Author Topic: Franken wins endorsement for Senate in Minnesota  (Read 1242 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Franken wins endorsement for Senate in Minnesota
« on: June 07, 2008, 10:25:31 PM »
He's a funny guy, but a senator?   ???  Norm Coleman is a good legislator.  He can't lose to a comic (at least I hope not). 

Jun 7, 5:32 PM EDT

Franken wins endorsement for Senate in Minnesota

By PATRICK CONDON and BRIAN BAKST
Associated Press Writers

AP Photo/Jim Mone

ROCHESTER, Minn. (AP) -- Al Franken won a resounding endorsement for the U.S. Senate on Saturday from Minnesota Democrats, quickly dispatching with concerns about jokes that offended some and promising a tough challenge to Republican Sen. Norm Coleman.

"To the people of Minnesota, let me say this: I'm not a perfect person," said Franken, a former "Saturday Night Live" writer and performer. "I'm not going to pretend to have all the answers. But I'll tell the truth, I will keep my spine, and I will work for you."

Franken's only competitor, college professor and peace activist Jack Nelson-Pallmeyer, withdrew after Franken passed the necessary 60 percent threshold on the first ballot. Nelson-Pallmeyer proposed that delegates unanimously back Franken, putting him over the top.

Franken's show of strength came as something of a surprise after a rocky few weeks in which some Democrats, led by U.S. Rep. Betty McCollum, criticized a racy column he wrote for Playboy magazine in 2000 and, earlier this week, joking comments he was reported to have made about rape that were included in a 1995 New York magazine article about "Saturday Night Live."

Rumors flew that Franken's support was collapsing, and that other candidates were considering a late entry into the endorsement stakes. Franken finally tackled the controversy head-on in his nomination speech to delegates, where he said some of the things he said and wrote over 35 years as a writer were "downright offensive."

"I understand that," Franken said. "And I understand that the people of Minnesota deserve a senator who won't say things that make them feel uncomfortable."

Nelson-Pallmeyer said he would work for Franken's election and won't run in the Democratic primary in September, and for now Franken is facing no opposition. But trial attorney Mike Ciresi, who dropped out of the endorsement race several months ago, has said in recent days that he is considering running in the primary.

Republicans have also hammered Franken for months on some of the more outrageous comments and writing from his years as a comedian, as well as problems with his personal finances. They promised to keep up the heat now that he is the chosen Democratic candidate.

Coleman campaign manager Cullen Sheehan attacked Franken as "unqualified, unfit and unprepared to be a United States senator." He said the campaign will employ old Franken material.

"Al Franken wants to wants to talk about Norm Coleman's record. We're not going to be shy about talking about Al Franken's record," Sheehan said.

As he wooed delegates throughout the day, Franken used the Republican assault as a badge of honor and touted himself as someone who can take the fight right back to the GOP.

"The Republicans don't want me to be the nominee," Franken said. "But guess what? Thanks to you, I'm going to be, and guess what? I'm going to beat Norm Coleman by holding him accountable."

On Saturday morning, Franken took a key step in quelling controversy over his past jokes when he earned the endorsement of the feminist caucus of the Democratic-Farmer-Labor Party, as the Democratic Party is known in Minnesota.

Jackie Stevenson, the group's leader, said the caucus was impressed with his direct answers on issues critical to members, including domestic violence. She said Nelson-Pallmeyer had been more vague.

She said the group was willing to look past salacious material from Franken's past that some have considered degrading to women.

"At the time he didn't realize how it would affect him later in life," Stevenson said. "He wouldn't do it again today."

Delegate Mike Zellmer, a 28-year-old retail manager from the Twin Cities suburb of Inver Grove Heights, didn't settle on Franken until recently. He said Franken's war chest, organization and name recognition won him over.

"He can go after Norm Coleman in a way Jack really can't," Zellmer said. Of the controversy surrounding Franken's past, Zellmer said, "I don't think the people of Minnesota will hold it against him."

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/M/MINNESOTA_SENATE_FRANKEN?refresh=1

calmus

• Getbig IV
  • Time is luck.
Re: Franken wins endorsement for Senate in Minnesota
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2008, 10:26:38 PM »

How interesting!

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2008, 03:33:58 AM »
He's a funny guy, but a senator?   ???  Norm Coleman is a good legislator.  He can't lose to a comic
He's not just a comic.  Franken has a strong interest in politics and this guy takes the shit very serious.  This is a guy who studies every last word ever written or spoken on a political subject.  He knows his shit.  It'll be a big mistake to underestimate him because he's funny.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2008, 04:28:35 AM »
Norm is a lib who switched parties to run for office as a republican.

Norm also politicized the heck out of Paul Wellstone's death- practically turning the funeral into a campaign event.

Franken has been oe of his biggest critics.  This one is personal!

