Author Topic: The real deal on Kimbo's fight  (Read 3713 times)

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Ron = 'Princess L' & many other gimmicks - FACT!
The real deal on Kimbo's fight
« on: June 02, 2008, 08:06:05 PM »
Straight from El Guapo!  :D

Of course I have been asked now already many times what I thought about Kimbo’s fight and performance.

First let me start by saying: “It was his 4th fight”.

The fight was hyped up so big that Kimbo needed a perfect performance to live up to the hype. Thompson had the chance of his life time so he trained insanely hard. People expect him to go down but they forgot that he stopped Don Frey and Hidehiko Yoshida, he has a suspect jaw, but he came in to fight!

I think this fight is going to be very good for Kimbo in the future. When you start fighting and competing and you never went the distance in a fight you never know what “getting really tired” means.

Ask any fighter on the planet if they fought more than 1 round when they fought their first couple of fights, how they felt. They will tell you that they thought they were in great shape but got tired really fast.

In training you can do pretty much anything to bring your heart rate up. Focus mitts, Thai pads, takedowns, running hills, explosive weight training etc. but NOTHING compares to getting tired in a fight, it’s just a whole different ball game.
But once you know this and experienced it one time, you know what to expect in the future.
That’s why I think that this fight was great for Kimbo, he really had to dig deep and boy did he do that. He was so tired at the end of round it was crazy, but he went out in round three and just started throwing bombs again, that says a lot to me about his will power, trust me, it has been tested here!

Did he make mistakes? Of course, but than again, everybody makes mistakes plus he’s training MMA for only a year. I think that he had a few really good escapes from the bottom. Of course I wanted him to buck up, explode and escape the last one and a half minute of round number two, but he didn’t.
He DID give his “thumbs up” sign to the referee telling him he was OK and that the short elbows didn’t hurt him. Still, he should have escaped but he told me later that he was saving energy for the third round and because he thought the elbows didn’t have any effect anyway, he chose that moment.
I told him that it wasn’t good to do because the ref can stop the fight PLUS what if you get cut? So that won’t happen again.

He also didn’t close his guard a few times and he should have done that. In round two he had James in a guillotine choke but didn’t close his guard, that was too bad because Thompson escaped exactly how I showed Kimbo that you should escape when your opponent doesn’t close his guard, but you learn from your mistakes so that won’t happen again either.

He had Thompson in trouble the first and the second round with his punches but he got a little bit too “hungry” and kept on hitting which means that he planted his feet and that means that your opponent can go for a takedown, and that happened too. But here I go again, you learn from your mistakes and that won’t happen again.

So I have to say that I am very happy with this fight and his performance and that this fight made him WAY stronger for next time. When you get caught in training by something, whether it’s a submission or strike, you learn from that, but there is nothing like learning it the hard way in a fight.
And than be fortunate that you STILL win the fight by referee stoppage is just the best.
He finished with hitting Thompson with a four punch combination with the last one of those being a hard right upper cut. Thompson staggered back and the referee stopped the fight. Was it too soon? I thought it would be great to see a few more shots just so that he was down for real. But I guess the referee had the two or three times that Thompson was hurt in the earlier rounds in his head, plus than he also got hit on his cauliflower ear that busted open and he had a different look in his eyes.

All the things that went wrong or he didn’t do, we DID train for, but like I said, training and fighting are two different things. I know him and when he sees the mistakes that he made and realizes that he probably would have won the fight when he would have closed his guard in round number two so that Thompson couldn’t have had escaped his guillotine choke, he’s not going to be happy and is going to make sure it won’t happen again, the same counts for the few little other mistakes he made, he will see them himself, and never make them again.

They say “fatigue makes cowards out of man”, well, that wasn’t the case with Kimbo, he kept on fighting, his technique got less because of it and people will now judge him on that, but that’s OK, he will be a different kind of animal next time.

All and all it was a great night of fights, I think that everybody who tuned in kept watching, at least a high percentage and that the evening was a success. It had great ratings and from what I understand CBS is really happy.

And one more time to finish this story, although Kimbo was the main event and everybody see him as a main event so expect this “perfect fighter”, this was only his fourth fight, he will tell you, and everybody else, that he’s still a little guy trying to learn the game. For somebody who did this only three times before, I say it was a great performance

Oh, and he didn’t tap just watch the show..

Godspeed and party on!!

Bas
!

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
Re: The real deal on Kimbo's fight
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 06:22:35 AM »
He doesn't address the fact that Kimbo tapped and the fact that the ref stood them up when Colossus had side control ::)
w

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 08:39:51 AM »
He doesn't address the fact that Kimbo tapped and the fact that the ref stood them up when Colossus had side control ::)

This is my main complaint.  Kimbo was clearly shown preferential treatment in this fight.  You can't argue with the fact that Thompson clearly had side control and was striking effectively and he was stood up.  There is absolutely no reason for this.
A

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 09:59:29 AM »

Read the second to the last sentence. 

