Author Topic: Chiropractic Dangers  (Read 21115 times)

restrikted

• Getbig I
Re: Chiropractic Dangers
« Reply #125 on: June 13, 2008, 01:36:52 AM »
Moosejay;

135Kpatients/18 years = 7,500/year= /50weeks= 150week=/5days=30 patients per day=/8hours=3.75 patients per hour-everyday, 50 weeks per year for 18 years.......Me thinks MJ exaggerating.

anytime I've gone in to get my back cracked... less then 5 min. I am sure he can get at least 8-10 visits in n hour

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #126 on: June 13, 2008, 04:14:47 AM »
anytime I've gone in to get my back cracked... less then 5 min. I am sure he can get at least 8-10 visits in n hour

Yeah the actual time on the adjustment table is very short, like you said less than 5 mins thats for sure, the actual time is more like 2 mins.

troponin

• Getbig III
  • www.troponinnutrition.com
« Reply #127 on: June 13, 2008, 04:38:29 AM »
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/11856.php

Some studies show that nearly 100,000 people DIE each year from medical errors.

To put this in perspective, since 2001 approximately 3,000 Americans have died from acts of terrorism.
During that same time frame, somewhere on the order of 500,000 Americans have died from medical errors. 

I have no horse in this race. 
My wife will be graduating dental school this year, which some would say is school for those that couldn't get into medical school.....so I suppose I can sympathize with both parties.

The truth of the matter is, people die every day in large numbers from various forms of health care malpractice.  This comes from many reasons, not the least of which is the fact that "status" seems to hold much more weight for health care practitioners than "altruism" could ever hope to hold.

www.trueprotein.com
Troponin Nutritio

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #128 on: June 13, 2008, 05:32:29 AM »

To put this in perspective, since 2001 approximately 3,000 Americans have died from acts of terrorism.
During that same time frame, somewhere on the order of 500,000 Americans have died from medical errors. 

My wife will be graduating dental school this year, which some would say is school for those that couldn't get into medical school.....so I suppose I can sympathize with both parties.

The truth of the matter is, people die every day in large numbers from various forms of health care malpractice.  This comes from many reasons, not the least of which is the fact that "status" seems to hold much more weight for health care practitioners than "altruism" could ever hope to hold.
That's only because 'altruism' doesn't lobby Congress as successfully as the AMA.  ;)

Brutal_1

• Getbig V
  • Your best is...
« Reply #129 on: June 13, 2008, 06:37:42 AM »

lol, if you really wanted to put it into perspective you would've posted the number of people that see a doctor every year  ;)

(home physicians, ER, family practice, private practices, hospitals etc.)
just not good enough

troponin

• Getbig III
« Reply #130 on: June 13, 2008, 07:20:43 AM »

lol, if you really wanted to put it into perspective you would've posted the number of people that see a doctor every year  ;)

(home physicians, ER, family practice, private practices, hospitals etc.)

Would percentages be better?

25% of Medicare patients who were hospitalized from 2000 to 2002 and experienced a patient-safety incident died.

81% of the total 323,993 deaths among Medicare patients in those years who developed one or more patient-safety incidents were directly attributable to the incident(s).

Percentages remove some of the ambiguity that numbers can create. 
The point isn't necessarily the numbers or the percentages.  The point is that no health care professional is infallible.

All parties should recognize and consider this truth every time they're a "patient," regardless of the circumstances.
www.trueprotein.com
Troponin Nutritio

SuperFatTroll

• Getbig II
  • -TEAM MOWER-
« Reply #131 on: June 13, 2008, 08:00:53 AM »
bodybuildermdpitt,man i've got a question for you,what do you think about acupuncture? it is any good to treat minor musculars problems like infiammations,stiffness?

Brutal_1

• Getbig V
  • Your best is...
« Reply #132 on: June 13, 2008, 08:12:47 AM »

Okay, fine...I agree with that.

But here's why you can't simply compare medicine with other fields of healthcare.

