Author Topic: A bodybuilder's blood pressure - discuss this statement  (Read 2284 times)

Jenetics

• Getbig II
A bodybuilder's blood pressure - discuss this statement
« on: May 20, 2008, 03:07:58 PM »
In the book "Building the Perfect Beast", Author L. Rea writes:-

"Normal blood pressure for average individuals is around 120/80. This is considered pretty healthy. However,bodybuilders and powerlifters are not average. They tend to be much larger and heavier, carrying significantly more lean mass tissue. For this reason, they have larger, more powerful hearts to suppy high volumes of blood to a greater amount of tissue.

The first number of a blood pressure reading indicates blood pressure after the heart contracts, which raises vascular pressure, and blood is pumped through the body. Obviously, the second number measures blood pressure before the heard contracts.

Since bodybuilders and powerlifters hav more powerful, larger hearts a first number of 150, 160 or even 180 is relatively normal and need not usually be a cause for concern..."

Is this really the case that bodybuilders needn't be too concerned about isolated systolic high blood pressure readings? I weigh around 230lbs, fairly lean, at 6ft tall and my blood pressure has quite consistently been 140-145/70 at this body weight.

Brutal_1

• Getbig V
  • Your best is...
Re: A bodybuilder's blood pressure - discuss this statement
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 03:20:52 PM »
In the book "Building the Perfect Beast", Author L. Rea writes:-

"Normal blood pressure for average individuals is around 120/80. This is considered pretty healthy. However,bodybuilders and powerlifters are not average. They tend to be much larger and heavier, carrying significantly more lean mass tissue. For this reason, they have larger, more powerful hearts to suppy high volumes of blood to a greater amount of tissue.

The first number of a blood pressure reading indicates blood pressure after the heart contracts, which raises vascular pressure, and blood is pumped through the body. Obviously, the second number measures blood pressure before the heard contracts.

Since bodybuilders and powerlifters hav more powerful, larger hearts a first number of 150, 160 or even 180 is relatively normal and need not usually be a cause for concern..."

Is this really the case that bodybuilders needn't be too concerned about isolated systolic high blood pressure readings? I weigh around 230lbs, fairly lean, at 6ft tall and my blood pressure has quite consistently been 140-145/70 at this body weight.

Hell no it's not true!  ::)

Bodybuilders/powerlifters have normal hearts...they just adapt to the increased work load and higher bodyweight of these "athletes."

Stress on the heart is still stress on the heart...doesn't matter who you are.  The heart will compensate by getting thicker  i.e. Left Ventricular Hypertrophy in hypertensive patients.

BTW...NOT ALL EXERCISE IS BENEFICIAL FOR THE HEART.  There's a huge difference between cardiovascular exercise and Resistance training, completely different effects on the heart.  Heavy weight lifting actually mimics being hypertensive...thus you get the hypertrophy and decreased intraventricular space.  Bottom line, heart works harder! 

I can't talk though...I know the long term effects of this "sport", I indulge anyways   ;)
just not good enough

Moosejay

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 03:22:25 PM »
I don't agree with that excerpt.

Your bp is high....get it checked.

Meltdown

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 03:28:01 PM »
Bullshit Blood Pressure is an indicator of heart health if it's high your heading to an early Grave.Cardio is where it's at for heart heath oh and Omega oils 3-6-9 = healthy heart.