Author Topic: Natural disaster... god's punishment?  (Read 4669 times)

BayGBM

• Getbig V
Natural disaster... god's punishment?
« on: May 20, 2008, 08:22:52 AM »
Are there any conservative/religious people here who think God will punish the US or California for this Supreme Court ruling with a natural disaster?  Do any of you think that gays, abortionists, etc. were ‘responsible’ for 911 as some reverend claimed?

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-gay18-2008may18,0,4272300.story

California chief justice says same-sex marriage ruling was one of his toughest
Ronald M. George, a moderate Republican who voted with the majority, likens the case to civil rights battles.
By Maura Dolan, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer

May 18, 2008

SAN FRANCISCO — In the days leading up to the California Supreme Court's historic same-sex marriage ruling Thursday, the decision "weighed most heavily" on Chief Justice Ronald M. George -- more so, he said, than any previous case in his nearly 17 years on the court.

The court was poised 4 to 3 not only to legalize same-sex marriage but also to extend to sexual orientation the same broad protections against bias previously saved for race, gender and religion. The decision went further than any other state high court's and would stun legal scholars, who have long characterized George and his court as cautious and middle of the road.

But as he read the legal arguments, the 68-year-old moderate Republican was drawn by memory to a long ago trip he made with his European immigrant parents through the American South. There, the signs warning "No Negro" or "No colored" left "quite an indelible impression on me," he recalled in a wide-ranging interview Friday.

"I think," he concluded, "there are times when doing the right thing means not playing it safe."

Yet he described his thinking on the constitutional status of state marriage laws as more of an evolution than an epiphany, the result of his reading and long discussions with staff lawyers...

drkaje

• Getbig V
  • Quiet, Err. I'm transmitting rage.
Re: Natural disaster... god's punishment?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 08:38:17 AM »
Little known fact...... All those people in China/Myanmar were gay.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 08:47:42 AM »
Nope.  Last I checked Massachusetts was still standing. 

Although I did find it quite odd that the Patriots lost to the Giants in the Super Bowl. . . .

drkaje

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 08:52:31 AM »
Also.... comparing black civil rights to homos is assanine. Gays are not a seperate race.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2008, 08:53:29 AM »
Are there any conservative/religious people here who think God will punish the US or California for this Supreme Court ruling with a natural disaster?  Do any of you think that gays, abortionists, etc. were ‘responsible’ for 911 as some reverend claimed?

I'm a conservative Christian.  No, I don't believe that.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2008, 09:05:23 AM »
Also.... comparing black civil rights to homos is assanine. Gays are not a seperate race.

Correct.  Race is innate.  Homosexuality, bissexuality = no innate.

Nordic Superman

• Getbig V
  • Hesitation doesn't come easily in this blood...
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2008, 09:36:11 AM »
Natural disaster.
الاسلام هو شيطانية

drkaje

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2008, 10:36:22 AM »
Natural disaster.

It was the hand of God. Just wait and see... it won't be long until a earthquake hits the Godless in Californicia. :)

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2008, 06:36:55 PM »
Your interpretation all depends on how primitive you are.   Myanmar, 4000 years ago, would definitely be God's wrath on the wicked, as in Myanmar, they are all wicked. 

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2008, 05:42:29 AM »
Little known fact...... All those people in China/Myanmar were gay.

doc knocks it out of teh ballpark! 8)
carpe` vaginum!

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2008, 06:04:59 AM »
Some people blame natural disasters, not on God, but on Karma:

Sharon Stone: Was China quake `bad karma?'

Wed May 28, 5:57 AM ET

LOS ANGELES - Sharon Stone's "karma" comment is having an instant effect on her movie-star status in China.

The 50-year-old actress suggested last week that the devastating May 12 earthquake in China could have been the result of bad karma over the government's treatment of Tibet. That prompted the founder of one of China's biggest cinema chains to say his company would not show her films in his theaters, according to a story in The Hollywood Reporter.

"I'm not happy about the way the Chinese are treating the Tibetans because I don't think anyone should be unkind to anyone else," Stone said Thursday during a Cannes Film Festival red-carpet interview with Hong Kong's Cable Entertainment News. "And then this earthquake and all this stuff happened, and then I thought, is that karma? When you're not nice that the bad things happen to you?"

Ng See-Yuen, founder of the UME Cineplex chain and the chairman of the Federation of Hong Kong Filmmakers, called Stone's comments "inappropriate," adding that actors should not bring personal politics to comments about a natural disaster that has left five million Chinese homeless, according to the Reporter.

UME has branches in Beijing, Shanghai, Chongqing, Hangzhou and Guangzhou, China's biggest urban movie markets.

During the brief interview, which has also surfaced on YouTube, Stone also said she cried when she received a letter from the Tibetan Foundation asking her to help quake victims.

"They wanted to go and be helpful, and that made me cry," she said. "It was a big lesson to me that sometimes you have to learn to put your head down and be of service even to people who aren't nice to you."

