Author Topic: We are PAYING our allies to fight in iraq  (Read 1638 times)

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
We are PAYING our allies to fight in iraq
« on: June 02, 2008, 08:05:55 PM »
NEW DELHI: The tale of massive fraud and embezzlement of millions of dollars by the US military in its operations in Iraq continues. Testifying before the US Congress Committee on Oversight and Government Reform on 22 May, Mary Ugone, deputy inspector general of accounts in the Pentagon said that an audit of $8.2 billion spending related to the Iraq war showed that $7.8 billion had been improperly spent.

Over 180,000 payments, mostly since the war started in 2003, were made by the defense department to contractors for everything from bottled water to vehicles to transportation services.

In her testimony, Ugone also revealed that $135 million were given to forces from three countries UK, South Korea and Poland to facilitate their participation in the war. This is the first time that the US has officially admitted paying its allies in the so-called Coalition of the Willing that invaded Iraq in March 2003.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: We are paing our allies to fight in iraq
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2008, 08:10:17 PM »
Remember... we're borrowing almost $1 trillion per year from China to pay for this.  They hold deeds to our parks and highways should we default.  Our social security money will pay for this.

In an earlier report released in November 2007, the Inspector General had concluded that the Defense Department couldn't properly account for over $5 billion in taxpayer funds spent in support of the Iraq Security Forces. It said that thousands of weapons, including assault rifles, machine guns, and rocket-propelled grenade launchers were unaccounted for, and millions of dollars had been squandered on construction projects that did not exist.

Ugones testimony gave detailed examples of the bizarre manner in which US defense officials doled out huge amounts of money without recording where it was going. In one case a sum of $320 million was paid an Iraqi official for paying salaries with only an incompletely filled voucher signed by one official. Since no details of the spending plan were attached as required by Pentagon rules the auditors have no clue as to where the money went. This payment was made from assets seized from Iraq.

Auditors found that the Pentagon gave away $1.8 billion from seized Iraqi assets. There were 53 vouchers noting these payments but not even one adequately explained where the money went.

In another instance, two vouchers, one for $5 million and the other for $2.7 million showed payments to a vendor for goods and services provided except that there were no details of what goods or services were actually delivered.

Over $2.7 billion was spent on providing equipment and services to the Iraqi Security Forces (ISF). The auditors found that $2 billion of this was not properly accounted for. For example, 31 heavy tracked recovery vehicles costing $10.2 million were given to the ISF, but 18 of them could not be traced because identification numbers were not recorded.

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
  • 1687 confirmed kills and counting
Re: We are paing our allies to fight in iraq
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 08:10:59 PM »
Welcome to the wonderful world of modern diplomacy!  Don't think that the Russians didn't f' us over when we went to the UN about Iraq because there weren't some rubles passing hands!

War-Horse

• Getbig V
Re: We are PAYING our allies to fight in iraq
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 08:53:35 PM »
Paying our allies to support the war.......It just keeps getting better.

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 09:06:46 PM »
Paying our allies to support the war.......It just keeps getting better.

As opposed to the nations opposing the war in Iraq who operate solely on idealism:

"According to high-ranking Russian SVR defector Tretyakov, the Oil-for-Food program was sabotaged by an undercover Russian intelligence officer Alexander Kramar who worked in the UN. Kramar set up the artificially low oil prices in 1998 to allow Saddam to use the oil vouchers as lucrative bribes. The difference between the market price and the artificial price (defined by Kramar) was pocketed by people who received the vouchers from Saddam. Among the bribed were top officials from Russia, France, and China [7]. The biggest part of vouchers (to buy 1,366 billion barrels (217,200,000,000 m³) of oil) went to forty-six individuals or organizations in Russia, including Russian Orthodox Church. They pocketed $476 million [7]. Among Russians who received the money were Alexander Voloshin and Vladimir Zhirinovsky. Sergei Isakov, a buddy of Voloshin, carried bags with money from Moscow to Baghdad to return some of the "earned" money as kickbacks to Saddam "  See e.g., Wikipedia, Oil for Food Program."

But I'm sure I can find many, many posts from you condemning the corruption of these nations.  HAH!

War-Horse

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 09:20:27 PM »

As opposed to the nations opposing the war in Iraq who operate solely on idealism:

"According to high-ranking Russian SVR defector Tretyakov, the Oil-for-Food program was sabotaged by an undercover Russian intelligence officer Alexander Kramar who worked in the UN. Kramar set up the artificially low oil prices in 1998 to allow Saddam to use the oil vouchers as lucrative bribes. The difference between the market price and the artificial price (defined by Kramar) was pocketed by people who received the vouchers from Saddam. Among the bribed were top officials from Russia, France, and China [7]. The biggest part of vouchers (to buy 1,366 billion barrels (217,200,000,000 m³) of oil) went to forty-six individuals or organizations in Russia, including Russian Orthodox Church. They pocketed $476 million [7]. Among Russians who received the money were Alexander Voloshin and Vladimir Zhirinovsky. Sergei Isakov, a buddy of Voloshin, carried bags with money from Moscow to Baghdad to return some of the "earned" money as kickbacks to Saddam "  See e.g., Wikipedia, Oil for Food Program."

But I'm sure I can find many, many posts from you condemning the corruption of these nations.  HAH!

No. A spade is a spade.     Sad indeed.

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2008, 09:24:07 PM »

No. A spade is a spade.     Sad indeed.

Wow an empty platitude.  What-a-shock. Let me guess, you have a "Support Our Troops, Bring'em Home" on your diesel Volvo with a tattered "Dukakis" bumper sticker hanging off the rusted fender.

War-Horse

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2008, 09:28:05 PM »
Wow an empty platitude.  What-a-shock. Let me guess, you have a "Support Our Troops, Bring'em Home" on your diesel Volvo with a tattered "Dukakis" bumper sticker hanging off the rusted fender.

Travel 180 degrees left.   good luck,dumbass.

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2008, 09:36:46 PM »

Travel 180 degrees left.   good luck,dumbass.

No, I think I'm quite on the mark (this is you, isn't it?):

"Re: Gas: Postcards from the edge  on: Today at 09:13:30 PM 

.... my hybrid saves me a ton over the SUV my mom bought me (which just sits in the garage). "

WOW- A self-made lefty whining over the gas-guzzler his Mommy bought him.  You have found a niche.

War-Horse

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2008, 09:38:48 PM »
No, I think I'm quite on the mark (this is you, isn't it?):

"Re: Gas: Postcards from the edge  on: Today at 09:13:30 PM 

.... my hybrid saves me a ton over the SUV my mom bought me (which just sits in the garage). "

WOW- A self-made whining over the gas-guzzler his Mommy bought him.  You have found a niche.

Hahaha.   Your embarrasing yourself.   "Say goodnite gracie"

War-Horse

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2008, 09:49:05 PM »
It's correctly spelled "embarrassing."  Your post is sort of ironic, isn't it?

mmm hmmm, yeah probably, maybe, losing interest, going now, good luck.  zzzzzzzzzzzz

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2008, 10:01:46 PM »
this has been the case since the start.  They either recieved threats, bribes or both.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2008, 07:07:10 AM »
The Brits have maybe 160,000 guys in their services...we pretty much run the Korean military and are fully intergrated into their command structure..as for Poland..they are a new NATO member and use Eastern Block equipment. It stands to reason that we are going to support those militaries to modernize and be able to sync with our forces. Everything from NATO weapons and equipment to aircraft parts etc. $160 million isn't all that much money.
L