Author Topic: Lack of carbs DOES affect strength  (Read 2863 times)

rccs

• Getbig IV
  • Alma Matter!
Lack of carbs DOES affect strength
« on: May 21, 2008, 03:29:08 AM »
I started last Sunday cutting carbs to loose 2 kgs until the 25th (next Sunday), to compete in the PL nationals. Yesterday I got very worried about whta happened. Last week I was deadlifting 240kg for 2 reps no problem, and I was going to try the 250 kg yesterday. When I reached the 240 kg I could barely lift it once and I felt my forearm muscles jumping... However I am still 102 kg (lost 1kg) and I can only weight 100kg because I was qualified in the regional weighting 98.300 on April 13th. I didn't pay much atention to the calories and last week I was 103.700kgs. What can I do loose some weight and avoid major strength crash?
S

burn2live

• Getbig IV
Re: Lack of carbs DOES affect strength
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 04:13:56 AM »
I started last Sunday cutting carbs to loose 2 kgs until the 25th (next Sunday), to compete in the PL nationals. Yesterday I got very worried about whta happened. Last week I was deadlifting 240kg for 2 reps no problem, and I was going to try the 250 kg yesterday. When I reached the 240 kg I could barely lift it once and I felt my forearm muscles jumping... However I am still 102 kg (lost 1kg) and I can only weight 100kg because I was qualified in the regional weighting 98.300 on April 13th. I didn't pay much atention to the calories and last week I was 103.700kgs. What can I do loose some weight and avoid major strength crash?

Who said that lack of carbs doesn't affect strength? I've always found it ruins my strength.

If you can get down to 102kg then on the morning of the weigh in you could spend some time in the sauna and sweat out the last couple of kg, provided one is available. That depends on how you handle heat though...

I managed to lose 1.8kg in 45mins prior to my second meet. Spend 6-7 minutes a time in there. It's hell btw  :)

NATIVE ONE

• Getbig II
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 04:26:34 AM »
I feel your pain brother. I've been cutting to get to the 198s. Started @ 228, and I'm down to 207. All my lifts have suffered. Just up your protein and hope for the best!!?? ???. Good luck with the meet.
3 REPS....I'M DONE!

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
  • I'm too sexy for my shirt!!!
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 04:47:10 AM »
Yes. Low carbs kill your lifts and size...

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 06:31:59 AM »

Make sure your down in weight at least three days before the meet.

Then eat properly the day before.

Carbing up the few hours before the meet has limited value IMO.

As empty as paradise

rccs

• Getbig IV
  • Alma Matter!
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 08:06:53 AM »
Thanx guys! BTW I will atempt do squat 200kg (not much... I have an injured abductor it is a terrible pain), deadlift 250kg and bp 190kg!
S

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2008, 04:20:32 PM »
Thanx guys! BTW I will atempt do squat 200kg (not much... I have an injured abductor it is a terrible pain), deadlift 250kg and bp 190kg!

Good luck! Let us know how you do

Lord Humungous

• Getbig V
  • REVOLUTION CALLING!
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2008, 06:31:40 PM »
It totally depends on the person whos cutting carbs. When Im on a low carb diet I feel great, im strong and I look better. To bad that pizza calls to me late at night  :'(
X

rccs

• Getbig IV
  • Alma Matter!
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2008, 06:56:01 AM »
Good luck! Let us know how you do

Hy guys... My fear about having negative effects because of the diet to loose some weight came true... I weigh in 96.7kg (lost too much weight, plus I had to drive 300km to go to the competition in the same day  :P) and my lifts suffered with it. BP 185kg - SQ - 200kg - DL - 240kg. I felt a major energy deficit and got a new injury in my left ham, while I was doing the last bp attempt  >:(
My advise: Try to maintain within a 2kg difference of body weight between the qualifying rounds (if you have to do them) and the main event. If you have to loose 3 or more kgs, than you will be literally screwed... Muscle pain, headache etc, etc... Next year I will not commit the same mistake. When I get some photos I will post them here.
S

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2008, 11:46:27 AM »
Hy guys... My fear about having negative effects because of the diet to loose some weight came true... I weigh in 96.7kg (lost too much weight, plus I had to drive 300km to go to the competition in the same day  :P) and my lifts suffered with it. BP 185kg - SQ - 200kg - DL - 240kg. I felt a major energy deficit and got a new injury in my left ham, while I was doing the last bp attempt  >:(
My advise: Try to maintain within a 2kg difference of body weight between the qualifying rounds (if you have to do them) and the main event. If you have to loose 3 or more kgs, than you will be literally screwed... Muscle pain, headache etc, etc... Next year I will not commit the same mistake. When I get some photos I will post them here.

You almost made your goals man. I wouldn't be too hard on yourself. Were you lifting raw or equipped?

davie

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2008, 03:29:52 PM »
Iv wondered this recently to, iv followed a mod carb high protein diet over last 15months, put 30lbs on my frams, im def strongest iv ever been to, but wandered how more carbs wud help?!

davie
It isn't the mountains ah