Author Topic: Analysis: Many judge the president by the spouse  (Read 1682 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Analysis: Many judge the president by the spouse
« on: June 12, 2008, 12:06:35 PM »
They describe Cindy McCain as "[a] tall, striking blonde with blue eyes . . . ."  They say Michelle Obama Michelle Obama "cuts an impressive figure -- tall, slim and dressed in Jackie-Kennedy-like sheath dresses."

I wonder why they didn't describe Michelle Obama as a tall brunette with brown eyes? 

Analysis: Many judge the president by the spouse
Story Highlights
First ladies can wield enormous influence

Michelle Obama, Cindy McCain have sharply different backgrounds

But both are well-educated and successful in their own careers

By Jill Dougherty
CNN International U.S. Affairs Editor

(CNN) -- A big part of being president is making decisions, and one of the key decisions a would-be president can make is who he or she marries.

Cindy McCain has a master's degree in special education. She is part owner of her father's business.

It's not like deciding whether to press the nuclear button, but first ladies in the United States can wield enormous influence in politics and in society.

They're not elected. They're not paid. There's no precise job description.

But whether it's an elegantly dressed Jacqueline Kennedy giving Americans a tour of the White House, Eleanor Roosevelt speaking on civil rights or Hillary Clinton saying "I suppose I could have stayed home and baked cookies," first ladies are praised, criticized, adored and scorned -- but never ignored.

The two women poised for the job, 54-year-old Cindy McCain, wife of Republican Sen. John McCain, and 44-year-old Michelle Obama, wife of Democratic Sen. Barack Obama, come from strikingly different backgrounds. 

McCain is the only child of a wealthy Arizona businessman, James Hensley, founder of Hensley & Co., a major distributor of Budweiser beer. Her stake in the business is estimated to be at least $100 million.

She refused to release her full tax returns, saying "I am not the candidate," but later provided summary pages of her 2006 taxes without details.

Cindy McCain has a master's degree in special education. She met John McCain in 1979 when he was the U.S. Navy's liaison to the Senate. He was 18 years older than she. He divorced his wife and married Cindy in 1980.

The McCains have four children, including a daughter adopted from an orphanage in Bangladesh.

A tall, striking blonde with blue eyes, Cindy McCain has had health issues including a near-fatal stroke in 2004 and a battle with prescription drugs that she says is behind her.

In an interview with CNN, McCain said her priority in life is charity.

"I've been internationally involved in many, many things," she said.

"Land mine removal, children's health care, poverty around the world -- and I will continue that."

On the campaign trail, always dressed impeccably, she stays "on message" but did take a swipe at Michelle Obama after her statement, "For the first time in my adult lifetime, I'm really proud of my country."

"I don't know about you," McCain said in February, "...I'm very proud of my country."

Michelle Obama has a blunt style and a wry, quirky sense of humor that goes over well with supporters.

She doesn't mince words. In an interview with CNN, she said, "I think race is always -- still, in this country, it's always on the table."

Michelle Obama was raised in a working-class family in Chicago, Illinois, but educated at some of America's elite universities: Princeton and Harvard Law School.

She was hired by a top-flight law firm in Chicago and met Barack Obama when she was assigned to mentor him. They married in 1992 and have two young daughters.

Michelle Obama cuts an impressive figure -- tall, slim and dressed in Jackie-Kennedy-like sheath dresses. If her husband is elected, she will make history as the first African-American first lady.

She has given insights into her husband's domestic behavior: He doesn't pick up his socks.

Cindy McCain praises her husband as a fighter who won't give up.

Will we learn more of substance? Their husbands offer starkly different views of what they would do in office and Americans often look to their first ladies as a window into the thinking of the president.

We're all ears.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/06/11/first.ladies/index.html

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: Analysis: Many judge the president by the spouse
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 12:08:50 PM »
Does either of them act like a trollup and a cuunt?

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 02:07:57 PM »
Does either of them act like a trollup and a cuunt?

I heard one candidate thinks his wife does.

Thanks for that article BB.  No more budweiser for me.

I love how they call Cindy an accomplished woman in her own right. She's living on Daddy's wealth.
She has what she has because she was born into it, ...she didn't earn it or create it, she slipped into it.
w

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Ron = 'Princess L' & many other gimmicks - FACT!
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 04:41:08 PM »
(White male) Republicans often seem to have a problem with well educated, assertive wives. This has been displayed in the vitriol directed towards Hillary Clinton, Theresa Kerry, and what appears to be animosity towards Michelle Obama.
!