How many terminally ill patients do other fields of healthcare deal with?  Seriously, somebody goes to a chiropracter for a stiff neck, compared to someone coming in for end-stage renal disease, or DVT at a hospital.  You're telling me the number of deaths in those two cases equal the same?! no! In fact, in that case I would tend to agree more with "bodybuildermdpitt" that the number of deaths due to malpractice in other fields is far less acceptible than in medicine.  I hate to put this bluntly, but most of the time, ESPECIALLY with the poor, uneducated, and elderly, they don't come to see a doctor until it's too late...then when they die it's due to medical errors  ::)  please ::)

the point of my little rant is that no, medicine isn't perfect, but it's dealing with an entirely different set of problem than say chiropractors or naturopaths deal with, so you can't just compare the numbers.   

Oh, and congrats to your wife  ;)

I just had a friend get rejected from every dental school he applied to, so I know it's not easy
just not good enough

troponin

• Getbig III
« Reply #133 on: June 13, 2008, 08:29:31 AM »

the point of my little rant is that no, medicine isn't perfect, but it's dealing with an entirely different set of problem than say chiropractors or naturopaths deal with, so you can't just compare the numbers.   

Oh, and congrats to your wife  ;)

I just had a friend get rejected from every dental school he applied to, so I know it's not easy

Yeah, she's the brains in our outfit.  Her path to dentistry is a bit odd.  She was pre-law in undergrad and turned down a full-ride scholarship to law school to return to undergrad for dental pre-requisites. 

It may appear that I'm siding with chiropractors, which isn't the case.  There are many problems with the situations in this thread. 

Physicians have the only job where they're not "allowed" to make a mistake. 
Unfortunately, this seems to exaccerbate the "status" problem to fuel the scenario where physicians refuse to admit that they're not perfect. 

With hiding sentinel events somewhat of a "learned skill" in hospitals, there is a lot of room for improvements for anyone that is involved in "treating" a patient.

I'm very pro physicians, especially the commitment in time, energy, and years to become one. 
I'm very anti-arrogance and authoritarian statements though.
www.trueprotein.com
Troponin Nutritio

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #134 on: June 13, 2008, 08:48:25 AM »
New Haven/Hamden

that shit is gangsta.

Moosejay

« Reply #135 on: June 13, 2008, 09:55:44 AM »
that shit is gangsta.

Yeah...some of New Haven is dangerous...but it has improved quite a bit.

Brutal_1

• Getbig V
  • Your best is...
« Reply #136 on: June 13, 2008, 10:38:16 AM »

I'm very pro physicians, especially the commitment in time, energy, and years to become one. 
I'm very anti-arrogance and authoritarian statements though.

I hear that!  ;)
just not good enough

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #137 on: June 13, 2008, 10:40:18 AM »
Yeah...some of New Haven is dangerous...but it has improved quite a bit.

I grew up in Cleveland.  We used to sit at the bus stop and talk about all the crazy shit those New Haven gangbangers did.  Ruthless dudes!

Moosejay

« Reply #138 on: June 13, 2008, 03:13:33 PM »
I grew up in Cleveland.  We used to sit at the bus stop and talk about all the crazy shit those New Haven gangbangers did.  Ruthless dudes!

REALLY?

That rep travelled that far?

Once, we were causing havoc on a city bus when we were, like, in 9th grade.

The bus driver had had enough...let us ALL out on a route called 'Congress Avenue'...lemme tell you...we were in prep school, and all were wearing ties.

I expected a real, down-home , Louisiana ass-kicking...but.,..somehow, we managed to get home alive.

OAK

• Getbig V
  • "The trial was RIGGED....send me your MONEY!!"

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #140 on: June 13, 2008, 03:20:13 PM »
REALLY?
That rep travelled that far?
Once, we were causing havoc on a city bus when we were, like, in 9th grade.
The bus driver had had enough...let us ALL out on a route called 'Congress Avenue'...lemme tell you...we were in prep school, and all were wearing ties.
I expected a real, down-home , Louisiana ass-kicking...but.,..somehow, we managed to get home alive.

I watched a biography on N.W.A. and other pioneers of rap.  The cite that Connecticut prep school bus near-scuffle as the inspiration for their own criminal tales.

Moosejay

« Reply #141 on: June 13, 2008, 03:55:59 PM »
I watched a biography on N.W.A. and other pioneers of rap.  The cite that Connecticut prep school bus near-scuffle as the inspiration for their own criminal tales.

Huh...I did not know that!

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #142 on: June 14, 2008, 12:10:51 AM »
Huh...I did not know that!

it's true.  connecticut is where all this gangster shit began.

