Author Topic: How did bodybuilding............  (Read 1798 times)

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
How did bodybuilding............
« on: June 01, 2008, 09:42:13 PM »
......get started?

Did some of the strongman circus freaks start getting lean and showing off for each other?

At what point did it go from strongman stunts on stage to oiled up men in their briefs?
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
Re: How did bodybuilding............
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2008, 09:48:59 PM »
Is this the real story of the beginning of BBing?

Sandow Starts It
In its broadest sense, bodybuilding is centuries old. Serious athletes have always done exercises and calisthenics to increase muscle mass and improve muscle tone, with the goal of improving performance.

As a discipline in its own right, though, bodybuilding is relatively young. Its origin is often traced to Eugen Sandow (Friederich Wilhelm Mueller), a strong man who was a featured attraction at the 1893 World Columbian Exposition in Chicago.

Sandow began his performance with feats of strength and concluded it by adopting various poses designed to show off his body--the same kinds of poses used during modern bodybuilding competitions.

After the exposition, Sandow toured the vaudeville circuit. In 1899, he went to England and opened his first "Physical Culture Studio" in London. Sandow aggressively marketed physical culture to the middle class, selling products by mail order and publishing his own magazine. Eventually, he had a chain of 20 studios throughout England.

One of his promotions was the first bodybuilding contest, called by Sandow the "Great Competition," held on September 14, 1901. Sandow made it clear that mere bulk would not win the contest; proportion and symmetry of muscular development would be the keys. He was one of the three judges; another was Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, the physician-author who created Sherlock Holmes.

Staged in the Royal Albert Hall, which had seating for 15,000, the Great Competition not only sold out, it created an immense traffic jam and hundreds of would-be spectators were turned away.

Oddly, it was the last of the Great Competitions. Sandow had evidently got the publicity he sought, so he didn't bother to do it again.

http://www.hickoksports.com/history/bodybuilding.shtml#hist1
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2008, 09:49:35 PM »
Milos and his pink dumbell giant set party could tell ya
follow the arrows

candidizzle

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= TRB953
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2008, 11:22:02 PM »
probabyly the admiration of human perfection is whta is the origin... somewhere during roman or egyptian times... those statues of anatomically perfect men seem like a form of bodybuilding

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2008, 11:40:07 PM »
How did bodybuilding............ ......get started?

my best guess would be with a couple of bottles of wine and a room full of fags with way too much time on their hands

candidizzle

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= TRB953
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2008, 11:43:42 PM »
my best guess would be with a couple of bottles of wine and a room full of fags with way too much time on their hands
"POSITIVE" body building discussion

tyciol

• Getbig I
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2008, 06:35:32 PM »
Yeah Sandow had the coolest poses.

stuntmovie

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2008, 03:32:11 PM »
DAMN! I gave a shit-load of ancient "Physical Culture" magazines away a while back that would have answered this question perfectly and to the best of my knowledge those old time magazines were "inspired" by Charles McFadden who was born way back in 1830, so those old magazines must have been published in the 1860 or the 1870.

Not till many years later did they even start to mention Eugene Sandow and he was born in 1867 so these mags were damn old.

I know who has them now so I'll do my best to get a hold of some and copy them to this site.

They advertised some pretty strange stuff back then. One advertisement encouraged some type of shock treatment to increase muscular performance and that damn thing made another profitable but questionable reappearance as late as the 1950's.

So, to the best of my knowledge bodybuilding was something that a relative few strived to undertake way back in the mid 19th century, but to the best of my knowledge competitive bodybuilding didn't make an official appearance until much much later. And I have no idea when and where that contest first occured, but I have been told by an old time expert who recently passed away that the first so-called bodybuilding contest was actually a "muscle control" act that was still kind of popular until the late 1950's.

Any help here would be appreciated. Thanks.

You're more than likely right with that "Great Competition" story, Chaos. I recall hearing that one and Conan Doyle's participation as a judge many years ago but completely forgot all about it.