Author Topic: At Obama’s Church, Chicago Minister Says Clinton Felt ‘White’ Entitlement  (Read 3266 times)

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
How do you define Bible thumper?  He claims to be very religious:

"I've been to the same church _ the same Christian church _ for almost 20 years," Obama said, stressing the word Christian and drawing cheers from the faithful in reply. "I was sworn in with my hand on the family Bible. Whenever I'm in the United States Senate, I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America. So if you get some silly e-mail ... send it back to whoever sent it and tell them this is all crazy. Educate."

. . .

One piece features photos of Obama praying with the words "COMMITTED CHRISTIAN" in large letters across the middle. It says Obama will be a president "guided by his Christian faith" and includes a quote from him saying, "I believe in the power of prayer."

A second piece, which like the first doesn't mention the Muslim rumor, includes photos of Obama with his family and a caption that says they are active members of Trinity United Church of Christ in Chicago. It explains how as a young man Obama "felt a beckoning of the spirit and accepted Jesus Christ into his life."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22767392/

Thanks for those quotes.

Seems like the next US president may be some religious nut, just like the current.

Is he gonna "hear the voice of God" about decisions just like Bush did as well? ::)

As empty as paradise

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
If Obama is who he says he is, he should break ties with this radical church.  There is no more arguments about this church...they are radical, overly dramatic, critical with negative generalizations about whites and mix religion with left wing politics.

Calmus, you sure like to follow me around here & criticize.  If you think what this church is doing is good for this country, you and I are from two different worlds.  Apparently, you enjoy seeing our country crumble from the inside.  To answer your question, I have written criticism about some racist remarks here but some are so stupid, I just ignore them.  This issue with the church is different because it is public and concerns someone who very well could be our next president.  Believe me, if some racist mother f-cker insulted one of my black friends in my presence, I'd knock their jaw through the back of their f'n head.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Thanks for those quotes.

Seems like the next US president may be some religious nut, just like the current.

Is he gonna "hear the voice of God" about decisions just like Bush did as well? ::)

No problem mang. 

Every serious presidential candidate and every president in recent memory has publicly proclaimed to be a Christian and/or have a belief/faith in God.  It's an unwritten requirement to run and be elected in this country.  (And yes there is a prohibition on religious tests for public office in the Constitution.) 

calmus

• Getbig IV
  • Time is luck.
DOn't flatter yourself. I just saw a statement in one of the more recently posted threads I thought was hypocritical. 

Everybody's got a best friend who's black who makes it all right for them to ignore racism on institutional and other macro levels.  Guess what? No, it doesn't.  it's a wrong that needs to be addressed at every level. i see it here all the time, and I've never seen you once do a thing about it.  I'm not saying you're a racist, as you probably are not. I'm just saying you need to do more to help. We all need to do more.

P.S. I actually don't have any black friends.  There's a dude whose mom is from W. Africa at the place I work, but he's not very friendly. Apart from that, i rarely run into black people.  There's a reason for that- institutional racism.

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Fair enough.  There is still some institutional racism, but this country has come a long way!  There's far more fairness than racism.  In the hospitals and gov/city jobs I've seen, it can work the opposite with reverse racism as well. 

You gotta get out more man.  Actually, I find that many people on the far left have very little in common or experience with the poor or poorly educated people they fight for.  FYI, I grew up straight middle class in a family with old European values.  I spent a lot of my time in the boxing gym, wrestling and lifting...I didn't have some of the nice things other kids did, I didn't want them even if I could have afforded them. 

When I went to college & post grad, I lived in the city for several yrs.  I also bounced in a huge dance club dowtown for several yrs, which was pretty rough.  Lot of gang bangers came in.  One of the houses my buddies & I rented was a few blocks out of a ghetto area...we were the only white kids on the street.  That was an eye opener, to see how different some poor people live.  We got several windows broken in our house, caught a guy trying to steal one of my roommate's car, other various shit like that.  First day moving there, a crack dealer asked if we needed any drugs...hahaha.  The guy across the street had some mental condition and used to yell at the birds.  Cars with bass driving by at all hrs, empty 40s constantly left in the streets.  Then I moved to an appt right next to section 8 housing, a similar experience (it was cheap & I had no $ at the time).  So, I've seen the uglier side.  Also have had the great experience of having many close black friends who I had tons in common with, usually met though a connection in weightlifting, fighting or music.  Experience is the greatest teacher.

I was taught from a young age to have an insane work ethic, to sacrifice, to better oneself and those around you, and to acheive.  Those are my core beliefs.  I don't understand entitlement, laziness, racism of any kind, overt materialism, or poor efforts.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
I definitely believe that there are structural problems that prohibits the blacks and the hispanics from succeeding in life.

I recently came across a study that showed how expensive it is for the state to let a person grow up into a criminal life.

The missed tax, the crimes commited et al, the total cost for each of these individuals is cerca $5-6 millions.

