Author Topic: I hope McCain picks Huckabee as his running mate  (Read 1302 times)

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
I hope McCain picks Huckabee as his running mate
« on: June 12, 2008, 09:50:35 AM »
Huck Yeah
The gonzo conservatism of Mike Huckabee.

by Ross Douthat,  The New Republic  (tnr.com)
Published: Wednesday, June 25, 2008

If the first rule of picking a running mate is to risk as little harm to the ticket as possible, then Mike Huckabee shouldn't be John McCain's first choice for veep--or his second, third, or fourth, for that matter. With the exception of a certain junior senator from Illinois, Huckabee is easily the most interesting political talent to emerge during this campaign season. But he's also the most unpolished and unpredictable, with a longer list of enemies than any politician so new to the national stage ought to have and a regiment of Arkansas skeletons clattering around in his closet. Few of McCain's potential veeps are so vulnerable to caricature, few would draw so much fire from within the GOP, and few are as easy to imagine lurching cheerfully off-message in the heat of the campaign, alienating a key constituency with an ill-timed gaffe or a badly played attempt at humor.

But, in passing over Huckabee--as he almost certainly will--McCain will be passing over a politician who embodies more than a few of the traits that the Arizona senator ought to be looking for in a running mate, both in terms of reinforcing his strengths and balancing out his weaknesses. Like McCain, Huckabee has self-consciously branded himself a "different kind of Republican," which happens to be the only sort of Republican with a chance to win the White House this November. But he's a different kind of "different kind of Republican" than the Arizona senator--a competent governor rather than a maverick legislator, with a record that's defined by kitchen-table issues like health care, education, and transportation rather than the more boutique causes (campaign-finance reform, say, or the crusade against earmarks) that McCain tends to champion.

Both men share a reformist temper, but Huckabee's is grounded more in religious conviction than in the ideals of honor and national service that animate McCain. Both speak the language of populism, but their appeals are pitched to different audiences: in McCain's case, to good-government enthusiasts and foes of "special interests"; in Huckabee's, to a rising generation of religious conservatives interested in expanding their movement's portfolio to encompass issues like poverty and the environment as well as abortion and same-sex marriage. Both share an easy rapport with the press, but their personal styles--the smooth-talking charmer versus the gruff straight-shooter--are complementary rather than redundant. And both share a Scots-Irish patrimony, which promises to be useful in a race that may be decided in the Scots-Irish belt that runs from Arkansas and Missouri up to Pennsylvania and Ohio, while representing very different types within that demographic--the charismatic preacher and the military man. (Given that the relationship between a president and vice president is often defined by mutual distrust, Huckabee's obvious man-crush on McCain would also represent a plus.)

This rosy assessment, of course, leaves out a few crucial points. Huckabee talks a vastly better recession-year game on issues like health care and the economy than McCain, but, when it comes to actual policy, his expertise seems to end at the Arkansas border. His achievements as governor were real enough, but he ran for president on the too-good-to-be-true Fair-Tax boondoggle and not much else. He represents a constituency--religious conservatives--that McCain badly needs to turn out in November, but he's picked fights with just about every other interest group on the contemporary right, from libertarians to supply-siders to Rush Limbaugh-listeners, most of whom already have more than a few reasons to be suspicious of McCain.

Moreover, while Huckabee speaks the language of new-model evangelicalism, cut loose from the bigotries of Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson, he has enough hard-shell Baptist baggage of his own to give the willies to everyone from Catholic voters (who conspicuously failed to embrace him in states like Michigan and New Hampshire) to business-class Republicans to secular journalists. The press corps smiled on Huckabee during the primary season for many of the same reasons it liked McCain way back in 2000--because he was a plucky and accessible underdog taking on the GOP establishment on a shoestring budget. But it's hard to imagine that he'd earn the same sort of favorable coverage once reporters contemplated the prospect of having a crypto-Creationist a heartbeat away from the presidency.

A McCain-Huckabee ticket, then, would make sense only if McCain were running a very different sort of campaign--if he were in the mood to blow up the GOP in the name of "creative destruction," as his neo-conservative admirers famously urged him to do back in 2000, rather than betting that he can hold the fracturing, feuding Reagan coalition together long enough to achieve one last victory. Picking Huckabee would represent a gamble that the future of the party lies with some odd amalgam of right-wing heterodoxies; that many of the movement-conservative institutions that served the GOP during its rise to power need to be attacked, rather than reformed; and that the best way to push the Republican Party beyond its current impasse would be to run a ramshackle, ideologically confusing, shoot-from-the-hip campaign and hope it turned out OK in the end.

This is not, to put it mildly, the way that McCain seems intent on conducting his general-election campaign--which is probably a wise decision, since political "creative destruction" is often more destructive than creative. But it would sure be fun to watch.

Ross Douthat is a senior editor at The Atlantic.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: I hope McCain picks Huckabee as his running mate
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 09:53:31 AM »
Okay.  But he won't.  I like huck, but he's just weird.

The job is Romney's.  He just bought a 12M mansion in California.  He will be the VP candidate.

