Author Topic: McCain's VP choice: Crist  (Read 1907 times)

BayGBM

• Getbig V
McCain's VP choice: Crist
« on: May 30, 2008, 03:48:03 PM »
In certain circles in FL, governor Charlie Crist is believed to be gay; he has been dogged by those rumors for some time now.  After a long period of being single he now has a new girlfriend.  A cynic would say that he is about to be named McCain’s running mate…

Gov. Crist's new girlfriend has varied background
By Tim Collie

She's a philanthropist, patron of the arts, Georgetown honors grad and a Manhattan socialite.

But Gov. Charlie Crist's new girlfriend wouldn't be above selling him a Roman toga, a plastic pirate sword or a fake knife that sticks out of your head.

That's because Carole Rome is the scion of the oldest Halloween costume company in the United States.

Rome, 38, who has been dating Crist at least since November, stepped further into the spotlight last weekend when she accompanied the governor to U.S. Sen. John McCain's Arizona ranch on Memorial Day weekend.

That event was widely interpreted as a vetting of Crist and two other candidates for a vice presidential spot on the Republican ticket.

And depending on how serious they are, that puts Rome, a Fisher Island divorcee, very close to the seat of power in both the Sunshine State and the United States...

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/florida/sfl-530cristgirlfriend,0,1315831.story

CARTEL

• Getbig V
  • Have a good time, all the time.
Re: McCain's VP choice: Christ
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 03:57:50 PM »
I thought you meant Jesus.

calmus

• Getbig IV
  • Time is luck.
Re: McCain's VP choice: Crist
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 04:12:23 PM »

This thread was more interesting when Christ was going to be McCain's VP

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008, 04:21:11 PM »
This thread was more interesting when Christ was going to be McCain's VP

I figured he was,  becuase God guided BUSH so why would he guide McCain?

calmus

• Getbig IV
  • Time is luck.
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2008, 04:26:51 PM »
 ;D

For some reason the phrase "God/Jesus is my copilot" keeps popping into my head. Was there a book or movie by that title?

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2008, 05:05:07 PM »
Check out the reader comments on the article... everyone in FL knows about Charlie... why even bother with this charade of having a girlfriend?!?!?

http://www.topix.net/forum/source/south-florida-sun-sentinel/T918PI6715C34HA6K

oh no! another McGreavy case in the making! LOL When will people learn?

Why do men in politics have to have a women on their arm? can't they stand up on their own feet?
this looks to contrived that it's pitiful. The Repubs will do anything to appease the conservatives for votes.
Charlie, please be real!!!!!!!

Oh my!
Who are these people trying to fool!!!

This man is GAY! not that is anything wrong with that....

As someone said earlier, Crist isn't ever asked if he's bisexual or if he has ever had sexual relations with a man. Larry Craig was never asked those questions either. Instead, they are asked if they are "gay," which could mean several things, and in their minds, they think they are not, so they answer, truthfully, "no." The sad thing is, this "girlfriend" is clearly a ploy for him to get the VP spot, and most of his GOP supporters, as they have in the past, will likely fall for this. I don't think the media outside of Florida will buy it even if the national Republicans do. You have to believe that McCain's people told him no chance unless he's got a wife or girlfriend. Pathetic is what Crist is, and so are we for having him as a do-nothing governor.

::)

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2008, 05:36:35 PM »
closet case

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2008, 11:50:25 PM »
I live in FL, and its always been kinda common knowledge.  He seems to be doing a decent job.

Mccain is choosing Romney.  I am sure of that.  Remember how critical romney was of him during the final debates?  Why invite your arch-enemy to your house, unless you need him, his money, and his right-wing base to win the general?

besides, if Crist runs, I am sure there will be religious 527 groups going crazy.  You know somewhere, somehow, there are partners that'll come fwd, or a pic will emerge... something undeniable to sink him.  You can't be gay for 30 years and not leave tracks somewhere.

personally, I could care less if he's gay.  I'm not sure how our allies would view it.

Mccain picks romney.  Duh.

calmus

• Getbig IV
  • Time is luck.
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2008, 11:53:34 PM »
I live in FL, and its always been kinda common knowledge.  He seems to be doing a decent job.

