Author Topic: The Wars We Choose to Ignore  (Read 919 times)

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
The Wars We Choose to Ignore
« on: May 26, 2008, 05:13:05 PM »
The Wars We Choose to Ignore
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/26/business/media/26carr.html?_r=2&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss&oref=slogin&oref=slogin

By DAVID CARR
Published: May 26, 2008
Gen. John A. Logan was a Union officer, a fierce Republican partisan, an early advocate of the kind of volunteer army the United States now fights wars with. He is also one of the people credited with coming up with the holiday that we celebrate today. A statue in Logan Circle in Washington shows the general on horseback flanked by two female figures said to represent America at war and America at peace.

Cpl. Jessica Ann Ellis, 24, a medic, was injured in Iraq but wanted to return to the field. She was killed on May 11.
Given public indifference to a war that refuses to end, perhaps a third statue should be added: America at peace with being at war.

Even as we celebrate generations of American soldiers past, the women and men who are making that sacrifice today in Iraq and Afghanistan receive less attention every day. There’s plenty of blame to go around: battle fatigue at home, failing media resolve and a government intent on controlling information from the battlefield.

According to the Project for Excellence in Journalism’s News Coverage Index, coverage of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan has slipped to 3 percent of all American print and broadcast news as of last week, falling from 25 percent as recently as last September.

“Ironically, the success of the surge and a reduction in violence has led to a reduction in coverage,” said Mark Jurkowitz of the Project for Excellence in Journalism. “There is evidence that people have made up their minds about this war, and other stories — like the economy and the election — have come along and sucked up all the oxygen.”

But the tactical success of the surge should not be misconstrued as making Iraq a safer place for American soldiers. Last year was the bloodiest in the five-year history of the conflict, with more than 900 dead, and last month, 52 perished, making it the bloodiest month of the year so far. So far in May, 18 have died.

Television network news coverage in particular has gone off a cliff. Citing numbers provided by a consultant, Andrew Tyndall, the Associated Press reported that in the months after September when Gen. David H. Petraeus testified before Congress about the surge, collective coverage dropped to four minutes a week from 30 minutes a week at the height of coverage, in September 2007.

It was also pointed out that when Katie Couric, CBS’s embattled anchor, went to Iraq to report the story, she and her network were rewarded with their lowest ratings in over 20 years. Hollywood producers who had hoped there would be a public interest in cinematic perspectives on this war have been similarly punished.

The war remains on the front burner for some outlets. On Sunday, The Los Angeles Times gave over much of its front page to chronicling Californians who have died fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan. The Washington Post continues to personalize the war with a series called Faces of the Fallen.

Earlier this spring, Alissa J. Rubin of The New York Times wrote about flying in a C-130 in Iraq, accompanied by soldiers, including one in a coffin at the back of the plane.

“I wondered what exactly he had died for. And although I did not know him, I felt melancholy as we flew onward, accompanied now by ghosts and memories of loss,” she wrote.

She may have been haunted by her proximity, but the rest of us? Not so much. I asked Bill Keller, the executive editor of The Times, how a war that had cost thousands of lives and over $1 trillion was losing news salience.

“There is a cold and sad calculation that readers/viewers aren’t that interested in the war, whether because they are preoccupied with paying $4 for a gallon of gas and avoiding foreclosure, or because they have Iraq fatigue,” he wrote in an e-mail message, adding that The Times stays on the story as part of an implied contract with its readers.

Other news editors have made the judgment — perhaps prodded by falling revenue and slashed news budgets — that public attitudes toward the war have become so calcified that few are interested in learning more. Why bother when things don’t change?

Except that they do, in a heartbeat. Last Thursday, Steve and Linda Ellis of Baker City, Ore., held a funeral for their daughter, Army Cpl. Jessica Ann Ellis. Corporal Ellis, a 24-year-old combat medic, died May 11 in Baghdad, a victim of a roadside bomb during her second tour of Iraq. She had been injured just three weeks before in a similar attack, but chose to go back out. She was assigned to the Second Brigade Special Troops Battalion, Second Brigade Combat Team, 101st Airborne Division and had curly, unruly hair, which brought her the nickname “Napoleon Dynamite” early in her military career.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
Re: The Wars We Choose to Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 07:03:55 AM »
I think if all u show is death then people turn it off..likewise things have been quiet and we're doing well. If the media showed the heroism and how much ass we're kicking then people would watch. But then the Left would accuse the media of propaganda. That despite the fact that the UTUBE generation would eat that shit up, regardless of the subject matter. Videos where we show gun camera footage are always popular.
L

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 07:07:13 AM »
I think the fact is that it's positive news, and the surge worked turned people off....they did not have anything to gripe about...

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 07:10:49 AM »
I think if all u show is death then people turn it off..likewise things have been quiet and we're doing well. If the media showed the heroism and how much ass we're kicking then people would watch. But then the Left would accuse the media of propaganda. That despite the fact that the UTUBE generation would eat that shit up, regardless of the subject matter. Videos where we show gun camera footage are always popular.

i'd prefer is they showed the bloody carnage, and if they showed the heroism as well.

I mean, if americans had to see a bloody family over their breakfast, then they got to see a heroic rescue with lunch, they could decide if they want the war -

wait -

dick and bush said we'll be at war even if 99% of americans are against it.

i guess they could show 'faces of death' videos, or they could show spongebob squarepants, and it wouldn't matter for shit anyway, as our opinions are irrelevant.  Until we vote this nov, I guess.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 07:13:46 AM »
U get to see all the carnage u want of IED attacks etc..what u don't get to see is US troops kicking the dog snot out of the Taliban or AQI. That stuff exists...there is tons of it.
L

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 07:26:19 AM »
U get to see all the carnage u want of IED attacks etc..what u don't get to see is US troops kicking the dog snot out of the Taliban or AQI. That stuff exists...there is tons of it.

you'd think FOX news would cover it, as they are just about the media arm of the white house.

Why do you suppose they spend more time taalking about obama's pastor, than the good we're doing over there.  Come to think of it, I see a Rev Wright mention 1 time per hour on FOX, it's automatic.  I don't hear anything about troop successes.

Why wouldn't Bush have them talk about this?

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 07:35:18 AM »
Its not Bush...FOX does a great job of covering stuff that the other outlets won't. The Fox guys in Iraq are always willing to go out to stuff that we set up for them. Alot of that stuff ends up in the 1 hour specials etc. CNN is also pretty good but its not used for daily news. The major outlets have scaled back operations in Iraq in the last 12-18 months.
L