Author Topic: Would you clone your dog?  (Read 2915 times)

BayGBM

• Getbig V
Would you clone your dog?
« on: May 21, 2008, 07:42:48 AM »
Cat's were clonned in the 1990s.  It is not as easy to clone a dog but it is now possible to clone your canine.  If it were cheap and you could afford it, would you clone your dog?  Why do religious people object to clonning?

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=4895250&page=1

Cloning Man's Best Friend: How Far Would You Go to Keep Fido?
New Company Gives Bidders Opportunity to Have Their Dogs Replicated
By MIGUEL MARQUEZ, ARIANE NALTY and IMAEYEN IBANGA
May 21, 2008 —

When Mira, husky and border collie mix, was born six months ago, she didn't just look like her biological mother. She was an exact copy  even down to her personality, according to owner Lou Hawthorne.

That's because Mira was cloned from her mother, Missy.

"This is just an alternative way of initiating life. And after that, it's life as we have known it and do know it," said Hawthorne, CEO of BioArts International, the company that cloned the dog, on "Good Morning America" in a broadcast exclusive.

It is only the second time a dog has been cloned and the first time a U.S. company has done it. BioArts International, which plans to publish its research in scientific journals, sits on the cutting edge of science, in part because it's opening the door to commercial cloning.

The feat represents a chance for dog owners to keep their best friends around indefinitely in an unconventional way  an interesting proposition for those who view their pets as an integral family member and never want to part with them.

Hawthorne has spent more than $20 million and 10 years in pursuit of dog cloning. Missy, Hawthorne's family dog who died in 2002 at age 15, has been the subject of extensive cloning research since the Missyplicity Project began in 1997.

Now Hawthorne's startup, BioArts International, is offering pet owners the opportunity to replicate their prized dogs. The company is taking bids for five cloned dogs. The auction, part of a program Hawthorne calls Best Friends Again, will end June 18. The top five bidders will win the chance to clone the dog of their choice.

The idea is pleasing to people like Cindy Blom, who said she would consider cloning her dog, Perry Como.

"He's the right size. He's very handsome and he has a great personality. It's hard to get all that in one package," she said of her beloved pet.

Those types of sentiments are part of what BioArts International seized upon when it considered the idea of entering the dog cloning business. Though the company still isn't committed totally to cloning dogs as a full-time service, the auction will serve as an indicator of how much people are interested in the idea and the price people are willing to pay for a cloned pet.

Hawthorne suspects the auction could net six-figure bids per animal.

The Process

But making a cloned dog is by no means simple. Unlike the famed cloned sheep Dolly or even a cat, replicating your favorite pooch is much more difficult because its reproductive systems are incredibly complex.

Viable eggs are needed for cloning and those only are produced when a dog is in heat. That only happens twice a year. And once a dog goes into heat, doctors only have a short time, about an hour, to extract the delicate eggs from the donor dog's fallopian tubes.

Hawthorne said only through sophisticated blood testing is it possible to know the exact moment to operate to retrieve to the eggs.

Once scientists have the eggs, they are stripped of their nuclei. The nucleus acts as a genetic road map.

Meanwhile, a DNA sample is taken from the dog to be cloned.

In Missy's case, her cheek and abdomen were swabbed to get her DNA. That genetic material was then implanted in a donor egg.

The egg was given an electrical jolt  a chemical reaction that creates an electrical charge and reanimates the egg after the new DNA material is placed. And finally, the egg is implanted in a surrogate dog.

According to Hawthorne, his company has had a 25 percent success rate with the process. In fact, Missy has three clones, including Mira.

All three puppies were carried by different surrogate mothers  in this case "large yellow dogs" that Hawthorne said are indigenous to Korea, where the actual cloning took place.

To Clone or Not to Clone

While some may be thrilled at the idea of cloning their favorite four-legged friend, critics contend this process could make the jump to human cloning much easier to imagine because many see dogs as friends and even part of the family.

Also, Center for Genetics and Society ethicist Marcy Darnovsky is concerned about BioArts' work with disgraced Korean stem cell researcher Hwang Woo-Suk, which she believes raises serious questions.

Woo-Suk, a South Korean scientist and professor, gained international attention in 2004 when he said his research team successfully cloned a human embryo and produced stem cells from it.

A year later, however, he resigned in disgrace when an investigation said he used unacceptable practices to acquire the eggs from human donors and then faked two landmark pieces of research in the matter.

Beyond the Woo-Suk connection, Darnovsky has another problem with the dog-cloning program.

"I think the key concern with the cloned dog is that we are not seeing all the puppies that didn't make it," she said.

Hawthorne said the puppies that don't make it never get beyond the very early stages. He added that all the dogs used to produce clones are cared for.

Even if dissent in the scientific community exists, for some owners, the idea of having a piece of their favorite furry pet is enough to make them want to participate.

When Los Angeles writer, director and musician Liam Lynch's cat Frankie Forcefield was run over by a car and killed, he put it in the refrigerator, called Hawthorne's company and had his cat cloned. Lynch said his new replica cat, Finnegan, helped him get over the grief of Frankie's death.

He said Finnegan is an exact copy. Not only does Finnegan look like Frankie, his mannerisms and quirks are exactly the same, Lynch said.

