Author Topic: I'm kinda broke at the moment...  (Read 2085 times)

TroubleReady39

• Getbig II
I'm kinda broke at the moment...
« on: June 11, 2008, 12:18:42 PM »
I want to buy protein powder and it's just crazy how much it costs.

so, aside from protein powder, what are the absolute cheapest sources of good bodybuilding foods?  potatoes?  tuna?  egg whites seem so expensive now.

i'm paying for my own food suddenly, and WOW.

candidizzle

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= TRB953
Re: I'm kinda broke at the moment...
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 12:24:27 PM »
tuna peanuts and rice

Emmortal

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 12:41:46 PM »
Canned salmon.

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 12:56:37 PM »
Rice and beans.

Rice and lentils.

Corn, black beans, diced tomatoes and chili peppers.

Only problem is, rice and corn are going up in price too.   :(

A2daMIR

• Getbig III
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 06:02:57 PM »
tuna, eggs,brown rice... that ought to take care of the basics...

but your local supermarket should have chicken and steak on sle, sometimes they're  very cheap

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 06:12:28 PM »
i've preached this.. most big box stores sell chicken thighs for 10lbs under 5 bucks. Cans of tuna and eggs were also suggestions...all are ridiculously cheap.

darksol

• Getbig III
  • ProSportNutrition.net
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2008, 02:38:42 PM »
I hear semen has 35 grams of protien / ounce.   ;D
Now if I could only convince my wife that its essential to her daily diet

furn

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2008, 03:21:54 PM »
Buy in bulk, and put in the frozer everything you can.

In the long run you will see some money saving

G.R.H.

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2008, 03:36:54 PM »
pb & j big guy! and tons of milk!  8)

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2008, 03:41:03 PM »
pb & j big guy! and tons of milk!  8)
thats a whole lot of energy and pretty mch zero building blocks...

G.R.H.

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2008, 04:10:31 PM »
y do u say that?! pb & j rules!  :)

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2008, 05:17:15 PM »
y do u say that?! pb & j rules!  :)
peanut butter = fat, jelly = carbs, bread= carbs... thats a whole lot of construction wrkers and salary for them to do the work but where are the boards and building blocks and bricks for them to build with (protein !! ) ????

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2008, 02:36:36 PM »
I hear semen has 35 grams of protien / ounce.   ;D
Now if I could only convince my wife that its essential to her daily diet

LOL

An ugly rumor likely started by men!  Of course, once again, the wife is right!  ;D
Approx. 1 tablespoon contains about 10% sperm and 90% seminal fluid (simple sugars, protein, and small amounts of vitamins, minerals and hormones). The amount of protein is very small, and estimated to be only about 6mg and about 5-10 calories.
:

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2008, 04:10:37 PM »
LOL

An ugly rumor likely started by men!  Of course, once again, the wife is right!  ;D
Approx. 1 tablespoon contains about 10% sperm and 90% seminal fluid (simple sugars, protein, and small amounts of vitamins, minerals and hormones). The amount of protein is very small, and estimated to be only about 6mg and about 5-10 calories.

damn princess, your quite the semen expert  ;D

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2008, 08:01:56 PM »
damn princess, your quite the semen expert  ;D

It's important all women know the truth!

8)
:

candidizzle

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2008, 08:11:27 PM »

It's important all women know the truth!

8)
my women will remain ignorant...  :D

IrishMuscle84

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2008, 08:29:54 PM »
A real good source of protein thats cheap and thats probably one my favorite things to Snack on or have with a meal is Cottage Cheese.

Cindy

• Competitors II
  • Getbig II
  • www.rippedacademy.com
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2008, 08:24:29 PM »
LOL

Thanks Princess, my husband's been lying all these years! (6 Milligrams??)
O

darksol

• Getbig III
  • ProSportNutrition.net
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2008, 07:51:36 PM »
Its about the quality not the quantity.  I tried to convince her that semen contains a special protein chain that is rare in foods and are essential for muscle building, fat loss, and overall good health.  Unfortunately I couldn't find any studies to back up my wishes.

