Author Topic: World welcomes Obama win  (Read 2481 times)

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
World welcomes Obama win
« on: June 04, 2008, 02:20:36 PM »
LONDON (AP) - Barack Obama's triumph over Hillary Clinton triggered jubilation among his relatives in Kenya, hope among people around the world—and a few questions about he actually stands for.
Many expressed optimism Wednesday that a November victory by Obama—who has relatives in Africa and childhood friends in Asia—would mark a major shift from the deeply unpopular policies of the Bush administration.

In Kenya, home to Obama's family on his father's side, the Kenya Times newspaper devoted its front page to the story, under the headline "Obama makes history."

"I've just watched him on television, and as a family we are very happy. Really, it is something that is a trendsetter," the politician's uncle, Said Obama, told The Associated Press from the port city of Kisumu in western Kenya.

In Mexico City, hairdresser Susan Mendoza's eyes lit up when she learned Obama had clinched the nomination.

"Bush was for the elite. Obama is of the people," she said.

The excitement was less about Obama's foreign policy—which remains vague—than a sense that his victory marks a historic moment.

Michael Cox, a professor of international relations at the London School of Economics, said Obama's win "has sent out a lot of positive signals around the world."

"He has a very appealing persona—elegant, fluent, strings lots of sentences together into paragraphs," Cox said. "But in terms of (his) actual policies towards the Middle East, Iraq, Iran, China, Europe—actually, we don't know."

That uncertainty did little to dampen enthusiasm for Obama.

The German government's coordinator on U.S. relations, Karsten Voigt, said many Germans "find (Obama's) mixture of Martin Luther King and John F. Kennedy very attractive."

Jean-Marc Damier a 39-year-old man from the Paris suburbs who works in marketing, said Obama's relative lack of experience could be an asset.

"The candidate's freshness can only do good, because the way things have been done before created a mess," he said.

The Times of London, which proclaimed in a headline that "Obama waits on the threshold of history," said in an editorial that Obama's campaign "has rekindled America's faith in its prodigious powers of reinvention—and the world's admiration for America."

The respected Dutch daily NRC Handelsblad said Obama's nomination was "a historical event even if he does not become president in the end." It said Obama had overcome racism and "represents a new generation born after the baby boom."

France's Le Monde said Obama's grassroots campaign, which attracted thousands of young supporters, "demonstrated that American democracy is not doomed to being confiscated by a narrow political class, financed by lobbies and piloted by communication experts."

Obama opposed the invasion of Iraq and has called for an early troop withdrawal. He also has shown willingness to engage in dialogue with Iran, North Korea and Cuba—nations long isolated by the policies of Bush.

Jorge Serguera, a 70-year-old retiree in Havana, said he thought that, if elected, Obama would work to loosen Washington's nearly 50-year-old trade embargo against Cuba. Obama is "a thinking man of ethics and ideals," he said. "Bush's leaving will let Cuba rest a bit after eight years."

Ngo Van Hung, a Vietnamese real-estate salesman, said Obama "seems to be a peace lover. He would have a better understanding of how to treat people of different nationalities and different countries."

Many Asians welcomed the selection of a candidate perceived as more aware of the world outside U.S. borders than Bush. The son of a Kenyan father and a mother from the U.S. state of Kansas, Obama spent several years of his childhood in Jakarta, Indonesia.

Indonesians were rooting Wednesday for the man they consider to be a hometown hero. Obama lived in the predominantly Muslim nation from age 6 to 10 with his mother and Indonesian stepfather and was fondly remembered by former teachers and classmates.

"He was an average student, but very active," said Widianto Hendro Cahyono, 48, who was in the same third grade class as Obama at SDN Menteng elementary school in Jakarta. "He would play ball during recess until he was dripping with sweat.

"I never imagined he would become a great man."

A Chinese scholar said that while he did not expect major changes in U.S. foreign policy, an Obama White House would have a very different tone from a Bush one.

