Author Topic: Barack Obama and Soft Power  (Read 1113 times)

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Ron = 'Princess L' & many other gimmicks - FACT!
Barack Obama and Soft Power
« on: June 12, 2008, 04:19:10 PM »

By Joeseph Nye

I have spent the past month lecturing in Oxford and traveling in Europe where Barack Obama could be elected in a landslide. I suspect that this fascination with Obama is true in many parts of the world. In fact, as I have said before, it is difficult to think of any single act that would do more to restore America's soft power than the election of Obama to the presidency.

Soft power is the ability to obtain the outcomes one wants through attraction rather than using the carrots and sticks of payment or coercion. As I describe in my new book The Powers to Lead, in individuals soft power rests on the skills of emotional intelligence, vision, and communication that Obama possesses in abundance. In nations, it rests upon culture (where it is attractive to others), values (when they are applied without hypocrisy), and policies (when they are inclusive and seen as legitimate in the eyes of others.)

Polls show that American soft power has declined quite dramatically in much of the world over the past eight years. Some say this is structural, and resentment is the price we pay for being the biggest kid on the block. But it matters greatly whether the big kid is seen as a friend or a bully. In much of the world we have been seen as a bully as a result of the Bush Administration policies.

Unfortunately, a President Obama will inherit a number of policy problems such as Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Iran and North Korea where hard power plays a large role. If he drops the ball on any of these issues, they will devour his political capital. At the same time, he will have to be careful not to let this inherited legacy of problems define his presidency. Some time between November 4 and January 20, he will need to indicate a new tone in foreign policy which shows that we will once again export hope rather than fear. This could take several forms: announcement of an intent to close Guantanamo; dropping the term "global war on terror;" creation of a special bipartisan group to formulate a new policy on climate change; a "listening trip" to Asia, and so forth. Electing Obama will greatly help restore America's soft power as a nation that can recreate itself, but the election alone will not be sufficient. It is not too soon to start thinking about symbols and policies for the days immediately after the election.

!

youandme

• Getbig V
Re: Barack Obama and Soft Power
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 04:27:57 PM »
awesome so he won't use a carrot stick but "charm"

yeah kill em with your looks  ::)

lets all hold hands and make a circle around the globe

peace love and happiness

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 04:31:57 PM »
awesome so he won't use a carrot stick but "charm"

yeah kill em with your looks  ::)

lets all hold hands and make a circle around the globe

peace love and happiness
Yes, that's much worse than war, hatred, and fear. Yeah, the world needs much more of those things.  ::)
!

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 04:42:36 PM »
Without calling names and getting stupid..please show me where this has worked. I want two and I want them to be very clear. Also i want the threats to have been real and a major dnager to us. Then we can debate the merits of this.
L

Benny B

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 04:56:50 PM »
Without calling names and getting stupid..please show me where this has worked. I want two and I want them to be very clear. Also i want the threats to have been real and a major dnager to us. Then we can debate the merits of this.
You don't believe the fact that previous U.S. presidents were liked overseas aided in America maintaining peace and stability, passing treaties and trade agreements that were to America's advantage?
!

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 05:02:50 PM »
Show me where we get what we want with the various douchbags around the world using this strategy. This works with people who aren't looking to kill us, but we've done that forever. But if we are to continue as a nation, we can't appear weak to anybody.. Yes diplomacy needs to play apart. My job in the Army is to find non-kinetic responses to problems. If I can get u to do what i need u to do without wasting American lives and supplies then I win...thats a simplification, but it illustrates that I have a firm grasp on what we're discussing.
L

CARTEL

• Getbig V
  • Have a good time, all the time.
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2008, 10:11:55 PM »
They used this strategy against Hitler and he damn near took over Europe, Asia and Africa.

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2008, 11:03:34 PM »
Extremists only listen to violence, brutality and oppression. All the talking in the world isn't going to do shit.

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2008, 06:36:46 AM »
I'll give this thread a pity terrorist fist bump.

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2008, 07:33:04 AM »

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2008, 11:26:39 AM »
I'll give this thread a pity terrorist fist bump.

Hi, F.I.R.E.D. Hill  :)