LOL

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2008, 07:54:55 PM »
LOL

it still good for you,saddle up girl ;D

bench

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
  • 1687 confirmed kills and counting
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2008, 10:52:17 AM »

so, aside from protein powder, what are the absolute cheapest sources of good bodybuilding foods?  potatoes?  tuna?  egg whites seem so expensive now.

Even at the increased prices (so long as you buy a reasonably-priced brand) protein powder is the cheapest available source of protein around, far cheaper than food.  Don't believe the hype!

Allow me to illustrate by comparing a cheap protein powder to a cheap food-based source of protein.

Protein Powder

Let's take an inexpensive brand of protein powder, Body Fortress, 2lb costs around $13 with tax at Target.  It contains 30 servings with 23 grams of protein a serving.  That equals 690 grams of protein.  This equals a cost of $1 for 53 grams of protein

Food

Now, take a can of tuna (one of the cheapest protein sources from food of which I am aware).  Let's say you find a fair price of $1 per can which gives you 30 grams of protein.  This equals a cost of $1 for 30 grams of protein.

Conclusion

Protein powder is more economical that the cheapest food-based protein source you can buy, by almost a 2-1 margin!

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2008, 11:29:11 AM »
Even at the increased prices (so long as you buy a reasonably-priced brand) protein powder is the cheapest available source of protein around, far cheaper than food.  Don't believe the hype!

Allow me to illustrate by comparing a cheap protein powder to a cheap food-based source of protein.

Protein Powder

Let's take an inexpensive brand of protein powder, Body Fortress, 2lb costs around $13 with tax at Target.  It contains 30 servings with 23 grams of protein a serving.  That equals 690 grams of protein.  This equals a cost of $1 for 53 grams of protein

Food

Now, take a can of tuna (one of the cheapest protein sources from food of which I am aware).  Let's say you find a fair price of $1 per can which gives you 30 grams of protein.  This equals a cost of $1 for 30 grams of protein.

Conclusion

Protein powder is more economical that the cheapest food-based protein source you can buy, by almost a 2-1 margin!

That's true.....UNLESS you get Wal-Mart's generic brand of tuna (Great Value) in the blue cans. They go for $0.56 per can (at least, they did, the last time I bought some two weeks ago). And, that's the chunk light kind; the albacore probably costs aorund that $1 per can.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2008, 11:38:18 AM »

I feel your pain. I just used up the last of the protein powder I got from Vitamin Shoppe, during the "Buy one; get one 50% off" sale on all Vitamin-Shoppe-brand products. At the time, a 5-lb jug of Whey Tech cost $27 (up from $25 in January). Now, those jugs cost $35.

You have one of two options, with regards to protein powder:

1) Take MidniteRambo's advice and start using Body Fortress protein from Wal-Mart (as I have now done).

2) Comb EVERY GNC you can find and look for marked-down (i.e. soon-to-expire) protein, be it powders or RTDs, ESPECIALLY when the first week of the month hits (I'm going to pick up another 4-pack of NITRO-TECH RTDs for $7.50....if they still have them, as the particular store where I saw them).

3) Notwithstanding the recent price hike, when Vitamin Shoppe has another "Buy one; get one 50% off" promotion.....LOAD UP ON WHEY TECH!!!!

As far as regular foods go, look for Wal-Mart (Great Value)-brand tuna and canned chicken, the latter runs for $2.00 for a 12.5-oz can (the equivalent of about 21/2 chicken breasts).

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2008, 01:49:50 PM »

2) Comb EVERY GNC you can find and look for marked-down (i.e. soon-to-expire) protein, be it powders or RTDs, ESPECIALLY when the first week of the month hits (I'm going to pick up another 4-pack of NITRO-TECH RTDs for $7.50....if they still have them, as the particular store where I saw them).

3) Notwithstanding the recent price hike, when Vitamin Shoppe has another "Buy one; get one 50% off" promotion.....LOAD UP ON WHEY TECH!!!!

I wonder if freezing whey would extend its life?
: