Author Topic: Can hypertrophy physiologically be achieved on a 5 rep scheme?  (Read 22363 times)

candidizzle

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= TRB953
Re: Can hypertrophy physiologically be achieved on a 5 rep scheme?
« Reply #100 on: June 10, 2008, 01:47:37 PM »
magoo just because i dont show respect to a bunch of dumbshits who think things like strength=size, inclines hit the same area as declines, and all you need are compound movements...

for those people who do ACTUALLY know things... ask them if i have humility or if i think i know everything ?
 ;)

it robably seems like im a know it all t you because, well, compared to you ! i do kno it all  ;D

love you babay

Boost

• Getbig V
« Reply #101 on: June 10, 2008, 01:57:38 PM »
magoo just because i dont show respect to a bunch of dumbshits who think things like strength=size

I'm damn confused over this point. Alot of guys on here swear by this, and others go for the pump

PANDAEMONIUM

• Getbig V
  • Scourge of the Northern Gods
« Reply #102 on: June 10, 2008, 01:59:10 PM »
magoo just because i dont show respect to a bunch of dumbshits who think things like strength=size, inclines hit the same area as declines, and all you need are compound movements...

for those people who do ACTUALLY know things... ask them if i have humility or if i think i know everything ?
 ;)

it robably seems like im a know it all t you because, well, compared to you ! i do kno it all  ;D

love you babay

Would you mind running your messages through spell-check before posting them?

I'm getting sick of my eyes bleeding.

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
  • Thought is the arrow of time; memory never fades.
« Reply #103 on: June 10, 2008, 03:38:22 PM »
I'm damn confused over this point. Alot of guys on here swear by this, and others go for the pump
in the basic exercises:
focus on getting stronger mainly in the 5-8 rep range. (if your into bodybuilding)

add in a couple of higher rep sets (10-12..up to 15 for legs) for metabolic work.

and once or twice per year do short periods  of lower rep work (1-5), to really push strength. the strength you get from these short periods of low rep work will help you use heavier weights when you go back to slightly higher reps.

never base your training around the pump. a couple of high rep sets at the end of the workout will take care of the pump.

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #104 on: June 10, 2008, 04:15:32 PM »
okay theres my "in" to end this thread in agreement on a good note.

yes, i believe the pump is definitely NOT what you want to work for. pump addicts, like slave calls them, are not doing anything productive in regards to buliding muscle by just trying to get blood in the muscle.

if you work to failure in the 6-8 rep range you will defninitely grow

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
« Reply #105 on: June 10, 2008, 06:05:17 PM »
okay theres my "in" to end this thread in agreement on a good note.

yes, i believe the pump is definitely NOT what you want to work for. pump addicts, like slave calls them, are not doing anything productive in regards to buliding muscle by just trying to get blood in the muscle.

if you work to failure in the 6-8 rep range you will defninitely grow

no, thats not enough. you have to add weight to the bar as time goes by. lots of pump addicted people forget this.

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
« Reply #106 on: June 10, 2008, 06:40:43 PM »
no, thats not enough. you have to add weight to the bar as time goes by. lots of pump addicted people forget this.

that is the fundamental principle of growth. pick a rep range anywhere from 5 to 15 reps. if, over time, you add weight, your muscles will get bigger. end of story.

and candidizzle, you are the dumb shit. you have neither strength NOR size. so clearly you need to heavily re-evaluate.

oh wait, i forgot, you have a little size now. thanks to your steroid cycle genius training methods.

Emmortal

• Getbig V
« Reply #107 on: June 10, 2008, 06:44:26 PM »

And when you plateau on an exercise (everyone does) just switch to a new one (most forget that and get mentally frustrated).

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
« Reply #108 on: June 10, 2008, 06:50:17 PM »
And when you plateau on an exercise (everyone does) just switch to a new one (most forget that and get mentally frustrated).

yes, and/or deload and start under your max and ramp it up again over a few weeks time.

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
« Reply #109 on: June 10, 2008, 06:50:48 PM »

yep. there's a number of ways to switch it up. change your schedule. go from doing sets of 4-6 to sets of 8-12. do straight sets instead of pyramids.

there are tons of ways to mix it up without changing the fundamental principle of progressive overload.

