organisms
Christian=Crip
Paris=FM side of the dial

Draper=Mr. America, Mr. Universe
Mentzer Bros= Mr. America's, Mr. Universe
Christian= National Champ, World Champ
Paris= National Champ, World Champ

There, fixed.

Boost

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2008, 03:26:58 PM »
Sure the Mecca in the 70's and 80's was great. until the posers of the 90's arrived. It's the last place to be if u are serious about getting things done. Talk about distractions.

swilkins1984

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2008, 03:35:32 PM »
Its not like all those Olympias were uncontested. Granted 92-93 years of Yates 1998,2002, 2003, 2005 years of Ronnie. Many others could have won those other years it was a judges opinion. No Chris never deserved an Olympia onstage but definitely an Arnold Classic or two and Flex deserves the 1999 Olympia. Levrone should have 2-3. Shawn should have 1994 and Nasser should have 1997, Cutler 2001

Dorian01

• Getbig IV
  • Coach loves the sticky studs
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2008, 03:41:31 PM »
Coca cola and white women ruined em.

m8

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2008, 03:55:34 PM »
Good post.

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2008, 09:08:42 PM »
I do agree to some extent that if Flex trained in an environment that didn't have the "distractions" that Venice did, he would have won maybe 2-3 more Arnold Classics, and possibly have won the O. But that clip of him, joking around at 1 week out from the O, does show some brevity and personality to the whole bbing scene. Also Flex wasn't lifting heavy...if you've seen the vid, when he's training his arms, he talks about "coming back from a tear". He tore his biceps (don't which one), so one week out, he's not going to train very heavy and risk injury.

Also Flex was a light-weight for his height of 5-10. Most bbers at that height were 245-280, he looked best at 216-225. A world of a difference to his competitors, so the amount of weight he would push probably is comparable to his weight.

Cormier did try to remove himself, i think he moved to Vegas (more distractions) and that coke-head blond (Amho Hight) that he has a kid with, doesn't help .i   

Tombo

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2008, 10:46:37 PM »
bodybuilding is a pathetic sport

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2008, 10:59:01 PM »
The op is close but not quite right. Gold's Venice made those guys as well, but Gold's Venice in the 90's could be a dangerous place. Lots of temptations... lots of roads to choose from...

IMO, Gold's Gym Venice made more people than it ruined.
a

JohnnyVegas

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2008, 11:00:07 PM »
I do agree to some extent that if Flex trained in an environment that didn't have the "distractions" that Venice did, he would have won maybe 2-3 more Arnold Classics, and possibly have won the O. But that clip of him, joking around at 1 week out from the O, does show some brevity and personality to the whole bbing scene. Also Flex wasn't lifting heavy...if you've seen the vid, when he's training his arms, he talks about "coming back from a tear". He tore his biceps (don't which one), so one week out, he's not going to train very heavy and risk injury.

Also Flex was a light-weight for his height of 5-10. Most bbers at that height were 245-280, he looked best at 216-225. A world of a difference to his competitors, so the amount of weight he would push probably is comparable to his weight.

Cormier did try to remove himself, i think he moved to Vegas (more distractions) and that coke-head blond (Amho Hight) that he has a kid with, doesn't help .i   

Flex never tore his bicep. Ever.

As for training heavy-no one does the weeks before a show-they are too weak from the diet.

Last, Flex never competed at 216 in the pro's....it is possioble he was 225, bit more likely 230......250 for his last show.

no one

• Getbig V
  • have i hurt your feelings?
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2008, 11:03:48 PM »

As for training heavy-no one does the weeks before a show-they are too weak from the diet.

Last, Flex never competed at 216 in the pro's....it is possioble he was 225, bit more likely 230......250 for his last show.

not true.

i know alot of guys 3-5 weeks out who are stronger at this point of their prep than the start of it.
b

JohnnyVegas

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2008, 11:05:23 PM »
not true.

i know alot of guys 3-5 weeks out who are stronger at this point of their prep than the start of it.

Wow, not me.......

no one

• Getbig V
  • have i hurt your feelings?
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2008, 11:17:23 PM »
Wow, not me.......

some guys keep their calories high thru their prep, and by 8 weeks out you have added in fina and winstrol into your stack which you feel start turning the tires after 2 weeks or so.

it's pretty common place to grow into your prep, as opposed to cutting down.
b

Moosejay

« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2008, 11:29:34 PM »

You are NEVER the 'best you can be'.

Never.

fathead

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2008, 11:50:29 PM »
yaaaa   if chris and ken trained at a curves in fucken Nebraska they would of done soooo much more in bodybuilding

these 2 didn't accomplish shit!  ::)

i also want to say that the chicago bulls "scene" ruined Jordan!

Swedish Viking

• Getbig IV
  • http://plunkan.blogspot.com/
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2008, 12:13:44 AM »
I'd like to think that Yates and Coleman would have made it even if they trained at Gold's Venice.  I wonder if Chris and Flex would have even gotten as far as they did had they trained elsewhere-they might have been overwhelmed by the attitude in those other gyms.  I trained at Golds Venice for a couple of years and it's a real fun and light hearted gym-definitely not the same atmosphere as Metroflex and Temple seem to have(I haven't been to them though).

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2008, 12:45:43 AM »

Flex won the 1993 Arnold at 216, he was 218 for the 1993 O, he was about 220-ish when the vid was shot. He won the 1997 Arnold at 224, and was at the 1996  O at 227ish.
So, Flex stating that he tore his bicep in his book is lying. And When he says in that video that was done one week from the O, in which he says "...it shows how you can come back from a tear too...", in which he is working his bis, is coincidence?