Author Topic: McCain slams Supreme Court on terrorist detainees  (Read 1282 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
McCain slams Supreme Court on terrorist detainees
« on: June 14, 2008, 11:19:16 AM »
I have previously said foreign suspected terrorists shouldn't be entitled to habeas and I still believe that, but if the alternative is you leave them in prison indefinitely without charges, then to that extent I agree with the Supreme Court's decision and disagree with McCain.  What we've been doing is Kafkaesque. 

Jun 14, 12:31 AM EDT

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Republican presidential candidate John McCain on Friday sharply denounced a Supreme Court decision that gave suspected terrorist detainees a right to seek their release in federal courts.

"I think it's one of the worst decisions in history," McCain said. "It opens up a whole new chapter and interpretation of our constitution."

McCain is one of the authors of the 2006 Military Commissions Act which set up procedures for the handling of detainees. The act denied the detainees access to federal courts.

The Supreme Court on Thursday said that provision of the law violated the constitution.

McCain on Thursday said he had not read the ruling and reserved his criticism. But on Friday, speaking to about 1,500 people at a town hall meeting in Pemberton, N.J., he attacked the decision, saying the law he helped write "made it very clear that these are enemy combatants, they are not citizens, they do not have the rights of citizens."

The issue could be potent for McCain, who often encounters questions from audiences about how he would go about selecting potential justices for the court. McCain often cites Chief Justice John Roberts as the type of justice he would nominate. On Friday he especially praised him for his dissent in the detainee case.

McCain spoke to reporters after the town hall, accompanied by Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., who helped him write the military commissions law.

"What happened yesterday was unprecedented," Graham said. "Americans are going to be shocked to find that that mastermind of 9-11, Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, now has the same legal standing as an American citizen."

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/M/MCCAIN_DETAINEES?refresh=1

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Re: McCain slams Supreme Court on terrorist detainees
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2008, 05:37:52 PM »
He was a POW covered by the Geneva Convention, but the Vietnamese essentially ignored those guidelines and tortured and murdered POWs. 

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2008, 06:21:18 PM »
What we've been doing is Kafkaesque. 

Haha agreed. But this only makes things worse for them really. Apparently they will be going to some jail, that is about 10x worse than club gitmo, overseas.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2008, 08:58:48 PM »
I have previously said foreign suspected terrorists shouldn't be entitled to habeas and I still believe that, but if the alternative is you leave them in prison indefinitely without charges, then to that extent I agree with the Supreme Court's decision and disagree with McCain.  What we've been doing is Kafkaesque. 

Jun 14, 12:31 AM EDT

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Republican presidential candidate John McCain on Friday sharply denounced a Supreme Court decision that gave suspected terrorist detainees a right to seek their release in federal courts.

"I think it's one of the worst decisions in history," McCain said. "It opens up a whole new chapter and interpretation of our constitution."

McCain is one of the authors of the 2006 Military Commissions Act which set up procedures for the handling of detainees. The act denied the detainees access to federal courts.

The Supreme Court on Thursday said that provision of the law violated the constitution.

So now McCain goes on record as being against the Constitution.
This is the man running for President that some of you are considering voting for?

:'(

Even sadder, a lot of Americans will vote for McCain, 'cause they can't bring themselves to vote for a Black guy

They say that in a democracy, ...people deserve the governments they elect.
All I can say is God help America if she can't get over race.
w

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2008, 10:23:10 PM »
So now McCain goes on record as being against the Constitution.
This is the man running for President that some of you are considering voting for?

:'(

Even sadder, a lot of Americans will vote for McCain, 'cause they can't bring themselves to vote for a Black guy

They say that in a democracy, ...people deserve the governments they elect.
All I can say is God help America if she can't get over race.

Against the Constitution.   ::)  Him and four Supreme Court Justices. 

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2008, 11:28:18 PM »
Against the Constitution.   ::)  Him and four Supreme Court Justices. 

Ya well considering the travesty they committed in 2000, I guess one might have a point questioning them.  :-\
w

Slapper

• Getbig V
  • Vincit qui se vincit
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2008, 07:52:52 AM »
He was a POW covered by the Geneva Convention, but the Vietnamese essentially ignored those guidelines and tortured and murdered POWs. 

And we, the USA, did torture detainees in Viet Nam too.

Let it be known.

Slapper

• Getbig V
  • Vincit qui se vincit
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2008, 07:54:37 AM »
Ya well considering the travesty they committed in 2000, I guess one might have a point questioning them.  :-\

Only in 2000? The supreme court has made some really baaaaad decisions throughout our short history.

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2008, 08:10:07 AM »

in other words, only americans become POW's.

all others are "detainees"

gotcha !

NT

Don't worry, Americans only hold the bad guys.