Stone's words created a swell of anger on the Internet, including at least one Chinese Web site devoted solely to disparaging her comments.

"To Sharon Stone's comment, it's unlikely that we will respond," said a woman who answered the phone at the Foreign Ministry in Beijing. She refused to give her name or position.

After-hours phone calls and email to a representative for Stone were not immediately returned Tuesday night.

According to the Web-based database imdb.com, Stone has at least four movies coming up between now and 2010, including "Streets of Blood," "Five Dollars a Day" and "The Year of Getting to Know Us."
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080528/ap_on_en_mo/people_sharon_stone_quake

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
  • I'm too sexy for my shirt!!!
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2008, 06:32:15 AM »
That retard Sharon Stone should be barred from public speaking and forced to take a remedial science course, including some geology and plate tectonics.

It's amazing that in this day and age, people still have that animist impulse to attribute "Karma" and "God" and "intention" to the works of nature, when they really should know better.

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2008, 12:51:50 PM »
Correct.  Race is innate.  Homosexuality, bissexuality = no innate.

Are you suggesting people choose to be gay?

if so you are wrong, there are many differences in the brains of gays and straight, along with the fact that many animals in nature display gay activity, along with the fact that you dont choose to be straight, your just not attracted to men.

Its genetic

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2008, 06:45:57 PM »

if so you are wrong, there are many differences in the brains of gays and straight, along with the fact that many animals in nature display gay activity, along with the fact that you dont choose to be straight, your just not attracted to men.

Its genetic

Beach Bum, a PhD, doesn't get that. Try the Ark story though, it's one of his favourites.
I hate the State.

Necrosis

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2008, 07:16:21 PM »
Beach Bum, a PhD, doesn't get that. Try the Ark story though, it's one of his favourites.

jesus, its quite obvious that sexuality is innate. No one chooses who they find attractive, you cant find an ugly girl attractive if you try hard, nor a guy if you try hard, its your innate disposition.

on well, people will move into a more accepting society with less room for moronic condemnation

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2008, 07:56:00 PM »
jesus, its quite obvious that sexuality is innate. No one chooses who they find attractive, you cant find an ugly girl attractive if you try hard, nor a guy if you try hard, its your innate disposition.

on well, people will move into a more accepting society with less room for moronic condemnation

And you sir will one day start using proper punctuation.  ;D The generation gap.... :-\
I hate the State.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2008, 09:41:15 PM »

Its genetic

Dude it isn't genetic. 

You have often talked about needing scientific proof to support certain beliefs.  Where is the scientific proof that homosexuality is genetic? 

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2008, 09:55:37 PM »
Dude it isn't genetic. 

You have often talked about needing scientific proof to support certain beliefs.  Where is the scientific proof that homosexuality is genetic? 

Says the man who believes the world is 6,000 years old based on an ancient book of plagiarised, cobbled together fables, myths and pseudo-history.
I hate the State.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2008, 10:09:31 PM »
Says the man who believes the world is 6,000 years old based on an ancient book of plagiarised, cobbled together fables, myths and pseudo-history.

Says the irrational, paranoid anti-religious extremist. 

I never said the world is 6000 years old.   ::) 

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2008, 06:02:52 AM »
Says the irrational, paranoid anti-religious extremist. 

I never said the world is 6000 years old.   ::) 

Yet you believe in your magic book as fact.
I hate the State.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2008, 01:01:44 AM »
Yet you believe in your magic book as fact.

So forget about your made-up contention that I believe the world is 6000 years old, which had nothing to do with anything in this thread.   ::)

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2008, 04:20:51 AM »
So forget about your made-up contention that I believe the world is 6000 years old, which had nothing to do with anything in this thread.   ::)

The bible makes the claim. Don't you believe in the bible?
I hate the State.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2008, 11:23:14 AM »
The bible makes the claim. Don't you believe in the bible?

O Rly?  Point me to the chapter and verse that says the world is 6,000 years old. 

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2008, 02:18:14 PM »
Actually, if you interpret, Genesis as saying God created the Earth in 6 days and take the verse somewhere in the Bible that says a day to god is like a thousand years and add it to what some dude did, when he figured, counting generations listed in the Bible, that adam and eve existed about 4400 bc and add that to the present 2008 ad and add the 6000 for creation, then the earth would be about 12-13k.

But many  creationists have shied away from holding on to that and are interpreting the 6 day verses differently.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2008, 05:07:05 PM »
Actually, if you interpret, Genesis as saying God created the Earth in 6 days and take the verse somewhere in the Bible that says a day to god is like a thousand years and add it to what some dude did, when he figured, counting generations listed in the Bible, that adam and eve existed about 4400 bc and add that to the present 2008 ad and add the 6000 for creation, then the earth would be about 12-13k.

But many  creationists have shied away from holding on to that and are interpreting the 6 day verses differently.

Yeah I’ve heard that argument.  It also says "in the beginning" God created, etc.  There is no discussion in the Bible about when "the beginning" was.  I have no idea.  Nor do I care.  It's really not something I worry about.