Moosejay

« Reply #143 on: June 14, 2008, 02:01:00 PM »
it's true.  connecticut is where all this gangster shit began.

I will have to check with my peeps on that

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #144 on: June 14, 2008, 05:33:05 PM »
Hmmm. Interesting article in today's Globe & Mail. An Alberta couple is not only suing their chiropractor, but instigating a $500-million class-action suit against the the whole profession! The game is afoot!

brent2741

• Getbig IV
« Reply #145 on: June 14, 2008, 09:07:34 PM »
Hmmm. Interesting article in today's Globe & Mail. An Alberta couple is not only suing their chiropractor, but instigating a $500-million class-action suit against the the whole profession! The game is afoot!

no big news any and every health profession is under some form of lawsuit at any given time, unfortunately  these are the times we live in.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #146 on: June 14, 2008, 09:17:45 PM »
To the doctors out there.  What do you think of Chinese medicine and the use of herbs and acupuncture.  Is that all bullshit too.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #147 on: June 15, 2008, 03:59:07 AM »
no big news any and every health profession is under some form of lawsuit at any given time, unfortunately  these are the times we live in.
Yeah, I know but this article seemed to suggest to me a bit of a tipping point, not the usual litigious free-for-all. Ah well, we'll see how it plays out.

The ChemistV2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #148 on: June 15, 2008, 10:38:59 AM »
To the doctors out there.  What do you think of Chinese medicine and the use of herbs and acupuncture.  Is that all bullshit too.

You should know that any medicine that doesn't use pharmaceutical drugs and surgery as it's primary method of treatment will be viewed as "Bullshit" from the majority of traditional doctors. Most clinical trials and medical research is funded by pharmaceutical companies, so obviously the idea is to sell the doctors and the general public on using as much medications as possible. First of all, the average person isn't going to make the effort to insure he isn't suffering from nutritional deficiencies, doesn't know how to manage stress levels, doesn't know anything about maintaining a proper PH balance, doesn't understand the importance of getting proper rest or exercise. They get sick..and they want to go to a doctor to take a drug for an instant cure. Never mind it make have taken them years of improper lifestyle habits to manifest their disease. We live in a quick fix society and that's why we have the system we do. For the few that have true knowledge of health, they are less likely to get on the Medical Merry-go Round. Of course people who bring up these points are labeled "Health Nuts", as if it's nutty to seek understanding about disease prevention as opposed to pharmaceutically managing a symptom.

onlyme

• Getbig V
  • Don't Fuck With Bears
« Reply #149 on: June 15, 2008, 11:07:28 AM »
You should know that any medicine that doesn't use pharmaceutical drugs and surgery as it's primary method of treatment will be viewed as "Bullshit" from the majority of traditional doctors. Most clinical trials and medical research is funded by pharmaceutical companies, so obviously the idea is to sell the doctors and the general public on using as much medications as possible. First of all, the average person isn't going to make the effort to insure he isn't suffering from nutritional deficiencies, doesn't know how to manage stress levels, doesn't know anything about maintaining a proper PH balance, doesn't understand the importance of getting proper rest or exercise. They get sick..and they want to go to a doctor to take a drug for an instant cure. Never mind it make have taken them years of improper lifestyle habits to manifest their disease. We live in a quick fix society and that's why we have the system we do. For the few that have true knowledge of health, they are less likely to get on the Medical Merry-go Round. Of course people who bring up these points are labeled "Health Nuts", as if it's nutty to seek understanding about disease prevention as opposed to pharmaceutically managing a symptom.

The funny thing is the person I go to his family has been in the business for 300 years.  He has all kinds of old stuff handed down from his ancestors.  He turned a 3 bedroom house into a herbal factory.  He travels around the world collecting the best and most potent herbs and he does everything from this house.  He sell it for $60 a gallon.  At least that is what my mixture costs.  He has more than 80 medical doctors come to him for his mixture.  Several top executives including Steve Wynn is on a weekly consumption of this stuff.  He is very well known and does absolutely no advertising.  100% word of mouth.  It just shows that the people who charge everyone else for drugs in reality believe in the cures and treatments that aren't FDA approved.  He also treat many of these same doctors and their relatives with acupuncture and massage therapy.