Mccain is choosing Romney.  I am sure of that.  Remember how critical romney was of him during the final debates?  Why invite your arch-enemy to your house, unless you need him, his money, and his right-wing base to win the general?

besides, if Crist runs, I am sure there will be religious 527 groups going crazy.  You know somewhere, somehow, there are partners that'll come fwd, or a pic will emerge... something undeniable to sink him.  You can't be gay for 30 years and not leave tracks somewhere.

personally, I could care less if he's gay.  I'm not sure how our allies would view it.

Mccain picks romney.  Duh.

You're probably right, RO

However, mormons are in the press for all the wrong reasons these days.  I'm not sure Romney gets conservatives out of bed as easily as crazy man Huckabee.

Funny, Huckabee didn't get invited to spend the weekend, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2008, 11:56:24 PM »
You're probably right, RO

However, mormons are in the press for all the wrong reasons these days.  I'm not sure Romney gets conservatives out of bed as easily as crazy man Huckabee.

Funny, Huckabee didn't get invited to spend the weekend, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Romney is more handsome and has better hair, Ro.

Also, Romney can put in about $200 million dollars into the campaign.  McCain's campaign is starving for cash.  They had to make several public fundraisers, into private fundraisers this week, because attendance was so poor.   Obama is going to CRUSH mcCain on donors.  Who has $ to donate to "more of the same", besides a small group of rich folks, who are limited in what they can donate?

Romney will buy the veep slot and plan to inherit the Pres seat after 4 years.  However, historically, there is no way mccain will win the election, with the economy in the shitter and it being a change/end of war election.

calmus

• Getbig IV
  • Time is luck.
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2008, 12:02:17 AM »
Good point.  Romney won't have to go to his pocket if he's on the ticket. he's a proven fundraiser (hello Mormons), and is probably the only man who can help McCain compete with the Obama fundraising machine.  Well, Bush could probably do it, but going with Romney is probably the lesser of two evils.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2008, 12:04:53 AM »
Mccain only interviewed Jindal to show he likes brown people.
Mccain only interviewed Crist to flirt with Florida, and flirt with gay undecided voters.

He's going to pick the guy who brings $, religious ties, economic credibility, and that presidential look.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2008, 07:05:52 AM »
Does Romney have a right wing base?  I think not.  The right does not trust Romney as a true conservative because he has proven to be a self-serving flip flopper. He championed gay rights when he ran as governor of Massachusetts, supported a woman’s right to choose, etc.  Yes, he has money, but he does not bring a Conservative base.  Huckabee is the one that does that.

btw, you can be gay for 30 years and not leave tracks.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2008, 09:10:49 AM »
I heard about him being gay years ago.  It isn't exactly a secret or anything.

anyway, with mccain's lack of morals (calling wife a c-word in public, leaving first wife sick to cheat with young rich girl, and the slutty lobbyist who rode along nonstop for a year.... he could use a guy like Mitt with smily wife and kids.

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2008, 10:14:57 AM »
Crist back in the day

R

calmus

• Getbig IV
  • Time is luck.
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2008, 10:16:13 AM »
Crist back in the day

I hope you noted that I was addressed as Ro in this thread.

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2008, 10:17:25 AM »
I hope you noted that I was addressed as Ro in this thread.
YEs, very impressive ;D
R

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2008, 12:40:03 PM »
Crist's sexual preferences don't matter one bit to me...but they probably will to the far right, who are already dissatisfied with McCain.  I'll bet he picks Romney too...not a bad choice IMO, particularly with the economy in need of a boost.

By the way, the economy grew again last month, slightly better than predicted and up a bit higher than economist predicted for the whole 1st quarter.  If we could reduce expendatures in Iraq, things could turn around.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2008, 10:04:36 AM »
Sen. McCain says Gov. Crist has enough experience to be Vice President
By Adam C. Smith, St. Petersburg Times
12:45 PM EDT, June 5, 2008

Charlie Crist may not yet have a full gubernatorial term under his belt, but Sen. John McCain said Wednesday that Crist has enough experience to be vice president.

``Oh, I am sure that in many respects Charlie Crist is qualified. He's had other offices. As we know, he was attorney general as well. This is a big and diverse state,'' McCain said in an interview Wednesday evening before a $1,000-per-person private fundraising reception.

``But we haven't moved anywhere on the process that he would be under,'' the presumptive Republican presidential nominee stressed. ``We have a large number of people that we are considering, but I just don't mention anybody's name because then it starts a process that could end up in an invasion of their privacy.''

