Author Topic: Steroids in shades of gray  (Read 2369 times)

BayGBM

• Getbig V
Steroids in shades of gray
« on: May 30, 2008, 09:14:42 AM »
Steroids in shades of gray

You’d expect a documentary about anabolic steroids circa 2008 to be heavy on the dark side of the substance — the horrific side effects when abused, how it’s infiltrating youth athletics, the way it’s ruined elite and professional sports competition, etc.

Don't be so quick to judge "Bigger, Stronger, Faster," a new movie debuting Friday in New York and Los Angeles (the film opens wide in June and July). Director Christopher Bell has colored the movie in a palette of grays, even presenting a credible argument that maybe steroids aren’t the devil-spawn drugs some believe them to be.

"I had two brothers on steroids during the making of the film," says Bell, a USC film school grad from Poughkeepsie, N.Y., who did a stint working at Gold’s Gym in Venice and directed the short film "Billy Jones." Bell, who does a Michael Moore/Morgan Spurlock turn and appears in the film, originally considered documenting gym culture, but his brothers were willing to talk about their own steroid use to present another side of the story. "Also," says Bell, "at the time Congress was saying it was a black and white issue, and going through my life as a power lifter and being around steroids, I knew there was a gray area, and I wanted to present it in a different way."

He has, interviewing athletes, fitness models, doctors and sports fans about their attitude toward steroids. The film presents a mixed bag of facts, emotions and misinformation that will likely have even hard-liners reconsidering their views. For example, Bell points out that different forms of steroids are legally and routinely used in healthcare, and that " 'roid rage" isn’t a well-documented medical phenomenon. And although steroids, supplements and human growth hormone have horribly tainted elite and professional sports (as financial stakes stretch higher and higher), Bell makes the case that Americans like their sports heroes big and strong, and expects them to be winners. So aren’t we complicit in this as well?"

"As an athlete," says Bell, "you invest so much time and energy into pursuing your dream, and then all of a sudden you come to a crossroads — do you throw away all that time and effort, or be the person who wins at all costs? I found people on both sides of the coin. ... We always say that cheaters never prosper, but the people who are doing (steroids) are the people who are winning. It’s hard to tell people not to do it when they’re victorious. But if we want them to stop, are we doing anything to stop it?

At the heart of the film is the toll steroid use takes on Bell’s own family. In the film, Bell’s older brother Mike (nicknamed "Mad Dog") wants a shot at World Wrestling Entertainment fame, while the younger, Mark (nicknamed "Smelly") coaches high school and competes in power lifting. Their use of the substance is a source of consternation among family members, but we see the parents cheering wildly at competitions. It’s a scenario that’s undoubtedly being played out in various forms in many families.

Bell, by the way, hasn’t budged on his stance on ’roids: "I always thought it was cheating and against the rules and that people shouldn’t do it," he says. "If people learned more about nutrition and training, they’d be way better off."

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1151309/

I'll watch it when it's available on Netflix.

Brutal_1

• Getbig V
  • Your best is...
Re: Steroids in shades of gray
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 10:34:48 AM »

"I had two brothers on steroids during the making of the film," says Bell, a USC film school grad from Poughkeepsie, N.Y., who did a stint working at Gold’s Gym in Venice and directed the short film "Billy Jones." Bell, who does a Michael Moore/Morgan Spurlock turn and appears in the film, originally considered documenting gym culture, but his brothers were willing to talk about their own steroid use to present another side of the story. "Also," says Bell, "at the time Congress was saying it was a black and white issue, and going through my life as a power lifter and being around steroids, I knew there was a gray area, and I wanted to present it in a different way."

There's your proof that it will be good  8)
just not good enough

Mars

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 10:42:20 AM »
people in gay scene use lots of steroids because they already know they gonna die fast.

musclehedz

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008, 11:23:15 AM »
It will be totally ignored by the mainstream media. Funded by the various sport organizations.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2008, 11:12:20 AM »

Meltdown

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2008, 07:32:22 PM »
Didn't a guy who was selling Drugs just recently kill his girlfriend and himself or that is what the law would have us believe.And there was another couple called Titus and then there was a Little guy called Fox and a few others not so well known.Nah Steroids are great for a healthy Body and Mind. ::)

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2008, 09:43:30 PM »
Didn't a guy who was selling Drugs just recently kill his girlfriend and himself or that is what the law would have us believe.And there was another couple called Titus and then there was a Little guy called Fox and a few others not so well known.Nah Steroids are great for a healthy Body and Mind. ::)

haha clearly a steroid user stole your woman, why else would you be so anti steroid on a pro bodybuilding forum?