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #110 on: June 10, 2008, 07:36:34 PM »
hmmmm    so i offer a truce and an agreement and i get corrected and called a dumbshit.

:)

very mature, gentleman; and this is coming from an immature 19 year old too. so what does that tell you?

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #111 on: June 10, 2008, 08:15:18 PM »
I am honoured that so small a thread has grown to such length... ;D
I hate the State.

Emmortal

• Getbig V
« Reply #112 on: June 10, 2008, 11:03:05 PM »
I am honoured that so small a thread has grown to such length... ;D

That's what she said.

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #113 on: June 11, 2008, 06:52:44 AM »
in the basic exercises:
focus on getting stronger mainly in the 5-8 rep range. (if your into bodybuilding)

add in a couple of higher rep sets (10-12..up to 15 for legs) for metabolic work.

and once or twice per year do short periods  of lower rep work (1-5), to really push strength. the strength you get from these short periods of low rep work will help you use heavier weights when you go back to slightly higher reps.

never base your training around the pump. a couple of high rep sets at the end of the workout will take care of the pump.

You need to start charging some $ for this advice...lol

8)

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #114 on: June 11, 2008, 07:07:18 AM »
Actually I have no idea what a pump is; I think it is a genetic thing. I don't respond to creatine or NO either. I have never felt a pump during training, ever. Strange I guess.
I hate the State.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #115 on: June 11, 2008, 09:13:46 AM »
As Overload said in so many words........ Priceless!

Anyone does not need to crave a pump, but a pump is usually a bi-product of a good BB'ing workout. Notice I said BB'ing workout. Strength work and hypertrophy do not always go hand in hand. If you are getting stronger, that does not always mean you are getting bigger. Seeing a middleweight PL'er now days push up 420+ for reps with a body's that looks "in good shape" but not anywhere near overbearing in muscle size. 

A lot of BB'ers morf into strength training, without them knowing it, rather than pure BB'ing. Who really cares if you can bench 400 with a 44" chest and the guy working out next to you can only bench 315, but he has a 49" chest. And is much more massive all over than you.  Genetics or just smarter training?

If your workout is sound and you are making progress on 5-8 reps than there is no need to do a couple of sets of higher reps at the end of the workout. That would be refered to as a Finishing set. This would also apply to leg exercises.  If training with serious intent in the first place, than a finishing set is never needed.

The pace of a workout can influence the amount of the pump one gets in true BB'ing. Anywhere from 60 to 90 seconds between sets. This is called Time Under Tension (TUT) ,which some folks think only means the actually exercise it's self. It's the whole time of that workout. You do not need higher reps to achieve this. If hitting chest and triceps on a certain day and it take an hour and a half than your going at a snell's pace. Or you just like to look at yourself in the gym mirrors. Cutting that chest work time down to under 45 minutes (or less) might be a goal to keep in mind. Might surprise yourself as to renewed muscle gains.

If Deicide wants to experience the thrill of a pump than he might try running the rack.  As one example; These are done non stop, no rest at all:

DB curls starting with a pair of 10's for 2 reps (some prefer 1 rep) when done grap the pair of 20's and do 2 more reps, than 30's, 40's etc.  After getting into heavier DB's you may be limited to 1 rep. Keep advancing up until you fail at whatever the top weight might be. Now without any rest run the rack back done to the next set of lighter DB's. Go all the way back down to the original pair of 10's. If you prefer delts than do DB overhead presses. Remember again, this is non stop...no water breaks or short pauses. Top guy's do these ever so often. Not as part of a general workout plan, more of a shock value. Also consider the One and One Half system for a pump. Or Quad sets, again non stop.

As far as I am concerned (on a personal bases..others can do what they wish) an excessive pump just gives a bloated look to the muscles. Some tend to look like a over grown marshmallow after awhile when just working for the pump.  And a hyper pump is never a indication that there is any real muscle growth to be had. It gives a false value to the workout. Good Luck.                         

F

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #116 on: June 15, 2008, 07:30:36 AM »

Not so much about rep range that provides the aspect of growth. Has more to do with TUT, or Time Under Tension.

