Author Topic: Vent about Gold's Gym  (Read 8560 times)

TameMe

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
Vent about Gold's Gym
« on: May 28, 2008, 11:35:58 AM »
I just got kicked out of our local gold's gym because I was wearing a sports bra!!!  They just came out with these new rules..... Is it just me or are these rules ridiculous!!

No Scowling

Being unfriendly

Not carrying a towel

Not wiping off equipment

Hogging equipment

Not racking weights

Slamming or dropping weights

Grunting or screaming while lifting!!!

DEAD LIFTING is not allowed

Wearing cut off or cut up shirts

Showing too much skin

Spending more than 30 minutes on cardio machines

Talking on cell phones

Wearing tank tops, sports bras etc (all shirts must have sleeves)

Swearing

Acting like it is a meet market

Playing MP3 too loud

Making fun of people

Carrying large containers of water

Some of these make sense the some are stupid........ this is a gym and a "gold's gym" at that!!

I love to hear what people think about this (posted this on another site to see what other sites think of this also)

calmus

• Getbig IV
  • Time is luck.
Re: Vent about Gold's Gym
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 11:38:07 AM »
I just got kicked out of our local gold's gym because I was wearing a shorts bra!!! 

what's a shorts bra?

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 11:47:52 AM »
what's a shorts bra?

hahaha she corrected herself!   :D

Did they REALLY kick you out Tamme?  For good?  Or just until you came back with more clothes on?  Seems like you are the kind of person they would WANT in their gym with as few clothes on as possible!  Sounds as bad as Planet Fitness.   :o

Those rules are ridiculous!!  I break about 75% of them on a daily basis...particularly the ones about scowling, being unfriendly, hogging equipment, grunting or screaming while lifting, DEADLIFTING (WTF!?!?!), showing too much skin, spending more than 30 mins on cardio machines, wearing tank tops, swearing, and making fun of people.  I wouldn't last 10 minutes in that gym.  ;D 

Seriously, that's insane.  I have never heard of the rule about tank tops and sports bras.  How can they MAKE you wear sleeves when you work out?  What if you get really really hot?!?!  I almost always train in a sleeveless top...even if I feel like a fattie.

I swear, when I hear this kind of stuff, it makes me want to go into a gym like that and break every rule possible, and see what they do/say to me.  I'll give them a SCOWL like they have never seen before!
It's unfortunate that Golds is going this way too... everyone is trying to cater to the "fitness club" crowd, which apparently consists of people who like to hang out at gyms but not actually train.  ::)

:)

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 12:05:50 PM »
i belong to Gold's here in the Bay Area, CA. Nothing of the sort has been instituted at all. :-\

calmus

• Getbig IV
  • Time is luck.
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 12:06:40 PM »
I work out all over the place (the world, literally) and I never heard of such a thing. Maybe in the Middle East.

CQ

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • TGT
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 01:15:43 PM »

Did they REALLY kick you out Tamme?  For good?  Or just until you came back with more clothes on?  Seems like you are the kind of person they would WANT in their gym with as few clothes on as possible!   Sounds as bad as Planet Fitness.   :o

Those rules are ridiculous!!  I break about 75% of them on a daily basis...particularly the ones about scowling, being unfriendly, hogging equipment, grunting or screaming while lifting, DEADLIFTING (WTF!?!?!), showing too much skin, spending more than 30 mins on cardio machines, wearing tank tops, swearing, and making fun of people.  I wouldn't last 10 minutes in that gym.  ;D 

Seriously, that's insane.  I have never heard of the rule about tank tops and sports bras.  How can they MAKE you wear sleeves when you work out?  What if you get really really hot?!?!  I almost always train in a sleeveless top...even if I feel like a fattie.

I swear, when I hear this kind of stuff, it makes me want to go into a gym like that and break every rule possible, and see what they do/say to me.  I'll give them a SCOWL like they have never seen before!
It's unfortunate that Golds is going this way too... everyone is trying to cater to the "fitness club" crowd, which apparently consists of people who like to hang out at gyms but not actually train.  ::)

Hate to be crass, but that is exactly what I thought. I think it is safe to say that the male membership did not agree with this lol.

