Author Topic: School choice IS a good thing  (Read 643 times)

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
School choice IS a good thing
« on: May 19, 2008, 10:28:37 AM »
Democrats for School Choice
May 19, 2008; Page A14 opinionjourna.com

When Florida passed a law in 2001 creating the Corporate Tax Credit Scholarship Program for underprivileged students, all but one Democrat in the state legislature voted against it. Earlier this month, lawmakers extended the program – this time with the help of a full third of Democrats in the Legislature, including 13 of 25 members of the state's black caucus and every member of the Hispanic caucus. What changed?

Our guess is that low-income parents in Florida have gotten a taste of the same school choice privileges that middle- and upper-income families have always enjoyed. And they've found they like this new educational freedom. Under the scholarship program, which is means-tested, companies get a 100% tax credit for donations to state-approved nonprofits that provide private-school vouchers for low-income families.

The program already serves some 20,000 students. The expansion will allow it to assist an additional 6,000. It's no surprise that poor families would embrace educational options, given that their government-assigned schools are clearly failing their children. The high school graduation rate for black students in Florida is 45% overall, 38% for black males. The 52% graduation rate for Hispanics is also nothing to brag about.

What's encouraging is that these parents have managed to convey their pro-choice sentiments to their representatives, who are responding even though voucher programs infuriate powerful liberal special interest groups like the teachers unions. Given that 70% of the program participants are black or Hispanic, you'd think Democrats would be taking the lead on a measure that mostly benefits their traditional constituency. Apparently they needed a little prodding, but we're glad to see they did the right thing.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: School choice IS a good thing
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 10:51:17 AM »
School choice is a GREAT thing.  I've worked at both magnet and choice schools.  Parents who care are able to find a school that is best for them, and yes, some schools become cesspolls very quickly.  At that point, they need to replace the administration (principal and asst principals) and move in people who can clean up the school.  It has impvoved some schools greatly. 

Some schools were poor and had poor performance. So they added an advanced music, arts, dance, or college prep program, and let kids choose to go there.  You suddenly had 500 very smart and ambitious kids influxed into this bad school.  And the school performed better, and the good kids rubbed off on the bad kids. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 10:56:18 AM »
Democrats for School Choice
May 19, 2008; Page A14 opinionjourna.com

When Florida passed a law in 2001 creating the Corporate Tax Credit Scholarship Program for underprivileged students, all but one Democrat in the state legislature voted against it. Earlier this month, lawmakers extended the program – this time with the help of a full third of Democrats in the Legislature, including 13 of 25 members of the state's black caucus and every member of the Hispanic caucus. What changed?

Our guess is that low-income parents in Florida have gotten a taste of the same school choice privileges that middle- and upper-income families have always enjoyed. And they've found they like this new educational freedom. Under the scholarship program, which is means-tested, companies get a 100% tax credit for donations to state-approved nonprofits that provide private-school vouchers for low-income families.

The program already serves some 20,000 students. The expansion will allow it to assist an additional 6,000. It's no surprise that poor families would embrace educational options, given that their government-assigned schools are clearly failing their children. The high school graduation rate for black students in Florida is 45% overall, 38% for black males. The 52% graduation rate for Hispanics is also nothing to brag about.

What's encouraging is that these parents have managed to convey their pro-choice sentiments to their representatives, who are responding even though voucher programs infuriate powerful liberal special interest groups like the teachers unions. Given that 70% of the program participants are black or Hispanic, you'd think Democrats would be taking the lead on a measure that mostly benefits their traditional constituency. Apparently they needed a little prodding, but we're glad to see they did the right thing.

What's up mang?  Where you been? 

It sounds like this works wherever it's implemented, but I'm opposed to the concept because I have church-state separation concerns.  We shouldn't be using tax dollars to subsidize parochial schools. 

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008, 12:14:26 PM »
What's up mang?  Where you been? 

It sounds like this works wherever it's implemented, but I'm opposed to the concept because I have church-state separation concerns.  We shouldn't be using tax dollars to subsidize parochial schools. 

Whaddup, Mang?  Dude, they've got me running to sundown and then some at the office.  So, I haven't been able come in and do battle in the religion and/or politics ring. 

I see your point about the tax dollars going to the parochial schools.  I was under the impression that the money goes to the taxpayer and the taxpayer then pays for the school of choice? 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 02:11:53 PM »
Whaddup, Mang?  Dude, they've got me running to sundown and then some at the office.  So, I haven't been able come in and do battle in the religion and/or politics ring. 

I see your point about the tax dollars going to the parochial schools.  I was under the impression that the money goes to the taxpayer and the taxpayer then pays for the school of choice? 

Sucks when work gets in the way.   :)

The money does go to the parents who can decide to send their kids to a "private" school, which can be a parochial school.  I think the courts have already said it isn't unconstitutional, but at the end of the day we are talking about tax dollars being used to support parochial schools (at least in some cases).  Also, government regulation follows government money, so this kind of thing opens the door to increased government control in religious circles.  This is one area where I tend to part company with conservatives.