Author Topic: right now....  (Read 9137 times)

az

• Getbig III
right now....
« on: June 06, 2008, 02:43:13 PM »
I'm in shock about Amanda and drinking a shake.

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
Re: right now....
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 11:59:13 AM »
I know, it's very tragic, very sad.   :(

I'm partial to chocolate protein shakes... we've been out of chocolate lately, and I have been using strawberry and I hate it.   :P

The BEAST has a recipe for a protein shake involving protein powder (one scoop), egg whites (about 1/2 cup, I think), and ice...I haven't tried it yet, but she said that it tastes just like a Frosty. 

I could use some good, low fat/low sugar recipes for protein shakes, if anyone has them. 
I tried a cup of coffee in my chocolate protein shake once the other day...it's not bad.
:)

JediKnight

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 05:52:27 PM »
I know, it's very tragic, very sad.   :(

I'm partial to chocolate protein shakes... we've been out of chocolate lately, and I have been using strawberry and I hate it.   :P

The BEAST has a recipe for a protein shake involving protein powder (one scoop), egg whites (about 1/2 cup, I think), and ice...I haven't tried it yet, but she said that it tastes just like a Frosty. 

I could use some good, low fat/low sugar recipes for protein shakes, if anyone has them. 
I tried a cup of coffee in my chocolate protein shake once the other day...it's not bad.

Thanks for the recipe, I just got a jug of choclate protein poweder from Max muscle, think i will try that. Hey do you ever add oatmeal to your protein shakes?

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 06:45:33 PM »
Thanks for the recipe, I just got a jug of choclate protein poweder from Max muscle, think i will try that. Hey do you ever add oatmeal to your protein shakes?

My husband used to do that.  I don't like it.  Too thick!   :P

You gotta try freezing your leftover coffee in ice cube trays and blending it with the chocolate or vanilla protein powder too, that can be pretty awesome.

az

• Getbig III
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 05:15:45 AM »
I put oatmeal in mine, not that bad, always seems to settle at the bottom though.

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 05:16:31 AM »
PB is good in shakes it also gives you the proper fats needed to digest the protein fully.  Also slows down the protein, liquid whey proteins have a tendency to move very quickly through your digestive system not allowing the protein to be fully absorbed.

w8m8

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2008, 12:38:58 PM »
I found these , they sound delish

http://www.proteinshakerecipes.net/

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2008, 12:52:44 PM »

WOW... omg this totally doesn't count... this is desert!!

I'm going to peruse these recipes when I have more time...I'll post some more of my favorites.  ;D

S’Mores Shake
2 scoops chocolate PROTEIN
A few marshmallows (or cream)
1/3 cup of graham crackers
3 tablespoons of light chocolate syrup
12 ounces of skim milk
1/3 cup of ice

bthomas77

• Getbig II
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2008, 08:02:07 PM »

I'm going to peruse these recipes when I have more time...I'll post some more of my favorites.  ;D

S’Mores Shake
12 ounces of skim milk
1/3 cup of ice

how does that even count as something you would ingest while on a diet?

sounds good though....HA

PANDAEMONIUM

• Getbig V
  • Scourge of the Northern Gods
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2008, 09:17:29 PM »
how does that even count as something you would ingest while on a diet?

sounds good though....HA

Take the ice out and it looks more like a diet drink

bthomas77

• Getbig II
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2008, 09:32:19 PM »
Take the ice out and it looks more like a diet drink

makes sense...

thanks for the tip man.

JediKnight

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2008, 08:18:58 AM »

Thanks w8m8, I just got some good ideas. :)

w8m8

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2008, 10:35:32 AM »
Thanks w8m8, I just got some good ideas. :)

You're welcome  :)

JediKnight

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2008, 01:00:18 PM »

S’Mores Shake
12 ounces of skim milk
1/3 cup of ice

I just made that shake, it's really really good. ;D

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2008, 05:43:03 PM »
I bet it was good!  This one is a little "healthier"

The Turtle Shake
1/2 cup water

1 or 2 scoops chocolate protein

1 oz pecan halves, chopped

2 tbsp natural peanut butter

1 cup pasteurized egg whites

1/2 cup ice cubes

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2008, 07:07:35 PM »
Sound like some good shakes!

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2008, 07:13:34 AM »
OK I need to hear more about using egg whites in protein shakes.  I have to admit, I am a little sketched out by the thought of ingesting eggs in their raw form - whites or yolks.  I never do it.   :P

The Beast says egg whites in protein shakes are awesome, and alot of recipes call for it.  She used Lana's egg whites... I am not up for ordering a big tub of Lana's egg whites, so I am wondering if All Whites (from the grocery store) will work?  Or just use real eggs and separate them?  Protein shakes seem to run right through me and do nothing for my hunger, so I am thinking that maybe replacing some of the protein powder with egg whites would help.