Was the manager like a old ugly hag or something [seriously]?

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 01:45:01 PM »
I just got kicked out of our local gold's gym because I was wearing a sports bra!!!  They just came out with these new rules..... Is it just me or are these rules ridiculous!!

No Scowling

Being unfriendly

Not carrying a towel

Not wiping off equipment

Hogging equipment

Not racking weights

Showing too much skin

Talking on cell phones

Swearing

Playing MP3 too loud

Making fun of people

Some of these make sense the some are stupid........ this is a gym and a "gold's gym" at that!!

I love to hear what people think about this (posted this on another site to see what other sites think of this also)

Sounds terrible.  When i first started working out it was at a what was later to become Ballys and they had a no tanktop rule.

Have to say I sometimes wish the gym i worked out at now had the same rule.  Too many twinks walking around in thier x-small tank tops and underarmor shirts.

TameMe

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2008, 01:52:16 PM »
Okay I feel much better.  I thought I was being extremely hormonal or too low of carbs.  I was wearing a regular sports bra and a pair of pants and was told I was not allowed to return until I put some clothes on.....  I'm sorry but Nebraska in the mid of summer is 100+ degrees, sleeves are going to be waaaay annoying.  And no dead lifts??  I do tons of straight leg dead lifts!!

Of coarse I'm under contract so I can't cancel.

From what I understand these rules have only been implemented on the clubs Joel Potter own.  I think he has 4 in the Midwest.

danielson

• Getbig V
  • Basile likes young lads
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2008, 02:02:55 PM »

No Scowling

Being unfriendly

Not carrying a towel

Not wiping off equipment

Hogging equipment

Not racking weights

Showing too much skin

Talking on cell phones

Swearing

Playing MP3 too loud

Making fun of people

Sounds like reasonable rules to me. We need more gyms like this, the era of the meathead is long gone.
E

jtsunami

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • I support Bigbobs
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2008, 02:50:46 PM »

Did they REALLY kick you out Tamme?  For good?  Or just until you came back with more clothes on?  Seems like you are the kind of person they would WANT in their gym with as few clothes on as possible!  Sounds as bad as Planet Fitness.   :o

:o :o  I don't think I could workout at your gym while you wearing lifting, I would be bumping into equipment while staring lol.

jt
TEAM Nasser

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2008, 03:01:33 PM »
:o :o  I don't think I could workout at your gym while you wearing lifting, I would be bumping into equipment while staring lol.

jt

I'm sure Rip would find that appealling, a guy she never met, staring at her the whole time.  You know how to get impress them champ!

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2008, 03:16:20 PM »
No sports bras?  Sound like a bunch of perverts to me.

Don't run on the treadmill :o

Seriously though, why no deadlifting ???
R

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2008, 04:40:13 AM »
I think no deadlifting probably b/c they don't want any plates banging on the floor.  But that's ridiculous, because I am sure they have those rubberized plates.  ::)

Alot of Gold's Gyms are moving in this direction.  Four of the bigger Golds in this area just turned into "Latitudes Fitness Clubs."

TameMe

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2008, 04:52:43 AM »
Alot of Gold's Gyms are moving in this direction.  Four of the bigger Golds in this area just turned into "Latitudes Fitness Clubs."

That's my point, if you don't like the "gold's gym" reputation then change the name......  implementing some extreme rules will only do so much, it's still a "gold's gym" when the day is over and the reputation remains the same.

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2008, 04:54:27 AM »

No Scowling

Being unfriendly

Not carrying a towel

Not wiping off equipment

Hogging equipment

Not racking weights

Showing too much skin

Talking on cell phones

Swearing

Playing MP3 too loud

Making fun of people

That is ridiculous especially considering that Gold's is a hardcore gym. Some of those rules were ok but 90% of them are stupid and uncalled for. I can see that gym closing soon. People will not tolerate that. Ha...getting kicked out for wearing a sports bra...now I heard it all. I would quit, get a signed copy that you quit and go to another gym. To hell with them.

