Author Topic: $10/gallon will solve all problems  (Read 7054 times)

Red Hook

• Getbig V
$10/gallon will solve all problems
« on: June 13, 2008, 05:19:09 AM »
In the US I still see tons of SUV/Trucks with only 1 person in it. Those things are gas guzzlers yet people are still driving them. Also the average American car is pretty large.

I read that in Europe they are average nearly 40 mpg while we are averaging 25 mpg.

Since we can't control supply (OPEC), I contend that we should control our demand.  This can be accomplished by taxing gasoline to the point where it reaches $10+/ gallon.

Also keep in mind that current price of gas $4.50+- is not because there is less oil available, but because the suppliers are setting they see fit.

This will also provide a financial incentive for Americans to buy more fuel effiecients cars, which in turn would start a  cycle of car manufacturers making cheaper and more efficient cars (win/win). And also make us look at alternative options.

we don't need short terms fixes, we need long term solutions unfortunately no politician will would be elected under those conditions.

if you are against please state why.
I

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
Re: $10/gallon will solve all problems
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 05:21:15 AM »
In the US I still see tons of SUV/Trucks with only 1 person in it. Those things are gas guzzlers yet people are still driving them. Also the average American car is pretty large.

I read that in Europe they are average nearly 40 mpg while we are averaging 25 mpg.

Since we can't control supply (OPEC), I contend that we should control our demand.  This can be accomplished by taxing gasoline to the point where it reaches $10+/ gallon.

Also keep in mind that current price of gas $4.50+- is not because there is less oil available, but because the suppliers are setting they see fit.

This will also provide a financial incentive for Americans to buy more fuel effiecients cars, which in turn would start a  cycle of car manufacturers making cheaper and more efficient cars (win/win). And also make us look at alternative options.

we don't need short terms fixes, we need long term solutions unfortunately no politician will would be elected under those conditions.

i already wrote that a few days ago.

;D ;D

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 05:27:52 AM »

That's because the speed limits are much higher or nonexistant.  The solution is for everyone to drive much, much faster.  Put your foot down for the planet, Betty.

Nordic Beast

• Getbig V
  • Old World Values
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 05:29:28 AM »

well when you are paying out the ass for everything from food to electronics you will see the flaw in this-----------the trucking industry is a huge part of America and at $10 a gallon----everything we take for granted now will be 3-5times the cost

stupid and not very well thought out argument :-\

Red Hook

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2008, 05:32:09 AM »
well when you are paying out the ass for everything from food to electronics you will see the flaw in this-----------the trucking industry is a huge part of America and at $10 a gallon----everything we take for granted now will be 3-5times the cost

stupid and not very well thought out argument :-\

from my understand most trucks run on Diesel, the tax increase would not extend to Diesel
I

Red Hook

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2008, 05:35:08 AM »
i already wrote that a few days ago.

;D ;D

cool, this has been on my mind for a while yet the average person seem not able to grasp this concept.

this would immediately make people start to use mass transit or seek alternative options ( bikes, mopeds, car pool, diesel, electric, walk).  But as stated no politician would get elected if he mentioned this, this is the long answer that we need.
I

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2008, 05:38:36 AM »
That's because the speed limits are much higher or nonexistant.  The solution is for everyone to drive much, much faster.  Put your foot down for the planet, Betty.

lol, brutal bullshit here, i hope you are kidding.

Only country without general speed limits is germany, and even here we have lots of speed limits - plus, the amount of used gasoline is rising enormously when you speed.

Americans tned to drive big cars with big engines, while i.e. in italy and france, the bestsellers are small cars with small engines.

cool, this has been on my mind for a while yet the average person seem not able to grasp this concept.

this would immediately make people start to use mass transit or seek alternative options ( bikes, mopeds, car pool, diesel, electric, walk).  But as stated no politician would get elected if he mentioned this, this is the long answer that we need.

Plus it would free us from the arabs and save the environment.

Problem would be the transition time until new methods are available. With rising gas prices, EVERYTHING from living to food to entertainment will be super-expensive.

Laura Lee

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2008, 05:44:02 AM »
I heard it will be $8 a gallon by the end of the summer.   >:(
:D Weee

Red Hook

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2008, 05:45:01 AM »

Only country without general speed limits is germany, and even here we have lots of speed limits - plus, the amount of used gasoline is rising enormously when you speed.

