Author Topic: Scrutiny of Obama’s Congregation Could Set Tone for Future Elections  (Read 1434 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
They will both be answering questions during the general. 

Scrutiny of Obama’s Congregation Could Set Tone for Future Elections
by Judson Berger
Saturday, May 31, 2008

Barack Obama could be just days away from clinching the Democratic nomination, but don’t expect that to staunch the controversies over candidates and their congregations — this year or in any election.

The Illinois senator’s campaign has invited almost unprecedented scrutiny to a candidate’s religious background and associations. Obama’s pastor troubles were compounded this week by the Rev. Michael Pfleger, whose videotaped rant against Hillary Clinton at Obama’s church drew jeers from the presidential candidates.

In a political climate that increasingly puts candidates’ personal lives on display, the heightened focus this year on the influence of clergymen could leave an impression on future elections.

“Never before has a candidate’s pastor affiliations been so critical to his electability,” said Marc Lamont Hill, a professor at Temple University. “It was never personal to the extent that it is here.”

Religious controversy is hardly a new development in American politics. Throughout the country’s history, its presidents, though almost uniformly Protestant, have differed widely in their faith perspectives.

And when President Kennedy was running for the office, he faced concern that his Catholic faith meant he would take guidance directly from the Pope. Kennedy refuted that claim directly, and more recently, former Republican candidate Mitt Romney used Kennedy’s words as a backdrop when he publicly addressed concerns about his Mormon faith last December. Meanwhile, Obama, a Christian, faced false rumors about his Muslim ties.

But in Obama’s case, the shower of Internet videos showing the incendiary remarks of his pastor and other clergy at Trinity United Church of Christ in Chicago has raised the volume on discussions of clergy and the candidates.

Hill noted that Connecticut Sen. Joe Lieberman never faced such scrutiny of his Jewish faith and congregation when he ran on Al Gore’s ticket in 2000.

Part of the difference, Hill said, is that Obama is the first viable black presidential candidate, and “for black people in general, religion and politics are intimately linked.”

Besides what he saw as hints of racism, he said many voters just were not used to that blatant politicization of the pulpit.

Churches and synagogues across the country freely discuss political and social issues, such as abortion, gay marriage and the state of Israel. Black pastors often reference political candidates directly, and some run for local and national office themselves, including Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton.

But the blurring of those lines isn’t foreign to white churches and clergy. Evangelical icon Pat Robertson mounted an unsuccessful presidential campaign in 1988. Billy Graham counseled several U.S. presidents.

One recent development that factored into this year’s election is the accessibility of church services online. Obama’s congregation produces DVDs of sermons and sells them, making them easy to upload and share on sites like YouTube.

So when the Rev. Jeremiah Wright Jr., Obama’s former pastor, spoke from the pulpit suggesting the government created HIV as a way to exterminate black people and accusing Clinton of insensitivity to black issues, news media easily purchased the recordings and aired them, or just found them online.

Pfleger, a white Catholic priest, clearly was aware of the accessibility of his own words last Sunday when he theatrically accused Clinton of feeling entitled to the presidency because she’s white.

After imitating Clinton crying, he paused and said: “I’m sorry. I don’t wanna get you in any more trouble. The live streaming just went out again.”

Obama said he was deeply disappointed by the language Pfleger used, and Obama supporter Wisconsin Gov. Jim Doyle said, “I don’t think you can in any way attribute it to a candidate” when clergy make “crazy statements.”

But GOP candidate John McCain said the remarks were “unwarranted” and “disgraceful.” Clinton spokesman Howard Wolfson said Friday he still wants Obama to “specifically reject” Pfleger’s remarks about Clinton.

Thomas Reese, a Catholic priest and senior fellow at the Woodstock Theological Center at Georgetown University, said Pfleger is an anomaly, since most Catholic priests don’t mix politics with their church work.

But Reese posited that some of these recent developments are because “the religion issue has become bipartisan.”

He noted that Republicans like Ronald Reagan and George W. Bush knew how to galvanize religious voters, and he said Democrats are starting to catch on.

“I think the American public as a whole want a political leader who’s a believer,” he said.

And he said the more ministers get involved in politics, the more scrutiny they get.

He said Wright, and his “utterly insane” comments, have made the candidates’ ties to clergy a major issue in future elections.

The Wright narrative also played a role in the scrutiny McCain has experienced, Reese said. McCain recently split with Texas pastor John Hagee, whose comments critical of Catholics and gays brought negative attention to McCain’s campaign.

“Now I think that any clergyman who decides to endorse a candidate is going to find that his whole personal life … is going to be open to investigation,” Reese said. “I think it may have the happy result of getting people to think twice before endorsing candidates.”

Democratic strategist Bob Beckel told FOX News that for Obama’s own good, going into the general election, “It’s probably time for Barack Obama to get out (of his church).”