You can do five reps at a 302 tempo, and your total TUT is 25 seconds. You can do 6 reps at 31X, 2 reps at 525, or 8 reps using a count of 211. All these tempos are between 20-60 seconds, which in studies it's been shown that is where hypertrophy takes place. Lower reps, 20 seconds and under, tend to make the muscles thicker.
Depending on your goal, you should use all tempos, and rep ranges. Vary them accordingly though. If you're a marathon runner, you probably won't be doing many singles attempting to break records. On the other side, if you are a sprinter, it will help you since the hamstrings are fast twitch based and respond favorably to heavy training.
Just as you would not eat steak every day, all day at each meal...why should you stay with one type of training and/or tempo/rep range?

The Master

• Getbig V
« Reply #117 on: June 15, 2008, 07:32:32 AM »
Actually I have no idea what a pump is; I think it is a genetic thing. I don't respond to creatine or NO either. I have never felt a pump during training, ever. Strange I guess.

In most cases, it = very beneficial to be on a calorie surplus if you wanna feel the pump.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #118 on: June 15, 2008, 08:08:02 AM »
In most cases, it = very beneficial to be on a calorie surplus if you wanna feel the pump.

Way too stressed and fat for that... ;D
I hate the State.

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #119 on: June 15, 2008, 10:13:22 AM »
Way too stressed and fat for that... ;D
eat a meal with a shit load of salt and drink alot of water before and after and go with very high intensity...

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
« Reply #120 on: June 17, 2008, 09:49:30 PM »
The injury suffered by this thread's author's a perfect example of the heightened injury potential actually, regardless of whether some here like low reps and haven't suffered the same thing. Not to say it will happen to everyone, but the probability for injury goes up with higher weights and lower reps, it's pretty much common sense. That's why top BBs don't go with low reps in general using very heavy weight, they know better than to let ego get in the way. They go with fairly heavy weight relative to their strength in the 6-12 range for the most part with some changeups once in a while for contrast.

On a cost-benefit basis it's debatable whether lower reps will make any significant difference in terms of development. Those espousing low reps might've made the same or better gains on other programs. On the other hand the cost in terms of increased risk of injury is beyond debate.

Poor form is only possibly cause of injury
. Even with perfect form the potential for injury's always higher with heavy weights for most people, period. The connective tissues and joints are overloaded with resistance they're not totally in control of when the reps are low. There's also precious little mind-muscle connection with very heavy weight. considering what we see at the gyms these days, it is the LIKELY cause of injury.

Shoulder imbalances are only one cause of injury, there are plenty of people who are candidates for injury including Bob Chick who had no imbalance at all. Many just don't have the physique to handle low reps and very heavy poundages. It's pretty much common sense that huge poundages put tremendous strain on the joints and connective tissues. evidence of that?

I really believe that some here like the low reps due to ego. That's great for powerlifting, but notice that most of the strong BBs don't go with low reps on a regular basis for the reasons i've outlined both heightened risk of injury and also the fact that it's not as good in general for development. And once they're injured the don't have to be told twice on avoiding low reps. ;) Every athlete I know working with lower reps looks better than every BBer I see in the gym.

Varying the reps for shock value's cute but isn't essential either, both because there are many ways to add shock value outside of doing this, and because the truth is everyone has a sweet spot in terms of a rep range that works best for each muscle. That's not to say changing it up once in a while's not a good idea but bottom line those sweet spots generally don't change, which is why you'll notice that the ranges in routines of guys like Scott, Oliva and Schwarzenegger didn't change that much over the decades. They had maybe two ranges for each muscle, one off-season the other pre-contest.
Squishy face retard

DIVISION

• Getbig V
  • Bless me please, father.....
« Reply #121 on: July 16, 2008, 04:49:18 PM »
Everyone is different, but what is your take?

Generally speaking, hypertrophy can be achieved through a variety of methods.

As others have said, it depends on your distribution and type of muscle fibers.

Six reps and less is fast-twitch and will help in terms of power and strength, which indirectly will lead to hypertrophy but if you are only concerned with maximizing lean muscle gain you would probably be served best by staying in the 8-10 rep range.

DIV
I'm a ghost in these killing fields...