Author Topic: What the fuck is going on with our immigration policy? Hey Scandinavians, are yo  (Read 924 times)

calmus

• Getbig IV
  • Time is luck.
ur countries as stupid as ours?

I have this kid from India interning.  He's almost done with a Ph.D in applied math, and is very Americanized as he has been here for a long time. However, because he has been here for a long time, he is terrified to go home to see his sick dad. His visa is expired, and he is convinced that if he leaves, the US Consulate in his country won't renew it because he has been here so long, which demonstrates an intent to immigrate.

What is wrong with him having an intent to immigrate?  He will be making upwards of 200 grand in a year or so, and will be a huge asset to this country. 

Why the fuck does the State department make life difficult for people like this?

youandme

• Getbig V
maybe you two should move to california and get married so he can stay

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
ur countries as stupid as ours?

I have this kid from India interning.  He's almost done with a Ph.D in applied math, and is very Americanized as he has been here for a long time. However, because he has been here for a long time, he is terrified to go home to see his sick dad. His visa is expired, and he is convinced that if he leaves, the US Consulate in his country won't renew it because he has been here so long, which demonstrates an intent to immigrate.

What is wrong with him having an intent to immigrate?  He will be making upwards of 200 grand in a year or so, and will be a huge asset to this country. 

Why the fuck does the State department make life difficult for people like this?

First of all, if his visa would expire over here, he would not be able to stay around. The police would come for his ass sooner rather than later.

You don't see the scenarios with huge numbers of illegal immigrants staying up here.

If he could show that he's employed by a big firm and is making good money, I'm sure he would get a visa and working permit.

As empty as paradise

calmus

• Getbig IV
  • Time is luck.
maybe you two should move to california and get married so he can stay

Maybe. He'd be more of an asset to this country than some macrocephalic freak who runs around quoting "Samuel Boswell Johnson"

calmus

• Getbig IV
  • Time is luck.

First of all, if his visa would expire over here, he would not be able to stay around. The police would come for his ass sooner rather than later.

You don't see the scenarios with huge numbers of illegal immigrants staying up here.

If he could show that he's employed by a big firm and is making good money, I'm sure he would get a visa and working permit.

I believe this is the case with him- going to school legally, but probably cannot reenter the country.

::) ::) ::) ::)

foreign students in the us need a valid visa to enter the country, after that their legal status here is determined solely by another piece of paper, usually an I-20 if they are in F1 status.  so one can be here on an expired visa and still considered legal.  in fact, foreign students can visit canada and mexico, and the caribbeans i think, on an expired visa and reenter the country if the visit lasts less than 30 days, it is called automatic visa revalidation.

War-Horse

• Getbig V
Its hard to see the good ones that can contribute kept out.  all the trash gets to stay and fly under the radar.

Dont the mexicans have a child here and then get to stay??  tell this kid to go check the oil in a chick and pop one out...problem solved.

calmus

• Getbig IV
  • Time is luck.

Dont the mexicans have a child here and then get to stay??  tell this kid to go check the oil in a chick and pop one out...problem solved.

ROFL.  He's working on a Ph.D in math, and he looks it too.  I doubt this dude has even kissed a girl (he's around 30) let alone checked the oil.

lol@ "check the oil"

War-Horse

• Getbig V
ROFL.  He's working on a Ph.D in math, and he looks it too.  I doubt this dude has even kissed a girl (he's around 30) let alone checked the oil.

lol@ "check the oil"

;D

youandme

• Getbig V
when are you guys tying the knot, your the catcher I suppose in the relationship?

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
when are you guys tying the knot, your the catcher I suppose in the relationship?

calmus is the pitcher.. Seems like that type.

Can't an employer sponser someone for a resident alien card or something? And I agree with you, we should make it easier for people who'll contribute to stay put. I mean we let Mexicans stay and all they do is mow lawns and drink Coronas.

calmus

• Getbig IV
  • Time is luck.
calmus is the pitcher.. Seems like that type.

Can't an employer sponser someone for a resident alien card or something? And I agree with you, we should make it easier for people who'll contribute to stay put. I mean we let Mexicans stay and all they do is mow lawns and drink Coronas.

We'll help him once he finishes his program.  But to finish his degree he needs to stay on his present visa. And that's the kicker.  he can't/won't? leave because he's worried they won't let him back. I looked up some stuff this morning, and it seems that chances are they would let him back in, but there is also the risk he runs into somebody's who's having a bad day and decides to take it out on him.  In which case he's pretty fucked.

The stuff I read said the policy is antiquated, but nothing is being done about it, which is fucking stupid, because we NEED guys like him, no two ways about it. If he's happy, he's more productive, and we all benefit.

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
The system is far from perfect.

One of our assistant wrestling/MMA coaches is from Russia.  We employed him and he is allowed to stay.  I don't know specifics, but thats basically what happened.
I believe there should be a faster process for good, hard working people like this to become citizens and that we must separate people that go the legal from the illegal route.