JediKnight

• Getbig IV
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2008, 07:20:37 AM »
OK I need to hear more about using egg whites in protein shakes.  I have to admit, I am a little sketched out by the thought of ingesting eggs in their raw form - whites or yolks.  I never do it.   :P

The Beast says egg whites in protein shakes are awesome, and alot of recipes call for it.  She used Lana's egg whites... I am not up for ordering a big tub of Lana's egg whites, so I am wondering if All Whites (from the grocery store) will work?  Or just use real eggs and separate them?  Protein shakes seem to run right through me and do nothing for my hunger, so I am thinking that maybe replacing some of the protein powder with egg whites would help.

yes the egg whites work,,and sometimes at some markets they have eggology egg whites, the same one's Bob Chic endorses. Here's my thing, if you add protein mix and egg whites to your shake, are you adding to much protein to the shakes for the body to handle? Can't the body only absorb so much protein at one time and the rest goes to fat. I put 2 scoops of protein powder AND like half a cup of egg whites from the market,,it actually tasted thicker and alot more like a real milkshake. Oh I also added some skim milk. The egg whites and or skim milk obsiovsly makes the shake thicker and gives it a tad more taste than of course just protein powder/water and ice.

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2008, 07:26:06 AM »
yes the egg whites work,,and sometimes at some markets they have eggology egg whites, the same one's Bob Chic endorses. Here's my thing, if you add protein mix and egg whites to your shake, are you adding to much protein to the shakes for the body to handle? Can't the body only absorb so much protein at one time and the rest goes to fat. I put 2 scoops of protein powder AND like half a cup of egg whites from the market,,it actually tasted thicker and alot more like a real milkshake. Oh I also added some skim milk. The egg whites and or skim milk obsiovsly makes the shake thicker and gives it a tad more taste than of course just protein powder/water and ice.

Well I would have to balance it out to make sure the shake is still just the number of grams of protein I am supposed to have for each meal.  I do think there is a limit on how much protein the body can absorb in one meal (40-50g, maybe?), but I'm not sure how much of the rest is stored as fat versus how much is just processed by the kidneys and excreted.  That probably depends on your overall calorie intake.

So I'll have to do less powder if I add the egg whites.  But that's fine with me if it satisfies my hunger better.  I SWEAR, sometimes I have a protein shake (all I can have right now is the powder and water, no milk), and it's like I just drank a big glass of water.  I'm hungry like 10 minutes afterwards.   >:(

JediKnight

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2008, 07:47:24 AM »

Well I would have to balance it out to make sure the shake is still just the number of grams of protein I am supposed to have for each meal.  I do think there is a limit on how much protein the body can absorb in one meal (40-50g, maybe?), but I'm not sure how much of the rest is stored as fat versus how much is just processed by the kidneys and excreted.  That probably depends on your overall calorie intake.

So I'll have to do less powder if I add the egg whites.  But that's fine with me if it satisfies my hunger better.  I SWEAR, sometimes I have a protein shake (all I can have right now is the powder and water, no milk), and it's like I just drank a big glass of water.  I'm hungry like 10 minutes afterwards.   >:(

Same with me also about being hungry 10 mins later,, I am not a expert but the egg whites did make it better tasting and thicker like a milkshake. Let me know how it comes out for you. Also maybe instead of the egg whites, you could substitute the water for skim milk, it may make the shake thicker and creamier and more filling, if u arent comfortable using egg whites. Use a straw to drink.

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2008, 07:50:30 AM »
Same with me also about being hungry 10 mins later,, I am not a expert but the egg whites did make it better tasting and thicker like a milkshake. Let me know how it comes out for you. Also maybe instead of the egg whites, you could substitute the water for skim milk, it may make the shake thicker and creamier and more filling, if u arent comfortable using egg whites. Use a straw to drink.

No skim milk in my shakes during contest prep, lactose is a no-no for me.  I already know it's good, though, because I make my shakes with skim all the time during the off-season.

I'll give the egg whites a go... I'll suck it up and stop being such a wussy.  I'll probably be posting in here within the next week about how I have become addicted to egg white shakes and have replaced three meals a day with them.  ;D

JediKnight

• Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2008, 07:52:33 AM »

No skim milk in my shakes during contest prep, lactose is a no-no for me.  I already know it's good, though, because I make my shakes with skim all the time during the off-season.

I'll give the egg whites a go... I'll suck it up and stop being such a wussy.  I'll probably be posting in here within the next week about how I have become addicted to egg white shakes and have replaced three meals a day with them.  ;D

Enjoy Rip. Good luck with all your training and everything. You are a true champion.

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2008, 05:11:13 AM »
OK I conquered my fear of raw egg whites last night.  They are actually pasteurized...

I did one scoop of chocolate protein powder, 1 cup All Whites, some ice, and a splash of water.  It was really good, definitely better than just powder and water, and better because it's less powder anyway.  It didn't do much more for my hunger though... I wanted another one about 10 minutes after the first one.   >:(

JediKnight

• Getbig IV
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2008, 08:06:38 AM »
OK I conquered my fear of raw egg whites last night.  They are actually pasteurized...

I did one scoop of chocolate protein powder, 1 cup All Whites, some ice, and a splash of water.  It was really good, definitely better than just powder and water, and better because it's less powder anyway.  It didn't do much more for my hunger though... I wanted another one about 10 minutes after the first one.   >:(

LOL...sorry it didn't do more for your hunger, I am glad it came out good for you. Maybe in the offseason, you can try some of those other shakes, I love those recipes, and I want a partner in crime. ;D

ripitupbaby

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2008, 09:54:18 AM »
LOL...sorry it didn't do more for your hunger, I am glad it came out good for you. Maybe in the offseason, you can try some of those other shakes, I love those recipes, and I want a partner in crime. ;D

When I have a little more time, I will take the recipes out of this thread and start a Protein Shake thread.  I think we need one for recipes.   ;D