Lynch even made a podcast about his decision to have his cat cloned.

"Seeing those eyes again," said Lynch. "It was very strange and you have a lot of weird emotions that are you don't have names for the emotions. It's kind of like, 'I know we've just met but it's so great to see you again.'"

drkaje

• Getbig V
  • Quiet, Err. I'm transmitting rage.
Re: Would you clone your dog?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 03:48:14 PM »
They've been cloning horses for a while. Most of the nutcases who would clone a dog can't afford that exercise in stupidity. If they made it cost what some of these petwits can put on a credit card.... all bets are off, LOL!

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008, 10:18:50 AM »
I don't think I'd clone my dogs.

For some reason I don't think I'd want to eat cloned meat either.
R

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 10:33:07 AM »
I don't think I'd clone my dogs.

For some reason I don't think I'd want to eat cloned meat either.

I would not want to eat clonned meat.  In fact, I would pay more for meat that was not clonned.  But I have no moral objection to clonning my pet.  Do you?

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2008, 10:35:48 AM »
I would not want to eat clonned meat.  In fact, I would pay more for meat that was not clonned.  But I have no moral objection to clonning my pet.  Do you?
I don't think I know enough about it to object to cloning pets.  I can certainly understand why someone would want to clone their pets though :)

R

Nordic Superman

• Getbig V
  • Hesitation doesn't come easily in this blood...
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2008, 12:58:01 PM »
I don't think I know enough about it to object to cloning pets.  I can certainly understand why someone would want to clone their pets though :)

Because they're fucking looneys? ???

Honestly, who the hell wants to clone a dog... harden the fuck up.
الاسلام هو شيطانية

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2008, 01:34:22 AM »

You can't clone a personality.

Nordic Superman

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2008, 03:11:41 AM »
If you had a kid, and it got run over when it was 8 and killed, given the opportunity, would you clone your child?
الاسلام هو شيطانية

JasonH

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2008, 05:13:45 AM »
You can't clone a personality.

That's what I would have said.

Cloning should only be used for serious medical research - not to give some stupid pet owner peace of mind.

drkaje

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2008, 05:16:21 AM »
If you had a kid, and it got run over when it was 8 and killed, given the opportunity, would you clone your child?

No.

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2008, 06:58:55 AM »
... harden the fuck up.
lol you are hardcore ;D
R

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2008, 08:32:54 AM »

No.  But I could see clonning my dog or cat.

Nordic Superman

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2008, 09:11:02 AM »
No.  But I could see clonning my dog or cat.

Firstly, I let your spelling pass at first, but no longer... "clonning", "clonned", it's a SINGLE "n".

Secondly, you'd stick your cock up another man's anus, so your opinion doesn't count for much!
الاسلام هو شيطانية

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2008, 10:35:19 AM »
I don't think there is anything wrong with clonning my pet!  :)

drkaje

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2008, 12:54:54 PM »
I don't think there is anything wrong with cloning my pet!  :)

Then you're not only gay but crazy as well.

Even if someone could recreate the pussy down to the nth detail... isn't a part of what makes someone's 'tabby' what it is all the experiences it has? Are people so afraid of change and being alone that they would not only clone an animal but try to painstakingly recreate its entire life? That's beyond normal pathetic, if you ask me. In fact.. we need a person from Cambridge, or some other smart people school, to come up with a new word for people with separation issues that strong.

Eventually someone will come up with a semi-affordable way to take advantage of petwits via 'clonning'. I'm only sad that it won't be me. I'd love to patent the technology and make tons of money of people that desperate over and over and over again.

powerpack

• Getbig IV
  • Time to get Buck wild!
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2008, 12:58:29 PM »
Then you're not only gay but crazy as well.

Even if someone could recreate the pussy down to the nth detail... isn't a part of what makes someone's 'tabby' what it is all the experiences it has? Are people so afraid of change and being alone that they would not only clone an animal but try to painstakingly recreate its entire life? That's beyond normal pathetic, if you ask me. In fact.. we need a person from Cambridge, or some other smart people school, to come up with a new word for people with separation issues that strong.

Eventually someone will come up with a semi-affordable way to take advantage of petwits via 'clonning'. I'm only sad that it won't be me. I'd love to patent the technology and make tons of money of people that desperate over and over and over again.

I agree

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2008, 01:00:55 PM »
Cat clonning has been around for several years now.  A company called Genetic Savings and Clone used to offer the service for $32,000.  It has since gone out of business but other companies are taking its place.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetic_Savings_&_Clone

Peaches, right, 9 months old, is a clone of Mango, 2 years old.

drkaje

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2008, 04:58:34 PM »
Cat clonning has been around for several years now.  A company called Genetic Savings and Clone used to offer the service for $32,000.  It has since gone out of business but other companies are taking its place.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetic_Savings_&_Clone

Peaches, right, 9 months old, is a clone of Mango, 2 years old.

First of all it was a stupid business plan. Cats have 9 lives and live way too long for a company to properly exploit help petwits with any regularity. They just didn't find a way to make it affordable for more idiots.

I've had a few pussies that deserved clonning but no cats. :)

Nordic Superman

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2008, 07:39:00 AM »
Hey, what exactly is "clonning"?

Is it anything to do with "cloning"? ???
الاسلام هو شيطانية