"He will bring new energy into America's domestic politics and foreign policies," said Zhu Feng, deputy director at the Center of International and Strategic Studies at Peking University in Beijing. "It's a good choice for the Democrats."

However, Obama has made himself unpopular in Pakistan by saying the United States should act alone on information about terrorist targets within the country's national borders, leading some to believe he will be worse for the country than Bush.

"Obama has threatened attacks against us even before becoming the president, and he will be more dangerous compared to Bush," said Ibrar Ahmad, 34, a lecturer at the Government College in Multan.

And in the Middle East, there was skepticism that an Obama presidency would change an American foreign policy viewed by most Muslims as staunchly pro-Israel.

Obama reinforced that view in a speech to Jewish leaders in Washington Wednesday, saying that "as president I will never compromise when it comes to Israel's security."

"The upcoming president, whether he is black or white, would have the same policy," said Tarek Abdullah, an Egyptian store vendor. "Their Middle East policy and their policies towards Muslims in general will always be the same."

L

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
Re: World welcomes Obama win
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 02:22:29 PM »
I'd better start getting my shots for Africa..I'm sure Obama will want to fix Africa after all those years of Colonial white rule.  All that bloodshed and killing and disorder because of the whites..oh wait!!!!!
L

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 02:24:55 PM »
How long until we see you guys posting pictures of Osama holding an Obama for President sign.  I'm sure we'll also see crowds of angry arabs looking like they're at an Obama rally. ::)

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 02:27:15 PM »
I'd better start getting my shots for Africa..I'm sure Obama will want to fix Africa after all those years of Colonial white rule.  All that bloodshed and killing and disorder because of the whites..oh wait!!!!!
You know what a poor country without a valuable resource is called?  Paradise.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 02:29:19 PM »
Nobody will invade Fiji.
L

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008, 02:41:39 PM »
Nobody will invade Fiji.
that's my point, now give them diamonds, gold or oil and see how happy they look.

but there seems to be big issues with the way paradise is governed :D 2000 coup, 2006 coup.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2008, 02:49:03 PM »
Yeah I was trying to mention some place with blue water and no BS..how about Kwajlein.
L

CQ

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • TGT
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2008, 03:50:19 PM »
Yeah I was trying to mention some place with blue water and no BS..how about Kwajlein.

We work. Blue water, and only ghey BS like the senate arguing whether to have lobster traps legal year round or not ::)

Obama has strong support almost everywhere as far as news reports I read, and nations I have traveled to since the election got "heated". Here is insane, it is Obamaville to say the least. One big reason is Bush is seen as the biggest twat ever. Normally we not too interested in your elections, but the last few years we have politely fended off so much US interference it is ridiculous and Bush blamed for that.

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2008, 03:56:58 PM »
It's good that he's got international support. Many would give this country a chance to rebuild its lost reputation if he were elected.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2008, 04:11:15 PM »
I think the point I was making went over your head.  Why would you mention a place we already occupy and say nobody is going to invade lol...  In this case the resource is valued by our military: uncontaminated land and location.  Now turn it into a valuable resource that can be gathered and sold for big profit and I guarantee the picture looks way worse for the people.

War-Horse

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2008, 04:11:31 PM »
We work. Blue water, and only ghey BS like the senate arguing whether to have lobster traps legal year round or not ::)

Obama has strong support almost everywhere as far as news reports I read, and nations I have traveled to since the election got "heated". Here is insane, it is Obamaville to say the least. One big reason is Bush is seen as the biggest twat ever. Normally we not too interested in your elections, but the last few years we have politely fended off so much US interference it is ridiculous and Bush blamed for that.

LMAO.... ;D

The Coach

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2008, 06:04:42 PM »
How long until we see you guys posting pictures of Osama holding an Obama for President sign.  I'm sure we'll also see crowds of angry arabs looking like they're at an Obama rally. ::)

You've gotta know the Terrorists are loving this crap.......one of their own just got nominated.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2008, 06:33:17 PM »
You've gotta know the Terrorists are loving this crap.......one of their own just got nominated.
oh boy...