The investment it would take is in comparison minimal: the study suggested that a targeted investment in problem kids and youths with $ 200 per year would be effective.

Used for social workers, special teachers, et al.

The fact that blacks and hispanics are lagging isn't just a black and hispanic problem.

It's a big ass problem for the US economy.

As empty as paradise

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Experience is the greatest teacher.

Absolutely. 

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Absolutely...but its a cultural problem more than anything these days.  You must have good core values, good work ethic, want to do well, have good role models that encourage & give hope, an atmosphere that supports education and family to have successful people.  You also have to get beyond collectivism as they have done in some other countries/large cities.  

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Absolutely...but its a cultural problem more than anything these days.  You must have good core values, good work ethic, want to do well, have good role models that encourage & give hope, an atmosphere that supports education and family to have successful people.  You also have to get beyond collectivism as they have done in some other countries/large cities.  

I agree for the most part.  I don't think any culture teaches people to be underachievers, criminals, etc., but I agree with everything else. 

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Well, criminal behavior is mostly learned.  Some criminals steal to survive, but thats a minority.

Its not that a particular culture strives to teach one to be an underachiever, people usually adapt and learn from their surroundings.  If thats the prevailing attitude around you, its hard to break the cycle.  Thats not specific to any race...but it is common with socioeconomic class and some inner city areas.  The people that I've seen break that cycle & succeed either had good families, good teachers, mentors, learned behaviors from certain groups or sports, etc.  Thats why throwing $ at them problem, particularly when it is not used correctly, rarely helps.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com

before he invaded iraq, bush did NOT consult with Defense secreatary Donald Rumsfeld.

but he admits he did ask god for advice.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Well, criminal behavior is mostly learned.  Some criminals steal to survive, but thats a minority.

Its not that a particular culture strives to teach one to be an underachiever, people usually adapt and learn from their surroundings.  If thats the prevailing attitude around you, its hard to break the cycle.  Thats not specific to any race...but it is common with socioeconomic class and some inner city areas.  The people that I've seen break that cycle & succeed either had good families, good teachers, mentors, learned behaviors from certain groups or sports, etc.  Thats why throwing $ at them problem, particularly when it is not used correctly, rarely helps.

Ah so.  I agree.  I thought you were using "culture" to define race or ethnic groups. 

I have spent a lot of time in the inner city and rural, low income areas I know exactly what you're talking about.  It is a vicious cycle. 

[Edited for the grammar Nazi]  

calmus

• Getbig IV
  • Time is luck.
Ah so.  I agree.  I thought you were using "culture" to define race or ethnic groups. 

I have spent a lot of time in the inner city and rural, low income areas I know exactly what you're talking about.  It is viscous cycle.   

Yeah, the viscosity is amazing.   :-*

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Grammar Nazi!  hahaha.

calmus

• Getbig IV
  • Time is luck.
that's not grammar. it's not even the same word.  It's a sign of someone who uses spell-check to sound smart.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Jun 3, 9:29 PM EDT

Priest who mocked Clinton told to take a leave

By SOPHIA TAREEN
Associated Press Writer

CHICAGO (AP) -- Cardinal Francis George asked a Chicago priest on Tuesday to temporarily step down from his post to "reflect on his recent statements" regarding Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton and her bid for the White House.

Last week, the Rev. Michael Pfleger mocked Clinton at Sen. Barack Obama's former church, saying the New York senator felt "entitled" to the Democratic nomination for president.

In a guest sermon at Trinity United Church of Christ, Pfleger pretended he was Clinton crying over "a black man stealing my show."

Pfleger's sermon, along with past controversial statements by Trinity's former longtime pastor, the Rev. Jeremiah Wright, led Obama to resign his membership at Trinity. Pfleger apologized for his comments Sunday.

George asked Pfleger to take leave from pastoral duties at St. Sabina Church in order to "reflect on his recent statements and actions in the light of the church's regulations for all Catholic priests," according to a statement Tuesday from the Archdiocese of Chicago.

Officials have said the Catholic Church does not endorse political candidates.

The leave was effective Tuesday and was scheduled to last about two weeks, said Archdiocese spokeswoman Susan Burritt.

"This is the Cardinal's way of hopefully relieving some of the pressure, to step away and reflect a little bit. That is the intent here," she said. "This has been a difficult week in light of everything that's happened."

Pfleger, who has promised George he would no longer mention any presidential candidates by name, did not believe "this to be the right step at this time," according to the statement.

"While respecting his disagreement, I have nevertheless asked him to use this opportunity to reflect," George said in the statement. "I hope that this period will also be a time away from the public spotlight and for rest and attention to family concerns."

A message seeking comment was left for Pfleger.

Pfleger, a 59-year-old white priest at a largely black parish, has gained a reputation for impassioned sermons and activism. The Archdiocese said his temporary replacement is the Rev. William Vanecko, pastor of Chicago's St. Kilian Catholic Church.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/O/OBAMA_PFLEGER?SITE=HIHAD&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT