Author Topic: Request for Help  (Read 1881 times)

Always Sore

• Getbig V
  • Catch it..Like herpes!
Request for Help
« on: May 27, 2008, 04:36:21 PM »
Ok I know I have not been around for over 6 months and I do not want to make this about me. I am posting this here because it's a safe place to get a message out thats important. If any of you you fab mods could keep out the riff raff that would be fantastic.

Ok here goes, there is a little boy Matthew who really needs help and support. I could relay the story but better to give his website so you all can read for yourselves.www.matthewcostis.org is his site and you can read his story about his battle with brain cancer and the cost to his family. I am not connected to Matthew or benefit or are related to Matthew. I am doing this because I want to see him helped. He is such a strong little kid and has been fighting and his strength in God throughout is amazing. I hope you guys read about him and are moved to help also. So much of the time we have people in need cross our lives and we just stand on the sideline and stare, well for me this one is a time where I am working to do more then stand by. I know everybody here has had something bad or wrong happen to them and I am not trying to take anything away from any of you I am only looking for people who feel moved to help. Thanks so much for your time.

Sincerly,
AS

Butterbean

• Getbig V
Re: Request for Help
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 06:32:21 AM »
Matthew has been diagnosed with a form of brain cancer known as Glioblastoma multiforme or GMB.  The surgery on February 12 led to the removal of a grade 4 glial mass from the cerebellum.  Further imaging revealed two lesions located in the area of the temporal lobes.  The two lesions will be treated first by radiation therapy, followed by chemotherapy.  Radiation therapy will begin March 3 and continue for 6 weeks.

This type of tumor primarily affects adults, so the majority of statistical information on GMB is based on adult cases that typically are not diagnosed until the tumor is of a destructive size.  Matthew’s case is extremely rare due to his age and the placement of the primary tumor, so most available statistics do not apply to his case.  There are several positive aspects to his case: First, the surgery was very successful, and they were able to remove the initial tumor entirely. Second, because of the location of the original tumor, he developed symptoms quickly that generally are not present in cases of GMB, allowing doctors to intervene early. Finally, Matthew is young, so his body will be more responsive to the therapies, and he is able to recover more quickly than an adult. He is healing rapidly from surgery, surprising even his doctors with the speed of his recovery. He is strong willed and healthy, and he has great optimism that will help him through this treatment.

Good to read the positive aspects of Matthew's case.

AS, the site says they are working on setting up an online donation solution.  Do you know how close they are to this?

I will pray for Matthew and his family and friends.
R

Always Sore

• Getbig V
  • Catch it..Like herpes!
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 07:28:09 AM »
Matthew has been diagnosed with a form of brain cancer known as Glioblastoma multiforme or GMB.  The surgery on February 12 led to the removal of a grade 4 glial mass from the cerebellum.  Further imaging revealed two lesions located in the area of the temporal lobes.  The two lesions will be treated first by radiation therapy, followed by chemotherapy.  Radiation therapy will begin March 3 and continue for 6 weeks.

This type of tumor primarily affects adults, so the majority of statistical information on GMB is based on adult cases that typically are not diagnosed until the tumor is of a destructive size.  Matthew’s case is extremely rare due to his age and the placement of the primary tumor, so most available statistics do not apply to his case.  There are several positive aspects to his case: First, the surgery was very successful, and they were able to remove the initial tumor entirely. Second, because of the location of the original tumor, he developed symptoms quickly that generally are not present in cases of GMB, allowing doctors to intervene early. Finally, Matthew is young, so his body will be more responsive to the therapies, and he is able to recover more quickly than an adult. He is healing rapidly from surgery, surprising even his doctors with the speed of his recovery. He is strong willed and healthy, and he has great optimism that will help him through this treatment.

Good to read the positive aspects of Matthew's case.

AS, the site says they are working on setting up an online donation solution.  Do you know how close they are to this?

I will pray for Matthew and his family and friends.
Thanks Stella prayers are the best medicine. Not sure how close but I know they are working towards it for online donations. Until then there is an address and please anybody that feels moved can sign his guestbook, he really is a special little fighter and could used any positive wishes. If anybody also feels moved please feel free to pass along his information and website outside to others. My main goal is to have as many people see and read and if moved help as I can. There but for the grace of God go we. Any parent here understand this and I would hope that if it were any of the people here we could band together and help each other. There are so many need kids and people in this world and I don't mean to push this cause ahead of anybody else it's just this is personal for me and I sincerly thank any and all of you that can or want to do anything. Thanks so much really for even taking the time to pray.

AS

CQ

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • TGT
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 12:37:17 PM »
I've signed the guest book and must say this is a nice gesture on your part AS. Best of luck.

Always Sore

• Getbig V
  • Catch it..Like herpes!
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2008, 07:28:21 AM »
I've signed the guest book and must say this is a nice gesture on your part AS. Best of luck.
Thanks so Much CQ. It is the least I can do, there has been such a groundswell of support and I hope it continues. I am very thankful for everybody's support.

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2008, 02:22:03 PM »
Ditto :)

R

CQ

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • TGT
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2008, 02:47:49 PM »
Um, I know you can't like bump a sticky really, but bumping for more support lol

mish

• Getbig III
  • We'll start the ass-kissing with you.
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2008, 04:22:38 PM »
Hi AS!  ;D

I just stumbled across this & I wanted to let you know that I signed the guestbook too. It's a good thing you're doing.
BKS approved

Always Sore

• Getbig V
  • Catch it..Like herpes!
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2008, 10:24:45 AM »
Hi AS!  ;D

I just stumbled across this & I wanted to let you know that I signed the guestbook too. It's a good thing you're doing.
Thanks Mish...:)

Matthew is working and fighting each day. He had a 5K charity run done on Sat last week and had a good amount of people. It's amazing the amount of support from people and businesses and our church and you guys. Matthews family is just amazed at the outporing of love and encouragement. It makes my heart feel good that everybody here has been so positive. So many times we have issues that hit all of us and it's in the times we are low we find out who really is there for us. I really want to thank everyone.

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2008, 03:58:14 PM »
Unstickying this for the time being...here is the latest update on Matthew!

July 25, 2007 (Back in the Hospital)

Unfortunately Matthew's visit to Children's on Thursday resulted in him being admitted. Matthew was diagnosed with Pneumonia and is currently undergoing treatment. He is scheduled to remain in the hospital until at least Sunday depending on his progress. Matthew was very excited to receive a special delivery from Daryl Green, a signed football wishing Matthew a speedy recovery. A while later Matthew received a personal phone call from Daryl Green himself!!!!! Matthew is planning to watch Daryl be inducted into the Hall of Fame and hopes to meet him some day soon.

Matthew would like to extend his gratitude to Mr. Daryl Green for taking the time out of his busy Hall of Fame weekend to show such Love and Support toward his Fight.
Tom Costis (Dad) will always be grateful to you for making Matthew feel like the truly special star he is.
Thank you for making Tom's Day Too.
R