Author Topic: Was Jim Valvano more of a basketball genius than he got credit for?  (Read 1219 times)

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."

Vinny Del Negro is the new coach of the Chicago Bulls.  He played for Jim Valvano in the 80s.

Nate McMillan is the current Portland (and former Seattle) coach.  He played for Jim Valvano in the 80s.

Sidney Lowe coached Minnesota and Memphis in the NBA.  He played for and won an NCAA title with Jim Valvano in the 80s. 

For all the talk about recruiting improprieties and for all the criticism he received for bringing in druggies like Chris Washburn, it looks like Valvano did bring in and coach some quality men after all. 

I don't know too many coaches who have 3 former players coaching in the NBA (let alone 2 at the same time), so I'd have to say that Jimmy V has left behind a much better legacy than anyone would've imagined when he first departed the NC State campus almost 20 years ago.

body88

Re: Was Jim Valvano more of a basketball genius than he got credit for?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 03:10:58 PM »
IMO, NBA coaches have the least impact on a team. I would say football coaches have the greatest, with baseball falling somwhere in between....

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 09:36:00 PM »
Vinny Del Negro is the new coach of the Chicago Bulls.  He played for Jim Valvano in the 80s.

Nate McMillan is the current Portland (and former Seattle) coach.  He played for Jim Valvano in the 80s.

Sidney Lowe coached Minnesota and Memphis in the NBA.  He played for and won an NCAA title with Jim Valvano in the 80s. 

For all the talk about recruiting improprieties and for all the criticism he received for bringing in druggies like Chris Washburn, it looks like Valvano did bring in and coach some quality men after all. 

I don't know too many coaches who have 3 former players coaching in the NBA (let alone 2 at the same time), so I'd have to say that Jimmy V has left behind a much better legacy than anyone would've imagined when he first departed the NC State campus almost 20 years ago.

Interesting info.  Sort of like the Bill Walsh progeny. 

jerseyhurricane

• Getbig IV
  • who's next ???
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 04:44:06 PM »
IMO, NBA coaches have the least impact on a team. I would say football coaches have the greatest, with baseball falling somwhere in between....

I disagree...Sixers couldn't beat a high school team until they got Larry Brown, who taught them "how to play the right way..."
I Bleed PhillyEagle

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 04:55:13 PM »

i think baseball caoches have the least impact

as for jim, he probably wasn't that smart but everybody says you're a genius if your team upsets a better team so yeah he probably got too much credit

E
E