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 10:04:33 AM »
What do you guys think helps McCain more - a real Republican like Romney who will help with the conservative fanbase he's alienated, or someone more moderate to appeal to independents?
Y

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 10:07:03 AM »
What do you guys think helps McCain more - a real Republican like Romney who will help with the conservative fanbase he's alienated, or someone more moderate to appeal to independents?

Romney will probably help draw in the religious zombies but would probably repel an equal number of the same (i.e. "christians" who hate mormons)

net neutral or slighly net negative (IMO)

CQ

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • TGT
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 10:29:03 AM »

Agree. Although Huck would bring entertainment value, which is a plus

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 11:08:46 AM »

Romney has $200 mil that McCain really needs.  Only 8% of the big bush money backers have donated to McCain thus far.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2008, 11:49:29 AM »
I like Huck too.  He'd be a good choice. 

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2008, 09:13:31 PM »

The job is Romney's.  He just bought a 12M mansion in California.  He will be the VP candidate.
I think he will.

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2008, 09:08:44 AM »
Romney will probably help draw in the religious zombies but would probably repel an equal number of the same (i.e. "christians" who hate mormons)

net neutral or slighly net negative (IMO)
A Romney selection for VP will drive a nail in the coffin for a McCain presidency. 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2008, 09:15:48 AM »
A Romney selection for VP will drive a nail in the coffin for a McCain presidency. 

possible.  But romney was probably the guy with the best chance to win in the repub party.  Everywhere Rudy went, his ratings dropped... he wasn't good with people.  Mitt wasn't either, but he had good hair and lots of money.

If the repubs had nominated Ron paul, they woudl have creamed obama in the election.

CQ

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • TGT
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2008, 09:26:10 AM »
possible.  But romney was probably the guy with the best chance to win in the repub party.  Everywhere Rudy went, his ratings dropped... he wasn't good with people.  Mitt wasn't either, but he had good hair and lots of money.

If the repubs had nominated Ron paul, they woudl have creamed obama in the election.

Somewhat agreeing you, McCain was basically the weakest choice the Repubs could have put up.

I think Romney would have been way more deadly againest Obama [or Hill for that matter]

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2008, 09:47:30 AM »
there's still the possibility that Mccain KNOWS he's going to lose, and withdraws in September (if he's down by 20+ points).  Romney/Rudy ticket at last minute - without giving dems time to properly expose/vet them.

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Ron = 'Princess L' & many other gimmicks - FACT!
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2008, 10:03:02 AM »
::)

Somewhat agreeing you, McCain was basically the weakest choice the Repubs could have put up.

I think Romney would have been way more deadly againest Obama [or Hill for that matter]

I agree completely. I'm still somewhat shocked the repubes didn't rally around Romney and nominate him.
!

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2008, 10:10:25 AM »
R

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2008, 11:48:03 AM »

Romney would have actually been much worse.  The only reason that McCain is in the picture now is because all of the other candidates represented too much of what is already in both houses of Congress....a bunch of wimps!  The exceptions were Tancredi, Hunter, Brownback, and Huckabee, all of which are too "conservative" for America these days.  McCain, Romney, and Guiliani are all representatives of the "new" Republican party, which is awful.  It won't be too long before there's really no difference between the two parties. 

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Ron = 'Princess L' & many other gimmicks - FACT!
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2008, 12:10:14 PM »
Huckabee joining Fox News as political commentator
By ANDREW DeMILLO, Associated Press Writer
Fri Jun 13, 10:30 AM ET

Mike Huckabee, a former Republican presidential hopeful, has been hired by Fox News Channel as a political commentator.

"Gov. Huckabee's campaign experience and knowledge of politics makes him a great addition to our ongoing election coverage," Bill Shine, senior vice president of programming, said in a statement Thursday.

Huckabee, who served as governor of Arkansas for 10 1/2 years, dropped out of the race in March, after John McCain won enough delegates to clinch the Republican nomination. Despite a financially strapped campaign, Huckabee won the leadoff caucuses in Iowa and seven other states.

"I hope to bring the unique perspective from `inside the dragon's belly' as well as to try and speak for the millions of hardworking middle-class Americans who really do feel that their voices are not being heard," Huckabee said in a statement released by his daughter, Sarah. "I saw that on the campaign trail and continue to see as I speak to groups of all kinds around the country as well as campaign for other candidates."

Financial terms of the agreement weren't released.

Huckabee, an ordained Baptist preacher, has been mentioned as a potential running mate for McCain. Since leaving the race, Huckabee has formed a political action committee that he says will help raise money for McCain and other Republicans.

!

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2008, 02:19:13 PM »
I heard they're going to hire Hilary next...

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2008, 04:21:38 PM »
I didn't agree with Huckabee on everything (some of the religious stuff) but I certainly liked his style and agreed with many of his common sense approaches.  Definitely the kind of guy I'd like to sit down and talk with.

I thought Romney would have been the GOP nominee too.  I would have been more excited about him than McCain.