Author Topic: Question: Lighting on the contest stage?  (Read 3641 times)

affeman

• Getbig V
  • Rusty Trombone looks like an abortion in a thong
Question: Lighting on the contest stage?
« on: May 28, 2008, 02:50:24 AM »
Hey Chick,

why isn't a lightning like this used at the Olympia stage (or any stage) nowadays??

Any reason for that? Everyone who saw the British GP 99 said this was the greatest lightning EVER. ???

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
  • sometimes you get the elevator, somtimes the shaft
Re: QUESTION FOR BOB CHICK!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 08:00:33 AM »
There are a lot of factors and variables that go into lighting, including the venue, height of the main lights, type of lights, background. etc...if the lights are too "hot", then there tends to be more washout. Too much down light, more shadowing. Most venues are built to light up the entire stage...bodybuilding lighting is different and specific. At the Olympia this past year, there seemed to be hot and cold spots on the stage...I saw guys look better in some spots...often the middle is lit up different than the sides, as a spotlight effect is used for the individual routines center stage...which changes the lighting to the sides...

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 08:18:46 AM »
how about a dark stage and people have to bring their own flashlights? could be pretty aWESOME
Z

affeman

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 08:22:39 AM »
There are a lot of factors and variables that go into lighting, including the venue, height of the main lights, type of lights, background. etc...if the lights are too "hot", then there tends to be more washout. Too much down light, more shadowing. Most venues are built to light up the entire stage...bodybuilding lighting is different and specific. At the Olympia this past year, there seemed to be hot and cold spots on the stage...I saw guys look better in some spots...often the middle is lit up different than the sides, as a spotlight effect is used for the individual routines center stage...which changes the lighting to the sides...

Thx for the answer Bob. So you mean a lightning like at the British GP is probably not even possible in the Olympia hall??

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 08:33:40 AM »
Thx for the answer Bob. So you mean a lightning like at the British GP is probably not even possible in the Olympia hall??

Probably not...smaller theater lighting is always the best for BB.

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 04:28:20 PM »

I am just a Joe Blow phyiscs teacher , and I have a portable light intensity meter in my lab.
Why the show promoters and the IFBB don't get on stage with a light meter at EVERY show with some actual numerical lighting guidlines is a mystery to me.
It would be pretty easy and not take too much time to establish a range of acceptable, lighting intensity ranges on the pro stage. This is a NO brainer and to easy NOT to do! Why is this NOT done?

slayer

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 06:12:33 PM »
I am just a Joe Blow phyiscs teacher , and I have a portable light intensity meter in my lab.
Why the show promoters and the IFBB don't get on stage with a light meter at EVERY show with some actual numerical lighting guidlines is a mystery to me.
It would be pretty easy and not take too much time to establish a range of acceptable, lighting intensity ranges on the pro stage. This is a NO brainer and to easy NOT to do! Why is this NOT done?
lighting is a very difficult thing to master and even if they hired the best lighting tech in the world , there is still a good chance you will have some problems.I t would be more luck then anything if you got a perfectly lit show.

To have great lighting for bb they would have to have lighting techs on salary that do it day in a day out so they could master whatever needs to be done, so each show would have a standard consistency. Obvioulsy that would not happen in pro bodybuilding since theres only a handfull of shows in a yr.

Same goes with video cameras, the more the same crew works an event the better the camera angles will be.
Jeez they take months of daily trial and error to light a play well before they even open the show!

G o a t b o y

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Time-Out in Dubai, India with Swampi the Cocksmith
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2008, 06:14:43 PM »
lighting is a very difficult thing to master and even if they hired the best lighting tech in the world , there is still a good chance you will have some problems.I t would be more luck then anything if you got a perfectly lit show.

Just hold all shows in Kamali's kitchen and you'll have perfect lighting every time.
Ron: "I am lazy."

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2008, 07:47:14 PM »

It is done...at every show. Still tough to get the perfect light for a stage line-up.

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2008, 08:58:20 AM »
It is done...at every show. Still tough to get the perfect light for a stage line-up.
I know they have some guy stand on the X spots and look, but I don't think I ever saw an actual light intensity meter used???
I don't think they have the intensity ranges listed either ( in ft-candles or lumens).

chainsaw

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2008, 09:05:57 AM »
That was a good lineup at that show.
Most are all show no go!

Mars

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2008, 12:10:14 PM »
nowadays we have jay cutler ::)

Ex Coelis

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2008, 12:19:12 PM »
the Ironman has always had the best lighting, the Arnold Classic the WORST by far

affeman

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2008, 12:35:19 PM »
the Ironman has always had the best lighting,

Wrong, read this thread! ::)

The British Grand Prix 99 had the best lightning!

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Question: Lighting on the contest stage?
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2008, 02:04:56 PM »
the Ironman has always had the best lighting, the Arnold Classic the WORST by far

Mike Neavuex works quite hard in perfecting the lighting at the Ironman, complete with the background behind it and more. At the Arnold, the stage is more of a spectacle, a presentation, thus, the background does affect the lighting sometimes in the pictures.  Especially when you have lights coming from the floor as well as the ceiling.

kmhphoto

• Expert
  • Getbig IV
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2008, 02:52:07 PM »

I don't think they have the intensity ranges listed either ( in ft-candles or lumens).

You don't really need a measurement in lumens or ft-candles to set the lighting but it's a simple conversion from f-stop/time on a regular light meter.

AVBG

Re: Question: Lighting on the contest stage?
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2008, 05:15:55 PM »
Great topic for discussion. Lighting at the IM should be calculated/measured so a formula of sorts could be replicated at other shows for consistancy to be achieved in judging and photo reporting.