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2008, 05:38:12 AM »
He's a funny guy, but a senator?   ???  Norm Coleman is a good legislator.  He can't lose to a comic (at least I hope not). 

I never saw any funny in Al Franken.

Please let me in on "Teh Funney" in his shtick, if you please?
As empty as paradise

TerminalPower

• Getbig III
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2008, 04:31:46 AM »
Typical of Democrats today.  This guy has done nothing to earn the endorsement....just like Hussein Obama.

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2008, 09:12:09 AM »
Typical of Democrats today.  This guy has done nothing to earn the endorsement....just like Hussein Obama.
Good Point!

Vote Republican b/c bad ideas are better than anything offered by the Democrats!

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2008, 12:00:51 PM »
He's not just a comic.  Franken has a strong interest in politics and this guy takes the shit very serious.  This is a guy who studies every last word ever written or spoken on a political subject.  He knows his shit.  It'll be a big mistake to underestimate him because he's funny.

I wouldn't give him that much credit.  He's a comedian.  He has nowhere near Coleman's experience and qualifications.  http://coleman.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=Bio.Biography

I can't take this guy seriously.  I’m not saying he can’t win, I’m saying he shouldn’t over a guy like Coleman. 

I have the same problem with Keith Olbermann.  I always think of the Sports Center theme music every time I see/hear him.   

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2008, 12:01:54 PM »
I never saw any funny in Al Franken.

Please let me in on "Teh Funney" in his shtick, if you please?

He was okay.  His bedroom scenes with Arianna Huffington were kinda funny.  His book titles were funny too. 

TerminalPower

• Getbig III
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2008, 05:26:31 PM »
Good Point!

Vote Republican b/c bad ideas are better than anything offered by the Democrats!

Please don't enter false "facts" or statements as a way to set up a straw man, it's like conversing with a 9 year old.

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2008, 05:50:37 PM »
I wouldn't give him that much credit.  He's a comedian.  He has nowhere near Coleman's experience and qualifications.  http://coleman.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=Bio.Biography

I can't take this guy seriously.  I’m not saying he can’t win, I’m saying he shouldn’t over a guy like Coleman. 

I have the same problem with Keith Olbermann.  I always think of the Sports Center theme music every time I see/hear him.   

You mean like a bodybuilder with mediocre acting ability going on to be Governor of California. :D

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2008, 05:54:52 PM »
You mean like a bodybuilder with mediocre acting ability going on to be Governor of California. :D

lol.  Are you talking about the bodybuilder who came to the U.S. with nothing and built an empire worth about $500 million?   :)

If Al Franken is worth $500 million then we got a comparison. 

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2008, 10:37:07 PM »
lol.  Are you talking about the bodybuilder who came to the U.S. with nothing and built an empire worth about $500 million?   :)

If Al Franken is worth $500 million then we got a comparison. 

Maybe he was talking about the wrestler who went on to be Governor of Minnesota,
...or the hippie beatnik who couldn't sing his way out of a paper bag who went on to be a congressman.
...maybe he was talking about the actor who gave his rumoured commie girlfriend a pass, ...and while president of the screen actor's guild, turned a blind eye to the conflicts of interest held by his friends at a certain "agency"... went on to become Governor of California, ...then eventually President of the USA.

...or maybe he's refering to the little mulatto boy born from Selma destined to become the next POTUS.

It's America, ...where anything is possible!   8)

Franken has an uncanny ability to cut to the heart of things and frame it in palatable & digestible humour.
I don't think anyone with half a brain is going to want to go up against him. Wait and see.
w

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2008, 02:43:20 AM »
lol.  Are you talking about the bodybuilder who came to the U.S. with nothing and built an empire worth about $500,000 million?   :)

If Al Franken is worth $500,000 million then we got a comparison. 
If you're not a career polician you must be rich to be qualified?

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2008, 04:25:59 AM »
Al Franken worth between $4.3 million and $9.9 million - USATODAY.com

Note:  Al Franken didn't marry a Kennedy either!

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2008, 06:05:12 AM »
Please don't enter false "facts" or statements as a way to set up a straw man, it's like conversing with a 9 year old.
Wow, you really got your back covered. 

I was making what we in the human race call: a joke.

But you are stonecold with your highly adept analysis and intelligent criticism of my feeble 'straw argument' laced with 'false "facts" or statements'.

Good for you!

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2008, 04:00:35 PM »
If you're not a career polician you must be rich to be qualified?

I didn't say that and don't believe that.  You were comparing Al Franken to Arnold, after I said Franken isn't as qualified as Coleman.  I think Coleman is head and shoulders better qualified than Franken. 

I didn't have a problem with Arnold because he was a businessman.  Anyone who can turn nothing into $500 million is okay in my book.