E
E

Meltdown

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2008, 11:07:32 PM »
No not anti but why use and abuse if not competitive???Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Purple Aki

• Getbig IV
  • penisory contact with her volvo.
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2008, 11:12:54 PM »
people in gay scene use lots of steroids because they already know they gonna die fast.

Heh!

TechnoViking

• Getbig V
  • Too weird to live, too rare to die...----HST
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2008, 11:13:52 PM »
No not anti but why use and abuse if not competitive???Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

why do women get fake boobs?...Why bother to comb your hair in the morning?

Meltdown

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2008, 11:22:38 PM »
why do women get fake boobs?...Why bother to comb your hair in the morning?
                 Fake Boobs are just like a Bicep full of Synthol Fuked Up.

candidizzle

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= TRB953
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2008, 11:33:13 PM »
meltdown, what do you think about lee priests once in his column going off on the anti-steroid camp and saying "whats so wrong with joe blow college freshaman wanting to get a little pumped before spring break " ?

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2008, 11:40:56 PM »
Im looking foward to seeing this. I wonder if it will come to Australia?
No doubt about it...

steveeray

• Getbig III
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2008, 11:57:46 PM »

I'm not gay bashing but why would this film be shown
in the gayist part of town.
The dude 2 seats down kept flirting with me.
WTF

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2008, 07:29:16 AM »
I'm not gay bashing but why would this film be shown
in the gayist part of town.
The dude 2 seats down kept flirting with me.
WTF

Probably because juicing just for the sake of looking good and having cosmetic muscles is a pretty gay thing to do.  :-\

gordiano

• Getbig V
  • TEAM "CUTE PENIS", TEAM TRIFLIN' RONNIE COLEMAN
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2008, 10:56:06 AM »
Probably because juicing just for the sake of looking good and having cosmetic muscles is a pretty gay thing to do.  :-\

HAHAHAHA!

But you forgot the kicker, Bay.....juicing so you can oil up, pump up, and be more muscular for a crowd of men..... :-\ :-X
HAHA, RON.....

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2008, 11:05:03 AM »

HAHAHAHA!

But you forgot the kicker, Bay.....juicing so you can oil up, pump up, and be more muscular for a crowd of men..... :-\ :-X

Now, that's über gay!  Not that there is anything wrong with that.   :D

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2008, 01:02:34 PM »

HAHAHAHA!

ever notice how you always agree with an openly gay man :-\

E
E

Zaphod

• Getbig IV
  • IFBB Mr Canada 1970
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2008, 01:18:14 PM »
Bell, by the way, hasn’t budged on his stance on ’roids: "I always thought it was cheating and against the rules and that people shouldn’t do it," he says. "If people learned more about nutrition and training, they’d be way better off."

fuck that shit

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2008, 03:37:44 PM »
A trailer from the movie...

http://www.biggerstrongerfastermovie.com/

The best part is that freak FBB saying "I want to stay feminine". What kind of mirror are they using?

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2008, 03:48:49 PM »
The best part is that freak FBB saying "I want to stay feminine". What kind of mirror are they using?

LOL that was pretty funny/odd.  She gave up being feminine several cycles ago.  Can anyone (but her) call her feminine with a straight face?!?!?

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2008, 04:55:10 PM »
LOL that was pretty funny/odd.  She gave up being feminine several cycles ago.  Can anyone (but her) call her feminine with a straight face?!?!?

Her FBB friends would undoubtedly. Have you ever heard an FBB say she's masculine? No, they are always feminine and it's always someone else who is abusing and masculine.

Meltdown

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2008, 05:00:51 PM »
Doesn't the beard give it away on most FBBs.They have Clits the size of a small cock another dead giveaway.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2008, 06:30:06 PM »
"I want to stay feminine..." 

Um, ok. 

Meltdown

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2008, 08:34:07 PM »
That has to be a MAN. Fuk is that thing UGLY.