Faust

• Getbig IV
  • It's a league game, Smokey
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 10:16:29 AM »
Quite an objective source you've found there.

I'm sure Kimbo's mother also thought it was a good fight from him.
$

bigbalddaddy

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2008, 12:47:31 PM »
BAS is awesome, but with a gym and a reputation there really is no other way to call the fight.  Kimbo just is not a natural born animal in the "cage".  There are countless guys who have gone 3 rounds banging the whole time in their first couple of fights with way better cardio.  Kimbo made it but his training obviously was subpar.  Plain and simple, he needs to train harder...BAS is right about that.

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 02:18:58 PM »
Read the second to the last sentence. 

Just saying he didn't tap does not address what we all saw with our eyes.  Check the video.  He CLEARLY taps.  What's the explanation for that ???

w

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2008, 03:03:31 PM »
Bas Rutten is a fcuking tool.

Why the fcuk is he even allowed to offer "commentary"?

"Party on"? ::)
As empty as paradise

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2008, 03:04:27 PM »
Yes, the 'real deal' coming from the guy who's been training Kimbo for months. Shouldn't expect that to be biased or anything.  ::)

americanbulldog

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2008, 03:13:21 PM »
I love El Guapo, but.....

Why does Kimbo have 0 takedown defense.  Against a guy who is not known for his takedowns, and is slower than tar moving up hill.  What if he meets up with a wrestler who has explosive shots? 

He has 0 clinch game.  He allowed Thompson to get underhooks, and push him up against the cage.  If you are going to use the whizzer, you better get that overhook in deep. 

He had nothing on the ground.  Didn't close his guard, had an OPEN half guard, allowed Thompson to transition to mount????  White belts at our school move better off their backs.  He needs to work wrestling, jits and conditioning only.  He can throw straight punches, is pretty accruate and has power, that is it.  He is also athletic, but he couldn't use any of those attributes because his game is soooo limited.  Big Country, Roy Nelson would murder him. 

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2008, 03:44:51 PM »
Just saying he didn't tap does not address what we all saw with our eyes.  Check the video.  He CLEARLY taps.  What's the explanation for that ???

Kimbo was still throwing knees, I honestly believe that he was telling the ref he was okay and that the choke was not bad. JMHO

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2008, 04:02:26 PM »
Kimbo was still throwing knees, I honestly believe that he was telling the ref he was okay and that the choke was not bad. JMHO

He was panicking and trying to do whatever he coud to get out.  He then taped, probably involuntarily, and then came to his senses and changed his mind.  I guarantee you that if the ref had seen Thomson do that, he would have stopped the fight immediately.

The next fight I want to see is Colossus vs. that juiced up monkey ref...

w

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2008, 05:15:19 PM »
That was not a tapout.  He ws giving a thumbs up telling the ref he is okay.  I don't even like Kimbo but that was not a tapout.  Sorry  in fact if you look at it his hand he is signaling with doesn't even touch the arm of Thompson or anything.  He is just holding his hand up with a thumbs up sign

The Master

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2008, 06:45:47 PM »
Bas Rutten is a fcuking tool.

Why the fcuk is he even allowed to offer "commentary"?

"Party on"? ::)

Fuck off swede >:( Bas = teh bomb. Respect El Guapo.

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2008, 06:55:34 PM »
That was not a tapout.  He ws giving a thumbs up telling the ref he is okay.  I don't even like Kimbo but that was not a tapout.  Sorry  in fact if you look at it his hand he is signaling with doesn't even touch the arm of Thompson or anything.  He is just holding his hand up with a thumbs up sign

Agreed his hand doesn't even touch Thompson

IronFan

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2008, 08:43:44 PM »
I thought it was a great fight.  Entertaining at least.

Popped cauliflower ear on national tv - that's gotta be a first.

The elbows to Kimbo's head weren't that hard, but hard enough to make him forget to put some serious knees in JT's wide open ribs.

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2008, 09:22:46 AM »
Agreed his hand doesn't even touch Thompson

He taps BEFORE the thumbs up...watch it.
w

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Ron = 'Princess L' & many other gimmicks - FACT!
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2008, 09:51:20 AM »
::)
!

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2008, 02:31:32 PM »

Mindspin you had a great body but your eyesight sucks :)

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2008, 02:52:08 PM »
if thompson had "given a thumbs up", the fight would have been ended immediately. if thompson had been the one on the ground getting pounded for 65 seconds, the ref would have stopped it after 15. the fight was such flaming bullshit i don't get how anyone can defend it.