Americans tned to drive big cars with big engines, while i.e. in italy and france, the bestsellers are small cars with small engines.

Plus it would free us from the arabs and save the environment.

Problem would be the transition time until new methods are available. With rising gas prices, EVERYTHING from living to food to entertainment will be super-expensive.

not really, just need to announce a plan like

"We will add a $1 tax to gas every calendar year for the next 5 years". Immediately people will start to buy the diesel and alternative options.
I

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2008, 05:46:42 AM »

Don't cry, it was your country that decided to "stir things up a little" in the middle east...  ;D ;D

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2008, 05:49:16 AM »
not really, just need to announce a plan like

"We will add a $1 tax to gas every calendar year for the next 5 years". Immediately people will start to buy the diesel and alternative options.

Diesel is more expensive than gasoline in europe.

Diesel = oil.

Hope this helps.

What you need is Hydrogen fuel, solar power or sth like that.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2008, 05:49:37 AM »

;D

You have to remember that a lot of American drivers will panic at speeds over 120 kph.  More fatalities = less drivers, lessening the drain on the planet's resources.  A high proportion of them will probably be obese since fat people have poor reaction time.

Valley

• Getbig II
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2008, 05:50:19 AM »
Gas/petrol and diesel is already £5/10 dollars a gallon in the U.K

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2008, 05:52:34 AM »
;D

You have to remember that a lot of American drivers will panic at speeds over 120 kph.  More fatalities = less drivers, lessening the drain on the planet's resources.  A high proportion of them will probably be obese since fat people have poor reaction time.

how about just putting a ban on anything bigger than a smart?

fat people cannot fit in so the problem will be solved as 70% americans = overweight.

Laura Lee

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2008, 05:53:28 AM »
Don't cry, it was your country that decided to "stir things up a little" in the middle east...  ;D ;D

There are no tears in my post.  that's a pissed off smiley.  >:(

...and when did I become president that you can blame me for the "stir up in the middle east"?  ???  (not that - that is the reason for the fuel increase anyway)

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2008, 05:54:19 AM »
Gas/petrol and diesel is already £5/10 dollars a gallon in the U.K

But if the dollar recovers it will only be 7 or 8 dollars per gallon, so you'll be feeling some relief.

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2008, 05:56:11 AM »
There are no tears in my post.  that's a pissed off smiley.  >:(

...and when did I become president that you can blame me for the "stir up in the middle east"?  ???  (not that - that is the reason for the fuel increase anyway)

Who did you vote?  ;D ;D

But if the dollar recovers it will only be 7 or 8 dollars per gallon, so you'll be feeling some relief.

Never gonna happen.

Greedy fat idiots with too many credit cards killed the dollar.  ;D

CQ

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • TGT
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2008, 05:56:46 AM »

This is prolly drivel, as comparing the driving we do to that those in larger nations do is nowhere near an accurate measure - but we are at $8 a gallon now, and no one is thinking to catch a bus.

Not a thought, gov tried some campaign to encourage us to bus it and that was met with hyena like laughs and disbelief of government while we drove around in our cars.

Laura Lee

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2008, 05:57:55 AM »
Who did you vote?  ;D ;D

Not for the current.  ;D

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2008, 05:59:55 AM »
Not for the current.  ;D

i hope you vote for the right person this year...  ;D ;D

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2008, 06:06:53 AM »
What would you do to get a flying car?

Nordic Beast

• Getbig V
  • Old World Values
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2008, 06:17:02 AM »
What would you do to get a flying car?

I LOVE THAT CLIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  ;D ;D ;D

Brutal_1

• Getbig V
  • Your best is...
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2008, 06:54:09 AM »

Not against it, but i don't think it would change this. 

I still remember years ago listening to a talk show where they made your exact claim, this was when gas was over 2.50/gallon...they said, "gas should be $5 per gallon, then nobody would be driving an SUV or not commuting anymore"

lol...well, we've seen how that worked out  ::)
just not good enough

tommywishbone

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Biscuit
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2008, 06:59:33 AM »
25 mpg? I don't know anyone who has ever gotten over 20 mpg (daily average) in real world driving.
a

y19mike77

• Getbig II
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2008, 07:02:07 AM »
What is your reasoning why we shouldnt drive gas guzzlers? Oh wait, you must think global warming is real...
lmfao hahahahhahhaha. Another mindless lib.