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 04:45:08 PM »
As opposed to the bullshit posted about Nancy Reagan at the Huffington post. If the wife says nothing, then there is no reason to say anything about her. If she becomes news then she is fair game. That is how the game is played. She can say and do what she wants, but if she says something ina public forum, then she is open to the associated BS, and should be prepared for it.
L

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 04:48:34 PM »
As opposed to the bullshit posted about Nancy Reagan at the Huffington post. If the wife says nothing, then there is no reason to say anything about her. If she becomes news then she is fair game. That is how the game is played. She can say and do what she wants, but if she says something ina public forum, then she is open to the associated BS, and should be prepared for it.
So white male republicans want a spouse that is dumb, silent and bakes cookies with a plastic smile. The Steptford Wife programmed to please and obey her man. Exactly as I thought.  ;)
!

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2008, 04:51:50 PM »
Ok...nice ridiculous response which has nothing to do with anything. Can u attack Mrs Bush on anything, does she make speeches, say  anything, no she does some charity/goodwill work and thats it. But if ur Hil, and u try and develop national policy on healthcare..ur fair game. If a Repub Presidents' wife puts herself out there, then she is fair game.
L

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2008, 04:54:44 PM »
Ok...nice ridiculous response which has nothing to do with anything. Can u attack Mrs Bush on anything, does she make speeches, say  anything, no she does some charity/goodwill work and thats it. But if ur Hil, and u try and develop national policy on healthcare..ur fair game. If a Repub Presidents' wife puts herself out there, then she is fair game.
It has everything to do with your response and the behavior of the republicans and the right wing media over the last sixteen years.  ;)
!

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2008, 05:12:29 PM »
Aagain..much like Obama..no substance. The media is now and has been left for a long time. Show me a pattern that it is not. Rather, Moyers, Kronkite, Brockaw...etc etc. The damm NYT's. All major news outlets and all leftist to the point of distorting news. And don't give me Fox news as ur shining example. Unless u are prepared to show me examples..i have nothing for u.
L

CQ

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • TGT
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2008, 05:18:50 PM »

I agree that would be the nice and proper thing to do, seems not to work that way though. The whole thing with McCain last time, alleging his adopted daughter was illegitimate from an affair, was as low as you can go - bringing an 8 year old into it. Press says she read about it on google and was not happy, poor site.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2008, 05:20:25 PM »
I agree...bottom line...open ur mouth, stump for ur husband or wife..ur fair game.
L

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2008, 09:47:21 PM »
(White male) Republicans often seem to have a problem with well educated, assertive wives. This has been displayed in the vitriol directed towards Hillary Clinton, Theresa Kerry, and what appears to be animosity towards Michelle Obama.

That's funny, ...so do the Taliban. Republicans and the Taliban seem to have a few things in common.  :P
w

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2008, 09:51:51 PM »

Which Mrs. Bush are you referring to? Seems to me both of them have put their feet in their mouth.
Didn't the first say the Katrina victims were happy becase they were better off, ...that Katrina worked out well for them? and the 2nd one said something the other day about Myanmar, ...couldn't even get their name right,
...she called them Burmese.
w

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2008, 09:53:59 PM »
Honestly I would do McCains wife.

8)
S

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2008, 09:59:04 PM »
I heard one candidate thinks his wife does.

Thanks for that article BB.  No more budweiser for me.

I love how they call Cindy an accomplished woman in her own right. She's living on Daddy's wealth.
She has what she has because she was born into it, ...she didn't earn it or create it, she slipped into it.

Aren't you a lesbian?
I hate the State.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2008, 10:01:10 PM »
Aren't you a lesbian?

no, ...but if my choices were limited to the men on Getbig, ...I might go that route.
w

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2008, 10:03:30 PM »
no, ...but if my choices were limited to the men on Getbig, ...I might go that route.

What a generalisation! I could have sworn you were a lesbian.
I hate the State.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2008, 10:28:49 PM »
Honestly I would do McCains wife.

8)
;D fo sho  ;D

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2008, 03:27:25 AM »
Can u attack Mrs Bush on anything,

She smokes - and BB attacks obama on that.  (because he quit). 

Also I hear she's a terrible driver...

windsor88

• Getbig IV
  • Victim of the Drug War
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2008, 03:52:54 AM »
She smokes - and BB attacks obama on that.  (because he quit). 

Also I hear she's a terrible driver...

LOL..NICE.   ;D

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2008, 06:55:34 AM »
>:(
!