In a taped interview to air Sunday on Political Connections on Bay News 9, McCain said he will reach out to supporters of Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton and noted his independence from President Bush on such issues as government spending and climate control.

``I promise them that I'll be the president of all the people, not just Republicans or anybody else, but all the people,'' McCain said. ``I realize that I have to get independents and Democrats if I'm going to win this election.''

He also decried the giant Confederate flag that's been proposed to fly near the intersection of Interstates 4 and 75 in Hills-borough County. McCain has faced this issue before, and has voiced profound regret for not taking a stand against a rebel flag atop the South Carolina statehouse during the 2000 GOP primary.

``It's a free country,'' McCain said of the flag in Hillsborough, but he said the Civil War memorial group behind the flag plans ``should consider the feelings and sensitivities on this issue at a time like this in America where we want to move forward.''

Now that the Democratic nominee has been chosen, McCain knows he faces an opponent in Sen. Barack Obama who is more inspiring and energetic on the stump. McCain isn't worried. ``I think people are very interested in substance, as well as style,'' he said.

McCain also struck on a theme of his campaign, suggesting Obama lacks the experience and knowledge to be president. But polls show a strong majority of American voters think invading Iraq was a mistake, which is what Obama said all along.

When asked if Obama showed better judgment in opposing the invasion, McCain defended the war as the right call because ``every intelligence agency in the world believed that ( Saddam Hussein) had weapons of mass destruction.''

What about Florida's Bob Graham, the former Senate Intelligence Committee chairman who argued at the time that invading Iraq would divert attention and resources from more urgent threats, particularly al-Qaida?

``I respect Sen. Graham enormously, but I don't think there's any doubt that Saddam Hussein, who had acquired and used weapons of mass destruction before, had invaded a neighbor, Kuwait, where we had to fight one war with him, that his intent was to acquire and use weapons of mass destruction,'' McCain replied.

The private fundraising reception at the Renaissance Vinoy Resort in St. Petersburg kicked off a three-day Florida swing, which includes a speech to newspaper editors in Orlando today and an event touting his environmental credentials in the Everglades on Friday.

Obama campaign spokesman Bill Burton dismissed McCain's efforts to cast himself as anything but a continuation of President Bush's agenda.

``While John McCain has a record of occasional independence from his party in the past, last year he chose to embrace 95 percent of George Bush's agenda, including his failed economic policies and his failed policy in Iraq,'' Burton said referring to McCain's voting record. ``No matter how hard he tries to spin it otherwise, that kind of record is simply not the change the American people are looking for or deserve.''

McCain said he supports the antigay marriage ballot initiatives in Florida and California, even though the Republican governors of both states have little interest in those efforts. While he voted against a federal marriage amendment proposal, McCain noted that he supported a similar initiative in his home state of Arizona, where voters rejected the idea.

``I think it's important to preserve the unique status of a marriage between men and women,'' McCain said. ``I respect the views of others who don't hold that view, but I also think that we have a process in our states to amend our constitutions to reflect the will of the majority of the people.''

CQ

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • TGT
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2008, 10:11:35 AM »
Mccain only interviewed Jindal to show he likes brown people.

Haha, yes he did. I expect Jindal to be trotted out here and there for window dressing during the campaign as well.

I think Romney seems a good bet. He is the anti-McCain - economic strength, looks good not all old and crusty with himself and like 240 said McCain is hardly a fund raising machine, and Romney can just cut checks.

Personally, forgive me for this, I kind of like Romney.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2008, 01:20:23 PM »
Haha, yes he did. I expect Jindal to be trotted out here and there for window dressing during the campaign as well.

I think Romney seems a good bet. He is the anti-McCain - economic strength, looks good not all old and crusty with himself and like 240 said McCain is hardly a fund raising machine, and Romney can just cut checks.

Personally, forgive me for this, I kind of like Romney.

Romney's been all over TV the last 2 days.

Have you guys seen Jindal on video?  he moves like a snake, all creepy and weird.  Plus he has a dark skin, dark complexion.  he's probably as dark as Obama.  For a party (repubs) who are going to do everything possible to demonize obama as muslim, having an indian on the ticket would be something they don't do.

Crist wants a cabinet position.  He knows he's relegated to being appointed, not elected.  FL overlooked his lifestyle choice because we're a repub state and the dem candidate sucked.  Utah and the bible belt won't be so kind.