While some may scoff at such intense scrutiny of a candidate’s congregation, Hill, the Temple professor, said voters will benefit from knowing more about a politician’s religious background and place of worship.

“The idea of actually seeing where people worship and who preaches to them on Sunday morning, I think that’s incredibly important, because it gives us a sense of who they are,” he said.

http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/05/31/scrutiny-of-obamas-congregation-could-set-tone-for-future-elections/

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
hahahaha

Gas is $3.93 per gallon.
The economy sucks.
The war sucks and bin laden is still not caught.

But, people like beach bum - who spend the majority of their day reading obscure articles on gay marriage and calling people 'halfricans' - care more about some church than issues that matter.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
lol.  The rabid Chihuahua just loves me.   :)  Aren't you voting for the Halfrican American for president? 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
lol.  The rabid Chihuahua just loves me.   :)  Aren't you voting for the Halfrican American for president? 

hey Berserker/Ozmo,

This guy is using some racist terms.

isn't a moderator here? 

You guys condone that kinda talk, too?  Or do you just kinda tolerate it?

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
hey Berserker/Ozmo,

isn't a moderator here? 

I think you should fly to Hawaii.

OzmO

• Getbig V
I think the repubs will do everything to make Wright an issue.   

they have to.  McCain will always be tied to the worse presidency in the history of our Country.

Many preachers are f-ing looney.  No surprise.   

240 is Back

• Getbig V
I think you should fly to Hawaii.

nah, that little bitch woudl hide, i think we all know that.

OzmO

• Getbig V
nah, that little bitch woudl hide, i think we all know that.

I'd be willing to bet he'd wouldn't.   

Plan family vacation.  :)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
I'd be willing to bet he'd wouldn't.  

Plan family vacation.  :)

And contribute to his local economy?  Never.  I'm letting hawaii collapse under Bush's fuel costs that Beacum still believes are totally awesome.

Besides, I live in sunny FL.  If I was going on a vacation, it's be to see NYC or maybe go skiing.  Beaches are kinda boring to me.

calmus

• Getbig IV
  • Time is luck.

Don't hurt DB. I like my property in posting condition.

OzmO

• Getbig V
And contribute to his local economy?  Never.  I'm letting hawaii collapse under Bush's fuel costs that Beacum still believes are totally awesome.

Besides, I live in sunny FL.  If I was going on a vacation, it's be to see NYC or maybe go skiing.  Beaches are kinda boring to me.

I figured as much, cause you live in Florida.    Besides the sand is better there. 

Now, do you feel you are contributing to him when you contribute to the Hawaiian economy?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
I figured as much, cause you live in Florida.    Besides the sand is better there. 

Now, do you feel you are contributing to him when you contribute to the Hawaiian economy?

He's a college professor in the field of Waltonian Studies.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
hey Berserker/Ozmo,

isn't a moderator here? 

Good Lord.  You have got to be the biggest sissy on this board.  Do you ever stop whining?  I bet kids beat you up for your lunch money in school.  Somebody call 911 . . .

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
I think you raise an interesting issue BB.

Should someone who is a religious nut be elected into office?

What kind of person is a member of the Mormon church?

If a presidential candidate claims that he confers with God on issues (eg Bush), is that someone that is fit to hold the most powerful job in the world?

Regardless of party affiliation, I find it extremely important to sort out what kind of ties a person has to any religious group.

Great thread.
As empty as paradise

240 is Back

• Getbig V
Good Lord.  You have got to be the biggest sissy on this board.  Do you ever stop whining?  I bet kids beat you up for your lunch money in school.  Somebody call 911 . . .

Some of us would rather not read your racist garbage here.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
I think you raise an interesting issue BB.

Should someone who is a religious nut be elected into office?

What kind of person is a member of the Mormon church?

If a presidential candidate claims that he confers with God on issues (eg Bush), is that someone that is fit to hold the most powerful job in the world?

Regardless of party affiliation, I find it extremely important to sort out what kind of ties a person has to any religious group.

Great thread.

How do you define "religious nut"?  Someone who believes in God?  Someone who openly talks about their faith?  Regular church attendance?   

I can't characterize all Mormons, but all of the ones I know are good people. 

All three of our candidates have said they believe in God and/or are Christians.  They have all talked about their faith.  If that's true, they will all "confer with God on issues" when they're in office. 

It is impossible to run for president without having religious views publicly aired.  They actually have to court religious voters, because there are so many of them. 

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
and where did president bush attend sunday services this past sunday?  while st john's espiscopal church is undergoing renovation the president attended services in the United States Chamber of Commerce bldg. yes  the CHAMBER OF COMMERCE bldg.  haha

240 is Back

• Getbig V
How do you define "religious nut"? 

Someone who asks God if he should invade iraq...

But skips asking his own Defense Secretary.