Deadpool

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2008, 07:07:31 PM »
I did this a while ago actually on Gen topics  :-\
X

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2008, 04:24:49 AM »
That's my point, if you don't like the "gold's gym" reputation then change the name......  implementing some extreme rules will only do so much, it's still a "gold's gym" when the day is over and the reputation remains the same.

That's true.  I think that Golds is actually losing alot of franchise gyms right now.  I was talking to a guy last night who was telling me that a bunch of Golds in the midwest just changed over to Urban-something.  He is working on 30 of them right now, and he said that there will be 50.  I have heard that the franchise fees to use the "Golds" name are insane. 

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2008, 06:09:44 AM »

That's true.  I think that Golds is actually losing alot of franchise gyms right now.  I was talking to a guy last night who was telling me that a bunch of Golds in the midwest just changed over to Urban-something.  He is working on 30 of them right now, and he said that there will be 50.  I have heard that the franchise fees to use the "Golds" name are insane. 

Same thing happened to Powerhouse gyms here in the mid-west.  To get that wide base of members they had to shed the hardcore image.  I have trained in a few golds and some were pretty mainstream and far from hard core, must depend on owners and location.

The gym I belong to now and actually the whole chain was formerly Powerhouse. At least when the owners changed and dropped the Powerhouse franchise they stayed fairly true to thier hardcore roots.  The new members have watered it down substantially, but they still dont mind if someone grunts, they have a DL platform, they will not freak too bad if you have chalk or drop a weight or two.  They pretty much let you do what you want, so I guess i cant complain too much.

Deadpool

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2008, 06:43:21 AM »
powerhouse was the best at one time

world gym bought by Planet fitness

best bet: lift hard at home.  ;)
X

jtsunami

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • I support Bigbobs
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2008, 10:13:20 AM »

You have the scoop on all the leading industry news girl, thanks for letting us know, that is very interesting.

jt
TEAM Nasser

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2008, 12:19:26 PM »
Same thing happened to Powerhouse gyms here in the mid-west.  To get that wide base of members they had to shed the hardcore image.  I have trained in a few golds and some were pretty mainstream and far from hard core, must depend on owners and location.

The gym I belong to now and actually the whole chain was formerly Powerhouse. At least when the owners changed and dropped the Powerhouse franchise they stayed fairly true to thier hardcore roots.  The new members have watered it down substantially, but they still dont mind if someone grunts, they have a DL platform, they will not freak too bad if you have chalk or drop a weight or two.  They pretty much let you do what you want, so I guess i cant complain too much.

Our old Powerhouse turned into a "Retro Fitness"  ::).  The gym itself really didn't change all that much, but it was amazing to watch the membership change once the name did.  They must have run some sort of promotion with the new name because we got a ton of NOOBs into the gym, and they brought in a few personal trainers.  And that was pretty much it...the members who had been there for quite a while started leaving, including us.  That's when we joined Gold's.  Now, we are at the most hardcore-sounding place of them all...The Workout Club!   ;D

Actually I love our gym...they let us do whatever we want, and they are fascinated by things like chains and boards and bench press shirts.  Just goes to show it's not all about the name!

You have the scoop on all the leading industry news girl, thanks for letting us know, that is very interesting.

jt

This made me LOL  ;D

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2008, 04:23:10 PM »

Been going to my Golds all week, and nothing. I've even asked a few of the members, employees and even the manager who has been there for more than a decade. He said he hasn't heard anything. But the latter could be withholding, I wouldn't expect him to tell me- but I'd hope.

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2008, 04:30:38 PM »

Could never stay motivated training at home. 

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2008, 05:39:04 AM »
Could never stay motivated training at home. 

Me neither.  I have cardio at home, and it's hard enough to motivate to do that! 

JediKnight

• Getbig IV
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2008, 07:52:22 AM »

Little lady, maybe it's time you take your training more serious. A lot of people were rooting for you and you flaked on everyone.  Forget lifting at home, forget the crazy meals, just start training smarter, listen to other's advice also. Go workout at the gym instead of making tshirts.