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2008, 06:53:00 PM »

Africa was fucked up long before Colonial Rule set in... ::)
I hate the State.

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2008, 09:29:54 PM »
More Obama Fear spin.

Can't take away America's lone cowboy approach combined with shoot first ask question later.

Otherwise all the dumb muscle heads will feel useless.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2008, 04:21:46 AM »

You're calling Obama a terrorist, Joe?

What evidence do you have?

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2008, 05:44:28 AM »
Interesting.
What do you mean?
As empty as paradise

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2008, 06:43:00 AM »
Even though Coach's comment was probably an exaggeration, its just wrong.  I believe Obama does love this country, but he has been fighting for only a segment of the country his entire career...the minority & the poor.  I worry that he doesn't represent most Americans. 

Obama has a "let's talk" attitude with countries that support terrorism....right or wrong?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2008, 06:46:25 AM »
Even though Coach's comment was probably an exaggeration, its incorrect. 

Obama has a "let's talk" attitude with countries that support terrorism....right or wrong?

He wants to negotiate with our enemies, just like Reagan did.

Heck, didn't GWB *give* a million barrels of oil at North Korea, after they fired ICBMs at hawaii and set off a nuke, just to stop them?  That is TEXTBOOK appeasement.

All Obama wants to do it is negotiate with them, to find a way to stop what they are doing.  Bush hasn't negotiated, and guess what?  they're doing whatever they want.  They're shipping weapons, building nukes.  Bush can't stop them because he won't sit down and negotiate.

Imagine how funny it'll be if Obama sits down with iran's leader, negotiates a peace where they stop building nukes.  If he can accomplish a mideast peace that Bush could not.  perhaps THAT is what the repubs are most scared of.  Clinton got close to a mid east peace deal, but bush hasn't gotten close at all.  Watch a fresh obama bring peace.  imagine that.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2008, 06:52:53 AM »
Even though Coach's comment was probably an exaggeration, its just wrong.  I believe Obama does love this country, but he has been fighting for only a segment of the country his entire career...the minority & the poor.  I worry that he doesn't represent most Americans. 

Please elaborate.

Do you believe the US economy is in a better state after the reign of George W Bush and his foreign policy?

As empty as paradise

gcb

• Getbig IV
  • you suffer, why?
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2008, 06:54:40 AM »
He wants to negotiate with our enemies, just like Reagan did.

Heck, didn't GWB *give* a million barrels of oil at North Korea, after they fired ICBMs at hawaii and set off a nuke, just to stop them?  That is TEXTBOOK appeasement.

All Obama wants to do it is negotiate with them, to find a way to stop what they are doing.  Bush hasn't negotiated, and guess what?  they're doing whatever they want.  They're shipping weapons, building nukes.  Bush can't stop them because he won't sit down and negotiate.

Imagine how funny it'll be if Obama sits down with iran's leader, negotiates a peace where they stop building nukes.  If he can accomplish a mideast peace that Bush could not.  perhaps THAT is what the repubs are most scared of.  Clinton got close to a mid east peace deal, but bush hasn't gotten close at all.  Watch a fresh obama bring peace.  imagine that.

Would we call that a December suprise?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2008, 06:55:54 AM »

By that reasoning, McCain, whose policies help mostly the wealthy, represents even FEWER Americans than Obama.

Cause we all know there are a hell of a lot more poor people, than rich people, in the USA!

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2008, 07:11:57 AM »
Africa was fucked up long before Colonial Rule set in... ::)

Yeah thats my point....
L

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2008, 07:15:26 AM »
Yeah thats my point....

Or was your point:  Everything is going to be about Africa if Obama gets elected and the USA will get ignored?

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2008, 07:19:19 AM »
Not all about Africa....it will be about trying to fix things that we get nothing for...its about BS UN missions without purpose. Africa is a Blackhole...we've poured billions into it and gotten no further along. Old Obama won't ignore us he'll use us to pay for his humanitarian outreach programs. He'll tell us to cut back and conserve as he supports the 3rd world.
L